OT - Cardinals Baseball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-BAB, if your wife was not at game 1 you need to ditch her tonight for the good of the Cardinals!!!

-i like your stats better than these from kfns this morning....In the history of the game, only two teams have won a Game 7 after being up 3-1 at home, losing Game 5 at home, and losing Game 6 on the road: The 1967 Cardinals and the 1972 A’s.

2. Since 1975, there have been 14 Game 7’s when the home team forced a Game 7 by winning Game 6. The home team has won 13 of those Game 7’s. The only exception: the 2006 Cardinals beating the 2006 Mets at Shea Stadium. Oh, and by the way, Chris Carpenter lost Game 6 in that series as well.

The better half will not be at tonight's Game 7. The other ticket has been offered to a big Dodger fan, who can't stand the Giants and their fanbase every bit as much as yours truly.

BAB is doing all in his power for Cardinal Nation, even bringing out a Dodger fan to wreak havoc. Ultimately, it is going to come down to the players on the field.

And it is raining today, like Seattle weather. Jayson Stark reports that MLB intends to play this game today no matter what, barring a hurricane. The rain is supposed to dissipate but could still be hanging around by gametime in the 5:00 Pacific hour. At least if it is overcast, the shadows and sun shining off the CF batter's eye won't be a factor in the early innings like they were last night.

But this game is going to be played on a wet field, and possibly in light rain, which is pretty bad for a Game 7.

If there is a rainout, which is evidently unlikely, the game would reportedly have to be an afternoon game tomorrow, 1:00 Pacific, as sufficient time must be allowed for the Detroit Tigers on the tarmac to get out here, if (God forbid) SF wins tonight.

Count me in the camp that is not sad to see the Cards bow out. Jeez --- if we had had a Yankees/Cards World Series, we might have played a scoreless Game 1 all the way to the start of spring training. Another addition to the "up 3-games-to-1 and choked" list which included the Cards (I think) for their similar blowing of a series lead in the great "Don Denkinger" game/World Series with the Royals.

On the bright side, at least your team is there enough to get listed in such ways. Anybody else find baseball to be extremely boring anymore? Now a World Series with Detroit and San Francisco. Ho-hum. Who cares?

Good run by the Cards overall. Disappointing to see the magic wear off but never saw us going this deep this year with a rookie manager and without a future hall-of-famer in the lineup.

-will Yadi be in the HOF conversation?

-i realize you are talking about albert

Good run by the Cards overall. Disappointing to see the magic wear off but never saw us going this deep this year with a rookie manager and without a future hall-of-famer in the lineup.

Not only that, but we then lose Lance and Carp for the year. I think in the end, the team did well. The way it ended left a bitter taste, however as time goes by and this team ended up 1 win from getting back to the World Series ... it was a good year.

We lost, fair and square, 3 in a row, couldn't hit, pitch, or field. Blown out.

For the post season, at that stage, losing Furcal hurt the most.

And Carp was in spring training, pitching on "guts" alone, he was not really ready after missing the whole year.

Berkman would have come in very handy, too. I wonder how bad Holliday's back must have been to reduce him to what he was this last series... missing balls by a foot, hit a weak .200. 20-20 hindsight but I would have liked to see Matt Carpenter play if we knew Holliday's back was that bad.

That can all be explained.

But Craig .125, Freese .192, Jay .207, and maybe Descalso .200 if you consider him a starter, cannot.

Sub for true starter Kozma, .227 oh, well. And now he does not look like the "answer" to replace Furcal after next yr.

VERY good year considering losing Furcal, Berkman, Carp, and Wainwright coming back after a year's DL.

With young arms Rosenthal, Kelly, Lynn, and Miller, we have a very good outlook for 2013.

We lost, fair and square, 3 in a row, couldn't hit, pitch, or field. Blown out.

For the post season, at that stage, losing Furcal hurt the most.

And Carp was in spring training, pitching on "guts" alone, he was not really ready after missing the whole year.

Berkman would have come in very handy, too. I wonder how bad Holliday's back must have been to reduce him to what he was this last series... missing balls by a foot, hit a weak .200. 20-20 hindsight but I would have liked to see Matt Carpenter play if we knew Holliday's back was that bad.

That can all be explained.

But Craig .125, Freese .192, Jay .207, and maybe Descalso .200 if you consider him a starter, cannot.

Sub for true starter Kozma, .227 oh, well. And now he does not look like the "answer" to replace Furcal after next yr.

VERY good year considering losing Furcal, Berkman, Carp, and Wainwright coming back after a year's DL.

With young arms Rosenthal, Kelly, Lynn, and Miller, we have a very good outlook for 2013.

Agree completely.

