Seniors: 15.5%

Juniors: 31%

Sophomores: 53.5%

Minutes against Morehead St

Seniors: 17%

Juniors: 25%

Sophomores: 51.5%

Freshmen: 6.5%

Let's not act like there's some gigantic difference here. The excuse of being young is weak.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just happened.

Majerus went out and got us a damn good team, but then his health failed, he was unable to do everything necessary to keep it going, and Crews tried hard with his recruiting during that period (despite not being a head coach) before Majerus passed away but most players do not want to go where the future head coach position is not clear (ever take a new job and you do not know who your boss is? not me.).

Again, Crawford might be our best player. He committed when Crews was just interim coach. Before the season started even.

I do see some positives and optimism. I just think the negatives outweigh them

Positives:

- Crawford is really good

- Yacoubou is more under control so far this year. Hitting more jump shots

- Yabrough is better about not going 1 on 5

- Gillmann is keeping the defense honest by hitting some 3's

- Reynolds is benefited by the rule changes but is also definitely improved.

- Neufeld is not ready yet but he at least moves well. Should be a fine player in a year or two

- We run some inbounds plays

- We have somewhat of a rotation

Negatives:

- Yarbrough still goes 1v5 and pouts any time he messes up

- Gillmann still doesn't jump for rebounds

- Jolly didn't get better

- Reggie still doesn't get it. At all.

- Roby seems to have regressed. Maybe he is hurt

- Bartley is slow to come back from his injury. Could be a career-nagging injury

- Crawford is counted on to score every game but can't

- Yacoubou still disappeared against Louisville and Wichita, our stiffest competition

- We still go away from a rotation a lot of times

- Our inbounds plays suck

- We didn't look prepared at all for Morehead St. We also looked exhausted.

- We turn it over a lot

- Zeke Moore is good but not a program changer likely

- Who else are we recruiting for next year? Upcoming years? Which ones will come here?

I also have 4 main questions: What is Crews' system? Does he have the players to fit that system? If so, why isn't it working? If not, why hasn't he gotten them yet considering the momentum the program had?

fantastically summarized. we need some big recruits and they need to be coached well. i'm concerned that we can't get said recruits, though, and that even if we did, they would be yarbrough on roids as far as hard-headedness. and i like yarbrough.

But your specific use of anti-conservative examples to push your own political agenda should not be welcome on a college basketball message board.

I advise reading whole sentences. Here is what I actually wrote, FYI:

I'm blaming flaming blowhards like O'Reilly, Hannity, Al Franken/ Bill Maher types (it's not one side or the other)...

also FYI: I have no clue how you could imagine what is my "political agenda." True blue Conservatives always like to imagine their heroes are actually not such rhetorical monsters, so I can guess what is your own "political agenda." I can explain mine, in this case: Ace is correct, it's simply civil discourse. Despite the right wing's consistent and groundbreaking excellence in dehumanizing discourse, I like to be an equal opportunity critic. Again: it's not one side or the other.

ps: your charming responses grow in their charm; I'm heartened to see that Moytoy and others agree. Perhaps, when faced with your own ignorance, you find it useful to throw out pathetic, disparaging remarks based on facile metaphors: it's "lonely up there on the mountain of knowledge all by yourself" and such. good one. Actually, however, there are lots of us up here - you ought to give it try, when speaking publicly. It's a trenchant strategy.

I advise reading whole sentences. Here is what I actually wrote, FYI:

I'm blaming flaming blowhards like O'Reilly, Hannity, Al Franken/ Bill Maher types (it's not one side or the other)...

also FYI: I have no clue how you could imagine what is my "political agenda." True blue Conservatives always like to imagine their heroes are actually not such rhetorical monsters, so I can guess what is your own "political agenda." I can explain mine, in this case: Ace is correct, it's simply civil discourse. Despite the right wing's consistent and groundbreaking excellence in dehumanizing discourse, I like to be an equal opportunity critic. Again: it's not one side or the other.

ps: your charming responses grow in their charm; I'm heartened to see that Moytoy and others agree. Perhaps, when faced with your own ignorance, you find it useful to throw out pathetic, disparaging remarks based on facile metaphors: it's "lonely up there on the mountain of knowledge all by yourself" and such. good one. Actually, however, there are lots of us up here - you ought to give it try, when speaking publicly. It's a trenchant strategy.

