C7 Presidents meeting in New York today

SLUDrew

For basketball, 12 doesn't make a lot of sense, but for increasing the number of games available for broadcast. However, how valuable is a Dayton-Seton Hall game on a Tuesday? I think people assume 12 is a good number because football conferences think it is, but I am not so sure its a good number for basketball. 10 is a good since it allows for an 18 game home-home schedule. 12 does allow for a few more midwestern teams, which will reduce travel costs for non-revenue sports. Actually, 9 isn't a bad number. The old BE had 9 for many years. Leaves room for some nice out of conference, made for tv matchups.

I think the 7 view themselves as a league already. I would guess the reduced payout would be akin to an enterance fee for the other schools. Long term, I think everyone will receive the same payout. I also question ESPN reporting on a FOX offer. Doesn't make much sense. ESPN ceased being a news source years ago. There has to be an alterior motive for the report.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For basketball, 12 doesn't make a lot of sense, but for increasing the number of games available for broadcast. However, how valuable is a Dayton-Seton Hall game on a Tuesday? I think people assume 12 is a good number because football conferences think it is, but I am not so sure its a good number for basketball. 10 is a good since it allows for an 18 game home-home schedule. 12 does allow for a few more midwestern teams, which will reduce travel costs for non-revenue sports. Actually, 9 isn't a bad number. The old BE had 9 for many years. Leaves room for some nice out of conference, made for tv matchups.

People here want 12 because that means a significant likelihood that SLU is in. We'd be fine with 8 if that meant SLU was the 8th team.

However, I agree with you on the 12 being a football driven number. That was the magic number for a conference championship game. The old days (80s and 90s) were smaller numbers in conferences -- BE had 9. Big 10 truly had 10. Big 8, Pac 8 etc. I think the Great Midwest was a phenominal basketball conference with 6 teams and added a 7th with Dayton while it lasted. It began its decline when it became C-USA to accomodate football even though that meant Louisville, Memphis, UAB, Tulane, S. Florida and S. Miss.

People here want 12 because that means a significant likelihood that SLU is in. We'd be fine with 8 if that meant SLU was the 8th team.

However, I agree with you on the 12 being a football driven number. That was the magic number for a conference championship game. The old days (80s and 90s) were smaller numbers in conferences -- BE had 9. Big 10 truly had 10. Big 8, Pac 8 etc. I think the Great Midwest was a phenominal basketball conference with 6 teams and added a 7th with Dayton while it lasted. It began its decline when it became C-USA to accomodate football even though that meant Louisville, Memphis, UAB, Tulane, S. Florida and S. Miss.

12 makes sense over 9 or 10 because we are talking about smaller schools with smaller groups of alumni nationwide. You can't have a league with only smaller schools, small alumni base, a tiny geographic footprint and expect it to be a relevant conference in the country. The old Big East had two things going for it that this conference won't. First, it won't have a chance to grow along with ESPN growing (maybe the most underrated thing that help the Big East become the Big East as we knew it). Second, It won't have any of the bigger state schools to help provide a fan base.

Well, as to point 1, the tv offer is evidently from Fox Sports 1. Just like ESPN was, its a new network. Unlike ESPN in 1979, Fox Sports 1 has an over the air network behind it. The new conference could get significant exposure during NFL games, and maybe even, a game of the week on Fox after football ends. Sunday afternoon BE basketball on Fox has a nice ring to it.

As for your other point,the original BE had 5 of the Catholics in the C7, Pitt, Syracuse, BC and Uconn. So, 2 public schools. UConn and DePaul are about the same size. UConn, like DePaul now, was also a pretty much a doormat with no fans for most of the 70s and 80s. If the new conference adds VCU, its about the same size as Pitt, albeit in a smaller market. Syracuse is a wildcard because it is a fairly big private with a pretty large following in NYC. So, while the old BE might have had a bit larger alumni base, its was not that much larger than what is being proposed right now.

The growth with Fox Sports 1 will be nothing like the growth that occurred with ESPN. ESPN was the only game in town when hardly any sports were on TV and they brought the Big East to everyone in the country who wanted to watch sports. The market is flooded with sports choices for viewers now. The second spurt of of growth for Big East basketball was heavily dependent on large public unvesities. You had Pitt, UConn, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnatti, Va Tech, South Florida, and the non public but hugely followed Notre Dame feeding that growth.

Just heard from a good source that an announcement is coming weds and that we will all be very happy.

Well, I've been a Bill's fan for a long time so I'm of course a "glass half-empty" guy. But this is VERY intriguing and I'm hoping for the best.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BillikenFriar" data-cid="335049" data-time="1357611804"><p>

Just heard from a good source that an announcement is coming weds and that we will all be very happy.</p></blockquote>

Hopefully it's not more "great news" that they are going to 10 but may go to 12 eventually. I tease of course.

I really really hope you are right but only time will tell...

No sir. I do "know" him though.

Providence is a small town and the Big East was founded and is still based here. I am not surprised that we are the big leaky members in all this.

Just heard from a good source that an announcement is coming weds and that we will all be very happy.

Do you operate an alias account on the Xavier board as DarthFriar or is Providence just generally a leaky cauldron of information?

http://www.xavierhoops.com/member.php?4580-DarthFriar

Here are a few things I have been told that may lead some credence to BillikenFriar.

I know the powers at SLU have been working diligently to put us in a position to become part of the new conference. The AD and Biondi have been working very hard to put us in the most attractive position. I know today is an important day to the powers that control our end and perhaps Wed we will get good news. They feel we have a lot to offer in terms of TV market, arena, competitive program and demographics that fit the mold. The question was whether it goes 10 or 12.

I can assure this board that our guys have been doing everything possible to sell our program in the most positive light. I will know more later today.

No sir. I do "know" him though.

Providence is a small town and the Big East was founded and is still based here. I am not surprised that we are the big leaky members in all this.

Do you operate an alias account on the Xavier board as DarthFriar or is Providence just generally a leaky cauldron of information?

http://www.xavierhoops.com/member.php?4580-DarthFriar

YOU JUST SAID BIG LEAKY MEMBERS.

hardee.

har.

har.