Who stops Warren?

slu72

He looks like a senior who knows how to play ball (on both ends of the court) and score while taking it to the rim. Should be a tough guard for us. How does he do against a lot of size on the interior? We dont go shorter than 6-8 and go up to essentially 2 7ft centers who love to block shots. FYI we also, we have Cat (our freshman PG) who a lot of people say is one of the premier on the ball defenders in the nation, even as a rookie.

I don't think it will deter Jett from driving. This Billikens team gets a lot of shots blocked in general and add your size into the mix and you guys will likely block a lot of shots.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Billikens press much?

And it seems you have plenty of speed but your point total seems low for a team that likes to run. Is that just due to the half court defense forcing the opposition to take time off the clock?

Yeh he looks like a grown man...You have seen NCSU play right? I am wondering if our Turner/Lee wouldn't draw Jett and have our PG on your McCall Jr. Just can't see our PGs being able to deter Jett from doing what he wants with the ball.

I think Lee probably would get the call most of the time. Don't know if you want Turner expending all the energy that would be needed on that end guarding Jett.

Good Morning, SLU fans. I've been following this thread and it's nice to see civil discussion between our fan bases. And we appreciate you allowing us Wolfpackers to engage in discussion

There appears to be confidence on both sides, which is great. I haven't had an opportunity to watch full games of SLU, only highlights during the season. It's a well known fact that you play phenomenal defense. That in itself is a big challenge for State, however, I'm more concerned about your strong athletic guards. They are very impressive and Jett definitely lives up to his name. Many times during the season we've struggled guarding the slashing, scoring type of guards and I'm really surprised that Xavier didn't try to attack us more. We have size and athleticism in the 3 and 4 spots, shot blockers at the 5. But, we tend to get into foul trouble (that could be the result of ACC officials calling fouls if you breathe on an opponent).

So even though SLU is more known for it's defense, I'm more concerned about Jett and the other guard (can't remember his name right off hand). We've played some tough defenses this year (e.g. Syracuse, Pitt) and our offense has seen just about everything from Box and 1, triangle and 2, etc. But I would say the biggest factor is going to be our ability to defend your strong backcourt.

I hope that it's a good, clean, injury free game. Go Pack.

Good Morning, SLU fans. I've been following this thread and it's nice to see civil discussion between our fan bases. And we appreciate you allowing us Wolfpackers to engage in discussion

There appears to be confidence on both sides, which is great. I haven't had an opportunity to watch full games of SLU, only highlights during the season. It's a well known fact that you play phenomenal defense. That in itself is a big challenge for State, however, I'm more concerned about your strong athletic guards. They are very impressive and Jett definitely lives up to his name. Many times during the season we've struggled guarding the slashing, scoring type of guards and I'm really surprised that Xavier didn't try to attack us more. We have size and athleticism in the 3 and 4 spots, shot blockers at the 5. But, we tend to get into foul trouble (that could be the result of ACC officials calling fouls if you breathe on an opponent).

So even though SLU is more known for it's defense, I'm more concerned about Jett and the other guard (can't remember his name right off hand). We've played some tough defenses this year (e.g. Syracuse, Pitt) and our offense has seen just about everything from Box and 1, triangle and 2, etc. But I would say the biggest factor is going to be our ability to defend your strong backcourt.

I hope that it's a good, clean, injury free game. Go Pack.

Good call. I hope Mike McCall (the other guard) and JJ do not get complacent and attack attack attack. For whatever reason, we have lost that aggression in the last few games and consistently in the 2nd half of games throughout the season.

We can't settle for 3 point shots because we don't hit them with any consistency. If we're jacking up a lot of 3's early (outside of MM), that's a good sign for you guys.

Will Warren have a supporting cast tonight? Can your pg be effective against our D? Will we stay aggressive? Can Rob Loe (our center) stay out of foul trouble and play effective down low on both ends? Can we quit turning the dang ball over?

Lots of questions. Gonna be an interesting game.

I may get shot down for saying this but, just as a thought, Reggie may be the guy to guard Warren. Reggie is big and muscular and if we limit his work to just guarding this man and getting rebounds he can probably do it, or at least I would hope so. If Reggie gets into foul trouble it would not be a major problem for SLU and work like this would give him the experience he desperately needs to be a factor in the tournament. But what do I know, right?

Old Guy, you might be on to something. Same size, extremely quick, and has the athleticism to be a factor. Mean thing is whether he is healthy enough to play. RA seems to be in most of the new twitter pics of the team practicing in Orlando. My guess is he is ready to go. Someone mentioned earlier about him not playing last 10 games but I do not think that is factor as long as he has run the reps with the team and stayed in shape. We will have our answers tonight no matter what!

Old Guy, you might be on to something. Same size, extremely quick, and has the athleticism to be a factor. Mean thing is whether he is healthy enough to play. RA seems to be in most of the new twitter pics of the team practicing in Orlando. My guess is he is ready to go. Someone mentioned earlier about him not playing last 10 games but I do not think that is factor as long as he has run the reps with the team and stayed in shape. We will have our answers tonight no matter what!

