Isn't Deadline to Give Notice to A-10 Coming Up?

I thought that the deadline for SLU, Dayton, or otherwise to give notice to the Atlantic 10 about withdrawing was coming up. My recollection was that giving notice prior to said deadline would save a million or more dollars. Does anyone know when that deadline falls?

cgeldmacher, on 21 May 2013 - 1:17 PM, said:

I thought that the deadline for SLU, Dayton, or otherwise to give notice to the Atlantic 10 about withdrawing was coming up. My recollection was that giving notice prior to said deadline would save a million or more dollars. Does anyone know when that deadline falls?

only problem is that saint louis doesnt have an invite to go to another conference.

It's June 30th.

Considering the Big East hasn't even hired a commissioner yet, the June 30th date to save $1mm is becoming less and less likely.

Doesn't change my outlook that we are going to get in though.

Considering the Big East hasn't even hired a commissioner yet, the June 30th date to save $1mm is becoming less and less likely.

Doesn't change my outlook that we are going to get in though.

Not long ago, I'd have disagreed with you. When they announced they were going to play with 10, I saw it as a disaster.

That said, I now agree that Saint Louis will be in the Big East at some point. A-10 expansion solidified that. If SLU was going to stick around in the A-10, one of the adds would have been further west. If the A-10 is more or less conceding that SLU is gone, I take that as a sign that they probably are.

I was told in Brooklyn that June 30/July 1 was some sort of date ... don't know how soft or hard it was. The rationale was that it would then allow a full year to get conference schedules in place for teams like women's soccer, men's soccer, volleyball, and other fall sports as well as allow for the same for men's basketball. This one year glide path was also seen as giving enough notice to put the losing conference on the clock to do whatever it had to do if replacements were to be found. I thought it was mostly speculative ---- barroom chatter --- until I reexamined the sources. There were some heavy hitters in that Brooklyn group. And let's not forget that Chris May "loves the A10" still, right?

However, the Big East has no commish as pointed out and is barely doing much if anything on the surface right now. Seems a lot would have to shake down and out in the next month and I am not real confident that would happen. Besides, the year of scheduling really woudl go into effect in August 2014 at the earliest. So we have about a one or two month amount of wiggle room.

Can't go to the prom until your asked, right?