From the A10 Boca Raton Meetings

ATLANTIC 10 ANNOUNCES 2005-06 AND 2006-07 SCHEDULING MODELS

BOCA RATON, FL - With the additions of Charlotte and Saint Louis for the 2005-06 season, the Atlantic 10 directors of athletics have adopted a revised scheduling model as it pertains to men's and women's basketball. The directors also adopted scheduling models in each sport in which regular season competition is conducted.

The directors, at their annual meeting at the Boca Raton Resort and Club, voted to maintain a 16-game Conference basketball schedule, while eliminating divisional play in favor of one 14-team division.

"We compiled a number of scheduling models so the directors would have many options from which to choose," says Atlantic 10 commissioner Linda Bruno. "The directors were emphatic in their desire to play every team at least once. The model they adopted best meets that goal."

Under the new regular season basketball scheduling model, each team will play three opponents twice and the remaining 10 opponents once, creating a 16-game league schedule. After the 2005-06 season, the sites of the games will change with those played at home being played on the road in 2006-07 and vice versa.

Below is a list of which men's basketball teams will face each other in a home-and-home series in 2005-06 and 2006-07:

Charlotte - UD, GW, UR

Dayton - CHA, SLU, XU

Duquesne - FOR, LAS, SBU

Fordham - DUQ, URI SBU

George Washington - CHA, UR, SJU

La Salle - DUQ, UM, TU

Massachusetts - LAS, URI, TU

Rhode Island - FOR, UM, SLU

Richmond - CHA, GW, SBU

St. Bonaventure - DUQ, FOR, UR

Saint Joseph's - GW, TU, XU

Saint Louis - UD, URI, XU

Temple - LAS, UM, SJU

Xavier - UD, SJU, SLU

Below is a list of which women's basketball teams will face each other in a home-and-home series in 2005-06 and 2006-07:

Charlotte - UR, SLU, XU

Dayton - DUQ, SLU, XU

Duquesne - UD, SBU, SLU

Fordham - URI, SBU, SJU

George Washington - UR, TU, XU

La Salle - UM, URI, SJU

Massachusetts - LAS, URI, SBU

Rhode Island - FOR, LAS, UM

Richmond - CHA, GW, TU

St. Bonaventure - DUQ, FOR, UM

Saint Joseph's - FOR, LAS, TU

Saint Louis - CHA, UD, DUQ

Temple - GW, UR, SJU

Xavier - UD, CHA, GW

The format of the 2006 Atlantic 10 basketball championships will be discussed at further length when the directors of athletics meet in September.

The directors also adopted a nine-game schedule in men's and women's soccer and a full round-robin schedule in softball. Previously, the directors adopted nine three-game series in baseball with each game being nine innings, full round-robin schedules in women's lacrosse and field hockey, and divisional play in women's volleyball with each team facing its divisional opponents in a home-and-home series and its non-divisional opponents once.

Ah, Muskies and Billikens, Jesuits all, going at it again!!

Thanks for the post. It is interesting that SLU's "mirror" teams are the expected Dayton and Xavier, but also Rhode Island. I do not think SLU's schedule strength will be hurt by doubling up on some of the A-10's best teams.

I am sure a lot of other Billiken fans would have expected another team (like Charlotte) but I guess I should be happy that I will be guaranteed to go to more games. I am prepared to say I will likely be at any SLU game at Amherst (MA) or Kingston (RI).

This is a bit off topic but I wanted to point out that BC's exodus to the ACC is not 100% worked out yet. Most people think BC is going to move this year like Miami and Viginny Polytechnic Institute. They are scheduled to go in fall 2005 when C-USA/A10/etc. moves are made.

However, after the original deals of Big East to ACC came through as only 2 teams, the Big East and BC voted to dramatically raise the penalty of moving. BC's later agreement to move is subject to a $5 million dollar exit fee if it happens in 2005 but a lot less if they move in 2006. The Big East and BC have been in court fighting it and as of a few days ago have NOT worked out an agreement. Most people assumed this deal would have been reached a while ago but the Big East is taking a hard line and BC is threatening to delay their move to reduce the exit fee. Obviously, something will likely be resolved but as of now BC wants everyone to take their threat of not moving until fall 2006 seriously (and thus Big East B-Ball would have 17 teams when Cincy, Marquette, DePaul, Louisville move over!).

Thanks for the A10 conference news. I'm somewhat surprised that we got URI as our third pod team, along with Dayton and X. I was hoping one of the three Philadephia teams would be in our pod. Perhaps that will happen in the 2006 and 2007 seasons. Does Southwest Airlines fly into Rhode Island?

I am happy with our pod as well. URI is a decent team and won't hurt out RPI. I remember back on the A10 board they wanted a two division format w/ most of the better teams in the A10 West. That would have helped us out more so but this seems fair as well.

Steve I echo your feelings. I live in Arlington, VA right outside Washington and I was hoping to see them more than just once in 3 years. I guess I will have to go up to Philly to see the Bills up there. At least they are finally coming to the East Coast!!

I like our grouping as we have had a history with both Dayton and Xavier. It will be good to play those two schools home and home again...now I'm just hoping there isn't a Byron Larkin, Jr. lurking in thw wings somewhere.

The options are much more in our favor as I see it. From here in Baltimore, I have options now that I never had before. Temple. St. Joe's. La Salle. GeoWashington. Richmond. Fordham (a trip to the city!). Even Duquesne is not that far of an option or even Charlotte if they're a good weekend deal.

And when tournament time rolls around, about the farthest away I'd have to travel is St. Louis, which would be a fine homecoming and a great memory lane trip. Louisville is no longer in the mix. Neither is Memphis. Dayton means free room and while the same holds if Cincy stays in the mix, there is no way in h*ll X fans are as obnoxious and such royal pains in the *sses as UC fans are. That in and of itself is a nice benefit! You'd think some of those UC fans could afford front teeth with that UC education! (gruehls and uctom excluded ... naticat is not a grad ..... is he hitched yet?)

I don't understand the URI connection ... I would have thought we'd get to keep Charlotte as well but cie la vie. All in all I still think its much better than it was and less worse then it could have been.

On the Dayton board, several posters have suggested that the 3-team pods were designed to enhance the "strength of schedule" ranking of those top A10 teams that had a shot of getting into the Big Dance. That is as good of an explanation as I have heard.

btw, one Dayton poster described SLU and Charlotte as...."always decent, rarely bad, and at times excellent".

My "c'est la vie (nm)" was a joke -- a double ententre. I was agreeing with the statement, "c'est la vie" (French, meaning, "that's life" or "such is life" -- or, as Triangle andToo puts it, "so it goes..."), but I also wanted to present the correct spelling of the phrase, in case anyone were interested. I'm sorry that some of you vulgar, ditchdigging tards (Shakespearean insult in jest) weren't able to pick up on my feeble effort at humor.

I promise you, folks, I let at least 90 percent of the grammatical and spelling mistakes on this board slide. Heck, I even let around 20 percent of my OWN mistakes stay on the board, so please stop jumping on my case.