Actually not a "true blue conservative" as you suggest. Unlike some I make my own decisions based on issues rather than aligning with a party. Also, my mother has worked as a public school teacher for over 20 years in a predominantly Hispanic and Polish neighborhood and my father is a general contractor, far from certain silver spooned individuals. And in response to your "read the whole sentence remark" perhaps if your posts were shorter and less drawn out I might read it without exhausting of boredom. I understand you trying to prove your point and display your superior intelligence but I don't fall victim to your fancy words or sophisticated rhetoric. Even the fact that you choose "DoctorB" as your name on a fan website just screams arrogance. You're a doctor? Bravo! The world is full of them and in 2 years I too shall be one.

Actually not a "true blue conservative" as you suggest. Unlike some I make my own decisions based on issues rather than aligning with a party. Also, my mother has worked as a public school teacher for over 20 years in a predominantly Hispanic and Polish neighborhood and my father is a general contractor, far from certain silver spooned individuals. And in response to your "read the whole sentence remark" perhaps if your posts were shorter and less drawn out I might read it without exhausting of boredom. I understand you trying to prove your point and display your superior intelligence but I don't fall victim to your fancy words or sophisticated rhetoric. Even the fact that you choose "DoctorB" as your name on a fan website just screams arrogance. You're a doctor? Bravo! The world is full of them and in 2 years I too shall be one.

I believe he's on the SLU faculty. You might take one of his classes one day.

Med students in their second year think they are the main holders of smarts in the universe, and cannot wait to get to their clinical years. Well, not so fast Brigadier, life is not a bowl of cherries. I know what follows has absolutely nothing to do with basketball or with the ongoing narrative, but I certainly think it is more entertaining that the constant and repetitive "fire Crews" slogan.

I think the following map through a medical education and training may interest our friend Big MouthBilliken. What I say is all true and based upon personal experience. Let me give you a glimpse of what a medical education may be like. Freshman year is like your introduction to memorization 101, you and the other freshmen are still fully fleshed people, freshly graduated from college, with diverse interests and avocations. By second year the level of cut throating has risen to incredible levels. You take your notes and books with you to go to the bathroom if you are studying for an exam in the library, otherwise when you come back some of your "friends" may have disappeared them to improve the curve and things like that. Everyone has a cute nickname like Buddha, or Dirt Bag, or Broccoli. Most of the kids in the class are getting married to basically anyone that will say yes to them, I think this is the case just so that they can have sex in the few occasions they are free... I had a roomate in freshman year of med school who went to Florida for spring break. He met this gal making a line at a hot dog stand and married her within 2 weeks of meeting her, she said yes. By the third year you are in the hospital and you go from thinking you are a great intellect to thinking you are a complete baboon that knows nothing at all. You are forced to cone down on business (patient care and diagnosis), this literally takes most of your time when you are not asleep or in the bathroom. By Senior year you become harder and more aggressive, and choose your specialty. The harshest and most aggressive become orthopods (7-10 years), the most laid back, psychiatrists (3-5 years), the most touchy feely pediatrics (3-5 years), they ones that have no use for other human beings become pathologists (3-7 years). The money hungry guys go into ophthalmology, dermatology, or plastic surgery (lots of money in mammary implants). The topics of conversation become totally restricted to medicine, making money, and football. And let me tell you that it gets harsher as you get into residency. By the time you are a senior resident you find out that your whole universe consists of medical or medical affiliated people. All the women you know are nurses (we only had 2 girls in my med school class, one was a missionary nun going back to Africa for residency I cannot recall where). Worse, if you go to a party, a real party, there will always be someone among those giving the party that is an MD. Holy Moly, nothing worse than being an internist and going to a party full of surgeons talking about bad gallbladders they have known and taken off... Occasionally you think you have hit the jackpot because the surgeon who is giving the party is married to someone in the foreign service. So you go to the party thinking you are finally going to talk about something other than medicine (which by that time you have been talking incessantly with others for years on end), and what do you find out? When you go into the living room or dining room or whatever place it is that the foreign service people are congregated at (no, they do not talk with surgeons either) then you find out that they might as well be talking Japanese or something like it. You feel once more like you felt at the beginning of hospital service, an ignoramus, a baboon that knows nothing about the world. You have been left behind in the dust by your years of medical education while other people learned about the world and all it has to offer. What do you really know after all of these years? You know medicine for sure, you know a bit about money, and a fair amount about football. What can I say, it is or can become, a hell of a way to make a living.

