UConn, Cincy staying with Basketball 7????

ARon

Earl just retweeted this:

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4719

"While the football half of what remains of the Big East was conducting meetings in Dallas, hoping to keep San Diego Stateand other nervous membersin the fold, the group of 7 Catholic schools were considering a proposal which would add existing football members Connecticut and Cincinnati into the group for all sports but football."

Sounds worrisome but the same article also says this:

"The plan would be then to increase the group to 12 with the addition of such schools as Butler, Xavier and Saint Louis the front runners."

I can see UConn and Cincy getting a bit desperate given the state of the football BE and with ACC invites not coming as quickly as they hoped. But I don't know of I buy Cincy and Xavier wanting to be in the same league.

"While the football half of what remains of the Big East was conducting meetings in Dallas, hoping to keep San Diego Stateand other nervous membersin the fold, the group of 7 Catholic schools were considering a proposal which would add existing football members Connecticut and Cincinnati into the group for all sports but football."

"The plan would be then to increase the group to 12 with the addition of such schools as Butler, Xavier and Saint Louis the front runners."

I can see UConn and Cincy getting a bit desperate given the state of the football BE and with ACC invites not coming as quickly as they hoped. But I don't know of I buy Cincy and Xavier wanting to be in the same league.

Hmmmm.... Cincy and X in the same league? Maybe if it is a UFC league. Zip 'em up!,

This conference stuff is better than a season of 24. Always some good plot twists.

They are rerunning the 1st season of 24 right now. An episode a day, today is hour 5. I don't know the station but it's AUD on direct. They replay that days episode 3 or 4 times throughout the day

This conference stuff is better than a season of 24. Always some good plot twists.

They are rerunning the 1st season of 24 right now. An episode a day, today is hour 5. I don't know the station but it's AUD on direct. They replay that days episode 3 or 4 times throughout the day

They ran the entire season on New Years Day, so I started watching, got hooked again and recorded all of it.

Seems pretty par fetched as its basically the existing Big East telling South Florida and all the other schools that were planning on joining next year to take a hike while they invite 3 more basketball only schools.

I can see why Dayton wouldn't make the cut with that alignment as nobody needs 3 teams from Ohio but I'm not sure how we would have "jumped" over Creighton, unless all the other reports about Creighton being in good shape were just b.s. (which is of course, quite possible).

Seems pretty par fetched as its basically the existing Big East telling South Florida and all the other schools that were planning on joining next year to take a hike while they invite 3 more basketball only schools.

I can see why Dayton wouldn't make the cut with that alignment as nobody needs 3 teams from Ohio but I'm not sure how we would have "jumped" over Creighton, unless all the other reports about Creighton being in good shape were just b.s. (which is of course, quite possible).

Agreed - except this is the same guy who reported the initial break before EVERYBODY.

This simply won't happen.

Has this made the press yet?

Reported locally today that Fr. Shanley and the president of Villanova will be the leads on the Big East split negotiations. Seems like that portion might be fully litigated soon.

I ran into Fr. Shanley at the gym today. Took ever lick of my sense to not actively politic for SLU. Love the Billikens but love employment more.

If it means they could get a couple hundred thousand in tv rights for a few years and get the NCAA credits those two would leave behind when they left they would add them. I doubt it happens, but if they take cincy and ucon with them they can completely disolve the Big East and the seven keep all their current credits.

The two schools that should be really worried about this are Temple and Dayton. Temple gets stuck with a even less attractive future. No way Dayton gets an invite with X and Cincy. Dayton would be stuck on the outside until Cincy gets a big five conference invite.

I don't think this will happen for one major reason, UConn and Cincy would both jump at a chance to join a BCS conference if/when the situation presents itself. There have been rumblings that the Big10 (orBig) will add more teams. Would figure UConn to be a target. UC not so much as OSU won't go for it, but I guess everyone's in play these days so who knows.

If this is indeed what they're thinking, ie keeping UConn and UC, it does make sense that SLU would be the preferred choice over UD and Creighton. They don't need 3 teams located w/in an hour of one another. Creighton wouldn't make sense from an all sports point of view and they have a small TV market.

But bottom line is the C7 have seen what FB schools do when the biggies come a callin'. I would think their top priority would be creating a conference w/ stone cold lock stability at this juncture. They won't achieve that by keeping UC and UConn.

Why would the BB only schools want to start that whole football mess over again - they are now at a point that they can make a clean break and set up something that will last a long time. Also, if they are thinking they need to have like minded schools then UConn and Cincy do not fit the bill as VCU does not. I have always questioned the Dayton thing - I really never understood why they would need two schools in the same area of Ohio - it is not like it is a huge population area. You take X and you got the that entire TV market - you take X and Dayton and you have not got one more TV set from it. Cincy is like Memphis they do not fit anywhere - they are trying to be big time programs for BB and football and all they end up is hurting themselves in either BB or football. Memphis is also fighting a location problem.