Opportunity lost but we need to keep perspective

Or how about letting Crews have a couple of years of running his system — which you ungraciously denigrate as .500 — with the higher level of recruits he is able to draw to SLU, instead of considering what he did at Army, where he wasn't able to recruit.

I am a little tired of hearing this - "Crews could not recruit at Army" thing - he could recruit and he did recruit. Granted it was different then at other schools but it is not like he just showed up at the gym on the first day of practice and whoever showed up was his team. Recruiting for the military schools is still recruiting - what I saw over the years of having been somewhat involved in that area was that the military schools would inquire about kids that were athletes at high schools who might be interested in that kind of experience. If a kid was and was a good or decent athlete then they would recruit him. By the way those kids did not have to get some elected official to put their name forward like the avg kid wanting to go would have to. Yes I know the pool is smaller but they do recruit athletes who have other options. Do you really think the Navy football team that beat Missouri a few years back in a bowl game were all just walk ons that showed up one day to practice out of curiosity? - of course not they were all recruited in some way to go to navy.

Hey guys we lost to Wisconsin, rated #10 by 6 points, and to WSU rated #12 by 5 points. We played ahead of WSU for a good portion of the game. My take is that we are equal to them, and as the WIZ says, which as we all know is always correct, when two equal teams play either one can win.

And cheeseman, the service (any branch) requires a mental attitude that is not generally understood by civilians. Do I need to remind you that the Naval Academy graduates Marine officers. Does that mean anything to you? Probably not, I'd say.

How so? I read both the recap of the WSU game and the preview of the Rockhurst game and don't see a "zinger."

Not in the WSU game recap or the Rockhurst preview, but in the "Wichita State in Review" article.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/slu-wichita-state-in-review/article_d7e5fbef-613d-5de3-84e6-05943487b340.html

It's a loss that would have looked good at the end of the season, and it would have done a lot for the team's confidence, not to mention the mental well being of the fan base. (You know who you are.)

I believe he meant "win" in the article where it says "loss."

Hey guys we lost to Wisconsin, rated #10 by 6 points, and to WSU rated #12 by 5 points. We played ahead of WSU for a good portion of the game. My take is that we are equal to them, and as the WIZ says, which as we all know is always correct, when two equal teams play either one can win.

And cheeseman, the service (any branch) requires a mental attitude that is not generally understood by civilians. Do I need to remind you that the Naval Academy graduates Marine officers. Does that mean anything to you? Probably not, I'd say.

I am sorry I am not sure what you are trying to say. I never made any comment about what it took to go to a military school - perhaps you need to reread my post before you go off on me. What I did say was that if they found an athlete who may want the military school experience then they recruited that kid - the kid as all kids have other options also so that is why they call it recruiting. One last thing - do we know each other - I don't think so - then how would you have any idea about what anything means to me or not. I found your response insulting.

No, I do not have the pleasure of having met you or of knowing you, I also lack knowledge of what anything means to you or not. I feel great pains in having caused distress upon you and since I lack a way to interpret what has meaning to you I will proceed to explain what has meaning to me.

I absolutely hate character assassination, this is a technique based on using cute phrases like "Do you really think the Navy football team that beat Missouri a few years back in a bowl game were all just walk ons that showed up one day to practice out of curiosity? - of course not they were all recruited in some way to go to navy", and "Crews could not recruit at Army" thing. These types of comments serve no purpose other than destruction and sowing doubt upon the character of people and institutions. I really have no idea of who you are, but having been married for many years, she is an ex now, to a star practitioner of the art of leading phrases and character assassination I do recognize it when I see it. I will assume you have no military background at all. I have known people in the military with faulty personalities, that is true, but I cannot see anyone in the military referring to the service academies as if they were a mere college acting under the same types of rules as every other college. They, in fact, are not so.

The other thing I mentioned in my post was Marines. These are really special people, with a special faith in themselves and in the Corps, and they are capable, really capable, of doing things no one else can under atrocious circumstances and with poor equipment. Any Navy team loaded with Marine officer candidates can whip any other football team anywhere if they so desire, this is my firm belief.

That said, I cannot help but think that the kids (our players) read or know of these comments and threads. I wonder for example how the decision of Keith Carter to transfer may have been influenced by the constant negative comments about Crews posted in some of the threads in this board. I am aware he publicly stated his reason was due to disagreements about an ankle injury he suffered. I also wonder if Grandy and Barnett read the comments posted in this board and how they may have affected their play.

So cheeseman inasmuch as I despise the contents of your post, and inasmuch as I despise what they reveal about your personality and character, I am not out to insult anyone and again offer my apologies for having insulted you.

What I really want to say is directed to Grandy and Jake, and I hope they are reading this comment, is the following:

Grandy, brother, you cannot allow these comments to make you lose your confidence, some of us believe in you. Just play as well as you can and show these people what you can do. And this applies to you too Jake. We need you both to kick ass in the NCAA tournament.

I think austin will be fine. Hopefully jet won't shoot long shots so early in the clock n our gaurd play will be good. The problem we have is replacing cody. Glaze no matter how well he plays can not stretch the foor so if loe is on the bench or off his game the other team can cheat in and make life tough for evans. Our success against good teams may depend on tanners ability to play defence well enough to get into games n stretch the floor to open things up for evans inside. Abeko on the other hand is a better pairing with a stretch 3. That can b Evans if he starts hitting those 3s, or barnet or crawford. Though I think one freshman on the floor is the most we can handel. Irronically I think our ability to excell this year rests on Tanner.

Still looking for a CE replacement? I can guarantee you that if Bills success is based around shooters and not increased post play...we will die an early death in the 2nd half of the season when it really counts.

Still looking for a CE replacement? I can guarantee you that if Bills success is based around shooters and not increased post play...we will die an early death in the 2nd half of the season when it really counts.