There are a lot of years of personal experience in the paragraph above. The issue about getting married to just about anyone that crossed your path and was willing to put up with your medicine was insane or so I thought. Of course there were divorces, etc... Those 7 years of my life were surreal, like living inside a Salvador Dali painting...

All the best to our friend BigMouthBilliken in his pilgrimage through a medical education. I often thought that there were two training programs that, in my limited knowledge of the subject, aimed to destroy the person that came into the program the very first day and replace that person with something that fitted the mold of the profession. I think those two training programs are the Marine Corps (once a Marine always a Marine and proud of it forever), and a medical education. So, BigMouthBilliken, hope you like it and you fit the mold, life is very tough if you do not. Oh, and when you hear the nurses in the wards talking about a Dr. they call "Friendly Frank" just try to stay the hell away from him, and never go into practice with him. One last thing, when the nurses give you a party on the last day of your rotation through a service and present you with a fleet's enema bottle wrapped as a present, take it with a smile, you probably deserve it.

At the very least let's compare each set of sophs

Loe > Gillmann

Jett > Reynolds

McCall > Bartley

Evans > Yarbrough

Barnett = Roby

_____ > Jolly

After further thought, I deem this to be inaccurate. You seem to be comparing what you remember about the 2010 class as seniors to the current sophomores (who are less than 10 games into their sophomore seasons).

Let's make it a fair apples-to-apples comparison. About a third of the way into their sophomore seasons, the 2010 class had Brian Conklin in a breakout year (first team All A-10!) and Kyle Cassity as seniors and Kwamain Mitchell (one of SLU's best ever guards), Cody Ellis (a gamechanger for SLU), and Cory Remekun as juniors. They carried the load, though Cassity's role diminished much later in the season and Remekun was always a role player, though he was a good contributor for post defense off of the bench. By comparison, this year all there is are Ash Yacoubou not quite living up to the transfer-year hype as a senior and Mike Crawford (steady, but not yet quite ready for stardom) and Reggie Agbeko as juniors. These upperclassmen are not carrying nearly as much of the load, putting a lot more weight of responsibility on the sophomores and exposing them a lot more to situations they don't yet have the experience to thrive in.

With that background established, let's now compare how the 2010 class looked in mid-December 2011 to how the current sophomores look now.

Loe = Gillmann

Jett =/< Reynolds

McCall =/> Bartley

Evans </= Yarbrough

Barnett < Roby

I would say that Austin Gillmann is on a trajectory similar to that of Rob Loe. Miles Reynolds is probably playing better and contributing more thus far this season than Jordair Jett did early in his sophomore season, when he could hardly be trusted not to turn the ball over. Marcus Bartley has been set back by the foot injury, which prevented him from taking advantage of the summer practice and exhibition tour, but Mike McCall could hardly sit Cassity down by this time in 2011 after leading the team in scoring the prior year. Milik Yarbrough led the team in scoring and rebounding as a freshman and is contributing considerably thus far as a sophomore -- still learning and growing into his role (which could eventually be as a star) -- whereas Dwayne Evans had yet to get his Shaft moniker by this time four years ago. Evans did begin to come on strong midway through the year, as he did as a freshman, but it took some time in each of his first two years. Davell Roby seems to have had his role diminished somewhat at the beginning of this season as compared to the latter portion of last season, but he's still in the rotation and has been coming on recently, while Jake Barnett warmed the bench at this point four years ago. And the fact that Brett Jolly is a sixth player in the class and the roster has fewer upperclassmen as the 2011-12 team further demonstrates why a little bit more patience is required of this group. Yes, other teams have underclassmen and still seem to be better, but do those teams have upperclassmen carrying a lot more of the load than these Billikens?

