SLU v. Alabama A&M - Game Day Thread

SluSignGuy

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, not so much; I'm blaming flaming blowhards like O'Reilly, Hannity, Al Franken/ Bill Maher types (it's not one side or the other) or even Trump -- not to mention their sportstalk disciples like -- I don't know, off the top of my head, Stephen Smith, Dan Patrick, Jim Rome, or local guys like Kevin Wheeler. Most of these guys rose to fame in the Rush Limbaugh era -- so no, I'm not blaming young folks. Monkey see, monkey do... the fall of the public sphere. Me no like.

To be fair, I don't find JMM, slufan13 or pistol to be in the blowhard group. BigMouthBilliken, definitely. But not the other 3.

Yes because many kids these days are watching Bill O'Reilly and Hannity and most young adults even know who Rush Limbaugh is.

My dear fellow -- if you don't think earlier generations affect later generations, I can give you about a hundred studies of media, culture, and rhetoric that might help out. Yes, the earlier guys have in fact shaped contemporary discourse, that's a fact not an opinion. I'm talking about the way culture works, so if the waters are getting too deep just step out of the pool.

Many young adults probably know very little about many things. The influence remains, whether they know it or not. It's like saying I don't know who P. T. Barnum was, therefore he must have had no real influence in my life. Another blue sweater moment, from Devil Wears Prada. Such a charming and astute reply!

Which years were the 2 year recruiting gap? Crawford and Yacoubou are two of our three best players so I assume you aren't talking about either of them

Did you happen to notice we only had one senior last year, and one (a transfer) this year?

Three upperclassmen, total, this year? One BIG?

TWO

YEAR

RECRUITING

GAP

WE

ONLY

HAVE

ONE

SENIOR

AND

TWO

JUNIORS

NOW

You and others like to point out the two year recruiting gap when talking about the junior and senior class. Fair enough.

If Crews was so hamstrung when it came to recruiting in 2013 why does the '13 class include the two best player he recruited?

You would think that the best players he recruited would have come in one of the last two classes. The two best players he brought into the program were in what you call a lost recruiting year.

My dear fellow -- if you don't think earlier generations affect later generations, I can give you about a hundred studies of media, culture, and rhetoric that might help out. Yes, the earlier guys have in fact shaped contemporary discourse, that's a fact not an opinion. I'm talking about the way culture works, so if the waters are getting too deep just step out of the pool.

Many young adults probably know very little about many things. The influence remains, whether they know it or not. It's like saying I don't know who P. T. Barnum was, therefore he must have had no real influence in my life. Another blue sweater moment, from Devil Wears Prada. Such a charming and astute reply!

Wow is it lonely up there on the mountain of knowledge all by yourself? The argument was not whether older generations affect new ones; that's a damn given and you, I and kids in the mud huts of Africa know that. But your specific use of anti-conservative examples to push your own political agenda should not be welcome on a college basketball message board.

Did you happen to notice we only had one senior last year, and one (a transfer) this year?

Three upperclassmen, total, this year? One BIG?

So when do Agbeko Gillman Jolly and Neufeld start progressing like Conklin Ellis Loe etc?

MB in major D1 basketball, there can never be a 2 year hiatus in recruiting and development. Two year hiatus is pretty much a death sentence for any program.

Somebody is too blame. If not rickma because he was too sick, and not crews because he wasn't in control, then who? I guess you have to be blaming Chris May for allowing it.

There is no acceptable reason for a two year hiatus of any kind when the program finally had reached national respect.

Now we are losing games to the likes of morehead state and playing buy games to the waning minutes of games. I really don't want to hear about our young roster. None of them appear to be the equal of evans or jett let alone larry hughes. That would have allowed me to be patient.

Yarbrough and Welmer are underclassmen BIGS, too. You selectively left them out.

Well I left Yarbrough out because I don't know if he really qualifies as a big or not. He's always considered himself a 3. But still throw him in - it doesn't do much for the argument.

And if you're reaching for Wellmer, a guy who hasn't played D1, there must not be a lot defensible about the current bigs' progressions.

MB in major D1 basketball, there can never be a 2 year hiatus in recruiting and development. Two year hiatus is pretty much a death sentence for any program.

