Transition Year, But Is Crews Long-Term Answer?

aj_arete

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanna look at Crews' past then look at the big picture. 7 NCAA appearances in 21 years (I'm not counting Army. Sorry but that's not good enough for me.

Crews is a great leader and he was the perfect guy to take over when Majerus fell ill. But he's not the guy to restart a program. If he could've kept it going with a good class this year and just one more stud this year it'd be different.

It's fair to question Crews. He gets this year and next before you can make a final judgement but it's fine to question him.

I think there's more blame to go around. Certainly Crews could have recruited better last year. But the AD/President could have gotten serious about the program and made him full time coach earlier. Look at what Butler just did. Take the interim tag off earlier.

Also no one wants to say it. And even though I'm beyond tired of excuses, health is an excuse here. But RM didn't leave Crews with much if anything. I'll leave it at that.

Crews has a decent recruiting class here. Now he just has to develop them and use them has a collective group rather than trying to win with a couple guys.

Maybe the athletic department was not sold on him becoming our next head coach, but the success the team had kind of forced the decision? I like your second paragraph a lot. I am probably going to hold off until next year before being too critical, but I am surprised fans weren't more critical last season when he had a fairly loaded roster. Roy and I had some good back and forth privately about concerns with the team, but didn't put it on the board because those who did were ripped (I know Pistol for one).

It would have been really difficult to not offer the job to the National COY. The coaching fraternity and press would have been all over us for being unfair, stupid, etc. Actually, might have made it really difficult to get anyone decent to take the job. JC should have next year to show us we are making big strides toward getting back to the dance. If not, then the admin has to seriously consider making a move. We can't be dicking around for 5 years treading water in the sea of mediocrity.

It would have been really difficult to not offer the job to the National COY. The coaching fraternity and press would have been all over us for being unfair, stupid, etc. Actually, might have made it really difficult to get anyone decent to take the job. JC should have next year to show us we are making big strides toward getting back to the dance. If not, then the admin has to seriously consider making a move. We can't be dicking around for 5 years treading water in the sea of mediocrity.

Agreed.

If you wanna look at Crews' past then look at the big picture. 7 NCAA appearances in 21 years (I'm not counting Army. Sorry but that's not good enough for me.

Not good enough for me either. So he went to a few dances at Evansville? The NCAA landscape was different back then. And none of those teams really did anything. Hes not a coach who is going to make this program rise up like RM did. You replace him with Ben Jacobsen. Offer the farm after this season.

Not good enough for me either. So he went to a few dances at Evansville? The NCAA landscape was different back then. And none of those teams really did anything. Hes not a coach who is going to make this program rise up like RM did. You replace him with Ben Jacobsen. Offer the farm after this season.

Jacobson hasn't been to the dance in 4 years? How is Jacobson's resume so much better than crews'?

If you really believe running a successful program consists of firing coaches after 1 bad year I hope you are nowhere near our decision makers

I do not think he is the long-term answer, and I say that hoping I am wrong. Here is something I posted last spring when I was new to the forum, and for which I got a lot of instant backlash:

"New to the forum, but I've been following SLU basketball carefully for the past two seasons.

I have to say, I am not confident that Crews is the man for the coaching job at SLU.Yes, the Billikens had two great seasons, but a lot of that was just based off of the foundation that Majerus left (players, playing style, attitude, etc.). Crews did a great job helping the team navigate through the difficult circumstances of his first year, and the rapid change, but it seems that the team dwindled as Crews hand on the team began to show.

SLU didn't show up when it mattered in the tournament in 2013, and in late in the season in 2014. You can't always blame the coach for the team not showing up, but he doesn't have a proven track record of being able to get a team of mid-level talent to perform at higher levels (he didn't do much at Evansville, or Army).

I really like SLU's approach of signing under recruited players and developing them over 4 years, but for that you need a coach that has a proven track record of getting the best out of his players. Honestly, the rising sophomores, and incoming freshman don't look so great, and I am worried about SLU's future. I know we next season is expected to be a restructuring year, and I understand that one has to be patient, but I don't think Crews has put SLU in a good position for years after that.

I look at a comparable program like VCU who has signed 3 ESPN top 100 recruits and I am worried that SLU is just not competing. I hope I am proven wrong, but I don't think he is the man for the job."

I think we have seen more of this trend this season. I EXPECTED this season to be tough, and it is not the win/loss columns that i see as concerning. I would have expected this record with really any coach. Here is what I DO find concerning:

-As Crews has had his hand with players, we have not seen improvement/development (I will exclude the Freshmen because many of them need a natural adjustment period and are just not showing their floor). McBroom was not able to make a big jump, and Yacoubou didn't really turn into a difference maker with that year of practices. The Sophomores, which are the class that has seen really only Crews is the class that we are talking about not showing any signs of improvement.

-There are extremely frustrating parts of the Billiken's game that one would expect to see improve over the years and as the season progresses. Our big problem last year was 3 pt shooting. One would have thought that this would be addressed in the off season, and we can see that its still an issue. We have struggled with free throws all season, and the frustrations continue.

I think he is a great game manager. I will not take that away from him. I do believe, however, that it makes more than that to build a successful program. A coach has to be able to recruit well, develop, AND THEN be a great game manager.

