OT: Donald Sterling

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Sterling is the son of immigfants and grew up dirt poor and is part of a minority group as well, which maes his insensitivity shocking. Also, his attitudes towards blacks in a mostly black league should not be tolerated. Its unkniown who he has hurt over the last 30 years with discriminatory practices.

Yes he is a Jewish immigrant, and Jews especially in his early years suffered, too, in this country. But now he is 80 years old, super rich, thinks he is bulletproof and probably a little senile and / or does not care any more, what is anybody going to do about it, (he thinks)?

How about Doc Rivers? Is he smart? Or a hypocrite. He's been there many years, he knew about Sterling, of course, smiled and took his millions in salary. Now that Sterling has been blown out by the secret tape, Doc suddenly is offended and takes the side with his fellow blacks. I say, a hypocrite.

Kareem hits the nail on the head in this piece. http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

It has never been a secret. Sterling's brand of racism is an interesting one. It is like he is the billionaire racist Ron Burgundy. Black tenants smell and attract vermin? High comedy. Was he dropped here from the 1700s? The flip side is that he doesn't like paying white players. It has been reported that he did not want JJ Redick and his 7 million dollar salary because he was white.

Every black guy playing and coaching for Sterling knew he was a racist from the minute they signed their contract. Why does it take an illegally recorded tape for them to make a stand?

How about the part following your own bolded statement? This is Doc Rivers' first season working for the Los Angeles Clippers. You are a strumpet.

I meant he's been in The NBA.

Doc has been in the NBA for almost 2 decades. He knew about Sterling when he took the job. Everybody knew. Don Baylor filed a lawsuit for christsake.

Doc took the money, anyway.

I am merely saying that there is racism everywhere, but that Sterling was secretly taped by a woman of questionable integrity, and will be attacked from one perspective, only, as that is our political environment.

Blacks who have made racist statements and done some awful things are allowed to move on with their jobs, on TV, etc, there are numerous examples.

Again, I do not condone what he said.

Then what is the point of this post? You seem to be engaging in a sort of moral relativism: "because other people are racist, we shouldn't be so hard on Sterling." (Which, of course, seems like an indefensible position - regardless of whether other people are also racist, and putting your feelings on the media/the political climate/the Illuminati conspiracy aside, racism should never be tolerated. Period.) But then you always hedge your statements at the end.

Also, wasn't Doc Rivers traded to the Clippers?

I am merely saying that there is racism everywhere, but that Sterling was secretly taped by a woman of questionable integrity, and will be attacked from one perspective, only, as that is our political environment.

Blacks who have made racist statements and done some awful things are allowed to move on with their jobs, on TV, etc, there are numerous examples.

Again, I do not condone what he said.

Wrong again. Look at what happened when Isiah Thomas agreed with derogatory comments Rodman made about Larry Bird. It was a national controversy. He had to hold a press conference and went on at halftime of the NBA Finals to address it. He was vilified for a long time... but carry on with your persecuted white guy narrative.

You do not "condone what he said" yet you are bending over backwards to try to find moral equivalents or question the woman who taped it. Sterling has had issues long before the tape.

Jerk, idiot. Did he inherit his fortune?

No, he was an immigrant and worked his way up, I believe in the real estate industry where he established his empire.

So what?

He just got scammed, for money and spite, by a woman who taped him, so he got caught. How many comments are made every day that are not recorded?

Let me know if you think all of the black players in the NBA are 100% clean, never candidly made any racist remarks themselves. It definitely works both ways.

He is a typical super rich powerful man who has gotten away with everything his whole life. I do not condone what he said, it appears he is a racist jerk but lets be realistic, at least on this board. On the other hand, the foo foo national media will run with this for months.

The foo foo liberal national media. You make valid points very often and cheesycow can suck it. You're spot on, while you can't really justify what he did you can argue that it's inevitable and he's just the scapegoat because everyone else kept it so underground.

Kareem hits the nail on the head in this piece. http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

It has never been a secret. Sterling's brand of racism is an interesting one. It is like he is the billionaire racist Ron Burgundy. Black tenants smell and attract vermin? High comedy. Was he dropped here from the 1700s? The flip side is that he doesn't like paying white players. It has been reported that he did not want JJ Redick and his 7 million dollar salary because he was white.

Every black guy playing and coaching for Sterling knew he was a racist from the minute they signed their contract. Why does it take an illegally recorded tape for them to make a stand?

Um, excuse me?! If you're referring to the "Bears can smell the menstruation!" quote, that was actually Brick Tamland. Get it right.

I call for an investigation of Stephen A Smith. How this guy can be on TV is beyond me.

I'll join you in the Stephen A. Smith hate-club.

I try ;) Did you see his analysis of the Xavier/UC brawl :blink:

You are not very sharp at all.

I defended Willie and KM as vigorously as anyone on this board. Dozens of posts, SLU did them an injustice, John Cook's hammer did them in...look up my posts.

And just last week, I was one of the few to support Larry The Legend in his recent predicament.

You are incapable of dealing with complex issues. You are just angry and ready to jump on single words as you have been conditioned to do.

Wrong again. Look at what happened when Isiah Thomas agreed with derogatory comments Rodman made about Larry Bird. It was a national controversy. He had to hold a press conference and went on at halftime of the NBA Finals to address it. He was vilified for a long time... but carry on with your persecuted white guy narrative.

