"Couching" In MD on RI

Taj79

Watched on CBSSN and have read the GDT. Relived all the emotions as expressed on GDT -- took up smoking, drinking and needlework as others did again.

Rhode Island was one of the biggest piece of shite teams I have ever seen. Short of Mumford and Matthews, they were crap. Biruta is drastically overrated, how he survived in the old Big East at Rutgers is beyond me. He makes Halil Kanosevic look like a freaking ballerina. Jarelle Reischel was pitiful; how he resurrected some NJ state high school program is beyond me and then went to Rice for a while. Biggie Minnis might have a role .. as maybe the eighth or ninth man but certainly not a starter. If Rhode Island has one more player, a Delroy James or Orion Outerbridge or Jordan Hare we'd probably be singing a different tune this morning, I'm afraid. And apparently Chris Walker, the CBS color guy, coached Minnis at Texas Tech so there was the connection to Rhodey love in the final minutes. Walker was even noted as giving pep talks to Minnis at the shoot around. Definitely a pro-Ram bias. Walker was later saying how Crews was about to get "his starters and his seniors back into the game." This was said with Jett, McCall and Barnett all on the court at the time. Walker should be ushered to another career.

I'd offer that Evans' second, third and fourth fouls were all horseshite. I recall thinking "wow, Dwayne will get through the half with one foul" and he picks up an "oopsie" foul 25 feet from the basket with 1:18 to go in the first half. His third foul comes at the 15:46 mark of the second half and then a little over two minutes later, #4 gets dropped on him for establishing position down low. Bullshite. Rhode Island had no answer for him down low and you cpould see our gameplan was to feed the beast in the second half .... Martin had four fouls and the two others were stiffs as noted above. With Evans AND Jett in the game, Rhodey had no hope. Thank god the refs saw it fit to give them their chance. What bullshite calls. Even Loe would look at them when he was hammered and get nothing. In the meantime, three of Dwayne's four were bogus to say the least.

Hey, I understand refereeing is a matter of your perception and your view of things but there was a lot of stuff being "assumed," ala the early whistle on Manning and the acting job Reischel pulled on Loe. Even if he concentrated all his weight into his shoulder, Loe could never knock a guy down that easy. And given what appears to be an NCAA ban on flopping this year, the ban is ignored on us. Rhodey fans might argue the same in the final "no call" against Jett but Mumford was looking for an acadmey award the whole length of the court. Apparently you can't act AND dribble at the same time. Right before the half at the OSU/Michigan State game, MSU ran a similar play and Kraft ran alongside Appling up the same side of the court with his hands raised in the air, avoiding the arm bar. Appling stepped out of bounds and OSU got the call/ball. Izzo went nutzo but the explanation was Kraft showed his hands so it was paralell running at best. I thought Jett did the same and Mumford's acting left a lot to be desired. He "acted" his way straight into a turnover which I thought was a good no call.

What I expected happened .... the confidence and stroke shown at home from distance against Yale at Chaifetz disappeared real quickly against Rhode at Ryan. Similarly, the defense again came to play. So we had a chance and made it work. And the rest became Jordair Jett. McCall and Barnett a combined 0-for-14. A shot made by each and we are all a little younger today. The problem is outside of McBroom, the bench is extremely weak. But five seniors will do enough on some days. But can we put an APB out on the real Mike McCall? We NEED him.

The halftime play design was great, taking advantage of Rhodey's lack of defensive savvy. I was okay with Jett's foul at the 17 second mark, planned or not. I saw a game ending much like I saw if I were an Eagles or Packers fan from the weekend. The fact that Mumford missed seemed ample payback for the last five years. Jett did what he has to do at the line in the closing minutes this year.

Finally, is it physically possible to rebound a ball, gain possession AND call time out in three tenths of a second? With a name like Gilvydas Biruta? The clock starts the miunte you touch the ball, right. So Biruta is airborne and catches the ball at it's apex off the rim. He does not establish "possession" of the ball until he makes ground contact, right? You cannot call a timeout in flight out of bounds any more, right? Then he has to signal for a timeout. Then the ref has to acknowledge the timeout. That guy blew the whistle the minute Biruta touched the ball. Is that even possible? I know there have been many discussions of what one can and cannot do in so much time .... that it takes this many tenths to catch and turn, to tip in and so on. What if Biruta hits the ball and it flubs away out of his reach (like so many Billiken rebounds)? The ref blew the whistle on the touch. Seems to be assuming again something before it happens. I'm just saying ...... Hmmmmm.

We were b*tch slapping those punks and Hurley right through halftime. They evened the game taking Evans out. But he has to play smarter and more like a senior. That last minute drive was horrible as well. We dodged a big one last night but as with some of the others, I'll take it.

I still think we can take Dayton.

Taj, I disagree on the charge call against Loe. It was the correct call. Rob lowered his shoulder and intentional created space by bumping a stationary defender. You can't create the advantage that way, and the defender does have the right to that space.

As for the timeout on the rebound, the coach called the timeout. You're right that there's no way the rebounding player could get a timeout within 0.3 seconds, but the coach can.

