How the Bills can " B " better next year

The Wiz

" B " as in grade B. There was no sugar coating the numbers this year. We finished at D-. The purpose of this post is to show that we are not that far from being a B team (approx top 100). First let's see where we trended this year

We started Nov down. It is hard for me to tell whether we trended down or we were down from the start as Nov is my data collection month. In any case we bottomed on Dec 9 in the loss to SDakSt. After the 9th, we started to trend up till Jan 23, the 1st VCU game...a game that slipped away at the buzzer. That is where I am showing we peaked. We had come from deep in F territory to D. A win in either of the next 2 games would have pushed us to D+ and possibly to continue trending up for a nice season finish. But the win never came and we stalled out, moving sideways from Jan. 23 to Feb22 (the Lasalle game) After that win something happened. I don't what it was but the numbers took a steep downturn. Generally, something like that happens when there is a key injury to a star player. That doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. Perhaps some on here know the trigger event. But in any case the season ended after the LaS game.

So here we are ...just completed a D- ,just barely passing, sub 500 season . Now what? I think we should try to get on the Honor Roll ( B ) A B grade is a good season (around a top 100).... Not Dancing material but usually NIT. I am showing that had we been a B team this year our record would have reversed. (11-2, 9-9=20-11) Btw, I am not advocating we should shoot for NIT long term...we are talking about just next year. I think that is a reasonale goal.

So how do we get there?

First ...the players...Who wil we have? ...Who knows? Let's deal with what we know. Assuming Welmar will be as good or better than Manning , the question is will Neufeld be better than Glaze. The answer is an easy yes as Glaze didn't play this year. So next year we will, at a minimum, have better depth...add that to weght room and another year of experience and from a team aspect we should be better.

So how much better do we need to be? ...Let's look at the numbers...Here is what we need to do to become a B team. I have tried to use general box score categories so it is easy to follow.

Offense

FGM...1 more basket /gm

3ptM...1/2 more/gm...ie an extra 3pt basket every other game.

FTM....1 more /gm

TOs.....1 1/2 less / gm....if we got rid of the bad games ( 18+ ) we are there

Tot Reb...4 more/gm

Blks.....1 more/gm

Steals..1 more /gm

Assists...1 more/gm

Defense

FGM.........1 less basket/gm

3ptM..........1/2 /gm...ie 1 less every other game

Opp Tot Reb...1 less /gm

TO Opp......same

Blks (by opp)...1 less/gm

Steals(by opp)...1/2 /gm...ie 1 every other game

So there you have it. Do these things and make the Honor Roll and reverse the record.

There will be those who say...what about player transfers,.. what if ...what about..etc

I am telling you it doesn't matter ...unless you think the whole team is leaving than that's another story.

Bottomline....The point of this post is that we are not that far away...the numbers for next year are very doable. Let's get on the Honor Roll next year.

Thanks for doing this. They way you presented it it seems like this is doable as you said. I think the hardest things for us to improve on are the +4 rebounds/game, and the +1 blocks/game. Just my two cents. Hopefully EW and Nuefeld can be bangers not afraid of contact to snag some defensive boards. I dont see AG fulfilling that role even with added muscle. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Wiz, I know you have a program or system that somehow numerically gives the team a D minus.

But my goodness, we lost nearly 2/3 of our games, we finished dead last in a rather pedestrian conference and most of the teams we DID beat were cupcakes.

I sat through all the homes games and saw many of the others on the tube or computer. Our defense was bad, our rebounding was almost non-existent and the offense WAS non-existent.

I gotta give this year's team an F.

EDIT to add: the coaching left a lot to be desired too.

Wiz, I know you have a program or system that somehow numerically gives the team a D minus.

But my goodness, we lost nearly 2/3 of our games, we finished dead last in a rather pedestrian conference and most of the teams we DID beat were cupcakes.

I sat through all the homes games and saw many of the others on the tube or computer. Our defense was bad, our rebounding was almost non-existent and the offense WAS non-existent.