+1

Excellent thoughts.

I think some of us on here are over reacting a little bit to this season. Yes, we got blown out by Davidson, but that is still not a valid reason to be calling for Crew's head or even question it. This year's team is no different than last year senior's freshmen year that went 12-19 in 2010-2011. It's like deja vu between that team and this one. We have some good things developing from this team if u look past the losses. MY is a stud. Roby is coming on as of late and AG is developing. This group of freshmen is going to produce some good teams within the next 3 years. Hang on guys and believe in the process. GO Bills.

I think some of us on here are over reacting a little bit to this season. Yes, we got blown out by Davidson, but that is still not a valid reason to be calling for Crew's head or even question it. This year's team is no different than last year senior's freshmen year that went 12-19 in 2010-2011. It's like deja vu between that team and this one. We have some good things developing from this team if u look past the losses. MY is a stud. Roby is coming on as of late and AG is developing. This group of freshmen is going to produce some good teams within the next 3 years. Hang on guys and believe in the process. GO Bills.

That team rarely got blasted the way this one has at times. They played tough for 2 games and got some ref BS then quit.

I'm starting to hate the comparisons to the 2010-2011 team...THAT TEAM GOT KWAMAIN BACK THE FOLLOWING YEAR! You know, one of the greatest Billikens of all time! Kwamain isn't walking through that door next year. Next year's team essentially trades John Manning and whoever transfers for Elliott Welmer and Matt Neufeld. Plus, that team played a significantly tougher schedule than this year's team.

Another thing...2010-2011 wasn't supposed to happen. Willie, Kwamain, and whoever else got dismissed were supposed to lead us to an NCAA Tournament that year. We should've had 4 straight years of NCAA Tournament appearances. We KNEW this year was coming.

The above post is spot on. KM came back, plus we had a JR. and SO class that were there with the great 4 FR class. We definitely do not have that this year, and therein lies the problem for the next two years. To beat a dead horse, the Soph class is killing us. AY will help, but he's no KM or JJ. Good reason to give all the FR as much time as possible. From what we've seen so far this is a team of 4 FR, AY, with AM and MC showing up at times. Doesn't exactly fill one with a great deal of optimism. Good post, Bizz.

I'm starting to hate the comparisons to the 2010-2011 team...THAT TEAM GOT KWAMAIN BACK THE FOLLOWING YEAR! You know, one of the greatest Billikens of all time! Kwamain isn't walking through that door next year. Next year's team essentially trades John Manning and whoever transfers for Elliott Welmer and Matt Neufeld. Plus, that team played a significantly tougher schedule than this year's team.

Another thing...2010-2011 wasn't supposed to happen. Willie, Kwamain, and whoever else got dismissed were supposed to lead us to an NCAA Tournament that year. We should've had 4 straight years of NCAA Tournament appearances. We KNEW this year was coming.

It's compared to 10-11 because it makes people feel good about the future of our program.

Agree with this completely. You had offer Crews the full time job and I was actually confident that he'd keep the momentum going. We've known for a while that this season would be a down one but I figured we'd be a borderline to mid level NIT team.

I thought the ceiling for this team was ~20 wins and that we'd likely end up with 16-17 wins and a CBI level team. We won't sniff 20 and it's unlikely we'll even hit 15.

We played about how I expected against Rhode Island. We played much better than I expected against GW. And we played much worse than expected against Davidson. So I guess we're about even...

Wouldn't put too much stock into that GW game given La Salle beat them by 15 yesterday, and the Explorers ain't nothing special this year. Also Duquense only lost to RI by 1 up there. This season is really starting to scare me on so many levels. Right now it looks like the A10 will get between 3-4 bids, VCU, Davidson, UD, and possibly GU, bad looking loss yesterday for the Colonials. More importantly, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out who we can beat.

Holy Lord, the level of insecurity, entitlement, and focused anger is reaching serious levels. Lots of people are engaging in the national passtime, first finding culprits for whatever bothers them (who has the blame), and then engaging in character assasination of these imagined culprits. Not pleasant stuff to read.

Holy Lord, the level of insecurity, entitlement, and focused anger is reaching serious levels. Lots of people are engaging in the national passtime, first finding culprits for whatever bothers them (who has the blame), and then engaging in character assasination of these imagined culprits. Not pleasant stuff to read.

You're right. And the war on terror's been won, Putin's a two bit nobody, race relations have never been better, and only 5.4% unemployment. Now that's pleasant stuff to read. Not true, but nice to read.

Didn't some people say we beat out Duke for Reggie? That guy is terrible and has no basketball ability.

I can't remember the exact thread, but when Reggie signed people on this board were incessantly raving about his "raw ability" so much they were conjuring up images of Neon Boudeaux from Blue Chips. Wonder if that's the problem...maybe we need Nick Nolte to fly down and teach him how to play. Regardless, we sure as hell didn't get Neon...hopefully we didn't give Reggie a fully loaded Lexus.

Whoever scouted him had to have thought they were looking at someone else. His lack of court sense would have been apparent whether he was playing against 8th graders or top tier high school talent. But, people enjoy projects I guess and maybe in our recruiting predicament we have to take risks. This one was a bust.