THANKS ! ! to Students @ Game = WOW!

DoctorB

I want to say THANKS to the students at the game last night. And remark on the excitement they brought.

Being the first game, against an unknown team (unless you really are a cbb geek): WOW! a lot of positive energy.

You could tell we had some tournament success last year; the students brought it out and really cheered on the team. I can't wait till we get some of our A10 rivals in the house. Chaifetz should really rock out this year!!!

O yeh, one more thing: PLEASE KEEP IT UP, and like the team, even keep getting better!!

Even if it was, free pizza is cheap -- heck, Domino's is giving half off to all of us today with our ticket stubs.

Regardless of the reason, that was, in my memory (which now goes back 47 seasons), the best student turnout ever at an opening game. Great job, Slunatics, athletic department, students and whoever else had a hand in putting that together.

Agree with all of the above. We were all stunned at the student turnout - had to be two thousand kids there!!! They significantly overflowed the normal student section and went up into the higher seats, over behind the band and even into seats in the corner. If we keep up this type of student enthusiasm and participation (and if the regular crowd shows up) it gives the team at least an extra 5 or 6 points a game in home court advantage.

Congratulations to the students and the student leaders who encouraged the student body to come to the game.

Agree with all of the above. We were all stunned at the student turnout - had to be two thousand kids there!!! They significantly overflowed the normal student section and went up into the higher seats, over behind the band and even into seats in the corner. If we keep up this type of student enthusiasm and participation (and if the regular crowd shows up) it gives the team at least an extra 5 or 6 points a game in home court advantage.

Congratulations to the students and the student leaders who encouraged the student body to come to the game.

It was especially impressive considering how poor the non-student attendance was.

I think we all agree that the student turnout was way better than expected. I just don't wanna get too carried away here. I would guess that over half of the students there were freshmen who were brought in by an organized "oriflamme" event. While I would love to see that kind of turnout at every game I'm not getting my hopes up quite yet. Let's wait a few games and see where our numbers are. Definite props to the athletic department/oriflamme for facilitating a great home opening student section

If that type of student attendance is sustainable and the community start to embrace the team more and cheer more (which will happen if the team is winning and we play notable teams), our house could become one of the toughest arenas to play in. It is already a pretty difficult place to play in but it could become better this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see SLU go undefeated at home this year.

No kidding! What's the deal????

We are playing "no-name opponents." With the OOC schedule I don't think we will see the community a lot unless it is a big team like always no matter how good the team is. Hopefully in the future we can start home and home with someone like Kansas, Duke, Illinois, or Missouri (heck a game like these might sell out Savvis.) Anyone know if this Lobos game is a long term thing or just a home and home?

We are playing "no-name opponents." With the OOC schedule I don't think we will see the community a lot unless it is a big team like always no matter how good the team is. Hopefully in the future we can start home and home with someone like Kansas, Duke, Illinois, or Missouri (heck a game like these might sell out Savvis.) Anyone know if this Lobos game is a long term thing or just a home and home?

I think the Lobos was a home and home.

Does anyone know what the percentage of those dark blue seats are actually sold? I know for big games they are filled but not for the no names. I wish those people would either use them or see if someone else would like to go.

I think the Lobos was a home and home.

Does anyone know what the percentage of those dark blue seats are actually sold? I know for big games they are filled but not for the no names. I wish those people would either use them or see if someone else would like to go.

Agree 100%. There is a block of seats behind me that are owned by a company that shall remain nameless. I would say that more than 50% of the time the seats are empty or partially empty. It drives me crazy. But, without companies bucking up for those seats, there would be less revenue, so I guess it is a necessary evil.

Agree 100%. There is a block of seats behind me that are owned by a company that shall remain nameless. I would say that more than 50% of the time the seats are empty or partially empty. It drives me crazy. But, without companies bucking up for those seats, there would be less revenue, so I guess it is a necessary evil.

lets name the company! If theyre not gonna use them I would love to get those tix when theyre not using them

We only had 500 more people at the season opener this year than we did last year. Last year we were coming off of a 12-19 season and this year we're coming off a tournament appearance. Not good.

I think the game being on Friday night had something to do with it. There were two couples by me that had to leave after the first half was over so they could make their reservations. I am not joking here...

Once again, this ain't rocket science. There are plenty of alternatives to fill the lower bowl. Perhaps the same marketing folks who came up with the Oriflamme success will see the wisdom of implementing one of them:

1) Those of us of a certain age remember when the U. sold booklets of certificates redeemable for the best available seats for hockey or basketball games -- I think it was day of game, but it might have been up to 24 hours in advance. The certificates were something like $5 when tickets were $10-$12.

2) I'd rather see a variant on this where all season ticket holders would get maybe five or six of these certificates for free and could turn in their seats for "move down" seats -- or a hybrid of the two: season ticket holders get them free, others can buy the booklets.

3) Even easier, SLU could implement the same resale system that the Cardinals use, which would also allow the holders of the expensive seats to recoup some of their money. I think I'd rather see it open only to sales to other season ticket holders, though, so we don't end up with hostiles being able to buy up close-in seats.

I'm in 219, third row behind the student section. I was shocked to see so many students all over the section. I really hope they keep this up!

Once again, this ain't rocket science. There are plenty of alternatives to fill the lower bowl. Perhaps the same marketing folks who came up with the Oriflamme success will see the wisdom of implementing one of them:

1) Those of us of a certain age remember when the U. sold booklets of certificates redeemable for the best available seats for hockey or basketball games -- I think it was day of game, but it might have been up to 24 hours in advance. The certificates were something like $5 when tickets were $10-$12.

2) I'd rather see a variant on this where all season ticket holders would get maybe five or six of these certificates for free and could turn in their seats for "move down" seats -- or a hybrid of the two: season ticket holders get them free, others can buy the booklets.

3) Even easier, SLU could implement the same resale system that the Cardinals use, which would also allow the holders of the expensive seats to recoup some of their money. I think I'd rather see it open only to sales to other season ticket holders, though, so we don't end up with hostiles being able to buy up close-in seats.

Great ideas. I would certainly use/donate my tickets. As to Friday night, I for one had plans to go the game but last minute changes as to my kids' plans kept me from going. By then, it would have been too late to give to anyone including SLU/ticket exchange.

SLU/Fr. Biondi only care about the revenue. Temporary butts in the lower bowl seats is not a priority. Those empty dark blue seats IMO are still part of Fr. Biondi's private holdings to be used for sale/gift to large donors. Again, just my thoughts, but I believe that the top brass at SLU would say that all is fine on the sale of season tickets/donations but, during a brief moment of honesty, would admit that the timeline is taking longer than expected. $1 million to HOF RM -- most assumed that SLU's turnaround would have been sooner. Then, things were delayed by the Situation and now by the loss of RM. Not being negative, just saying that top brass overestimated the demand for tickets and assumed a faster basketball program turnaround but would say that things are still heading in the right direction and that no change of plans is needed.