I wouldn't disagree with this theory if RA had played any during the last 10 or so games. My concern is that due to RA's relative inexperience and based on what i've seen, he still gets lost on D. From an athleticism matchup, I could see him providing some good minutes. But I think Warren would take advantage of RA's lack of ability within the defensive framework.

I wouldn't disagree with this theory if RA had played any during the last 10 or so games. My concern is that due to RA's relative inexperience and based on what i've seen, he still gets lost on D. From an athleticism matchup, I could see him providing some good minutes. But I think Warren would take advantage of RA's lack of ability within the defensive framework.

The legend of Reggie Agbeko grows with every minute not played. If he could play defense, he would have played against some of the teams SLU lost to.

Yeah, let's throw an inexperienced freshman, who is still new to basketball, out there to guard one of the best offensive players in the country. That should work out great.

The legend of Reggie Agbeko grows with every minute not played. If he could play defense, he would have played against some of the teams SLU lost to.

Agreed. I have very high hopes for Reggie and think this is a valid discussion a year from now. But, and it's not a knock on RA, he just isn't there defensively.

I think Lee probably would get the call most of the time. Don't know if you want Turner expending all the energy that would be needed on that end guarding Jett.

The issue with that is Turner starts and Lee comes in to spell him so it would be one or the other. Turner generally draws the tougher 1-3 on the other team so we will get first crack at least

Jett is our best/most explosive player, but Evans has a great all around game and depending on match-ups can be a nightmare to defend down low. Our 7 footer can also be a streaky 3 point machine, especially late in games. Don't sleep on McCall either who is capable of 20 points if you leave him open. When SLU defends to it's capability, they can best any team in this tournament.

i would counter that mccall has shown himself capable of scoring ALMOST 20 points on any given night. until last game, that is. ;)

Good call. I hope Mike McCall (the other guard) and JJ do not get complacent and attack attack attack. For whatever reason, we have lost that aggression in the last few games and consistently in the 2nd half of games throughout the season.

We can't settle for 3 point shots because we don't hit them with any consistency. If we're jacking up a lot of 3's early (outside of MM), that's a good sign for you guys.

Will Warren have a supporting cast tonight? Can your pg be effective against our D? Will we stay aggressive? Can Rob Loe (our center) stay out of foul trouble and play effective down low on both ends? Can we quit turning the dang ball over?

Lots of questions. Gonna be an interesting game.

The supporting cast for Warren has been a little better lately. Turner is a big x-factor for us. If him and Warren are both hitting shots, we're a much tougher team. If Turner is cold, we tend to struggle. Turner is streaky, though...he could hit a few threes in a row, or he could miss 5 straight. Washington is a freshman big that started stepping up later in the season. Outside of that, our offense relies a lot on breaking down the defense for easy layups/dunks.

In regards to our PGs. Lewis is much more effective at reading the defense and picking it apart. It seems his primary objective is to help Warren or the bigs get an easy shot. He's not gonna take it to the hole, unless you give it to him. Cat relies a lot more on using his speed to make something happen...he's still learning to make things happen for others. We need Lewis out there for the offense to run smoothly, but we have to hide him a bit more on defense.

I do not disagree with his lack of experience due to injuries this season but the advantage in using someone like him is that there is no scouting report on him that actually has his tendencies quantified. That unknown factor could be a surprise to an opponent if he is suddenly thrown into the ring to defend a guy like Warren who does not know what to expect. We did see him get lost on Dee in the earlier part of the season but my guess is the staff has corrected that by now. He outweighs Warren by like 30+ pounds so he will not be outmuscled, has the defensive foot speed to match, will contest/block shots, box out and go after the boards. My guess it will be by committee but we may see this matchup too. Best for coaching staff to use all their assets to ensure we make it past this game.

Maybe you forgot he was injured during that period.

So far these Wolfpack fans have been among the best visiting fans we've had. Are they really this civil or just wolves in sheeps clothing? ;)

I think JC is a fine coach, but this is one of those matchups where I sure wish Majerus were still around to see what kind of gameplan he'd put together for Warren. Ultimately though it might not all be about Warren, but about making sure they don't have a second scorer step up and have a big game.

From what I hear RA is back 90% after the rehab and will opt for the surgery after the season is over. Do not know what the staff has in store for State but should be an interesting game to say the least.

So far these Wolfpack fans have been among the best visiting fans we've had. Are they really this civil or just wolves in sheeps clothing? ;)

I think JC is a fine coach, but this is one of those matchups where I sure wish Majerus were still around to see what kind of gameplan he'd put together for Warren. Ultimately though it might not all be about Warren, but about making sure they don't have a second scorer step up and have a big game.

My BFF is a NC State fan, and he's a huge cocksuoker. Or at least as big of a cocksuoker as I am. But we both have manners. Since we're both from the South.

I agree, these dudes are infinitely more palatable and reasonable than VCU fans.

We are civil to those who are civil with us. If we can't be civil than its usually because we are dealing with ******'s. Like i knew i couldn't be civil with Xavier being a son of a Bearcat so i never went to their board.. Most of us who did were polite. Its a true southern way