After further thought, I deem this to be inaccurate. You seem to be comparing what you remember about the 2010 class as seniors to the current sophomores (who are less than 10 games into their sophomore seasons).

Let's make it a fair apples-to-apples comparison. About a third of the way into their sophomore seasons, the 2010 class had Brian Conklin in a breakout year (first team All A-10!) and Kyle Cassity as seniors and Kwamain Mitchell (one of SLU's best ever guards), Cody Ellis (a gamechanger for SLU), and Cory Remekun as juniors. They carried the load, though Cassity's role diminished much later in the season and Remekun was always a role player, though he was a good contributor for post defense off of the bench. By comparison, this year all there is are Ash Yacoubou not quite living up to the transfer-year hype as a senior and Mike Crawford (steady, but not yet quite ready for stardom) and Reggie Agbeko as juniors. These upperclassmen are not carrying nearly as much of the load, putting a lot more weight of responsibility on the sophomores and exposing them a lot more to situations they don't yet have the experience to thrive in.

With that background established, let's now compare how the 2010 class looked in mid-December 2011 to how the current sophomores look now.

Loe = Gillmann

Jett =/< Reynolds

McCall =/> Bartley

Evans </= Yarbrough

Barnett < Roby

I would say that Austin Gillmann is on a trajectory similar to that of Rob Loe. Miles Reynolds is probably playing better and contributing more thus far this season than Jordair Jett did early in his sophomore season, when he could hardly be trusted not to turn the ball over. Marcus Bartley has been set back by the foot injury, which prevented him from taking advantage of the summer practice and exhibition tour, but Mike McCall could hardly sit Cassity down by this time in 2011 after leading the team in scoring the prior year. Milik Yarbrough led the team in scoring and rebounding as a freshman and is contributing considerably thus far as a sophomore -- still learning and growing into his role (which could eventually be as a star) -- whereas Dwayne Evans had yet to get his Shaft moniker by this time four years ago. Evans did begin to come on strong midway through the year, as he did as a freshman, but it took some time in each of his first two years. Davell Roby seems to have had his role diminished somewhat at the beginning of this season as compared to the latter portion of last season, but he's still in the rotation and has been coming on recently, while Jake Barnett warmed the bench at this point four years ago. And the fact that Brett Jolly is a sixth player in the class and the roster has fewer upperclassmen as the 2011-12 team further demonstrates why a little bit more patience is required of this group. Yes, other teams have underclassmen and still seem to be better, but do those teams have upperclassmen carrying a lot more of the load than these Billikens?

No offense but no way

I'm not offended, but do you mean to tell me that that's all the evidence you have to support your comparison?

I find the comparisons to that team irrelevant unless there has been a resurrection of Rick Majerus. Crews doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with his mediocre track record. If this team were coached by Majerus, I'd have some hope.

I'm not offended, but do you mean to tell me that that's all the evidence you have to support your comparison?

Jett averaged one turnover per game over the first 8 games of his sophomore season. Reynolds averages 2.3. So your statement is just wrong. I could go through and compare everyone's stats, kenpom stats, etc but it would be a waste of time. The two classes aren't remotely comparable at this point in their careers

Jett averaged one turnover per game over the first 8 games of his sophomore season. Reynolds averages 2.3. So your statement is just wrong. I could go through and compare everyone's stats, kenpom stats, etc but it would be a waste of time. The two classes aren't remotely comparable at this point in their careers

Jett came off of the bench and didn't play the majority of the game, and he wasn't a primary ballhandler, at this point of his sophomore season. Reynolds has been starting, been the primary ballhandler, and scoring in double figures thus far as a sophomore.

I simply find your assertion that the classes aren't remotely comparable to lack validity.