I gotta give this year's team an F.

EDIT to add: the coaching left a lot to be desired too.

I know it seems like an F especially after 3 great years but it could have been a lot worse. Ask San Jose St and Grambling St who didn't win any games. We won 11 and battled a lot of A and B teams close.

I know it seems like an F especially after 3 great years but it could have been a lot worse. Ask San Jose St and Grambling St who didn't win any games. We won 11 and battled a lot of A and B teams close.

Yeah, I 'm mostly just ranting a bit. It was a tough season to endure and I guess there isn't too much difference between D minus and F anyway. And you're right, it somehow could have been even worse. Here's to hoping we've hit bottom and the future will be much better!

Thanks for doing this. They way you presented it it seems like this is doable as you said. I think the hardest things for us to improve on are the +4 rebounds/game, and the +1 blocks/game. Just my two cents. Hopefully EW and Nuefeld can be bangers not afraid of contact to snag some defensive boards. I dont see AG fulfilling that role even with added muscle. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Manning had 2 blks /game...plus the 4 we need to add= 6 so ithe 2 new guys plus a full year of RA ..he only had 3.5/gm for the year ( much more year end) ..we should be able to make the +4. As for the blocks ...Manning had 0.9 blocks/gm ..so we need 1.9 more next year...I am sure with the 2 new guys plus some others adding an occasional block we should be able to make that stat also.

Id settle for a C after that train wreck of a season. Wiz, if it wouldn't require too much extra work on your end, what would we need theoretically to be a B+ or A- team? Much appreciated.

It does take some time to set up because it is not what I normally do. And I don't want to bite off more than the Bills can chew. This would be a nice swallow for next year. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would be pleased with a 20-11 record, a top 100 team and most of the projected stats above.

I would be pleased with a 20-11 record next year, provided we get more wins against conference teams than we did this year. I think this is doable but first the issues that plagued the team after the LaSalle win must be identified and corrected, otherwise I am afraid we may not do very well once more.

Wiz-

At one point last season you had us at an A-. This roster will not be a top 100 team next year. We have a lonnngggg way to go and I don't think crews will get us there.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "a lonnngggg way to go." This year we missed 29 shots per game. At least one of those shots every game was a "bunny"...layup or 1 or 2 footer. I remember Conklin's first year. He missed a bunch of "bunnies"...it was very frustrating. Then after that year he didn't miss them. Remember in the above example , we need 1 more 2 pt shot made per game.

Also, this year, we missed 7 FTs per game. We need 1 more per game ...If we get that extra 1 pt it will only bring our FT% up to 70%...not great but a difference maker. On defense, we gave up nearly 23 FG / game.. We need to stop 1 of those....Have we given the opponent any open looks in a game or an extra TO that lead to a free basket. Again 1 basket on D is a difference maker. As for Crews "getting us there". It isn't up to Crews, it is up to the players. Is Crews going to make that extra FT. Well then how will we get it. A player will have to go and make some extra FT practice shots. ..all the players...and a lot of FT shots.

I know you don't always agree with my game forecasts but one thing that is hard to disagree with is the section in each thread that has " #s to win" In almost every case this year had the Bills followed "The Formula" they would have won the game. In this thread I have created a season long formula for next year ...if they follow it ...they will have the 20 wins ...the top 100 ...the B grade.

Again, the point of this thread is to show that we are not that far away from being a good team. Those numbers are all very doable. Do we have a "lonnngggg way to go". I guess it depends on whether you see the glass as being 3/4 full or 1/4 empty.

I see the cup as 3/4 full.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "a lonnngggg way to go." This year we missed 29 shots per game. At least one of those shots every game was a "bunny"...layup or 1 or 2 footer. I remember Conklin's first year. He missed a bunch of "bunnies"...it was very frustrating. Then after that year he didn't miss them. Remember in the above example , we need 1 more 2 pt shot made per game.