You do not "condone what he said" yet you are bending over backwards to try to find moral equivalents or question the woman who taped it. Sterling has had issues long before the tape.

Nope.

Not nearly the publicity, not even close.

Sterling is on the news 24/7 right now, every channel, first story at the top of the hour, and it will go on for weeks, months.

And the penalties to Sterling remain to be seen... I would expect he suffers much more in that category than Isiah.

You are habitually incorrect.

Please let me know if you decide to purchase a particular stock or real estate or gold.

Nope.

Not nearly the publicity, not even close.

Sterling is on the news 24/7 right now, every channel, first story at the top of the hour, and it will go on for weeks, months.

And the penalties to Sterling remain to be seen... I would expect he suffers much more in that category than Isiah.

You are habitually incorrect.

Please let me know if you decide to purchase a particular stock or real estate or gold.

You are not very sharp at all.

I defended Willie and KM as vigorously as anyone on this board. Dozens of posts, SLU did them an injustice, John Cook's hammer did them in...look up my posts.

And just last week, I was one of the few to support Larry The Legend in his recent predicament.

You are incapable of dealing with complex issues. You are just angry and ready to jump on single words as you have been conditioned to do.

This looked like nonsensical rambling at first glance, but perhaps it is really a case of my failure to understand "complex issues" :o Here's another complex issue I'm struggling to figure out... Cliven Bundy - what do you think of him?

That quote referring to vermin is a quote from Sterling... There's a reason he settled the largest discriminatory housing settlement in the US.

I know, but the comparing that quote from Donald Sterling to Ron Burgundy would lead one to assume they were referring to the popular "Bears can smell the menstruation!" quote from Anchorman, said by weatherman Brick Tamland.

People realize if he maintained ownership he would be continuing to make more money on top of what he's already earned.. Not much you can do re: him making a smart investment decades ago.

There are lots of rich people in the world, there are only 30 NBA owners. Basically it's the only reason people know his name now.

Also being forced to sell a team you bought for 12 million dollars that is now worth close to a billion is a really rough punishment.

Sterling forced to profit hundreds of millions

People realize if he maintained ownership he would be continuing to make more money on top of what he's already earned.. Not much you can do re: him making a smart investment decades ago.

There are lots of rich people in the world, there are only 30 NBA owners. Basically it's the only reason people know his name now.

You can only hope this will negatively impact the valuation of the Clippers in some way, somewhat diminishing the investment he already made. The guy is 80 years old, it's not like he could spend $2B before dying even if he tried. The money is going to get passed on to some future generation of Sterlings. His one son is already dead of a drug overdose, but hopefully the rest of them are less huge dickheads than the Donald.

The owners have a benefit in forcing him to sell. That franchise will go for over 1 billion. That helps all of their team valuations which would greatly increase their financial situations like access to cheap( er) money and so forth.

The capital gains tax on the sale would make your pucker. Then the family will get screwed again on estate tax dollars.

The ego hit is the worst thing that happens to this guy going forward. But who knows if he really gives a damn.

The only way to really stop all the racism, bullying, hate speech, etc is to have an intolerance for all of it ALL of the time. This means no racism or reverse racism of any kind. We can't fault some for it and not others. Naturally, there is a huge sensitivity and media uproar when racism is happening in some form, but not often in others. That shouldn't be the case, but I understand why it is that way. But, if things are to truly change there needs to be an immediate intolerance when any group is being shown or mentioned in a negative light. This goes for whites, black, asians, homosexuals, heterosexuals, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc. When hate speech or any type of persecution happens to some of these groups it doesn't get the same uproar as it does others. If things are going to change in the long run, there has to be fairness for all groups.

Yes he is a Jewish immigrant, and Jews especially in his early years suffered, too, in this country. But now he is 80 years old, super rich, thinks he is bulletproof and probably a little senile and / or does not care any more, what is anybody going to do about it, (he thinks)?

How about Doc Rivers? Is he smart? Or a hypocrite. He's been there many years, he knew about Sterling, of course, smiled and took his millions in salary. Now that Sterling has been blown out by the secret tape, Doc suddenly is offended and takes the side with his fellow blacks. I say, a hypocrite.

I think it is safe to say Rivers may have taken the job but this round of Sterling's butthead comments is not anything one could figure out from past actions or accusations. The comments put him front and center plus they are his words. So to assume that Rivers knew this and still took a job is not true. I have known a lot of racist people who never come out to say anything but you can at least make an assumption based on certain actions and things they do. Even if Rivers has been in the league awhile you cannot simply say he knew either. He took the millions but he did not do so as a personal assistant to Sterling. The man is a Coach now and he will move where the best opportunity is yet still cannot definitively know his boss is one closet racist dude. So, yes, Rivers now has to align himself with those who are shocked and want Sterling's head. If he were defending him then your point might be true that he is simply there for the cash.

The only way to really stop all the racism, bullying, hate speech, etc is to have an intolerance for all of it ALL of the time. This means no racism or reverse racism of any kind. We can't fault some for it and not others. Naturally, there is a huge sensitivity and media uproar when racism is happening in some form, but not often in others. That shouldn't be the case, but I understand why it is that way. But, if things are to truly change there needs to be an immediate intolerance when any group is being shown or mentioned in a negative light. This goes for whites, black, asians, homosexuals, heterosexuals, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc. When hate speech or any type of persecution happens to some of these groups it doesn't get the same uproar as it does others. If things are going to change in the long run, there has to be fairness for all groups.

+1