1. We need a RH bat off the bench with some pop.

2. Help up the middle ...

a- long term help at short with furcall manning 2nd until Wong is ready in 14? Stephen Drew? JJ Hardy available with Machada coming up? I don't know

b- a one year upgrade at 2b .. maybe Kelly Johnson?

3. Better more established help out of the pen from the left side

Unless it's a true blockbuster ... please don't say Andrus. I don't want to give up our young arms. The future is cost controlled starting pitching. We should not give up Miller, Rosenthall, Kelly, Martinez, Wacha, or Lynn unless it's truly a huge upgrade at SS.

Good post, MB.

I agree with others that the Cards pretty much overachieved in the postseason, and considering the injuries and off-season changes, really should be commended for getting as far as they did. Of course, it still doesn't take away the sting of watching them get absolutely shut down these last 3 games, after going up 3-1 on the Giants. Those last three games were just brutal to watch. It kind of reminds me of the 1996 Cards, who went up 3-1 on the Braves and then got blitzed by the Braves the next 3 games (Game 6 was close, but 5 and 7 they lost by a combined score of 29-0.)

As far as Kozma, I think we just saw a reversion back to the mean with him in the postseason. He is a lifetime .236 hitter in the minors and had looked like a 1st round bust when Furcal got hurt. He wasn't even playing SS everyday in Memphis, as he was playing more 2B. It looked like Matheny was going to go with Descalso at SS and Schumaker at 2B when Furcal got hurt, but Kozma hit well right off the bat, and had a really good September at the plate. However, his defense was still mediocre, at best, and eventually his bat was going to cool off. And that is what we saw occur in the postseason, as he hit .214 with 14 Ks in 13 playoff games. He also committed 4 errors in the playoffs, and that doesn't count the infield fly that shouldn't have been, along with a few other mishandles. He might have a future as a utility infielder, but don't see him as an everyday option at SS.

Obviously, the lack of production from Jay, Craig, Holliday and Freese, as MB pointed out, seems to be the main reason we lost this series and collapsed at the end. It is telling when Molina, your #5 hitter, hits .393, goes 4-4 in Game 7, yet only has 2 RBI all series. I would also say the sloppy defense didn't help, especially in the last 3 games. And other than Waino in Game 4, you didn't really see any of the starters go deep, placing a lot of burden on the bullpen.

But, that is all just nitpicking, I suppose. This team went very far despite many roadblocks and setbacks. It would have been great to beat the odds and get another World Series title, but we finally just ran out of magic. 2013 looks to be a good year. Even with Lohse going elsewhere, the starting rotation is stacked, as you have a surplus of good arms to choose from. You also have some potential replacements in place for other positions, as Kolten Wong is on the horizon at 2B, and Matt Carpenter looks to be a legit MLB hitter who can replace Beltran after next year. Things definitely look good for the immediate future of the Cards.

Good post, MB.

I agree with others that the Cards pretty much overachieved in the postseason, and considering the injuries and off-season changes, really should be commended for getting as far as they did. Of course, it still doesn't take away the sting of watching them get absolutely shut down these last 3 games, after going up 3-1 on the Giants. Those last three games were just brutal to watch. It kind of reminds me of the 1996 Cards, who went up 3-1 on the Braves and then got blitzed by the Braves the next 3 games (Game 6 was close, but 5 and 7 they lost by a combined score of 29-0.)

As far as Kozma, I think we just saw a reversion back to the mean with him in the postseason. He is a lifetime .236 hitter in the minors and had looked like a 1st round bust when Furcal got hurt. He wasn't even playing SS everyday in Memphis, as he was playing more 2B. It looked like Matheny was going to go with Descalso at SS and Schumaker at 2B when Furcal got hurt, but Kozma hit well right off the bat, and had a really good September at the plate. However, his defense was still mediocre, at best, and eventually his bat was going to cool off. And that is what we saw occur in the postseason, as he hit .214 with 14 Ks in 13 playoff games. He also committed 4 errors in the playoffs, and that doesn't count the infield fly that shouldn't have been, along with a few other mishandles. He might have a future as a utility infielder, but don't see him as an everyday option at SS.

Obviously, the lack of production from Jay, Craig, Holliday and Freese, as MB pointed out, seems to be the main reason we lost this series and collapsed at the end. It is telling when Molina, your #5 hitter, hits .393, goes 4-4 in Game 7, yet only has 2 RBI all series. I would also say the sloppy defense didn't help, especially in the last 3 games. And other than Waino in Game 4, you didn't really see any of the starters go deep, placing a lot of burden on the bullpen.

