Rhode Kill from the MD couch ......

Taj79

.....didn't see it so no commentary.

All I have is the box score and the GDT thread and trying to interpret what you all have to say. Still questions persist ....

1) why the starting lineup? I get sticking Crawford in there, I'd say he deserves it but no Yacoubou? Seems an interesting and unexpected turn of events. Bench your leading scorer. I get the foul issues going forward but wonder about the origin of the start. So if you don't start him, he comes out even more uncontrolled and gets hit up with fouls (although I am sure the 51 total fouls called are an indication of A10 quality refs at work again).

2) While I get the calls for Roby as the point guard I do not believe I have seen enough skills to merit such. Its all hand in glove stuff but if someone like a Briante Weber type is all over your point, you have Evans or Yarbrough bring the ball up. Roby shows promise and all that as a very nice guard and he has made some nice passes but i have yet to see a whole package that suggest such. Again time will only tell.

3) Hocus-pocus aka now-you-see-him-now-you-don't: three minutes for Lancona and a paltry one for McBroom. Lancona is no big deal really but that flies smack in the face of seeing so much of him against Dayton. And how far has McBroom fallen? More importantly,why? I can only guess Crews and company have shifted gears 180 degrees from last year --- last year was win-win-win to the point of exhausting five players. This year, all 12 get thrown into the pool in what has to be an attempt to figure out who can play and who cannot.

4) Youth = turnovers but 22 is still too much. And four points in 30 minutes from our two freshmen bigs is just not enough.

5) The "Keep Reggie" bus is now boarding. Line score looks good. I also second the lineup with him at the five. What more damage could come from it? VCU's center is 6'6". None of Dayton's guys goes over the same. What really could it hurt? From the traditional aspect none of our big three (Manning, Jolly or Gillmann) gives us anything from a traditional five anyway. Give up the ghost for now.

Oh well, onto VCU. Question is how ugly will it get?

No explanation on AY being benched. My guess, he's a me first guy. Bet his brother, you met him, is advising him to transfer. I'd kind of like to see DR at the point for the balance. Out of all the FR, he's shown the most BB savvy. Really would like to see JM take to the pine. He's been a bust. Time to move on. Don't know what's keeping AM from minutes. But so much doesn't make sense this season why even question it?

AY is a high energy guy and the coaches probably wanted to see if that helped off the bench. It didn't work but you have to try different things when you are losing.

AM didn't get minutes because MR played so well. If he did people would be wondering why MR didn't play more. AM might get 30 minutes against VCU like he did the last game.

1, Ash has been a turnover machine the last two games so I've got no problem with him riding the pine at the beginning of this one. Unfortunately, the ball rarely made it to Crawford so the move didn't help us on offense. And of course MC was a non-factor on the boards and defensively. I hope Christian Williams is paying attention. If you come here and beat out Ash in practice, you can start as a freshman.

2. In our grind it out halfcourt offense, a point guard is a guy who can 1) Dribble the ball up the court without turning it over 2) Initiate the offense 3) Drive to the hoop when there's an opening. Bartley has gotten exposed as lacking in points 2 and 3. He has a tendency to pick up his dribble 30 feet from the basket and isn't a threat to score once he gets in the paint. Roby has already been our "point guard" for two games now. Reynolds shared point guard responsibilities in this game. And despite both having good games it made no difference because we're still playing 4 on 5 on offense/defense/on the boards until Gilmann puts on some muscle and fights it out with Neufeld next year for the starting job.

3. I've got no problem with slashing the minutes of players who will have a reduced role next year. Look at the standings. Next year, at least at the guard position, is already here.

4. Yep. Unfortunately it isn't all youth. It's a way of seeing. Milik, for example, simply doesn't see the game the way his fellow freshmen do. He seems genuinely surprised when he brings the ball up the court, beats one man, and another player on the opposing team is there to receive his errant pass. He doesn't think 2-3 steps ahead. Just because you can dribble doesn't make you a guard, son. Bartley does think ahead but isn't strong enough with the ball. Roby and Reynolds don't have those flaws in their games.

5. Hey, I'm all for measures that will put is in a better position to win. These kids need a morale boost going into the summer. Reggie's isn't a long term fix at the 5 but Crews can address next year and the Gilmann/Neufeld issue when it comes.

No explanation on AY being benched. My guess, he's a me first guy. Bet his brother, you met him, is advising him to transfer. I'd kind of like to see DR at the point for the balance. Out of all the FR, he's shown the most BB savvy. Really would like to see JM take to the pine. He's been a bust. Time to move on. Don't know what's keeping AM from minutes. But so much doesn't make sense this season why even question it?

Did the brother think we should just give AY the ball and get out of his way?

What Ash's brother said to me is unimportant. More importantly, what he said should IN NO WAY be interpreted to mean Ash is a "me first guy." That is an opinion formed by a mbm sitting way down south who hasn't met either Yacoubou.

What Ash's brother said to me is unimportant. More importantly, what he said should IN NO WAY be interpreted to mean Ash is a "me first guy." That is an opinion formed by a mbm sitting way down south who hasn't met either Yacoubou.

You got that MBM part right. Still, I've seen a lot of hoggishness from AY this year. Now, whether he thinks he's the only answer on the court, or it's just in his nature to like to score points and forget who wins or loses, I've no way of knowing. Either way, he seems to ignore the system, whatever it is, and makes some mad ill advised dashes to the hoop that usually don't end up well. I will say, he's got skills and talent, but he plays a lot like an out of control FR. He should know better.

I disagree on Ash. I have not seen him play as a ball hog. MY at times does not pass the ball out soon enough, but I still would not labor that ball hogging. I think both Ash and MY both feel they need to score, but I think the surrounding cast is growing, and contributing.

Suspect it is turnovers and not responding to coaching that led to AY not starting. Or perhaps he was sick or injured, crews tends to jkeep those things quiet....

-in the radio pre-game show yesterday Rammer and Earl were discussing the need to cut down on turnovers and that the starting lineup would be impacted by that goal so I guess that is what led to AY not starting

-what is so wrong with the "emphasis" is that we then went out and had 22 to's

Youth is a very difficult thing to deal with. 90% of freshmen come in with no idea what a D1 game is like and it takes a lot of hard gained experience before they get up to speed. For most of them, the transition doesn't happen until their 2nd year. Look at us. Our PG is now just really "gettiing it" after a full season and 25 games. Our freshmen are getting more involved, but even Larrier isn't quite fully ready yet. Look at what happened to VCU in the past 2 weeks, playing with a court full of underclassmen.

Patience my friends, patience. Your time will come soon. The tools are there. They just aren't fully sharpened.

Youth is a very difficult thing to deal with. 90% of freshmen come in with no idea what a D1 game is like and it takes a lot of hard gained experience before they get up to speed. For most of them, the transition doesn't happen until their 2nd year. Look at us. Our PG is now just really "gettiing it" after a full season and 25 games. Our freshmen are getting more involved, but even Larrier isn't quite fully ready yet. Look at what happened to VCU in the past 2 weeks, playing with a court full of underclassmen.

Patience my friends, patience. Your time will come soon. The tools are there. They just aren't fully sharpened.

+100. Let us sharpen our tools tomorrow on VCU then. We need a good win!

+100. Let us sharpen our tools tomorrow on VCU then. We need a good win!

Oh, please don't do that. We need to get on a roll and finish this thing for our first A10 win :D I see your guys are already in town and ready to rock. It's going to be a messy RVA on Tuesday. Hopefully not a messy game. Weather bites, but the STU will rock as usual.