Also, this year, we missed 7 FTs per game. We need 1 more per game ...If we get that extra 1 pt it will only bring our FT% up to 70%...not great but a difference maker. On defense, we gave up nearly 23 FG / game.. We need to stop 1 of those....Have we given the opponent any open looks in a game or an extra TO that lead to a free basket. Again 1 basket on D is a difference maker. As for Crews "getting us there". It isn't up to Crews, it is up to the players. Is Crews going to make that extra FT. Well then how will we get it. A player will have to go and make some extra FT practice shots. ..all the players...and a lot of FT shots.

I know you don't always agree with my game forecasts but one thing that is hard to disagree with is the section in each thread that has " #s to win" In almost every case this year had the Bills followed "The Formula" they would have won the game. In this thread I have created a season long formula for next year ...if they follow it ...they will have the 20 wins ...the top 100 ...the B grade.

Again, the point of this thread is to show that we are not that far away from being a good team. Those numbers are all very doable. Do we have a "lonnngggg way to go". I guess it depends on whether you see the glass as being 3/4 full or 1/4 empty.

Good to see there isn't just doom and gloom posted on the board and that there may be hope for next year. Lots of work by the players and coaches to get back on track. The fire Crews threads are stupid because it ain't happening after just one bad year.

Watch some of the GW RI game and what struck me was how physical both teams were. We all know they need to hit the weights and add muscle and strength, but it will pay dividends in unforeseen ways. it made a huge difference for Evans....It will be huge for MB, AG, BJ, MC, and MR. Davel seems like he is half way there. I look forward to seeing their growth!

Fully agree with this. However as you pointed out the team hit a wall after the LaSalle game, this must be corrected if things are going to improve.

I am basically burying my head in the sand until next year.

On a seperate but completely serious note...

Wiz - I am going to Vegas on Tuesday. Any interest in a quick chat regarding my picks?

Sure

Or Fairfield, who earned the "Francis Flop" for worst Catholic team in this year's Pope's Poll.

Or Fairfield, who earned the "Francis Flop" for worst Catholic team in this year's Pope's Poll.

While Fairfield only won 7 games and wound up as an F+ team they did beat a Dance team.....play-in opponent Manhattan.

Now that we have had some roster changes ....time to do an update.

Take the OP and add the numbers from the missing players (McB & Lan) to find out what we need to do to be good next year.

The new numbers can be made up by the 4 new players or a combination of the old and the new players together.

................................McB.& Lan.....................OP #'s......................New numbers needed

FGM............................2.7..............................1..................................3.7

Rebs............................2.2.............................4..................................6.2

3ptM.............................1.4............................O.5...............................1.9

FTM..............................1.2............................1...................................2.2

Asst...............................2.2............................1...................................3.2

Stl.................................1.2.............................1...................................2.2

Blks..............................NC.............................1...................................1

TOs (less/gm)..............1.5............................1.6................................-0.1...we are there..addition by subtraction

If there are additional roster changes, I will update again

Bottomline...As I stated in the OP ...very doable...In fact you could argue it may be easier now.

Now that we have had some roster changes ....time to do an update.

Take the OP and add the numbers from the missing players (McB & Lan) to find out what we need to do to be good next year.

The new numbers can be made up by the 4 new players or a combination of the old and the new players together.

................................McB.& Lan.....................OP #'s......................New numbers needed

Rebs............................2.2.............................4..................................6.2

3ptM.............................1.4............................O.5...............................1.9

FTM..............................1.2............................1...................................2.2

Asst...............................2.2............................1...................................3.2

Stl.................................1.2.............................1...................................2.2

Blks..............................NC.............................1...................................1

TOs (less/gm)..............1.5............................1.6................................-0.1...we are there..addition by subtraction

If there are additional roster changes, I will update again

Bottomline...As I stated in the OP ...very doable...In fact you could argue it may be easier now.

By 4 new players do you mean the 2 recruits plus 2 more future signees?