McGinty lands top '14 recruit from Jesuit (Sacramento)

Jesuit is ranked the #1 program in the country heading into the fall season and defender John Bovill has committed to SLU.

They came to STL in 2012 to play Chaminade and crushed the Red Devils 4-0. Probably when McGinty started his pursuit of JB.

Jesuit will play again in STL in October (3-5) during the Gateway City Classic... Bracket "A" features CBC, Sacramento Jesuit, Rockhurst, Aquinas (KC) and Peoria Notre Dame. (All schools in the top 40 nationally...CBC is 3rd in the country).

McGinty's recruiting haul for '14 includes midfielder Christian Young (Pearland, TX), Bovil and Andre Rivers-Hardware, a defender out of Houston's Summer Creek H.S.

Jesuit is ranked the #1 program in the country heading into the fall season and defender John Bovill has committed to SLU.

They came to STL in 2012 to play Chaminade and crushed the Red Devils 4-0. Probably when McGinty started his pursuit of JB.

Jesuit will play again in STL in October (3-5) during the Gateway City Classic... Bracket "A" features CBC, Sacramento Jesuit, Rockhurst, Aquinas (KC) and Peoria Notre Dame. (All schools in the top 40 nationally...CBC is 3rd in the country).

McGinty's recruiting haul for '14 includes midfielder Christian Young (Pearland, TX), Bovil and Andre Rivers-Hardware, a defender out of Houston's Summer Creek H.S.

Not sure where you get that he's a top '14 recruit. Maybe I missed something but I can't find him or any of the 3 commits on Top Drawers or College Soccer New's top 150

I'm not concerned that they aren't ranked as McGinty hasn't had a really high ranked class yet, but seems to find very talented players that fit what he's trying to do.

I did see that there is a local forward from the '14 class that was 1 of 60 who just got called into a combine for the US Development acadamy. I can't remember his name now Segbert or something

I also noticed SIUE has 2 players that are ranked in the top 150 on both lists

Not sure where you get that he's a top '14 recruit. Maybe I missed something but I can't find him or any of the 3 commits on Top Drawers or College Soccer New's top 150

I'm not concerned that they aren't ranked as McGinty hasn't had a really high ranked class yet, but seems to find very talented players that fit what he's trying to do.

I did see that there is a local forward from the '14 class that was 1 of 60 who just got called into a combine for the US Development acadamy. I can't remember his name now Segbert or something

No worries. Should be a very solid class when it's all said and done. Historically, we've been able to recruit southern California well, so it's good that McGinty is now taking aim state-wide.

What kind of prospect is Tommy Barlow from Chaminade considered? He was the Gatorade player of the year for the state last year as a junior forward. Not sure whether he will be playing his senior season at Chaminade or Scott Gallagher instead.

What kind of prospect is Tommy Barlow from Chaminade considered? He was the Gatorade player of the year for the state last year as a junior forward. Not sure whether he will be playing his senior season at Chaminade or Scott Gallagher instead.

I've read on multiple publications he's classified as an "All-American," but HS soccer is so much different than HS basketball as far as these recruiting pubs go. He's been loyal to his team, bypassing an opportunity during his junior year to attend the U.S. Soccer Academy, which runs parallel to the fall soccer season in Missouri. I'm assuming every program in the country wants Barlow.

No worries. Should be a very solid class when it's all said and done. Historically, we've been able to recruit southern California well, so it's good that McGinty is now taking aim state-wide.

I'm not worried as I believe McGinty has done a great job of recruiting so far despite not signing a ton of highly ranked guys. He seems to have a good eye for talent and knows what he wants. I don't know why you'd put 'top recruit" in the headline of the thread though

Top Drawer has Tommy Barlow as an unranked 4 star recruit and it looks like he is playing for Scott Gallagher over the summer. I don't know how the system works though as far as playing for the US Development acadamy system and his HS.

I'm not worried as I believe McGinty has done a great job of recruiting so far despite not signing a ton of highly ranked guys. He seems to have a good eye for talent and knows what he wants. I don't know why you'd put 'top recruit" in the headline of the thread though

Top Drawer has Tommy Barlow as an unranked 4 star recruit and it looks like he is playing for Scott Gallagher over the summer. I don't know how the system works though as far as playing for the US Development acadamy system and his HS.

The U.S. Development academy runs Sept. to July, so it forces a lot of players to choose between playing high school soccer in the fall or to attend the USDA. If Barlow stayed for his junior year and finished runner-up to CBC, I'm assuming he'll stay to try to take the crown back from the Cadets, but we'll just have to wait and see.

The U.S. Development academy runs Sept. to July, so it forces a lot of players to choose between playing high school soccer in the fall or to attend the USDA. If Barlow stayed for his junior year and finished runner-up to CBC, I'm assuming he'll stay to try to take the crown back from the Cadets, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Isn't Scott Gallagher a US Development Acadamy club? I read where he is playing in a tourney for them this summer

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/dev-academy-preview:-final-playoff-grab_aid28903

Does anyone know McGinty's contract situation? It would seem like a good time to extend him and give him a bump in pay.