Okay .... but in three tenths of a second? With the ref making the call at halfcourt opposite the coach? Again, if the player in control of the ball is in mid-air, going out of bounds, and he cannot call a timeout then, can the coach do so? I think not. My argument is possession is not established unless your feet are in the court of play.

Oh well, just a discussion point, not a point for rancor.

Another thing about the officiating...Each referee has a different interpretation as to what constitutes a foul. Since oftentimes that is the case, it depends on the positioning of a specific official that determines what is indeed a foul.

Jett last night gives us a perfect example...His foul with 17 seconds left was called by Michael Stephens. The no-call with 1 second left was right in front of Ed Corbett. It is highly probable that if Stephens were in Corbett's position, the last foul against Jett would have been called. I think too often we view foul calls as coming from the entire crew rather than an individual referee. The reality is that each ref calls the game differently.

Another thing about the officiating...Each referee has a different interpretation as to what constitutes a foul. Since oftentimes that is the case, it depends on the positioning of a specific official that determines what is indeed a foul.

Jett last night gives us a perfect example...His foul with 17 seconds left was called by Michael Stephens. The no-call with 1 second left was right in front of Ed Corbett. It is highly probable that if Stephens were in Corbett's position, the last foul against Jett would have been called. I think too often we view foul calls as coming from the entire crew rather than an individual referee. The reality is that each ref calls the game differently.

It might be true, but that's 8ullshit. They have to be calling the game as a team effort. That's why you see make up calls in games, I guess, because Official A knows that Official B hosed the other team on the last possession, but how is a basketball team supposed to play with different levels of physicality being allowed based on which referee is in which position? They already are keeping track of the ball, their teammates, and the opposition. They have to add the three referees too?

You are probably right but if that is true then how does a team adjust to how the game is being called. Are they suppose to see which ref is by them to determine what they can and can not do? I would think that the ref team would talk before the game and at least get an idea of how they want to call the game. By doing so they at least make an attempt to not be the focus.

I have been on lots of basketball message boards, but the vulgarity, the incredible bias, the whining shown on this board takes the award. As for Taj79, show some class, it may do you some good.

Thanks for your input, Otto.

It might be true, but that's 8ullshit. They have to be calling the game as a team effort. That's why you see make up calls in games, I guess, because Official A knows that Official B hosed the other team on the last possession, but how is a basketball team supposed to play with different levels of physicality being allowed based on which referee is in which position? They already are keeping track of the ball, their teammates, and the opposition. They have to add the three referees too?

I'm not saying it's right, but it definitely happens...and it pisses me off to no end. A team CAN'T play with different levels of physicality based on the positioning of the ref...it's impossible...that's the point. And why it sucks.

I wasn't offering a solution, just framing the problem in an attempt to explain why officiating is so erratic.

I was hoping somebody would foul on that play at 17 seconds? How could you give them the last shot?? I was surprised Jett looked so dejected after it was called on him.

JC did not want him to foul - we have had this discussion many times before, many coaches that you talk to do not want to ever send the opposition to the line in that situation - they prefer to make them earn it. So, JJ was not happy with himself but JC did say later that it was not the end of the world - easy for him to say it now but what if we had lost?

JC did not want him to foul - we have had this discussion many times before, many coaches that you talk to do not want to ever send the opposition to the line in that situation - they prefer to make them earn it. So, JJ was not happy with himself but JC did say later that it was not the end of the world - easy for him to say it now but what if we had lost?

Lets say the guy we fouled shot 65 percent at the FT line. That means they are likely to score 1.3 points per every 2 free throws they attempted.

Last night we were scoring probably less than 1 point per possession. So statistically speaking in a broad sense, fouling there seems like the wrong move.

Now, if you feel REALLY, REALLY confident that Jett is going to score or that URI couldn't hit clutch free throws, I guess you could justify fouling.

But even last night RI was shooting 40% from the field and averaging close to 1 pt/pos. The odds were also decent that they were going to score if you gave them the last possession of the game. No, not quite as good as the odds that they would make the free throws, but at least then you have a chance to come back and win or tie.

If you give them the last shot, that's a 40% chance the game is over and (maybe) a 60% chance of going into overtime. If you foul, yeah, odds are you have to make a shot to win the game or tie. But deciding that you can't score on the last possession of the game just strikes me as defeatist. You aren't confident you can score on the last possession, but you're confident you can come back and win in OT on the road? I would prefer to give my team the last possession rather than giving it to the other side, even on an off shooting night last night.

I like fouling on purpose in that situation if say you're a huge underdog (or 16 seed vs 1) on the road facing an elite team and you're tied with them late and they have the ball. Chances are even if you get a stop, you aren't surviving 5 more minutes in OT so you might as well take your chance to get the last possession in regulation.

I have been on lots of basketball message boards, but the vulgarity, the incredible bias, the whining shown on this board takes the award. As for Taj79, show some class, it may do you some good.

Sorry that you lost to SLU sometime in the last couple years.