Crews PD Article

Billboy1

A zone is not difficult to understand...my goodness. When you are 12 years old you learn how to play a zone in about an hour. These are D1 bball players...

Is he really scared to install something when zero of our guards can say in front of their man. The man D wasn't working Jimmy...

I am sorry but Crews needs to go.

This program is a dumpster fire right now.

He says so many different things it's hard to know what actually went on. Reynolds sat for a long stretch because he only knew how to play zone defense and Crews only wanted to play man. And now we hear Crews secretly wanted to play zone but didn't think it was worth spending time on. If there isn't time during a season like this to try and teach/experiment with new things, I'm not sure when there ever will be. Unless next year is even more of a lost cause.

Sorry Old guy, but I think something flew right over your head again. Mark Reynolds is on the Cardinals and....oh, forget it.

No need to apologize White Pelican, the truth is revealed, the only sport I am interested in and follow is Billiken basketball. I really do not know the names of the Cardinals, Rams, or Blues. However I am surprised that Box found out about Mark Reynolds' epic cleansing BM. It never crossed my mind that we were talking about any team other than the Bills. I really thought Box was showing the incredible detail of Billiken insider information he is able to access.

I do hope no one minds my sense of humor.

Since it is so confusing to you, allow me to help:

Yes, a plan exists. Minutes are earned. There was much inconsistency, especially among freshmen but also, and more disturbingly, among upperclassmen. The coach reduced the number of new schemes, since the team had trouble being consistent with simpler schemes. All things being equal, the freshmen got the minutes. Help-side defense and turnovers were the major culprit (duh!). So please, guys: help on defense and do not turn the ball over. All of it makes sense to me.

some of the complaining on here stems from the turncoat nature of fandom: it's as if the many awards for coach of the year, not to mention decades of experience, simply dissolve into thin air; so impatient people overthink what is actually happening ("Crews has no plan, Crews is more confused than the players").

Read the book BLINK and you will see that, given the years of experience, Crews has forgotten much more about coaching basketball than a dozen people on here have ever learned, and that in a "blink" of an eye he is able to discern effort, learning, motivation, and so forth, among a group like this. And Old Guy is right: no dirty laundry in public, and I respect that. The knucklehead stuff will work itself out soon enough, and the guys who end up leaving will dramatically alter the team chemistry as well--mainly for the good, I suspect.

signed, patient believer in the coach--and his system ( which worked just fine in recent history)

Well Doc B, you disappoint me. If you can't discern that a bunch of guys on an Internet board know way more than a guy with 30 years of coaching and playing experience, then I don't know what to tell you...

How do you earn time? Yacoubou turned it over 2nd most on the team and had some major defensive lapses, but apparently he was the only one who "got it." Yarbrough shot 23% and had more turnovers than made baskets over his last 4 games yet he got 20 mpg. Reggie averaged .23 rebounds per minute in his first 26 games and .28 in his last 5 yet his minutes more than doubled. Crawford was in the top 3 of the A10 in eFG% and averaged 18 mpg, has a horrible defensive game against Mason, and then averages 28 mpg in the last 3. Reynolds' playing time was a complete shot in the dark. Played 20+ minutes 5 different times and also didn't get into 6 different games.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. The players were affected and really struggled with the "yank" and constantly changing lineups. You can say it's on them for not being able to handle it, but the coach can't continue doing something the team can't handle.

Crews may be a good coach. We'll find out soon enough. But he was not a good coach this season.

I am surprised that Box found out about Mark Reynolds' epic cleansing BM. It never crossed my mind that we were talking about any team other than the Bills. I really thought Box was showing the incredible detail of Billiken insider information he is able to access.

Agree.

No need to apologize White Pelican, the truth is revealed, the only sport I am interested in and follow is Billiken basketball. I really do not know the names of the Cardinals, Rams, or Blues. However I am surprised that Box found out about Mark Reynolds' epic cleansing BM. It never crossed my mind that we were talking about any team other than the Bills. I really thought Box was showing the incredible detail of Billiken insider information he is able to access.

I do hope no one minds my sense of humor.