The last coach--whatever his name was--left because he was offered a five year contract at that one East Coast school. At the time, the Post Dispatch reported that the only coaches under contract were the basketball coaches. McGinty certainly earned a pay raise last year.

Why SIUE?

Here's a good reason

http://www.siuecougars.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/kalish_kevin00.html/#/sports/m-soccer/coaches/index

Not saying it's a better choice than SLU obvioulsy, but they are an up and coming program with a good young coach who happens to be a SLU alum. Had the SLU job opened up now rather than a few years ago, I can't imagine they wouldn't go hard after Kevin.

Isn't Scott Gallagher a US Development Acadamy club? I read where he is playing in a tourney for them this summer

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/dev-academy-preview:-final-playoff-grab_aid28903

Scott Gallagher is a "club" or branch of the USDA. If Barlow chose to play with this squad, he'd have to take himself off the CCP Roster because the season runs from September to July. If he's playing as a guest from July to the beginning of the school year, I'm sure there are plenty of kids that do the same across the country.

Why SIUE?

Here's a good reason

http://www.siuecougars.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/kalish_kevin00.html/#/sports/m-soccer/coaches/index

Not saying it's a better choice than SLU obvioulsy, but they are an up and coming program with a good young coach who happens to be a SLU alum. Had the SLU job opened up now rather than a few years ago, I can't imagine they wouldn't go hard after Kevin.

Kalish is on the Scott Gallagher coaching staff as well.

Scott Gallagher is a "club" or branch of the USDA. If Barlow chose to play with this squad, he'd have to take himself off the CCP Roster because the season runs from September to July. If he's playing as a guest from July to the beginning of the school year, I'm sure there are plenty of kids that do the same across the country.

Thanks. I knew they had to make a choice for the fall but didn't know they could play as a guest or in soccer terms on loan in the summer.

It looks like Tommy Barlow has decided to play for Scott Gallagher Soccer Academy instead of returning to play his senior season for Chaminade.

It looks like Tommy Barlow has decided to play for Scott Gallagher Soccer Academy instead of returning to play his senior season for Chaminade.

This is really sad. What S-G Soccer Academy is doing to both high school soccer and other sports that might have a conflict with the Soccer Academy. Somehow the high school soccer coaches need to put an end to this and if it means not allowing any S-G player to play high school soccer then so be it.

This is really sad. What S-G Soccer Academy is doing to both high school soccer and other sports that might have a conflict with the Soccer Academy. Somehow the high school soccer coaches need to put an end to this and if it means not allowing any S-G player to play high school soccer then so be it.

Not sure if anybody is really at fault is the thing.

I don't know the exact rulings but you cannot play for your HS and a US Development Acadamy team in the regular season. I know it sucks for the HS, but the level of play and the training he'll get playing in the US Dev system should be much better. It's nothing S-G or the HS did

Maybe someone else has some better info on how it works than I do

Also ... Tim Ream called in for the Bosnia friendly. Nice to see Tim getting a look. Quite a few new players on the roster for this game including a few we've recently talked about such as John Anthony Brooks, Aron Johannsson and Bobby Wood

Yeah, so this is a new rule, right? Certain clubs were designated "US Development Academy teams" and playing for them disallows you from playing for your HS team?

Pretty weird system. Seems like soccer is trying to replicate a Euro model to thicken the development pipeline. Just my understanding of it, which is admittedly limited. But what I don't get - which side is this rule coming from? Do the HS associations look at these as jeopardizing amateur status, or do the development academy programs see HS soccer as getting in the way of their schedule?

If so, how is it different than the AAU system in other sports?

Like I said, this was something that barely hit my radar when it happened and I'm not sure if I get it.

Yeah, so this is a new rule, right? Certain clubs were designated "US Development Academy teams" and playing for them disallows you from playing for your HS team?

Pretty weird system. Seems like soccer is trying to replicate a Euro model to thicken the development pipeline. Just my understanding of it, which is admittedly limited. But what I don't get - which side is this rule coming from? Do the HS associations look at these as jeopardizing amateur status, or do the development academy programs see HS soccer as getting in the way of their schedule?

If so, how is it different than the AAU system in other sports?

Like I said, this was something that barely hit my radar when it happened and I'm not sure if I get it.

I don't have a problem with it if it helps develop players. High School sports are and should be focused on winning games, the Development teams unless they still don't get it should have a much larger emphasis on skill development

The problem isn't how the top high school programs in St Louis were developing players. The coaches in St Louis do a good job for the most part. The problem is with a lot of other areas around the country that don't have the same level of coaching in place and the same level of competition in place. St Louis high school soccer is getting the shaft addressing a problem that doesn't exist in St Louis and the kids get screwed out of the chance to represent their school.