Post game show comments

bauman

Willie, I agree. I've been raving about him to other casual fans and they ask me what former Billiken I would compare him to and I really can't think of one. He's bigger than most of the guards in recent memory.

Mo Jeffers but better defensively. Ash draws fouls like crazy. A rare Billiken who gets to the line as often as a guard.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mo Jeffers but better defensively. Ash draws fouls like crazy. A rare Billiken who gets to the line as often as a guard.

And he appears to be a good free throw shooter which is huge. Jordair would've been way more efficient had he been able to capitalize on the free throws.

And he appears to be a good free throw shooter which is huge. Jordair would've been way more efficient had he been able to capitalize on the free throws.

agreed. thing is, it appears so far that jordair was a much better finisher. ash definitely has the body to take the hit and make those shots at the rim, but we haven't really seen it yet. hopefully, like his three point shot (which i'm not worried about), we can chalk it up to rust. imagine ash getting AND1s and hitting his threes. couple that with the rebounding and the defense, and look out.

man it's a weird feeling when you've got a coffee poop on deck and you're getting a semi-pudge over a man almost 10 years your younger.

Actually, my signature is correct. The 1943-1944 season was cancelled due to World War II. Now, there's a trivia question for you.

Even not counting 1943-1944, this is the 100th season. They did indeed have a team in 1914-1915. It is listed in all the team record books. What is the rationale behind counting the 14-5 team from 1915-1916 but not the 8-7 team from 1914-1915?

agreed. thing is, it appears so far that jordair was a much better finisher. ash definitely has the body to take the hit and make those shots at the rim, but we haven't really seen it yet. hopefully, like his three point shot (which i'm not worried about), we can chalk it up to rust. imagine ash getting AND1s and hitting his threes. couple that with the rebounding and the defense, and look out.

man it's a weird feeling when you've got a coffee poop on deck and you're getting a semi-pudge over a man almost 10 years your younger.

I think you guys forget the comments on this board about Jordair in his freshman year... Jordair was not a good finisher back then, more often then not I remember the ball going out of his hands and into the 10th row when he tried to drive.

I think you guys forget the comments on this board about Jordair in his freshman year... Jordair was not a good finisher back then, more often then not I remember the ball going out of his hands and into the 10th row when he tried to drive.

I agree but a big difference is Jordair was a freshman, while Ash is a Junior. That being said, Ash will be our best player this year and I'm not worried in the least bit about his production.

Even not counting 1943-1944, this is the 100th season. They did indeed have a team in 1914-1915. It is listed in all the team record books. What is the rationale behind counting the 14-5 team from 1915-1916 but not the 8-7 team from 1914-1915?

Good catch! Some sites don't even list that first season.

Also regarding the large rotation, we must be a nightmare to scout against. We can throw a lot of looks at other teams - or the same look with different guys at each spot. Sometimes we even go with one post and four out! Add in the fact that our defense seems to be a lot closer to the level we saw the past three years than anyone expected and this season is really shaping up.

Excellent point.

And contrary to an earlier comment, I do NOT believe we need to play a "good" team like Wichita State now. Bad idea. First, WSU is much better than just being good. Second, we have played good teams in SIUC (lead by upperclassman Beane) and Indiana State (on their home court for only the second game of the year -- who also were led by upperclassmen). Third, I am optimistic and excited about this year as anyone else; however, at the same time, we are NOT that good (polished) right now and the results would not be all that great yet. Instead, we NEED to play the next 5 games to gain both experience and confidence. A few more steps walking before we run. The general level of talent, the speed of the D1 game and the higher level of intensity for 40 minutes (even playing the next 5 games) is what is needed. Fourth, IMO, RA, TL and MC needed to play these type of minutes the Frosh are getting this year (and make mistakes but learn) last year; however, early season injuries (RA) and mediocre play by last year's Seniors early on is what caused Crews to shorten the bench in order to win the OOC. If memory servers me correctly, were we not losing at halftime to SIUE last year? Did we not have close games with a number of teams which most Top 30 teams would not have had? Fifth, Tanner and Reggie are the same age and have the same amount of post-high school experience as Brett Jolly -- but Jolly started/played all last year while RA and TL were injured/sat and may have lost confidence. Too early for the negative criticism of each. Sure, if they don't produce, then the Frosh will t'ake their minutes. At the same time, we need an inside presence (RA) and a 6'8" guy who pull his man out to the perimeter to allow Ash, Miles and Roby to drive to the basket. Sixth, Malik showed little against SIUC but played big against Indiana State. Roby played well against SIUC but not so much against Indiana State. No one wrote off Malik after the first game or should write off after the second game any more than some who are writing off Reggie and Tanner after only two (2) games!!