Nah, I just happen to be in Florida right now, so my Mark Reynolds intell is stronger than my Miles Reynolds intell.

Regarding Miles, it's only acceptable for him to be in one of the following places:

1. Weight room

2. Weight room

3. Weight room

4. Classroom

5. Gym room

6. Library room

7. With Beyoncé in a room

Nah, I just happen to be in Florida right now, so my Mark Reynolds intell is stronger than my Miles Reynolds intell.

Regarding Miles, it's only acceptable for him to be in one of the following places:

1. Weight room

2. Weight room

3. Weight room

4. Classroom

5. Gym room

6. Library room

7. With Beyoncé in a room

truf.

A zone is not difficult to understand...my goodness. When you are 12 years old you learn how to play a zone in about an hour. These are D1 bball players...

Is he really scared to install something when zero of our guards can say in front of their man. The man D wasn't working Jimmy...

I am sorry but Crews needs to go.

This program is a dumpster fire right now.

I think some of the best coaches to ever coach the game would disagree with you. At a high level, the concept of zone defense is simple but there is a heck of a lot more to it than that.

Never panic.

It was one of those years where everything went wrong. 5 of our 6 BIGS were freshmen/sophs with no real experience (over matched), most all players lacked the consistency for Crews to establish an optimal 8-9 man rotation, no effective PG developed, we stepped up but lost some big games against top teams in the final minutes, and some talented players tried to do too much and in so doing produced turnovers and / or got stuffed taking it to the hoop. 6th youngest team in D-1, I think, and we didn't jell. We folded in the stretch, that was disappointing, we were weary; physical, mental, and maybe a few players lost heart, were not on board.

Our base of freshmen and sophs are as talented at this point as the same base teams for Majerus in the same years, some are solid 2&3 star players that most all of us were thrilled to get at the time.

Will they improve?

Some on this board say that getting older does not ensure getting better. WRONG, they will. Not all, but several, enough for us to improve.

The biggest jump for players is usually from freshmen to sophomore year, and we had 6 freshmen who played extensively this year... that is good. And Agbeko and Crawford are sophs who showed a lot at times, and can be strong, productive factors.

We shall see.

Those who trash the coach and some of the players, those who have panicked, are not good Billiken fans. Next year, 20 wins, assuming the core players all return, assuming a similar out of conference schedule.

I think some of the best coaches to ever coach the game would disagree with you. At a high level, the concept of zone defense is simple but there is a heck of a lot more to it than that.

Yep

Yep

Fine. Running a good zone takes practice. But is a below average zone better than a dreadful man defense? We didn't even try it once?...and crews wanted too?!

The number of apologists on this board are head-scratching to say the least

Fine. Running a good zone takes practice. But is a below average zone better than a dreadful man defense? We didn't even try it once?...and crews wanted too?!

+1. I think at some point this season we needed to at least TRY a zone. It couldn't have been any worse than our man to man at times. Crews can blame the players for not being able to learn it all he wants, but he's the coach. He recruited them. It's his job to teach them. If their basketball IQ is so low that they can't grasp the concept of a zone, they shouldn't be playing at this level. I tend to be of the opinion that Crews just couldn't be bothered to do it.

Realists, not apologists.

Crews didn't do a good job this year. He's our coach for next year though so I'm hoping for the best. His track record isn't anything special but I still think there's enough potential on this roster. I just hope the players are as dedicated as they need to be

+1. I think at some point this season we needed to at least TRY a zone. It couldn't have been any worse than our man to man at times. Crews can blame the players for not being able to learn it all he wants, but he's the coach. He recruited them. It's his job to teach them. If their basketball IQ is so low that they can't grasp the concept of a zone, they shouldn't be playing at this level. I tend to be of the opinion that Crews just couldn't be bothered to do it.

It couldn't possibly have been much worse than the Duquesne zone that we lost to twice.

gobillsgo, on 18 Mar 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

If it takes a whole season to teach an offense and only one player "gets" it, then the system needs to be changed. Teach a system that fits the strengths of your players. Let some players play through mistakes. Yacoubou did not play any better than anyone else and at times played worse. It did not seem to me that he was ahead of the other players. Crews has some coaching problems but won't admit it.