Somebody is too blame. If not rickma because he was too sick, and not crews because he wasn't in control, then who? I guess you have to be blaming Chris May for allowing it.

There is no acceptable reason for a two year hiatus of any kind when the program finally had reached national respect.

Now we losing games to the likes of morehead state and playing buy games to the waning minutes of games. I really don't want to hear about our young roster. None of them appear to be the equal of evans or jett let alone larry hughes. That would have allowed me to be patient.

Nobody is to blame.

It just happened.

Majerus went out and got us a damn good team, but then his health failed, he was unable to do everything necessary to keep it going, and Crews tried hard with his recruiting during that period (despite not being a head coach) before Majerus passed away but most players do not want to go where the future head coach position is not clear (ever take a new job and you do not know who your boss is? not me.).

So the greatness that Majerus achieved then unfortunately left us with a two year gap.

The KEY to our ability to be successful as a mid major is to have a team deep with BIGS, as Majerus demonstrated.

No, I do not realistically think that we will return to the Majerus glory days.

I just think certain posters are way out of line and should not blame Crews for our current status, that our 6 sophs and 3 freshmen (all 3* and 2*) will get us back to a solid competitive level.

(you think Larry Hughes 5* types are in the pot for us?)

I do see some positives and optimism. I just think the negatives outweigh them

Positives:

- Crawford is really good

- Yacoubou is more under control so far this year. Hitting more jump shots

- Yabrough is better about not going 1 on 5

- Gillmann is keeping the defense honest by hitting some 3's

- Reynolds is benefited by the rule changes but is also definitely improved.

- Neufeld is not ready yet but he at least moves well. Should be a fine player in a year or two

- We run some inbounds plays

- We have somewhat of a rotation

Negatives:

- Yarbrough still goes 1v5 and pouts any time he messes up

- Gillmann still doesn't jump for rebounds

- Jolly didn't get better

- Reggie still doesn't get it. At all.

- Roby seems to have regressed. Maybe he is hurt

- Bartley is slow to come back from his injury. Could be a career-nagging injury

- Crawford is counted on to score every game but can't

- Yacoubou still disappeared against Louisville and Wichita, our stiffest competition

- We still go away from a rotation a lot of times

- Our inbounds plays suck

- We didn't look prepared at all for Morehead St. We also looked exhausted.

- We turn it over a lot

- Zeke Moore is good but not a program changer likely

- Who else are we recruiting for next year? Upcoming years? Which ones will come here?

I also have 4 main questions: What is Crews' system? Does he have the players to fit that system? If so, why isn't it working? If not, why hasn't he gotten them yet considering the momentum the program had?

Nobody is to blame.

It just happened.

Majerus went out and got us a damn good team, but then his health failed, he was unable to do everything necessary to keep it going, and Crews tried hard with his recruiting during that period (despite not being a head coach) before Majerus passed away but most players do not want to go where the future head coach position is not clear (ever take a new job and you do not know who your boss is? not me.).

So the greatness that Majerus achieved then unfortunately left us with a two year gap.

The KEY to our ability to be successful as a mid major is to have a team deep with BIGS, as Majerus demonstrated.

No, I do not realistically think that we will return to the Majerus glory days.

I just think certain posters are way out of line and should not blame Crews for our current status, that our 6 sophs and 3 freshmen (all 3* and 2*) will get us back to a solid competitive level.

(you think Larry Hughes 5* types are in the pot for us?)

The difference with Majerus recruiting 3* players and Crews recruiting 3* players is that Rick actually had a vision and knew what kinds of players he wanted. You can only be a top team with a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits if you have a system where those players play specific roles. They aren't talented enough to run and gun like Kentucky or the other big name schools, so you have to create a specific system that will allow them to play certain roles and become one cohesive unit. Stevens did it with Butler before they started landing bigger recruits, Shaka did it as well with VCU.

I don't see that kind of vision at all with the way Crews has constructed this roster, and the result is that the program could be set back for years. Complete rebuild required. I'm not even sure if you could just bring in a new coach after this season and expect to make the NCAA in two years with the current roster....