Bruce Pearl

mbart33

I think Chris Mooney is the best option if he is willing to move from Richmond.

He apparently makes about 700k/year and has a long term contract. If SLU gets the bump to join the C7 and is willing to dish out some money, I think we could land him. It would be the closest we could get to Majerus' twist on the Princeton offense.

He already has a plus in Biondi's book:

NYT article March 6, 2010:

"Mooney was raised in an Irish Catholic neighborhood in northeast Philadelphia. When he was in third grade and his older brother, Kevin, shot baskets on a Nerf hoop in the family’s home, Mooney would put on his Communion suit, scribble plays in a notebook and pretend to be a coach."

I think Chris Mooney is the best option if he is willing to move from Richmond.

He apparently makes about 700k/year and has a long term contract. If SLU gets the bump to join the C7 and is willing to dish out some money, I think we could land him. It would be the closest we could get to Majerus' twist on the Princeton offense.

He already has a plus in Biondi's book:

NYT article March 6, 2010:

"Mooney was raised in an Irish Catholic neighborhood in northeast Philadelphia. When he was in third grade and his older brother, Kevin, shot baskets on a Nerf hoop in the family’s home, Mooney would put on his Communion suit, scribble plays in a notebook and pretend to be a coach."

This is interesting. Mooney had a nice little run with Anderson, Gonzalvez, etc. I liked the way that team played basketball, and they had plenty of talent, so you know he's a decent recruiter. He's not exactly big time, but I think it would be a nice get if other, flashier options don't pan out.

Pearl? Yes please. SLU has had luck bringing in coaches strait from the broadcast studio.

If we're going that route, that gentleman who used to coach at Indiana wouldn't be a bad choice.

Considering that Sampson's show-clause penalty has expired, I would have to agree, if going that route...

oh geez. the thought of sampson, knight, pearl makes me ill. i need to get out of here for awhile.

I love those guys!

The hiring of Sampson would be so worth it if only to see Roy blow his stack and renounce his Billiken fandom for good. :lol:

What's Calipari doing these days? :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BustedDreams49" data-cid="337262" data-time="1358967534"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billiken_roy" data-cid="337261"><p>oh geez. the thought of sampson, knight, pearl makes me ill. i need to get out of here for awhile.</p></blockquote>

It's been a couple days since I suggested Tarkanian :)</p></blockquote>

Tark is half past dead.

Pearl? Yes please. SLU has had luck bringing in coaches strait from the broadcast studio.

If we're going that route, that gentleman who used to coach at Indiana wouldn't be a bad choice.

I think BustedDreams is referencing Dan Dakich...Sampson's replacement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Dakich

No, it was Bobby Knight.

One interesting aspect about Pearl was his relationship with Jimmy Collins who was an asst coach at Illinois at the time that Pearl pulled his secret recording thing while at Iowa. Basically Pearl was trying to catch Collins in a scandal. Later Collins became head coach at UIC in the Horizon League and Pearl became head coach at UW-Milwaukee also in the Horizon League. Whenever UIC would play UWM Collins would not talk or shake hands with Pearl and once turned and walked away from Pearl when Pearl tried to talk with him. Collins would humiliate Pearl as much as possible.