Excellent point.

And contrary to an earlier comment, I do NOT believe we need to play a "good" team like Wichita State now. Bad idea. First, WSU is much better than just being good. Second, we have played good teams in SIUC (lead by upperclassman Beane) and Indiana State (on their home court for only the second game of the year -- who also were led by upperclassmen). Third, I am optimistic and excited about this year as anyone else; however, at the same time, we are NOT that good (polished) right now and the results would not be all that great yet. Instead, we NEED to play the next 5 games to gain both experience and confidence. A few more steps walking before we run. The general level of talent, the speed of the D1 game and the higher level of intensity for 40 minutes (even playing the next 5 games) is what is needed. Fourth, IMO, RA, TL and MC needed to play these type of minutes the Frosh are getting this year (and make mistakes but learn) last year; however, early season injuries (RA) and mediocre play by last year's Seniors early on is what caused Crews to shorten the bench in order to win the OOC. If memory servers me correctly, were we not losing at halftime to SIUE last year? Did we not have close games with a number of teams which most Top 30 teams would not have had? Fifth, Tanner and Reggie are the same age and have the same amount of post-high school experience as Brett Jolly -- but Jolly started/played all last year while RA and TL were injured/sat and may have lost confidence. Too early for the negative criticism of each. Sure, if they don't produce, then the Frosh will t'ake their minutes. At the same time, we need an inside presence (RA) and a 6'8" guy who pull his man out to the perimeter to allow Ash, Miles and Roby to drive to the basket. Sixth, Malik showed little against SIUC but played big against Indiana State. Roby played well against SIUC but not so much against Indiana State. No one wrote off Malik after the first game or should write off after the second game any more than some who are writing off Reggie and Tanner after only two (2) games!!

Great points. Not to nitpick, but I believe Reggie was actually old for his grade due to coming into the American education system late - and he also prepped a year post-HS. Still, not a lot of experience playing organized basketball, though. Probably going on like 6-7 years by now? I forget exactly which year he came to NY off the top of my head.

Great points. Not to nitpick, but I believe Reggie was actually old for his grade due to coming into the American education system late - and he also prepped a year post-HS. Still, not a lot of experience playing organized basketball, though. Probably going on like 6-7 years by now? I forget exactly which year he came to NY off the top of my head.

Reggie is 22 years old.

I stand corrected. Good to know. And you're right, very little basketball experience so games like tomorrow are really needed for growth, development and confidence.

RA will be 24 his senior year like Jake was if I am not mistaken. That is not unusual these days with foreign kids. Arrived here in 2010. For now he gets that pass because you can writeoff last year as a lost year due to the shoulder injury which occurred couple of weeks before season started. Good thing he had the surgery since it looks like he is starting fresh and will get stronger plus more skilled the more he plays.

Based on what he did at ISU giving us the rebounding presence and hard nose defense when TL was taken out, he needs to get more minutes to develop his offensive continuity. Even with all those hard SLU practices all these kids need game time to be quality D1 players.

The only regret I have right now is that GG never opted for the surgery when his issue occurred 2 years ago if I am not mistaken and if he is still suffering with that today it could be a year long problem. I am doubting how much he contributes going forward but anything he can do will be helpful especially on the defensive end. Guys like RA, TL, and MY will have to step up to fill that gap.