I realize you're an Agbeko follower, so you just started following the team and must not know that, though Cody Ellis was a 4, his primary offense was the three-point shot.

I realize you're an Agbeko follower, so you just started following the team and must not know that, though Cody Ellis was a 4, his primary offense was the three-point shot.

Love the RA kid but assuming I just started following SLU and do not know CE and his game is bull. The point was we have a team that is really built around shooters but evidence shows that when we shoot poorly if makes getting those wins that much tougher. As much as we are recruiting shooters we also have to establish some post dominance to balance out those droughts...like the one we are experiencing versus Rockhurst. Against a UMass or Dayton or VCU squad we are in some deep !@#$%^&*(.

Love the RA kid but assuming I just started following SLU and do not know CE and his game is bull. The point was we have a team that is really built around shooters but evidence shows that when we shoot poorly if makes getting those wins that much tougher. As much as we are recruiting shooters we also have to establish some post dominance to balance out those droughts...like the one we are experiencing versus Rockhurst. Against a UMass or Dayton or VCU squad we are in some deep !@#$%^&*(.

Oops. I misread your post. I think I was distracted by the game. Rereading it, I see now what you were saying.

So cheeseman inasmuch as I despise the contents of your post, and inasmuch as I despise what they reveal about your personality and character, I am not out to insult anyone and again offer my apologies for having insulted you.

This little section is absolutely hilarious. How can gems like this slip by without comment?

"I think you are a miserable piece of human garbage and would not hawk a loogy down your throat if your heart was on fire, but I do not want to say anything nasty about you."

El Oh El.

I wonder for example how the decision of Keith Carter to transfer may have been influenced by the constant negative comments about Crews posted in some of the threads in this board.

I'm pretty sure Keith Carter did not read the comments on this board based on a conversation I had with him at Valpo. He may know of this board's existence but his decision was made based solely on his interactions with the coaching staff and not from what people on a message board were saying about the coaching staff. He had first hand knowledge of the coaching staff. Why would he be influenced by what peope on this message board were saying about Crews?

This little section is absolutely hilarious. How can gems like this slip by without comment?

"I think you are a miserable piece of human garbage and would not hawk a loogy down your throat if your heart was on fire, but I do not want to say anything nasty about you."

El Oh El.

+1 -- I appreciated the effort here.

edit: Wow, after seeing bbtds quote was from the same post I had to go back and read the original message. I realized I skipped it because it is late, it's super long, and the only line I read in my skim was, "Marines are a special people." I still don't understand anything in the entire paragraph that line is lifted from and I double checked, something about Mizzou which didn't help. (This is in no way a character assassination on anyone.) My favorite part was the last paragraph:

"Grandy, brother, you cannot allow these comments to make you lose your confidence, some of us believe in you. Just play as well as you can and show these people what you can do. And this applies to you too Jake. We need you both to kick ass in the NCAA tournament."

YES. MORE POSTERS REACHING OUT TO PLAYERS. I'll go with:

"Jordair.. it's me man, majerus mojo. right, the guy with the awesome "Sluperman" sign in Columbus. Haha yea, it was pretty sick. Anyways, will you just stop passing the ball to the feet of our opponent, or straight into the first row? I know you can do it, just ignore the haters. This applies to you too, rest of the team. We goin' to the 'ship!"

No, I do not have the pleasure of having met you or of knowing you, I also lack knowledge of what anything means to you or not. I feel great pains in having caused distress upon you and since I lack a way to interpret what has meaning to you I will proceed to explain what has meaning to me.

I absolutely hate character assassination, this is a technique based on using cute phrases like "Do you really think the Navy football team that beat Missouri a few years back in a bowl game were all just walk ons that showed up one day to practice out of curiosity? - of course not they were all recruited in some way to go to navy", and "Crews could not recruit at Army" thing. These types of comments serve no purpose other than destruction and sowing doubt upon the character of people and institutions. I really have no idea of who you are, but having been married for many years, she is an ex now, to a star practitioner of the art of leading phrases and character assassination I do recognize it when I see it. I will assume you have no military background at all. I have known people in the military with faulty personalities, that is true, but I cannot see anyone in the military referring to the service academies as if they were a mere college acting under the same types of rules as every other college. They, in fact, are not so.

The other thing I mentioned in my post was Marines. These are really special people, with a special faith in themselves and in the Corps, and they are capable, really capable, of doing things no one else can under atrocious circumstances and with poor equipment. Any Navy team loaded with Marine officer candidates can whip any other football team anywhere if they so desire, this is my firm belief.

That said, I cannot help but think that the kids (our players) read or know of these comments and threads. I wonder for example how the decision of Keith Carter to transfer may have been influenced by the constant negative comments about Crews posted in some of the threads in this board. I am aware he publicly stated his reason was due to disagreements about an ankle injury he suffered. I also wonder if Grandy and Barnett read the comments posted in this board and how they may have affected their play.

What I really want to say is directed to Grandy and Jake, and I hope they are reading this comment, is the following:

Grandy, brother, you cannot allow these comments to make you lose your confidence, some of us believe in you. Just play as well as you can and show these people what you can do. And this applies to you too Jake. We need you both to kick ass in the NCAA tournament.

Arrogance is unbecoming

91 (in 1957). But wasn't that the total between both teams?

No. It was just for the Billikens. Rammer and Earl discussed it a bit. You could tell Earl nearly fell out of his chair when Rammer told him the number. I think Rammer stated that the opposing team chucked up 100+ shots that game. Earl was in disbelief as that was pre-shot clock era for college. Obviously, with lower shooting percentages back then, and a team throwing it up that often, I guess I can see how a team can get that many boards. But, still, that number is INSANE.