But, that is all just nitpicking, I suppose. This team went very far despite many roadblocks and setbacks. It would have been great to beat the odds and get another World Series title, but we finally just ran out of magic. 2013 looks to be a good year. Even with Lohse going elsewhere, the starting rotation is stacked, as you have a surplus of good arms to choose from. You also have some potential replacements in place for other positions, as Kolten Wong is on the horizon at 2B, and Matt Carpenter looks to be a legit MLB hitter who can replace Beltran after next year. Things definitely look good for the immediate future of the Cards.

I doubt Beltran gets replaced by Matt C. We have a kid in the minors that I've heard is going to hit pretty good. You've heard of him I'm sure Oscar Tavares who is now being rated by some as the #1 position player in all of the minor leagues. He will hit ...

Matt C will get some work at 2b and possibly pick up quite a few at bats there next year, but imo... he really fits in well as a 400-500 ab utility player at 1b, 3b, 2b, and RF and as short term injury replacement.

I don't want to trade any arms as I'm not 100% sold on Waino coming back full strength at his contract is up next year ... I wouldn't pay him as a #1 unless he performs at that level in 13. Maybe it doesn't work out. Carp is gone after next year or will be basically year to year if he's re signed. Westbrook won't be back in 14 ... that leaves a potential rotation for 14 consisting 5 of Garcia (who has to be a ?), Lynn, Kelly, Miller, Rosenthall, Wacha?, Martinez? It would be young ... but how very talented.

Agree completely.

1. We need a RH bat off the bench with some pop.

2. Help up the middle ...

a- long term help at short with furcall manning 2nd until Wong is ready in 14? Stephen Drew? JJ Hardy available with Machada coming up? I don't know

b- a one year upgrade at 2b .. maybe Kelly Johnson?

3. Better more established help out of the pen from the left side

Unless it's a true blockbuster ... please don't say Andrus. I don't want to give up our young arms. The future is cost controlled starting pitching. We should not give up Miller, Rosenthall, Kelly, Martinez, Wacha, or Lynn unless it's truly a huge upgrade at SS.

1. Perhaps someone like Casey McGehee? Pretty sure his days as an everyday player are over, and he can probably be had for cheap as I would doubt the Yankees will tender him. He is still only 30 and can fill in a little at 3rd and 1st. Even if not McGehee, I am sure there are players like him that you can find on the scrapheap this winter.

2. Not sure if I would go with Drew. He already had average to below-average range at SS before his ankle injury, and it appears it got worse this past season. If he can recapture his 2008 form at the plate, one would be willing to look past the decreased defensive performance at SS. But that is a big if. He is still relatively young, but he is also going to come with a decent pricetag as Boras is his agent, and he is a Drew. Personally, I would try to look for other options.

Hardy would be great. He played superb defense at SS and has power. However, he is locked into a deal with Baltimore until 2015, so the pricetag would be at least one (probably more) of our young starting pitchers. Would you be willing to part with that to get Hardy? Maybe a better option is to see if there is a somewhat decent, young SS on another team that has his progression blocked by another SS. Maybe someone like Rutledge on Colorado? It would be possible to get someone like that relatively cheap, where there is little risk. Just a thought.

Personally, I think the Cards are going to see if they can get another year (or at least half a year) out of Furcal at SS and just play patchwork again with the middle infield. Maybe get a rent-a-player at 2B for a year while waiting for Wong.

3. Scrabble was very disappointing this year, and we just never seemed to have a reliable lefty option out of the pen all season. Perhaps Freeman can turn into that, as he has good velocity. But we can't go after a scrapheap guy like Romero again and hope for the best. Perhaps Rzepczynski can bounce back and have a solid 2013. He seems to have plus-grade stuff. But Mozeliak should be on the lookout for a decent, veteran lefty this winter.

STL fans should be proud of their team, they definitely went father than expected this year. A mediocre / average baseball team was able to sneak into the playoffs under the new 2nd wildcard and come within inches of a WS birth before getting pummeled on national TV in games 6 & 7. #12 in 13 Go Tigers!

I thought you were a Yankee fan?

1. Perhaps someone like Casey McGehee? Pretty sure his days as an everyday player are over, and he can probably be had for cheap as I would doubt the Yankees will tender him. He is still only 30 and can fill in a little at 3rd and 1st. Even if not McGehee, I am sure there are players like him that you can find on the scrapheap this winter. 2. Not sure if I would go with Drew. He already had average to below-average range at SS before his ankle injury, and it appears it got worse this past season. If he can recapture his 2008 form at the plate, one would be willing to look past the decreased defensive performance at SS. But that is a big if. He is still relatively young, but he is also going to come with a decent pricetag as Boras is his agent, and he is a Drew. Personally, I would try to look for other options. Hardy would be great. He played superb defense at SS and has power. However, he is locked into a deal with Baltimore until 2015, so the pricetag would be at least one (probably more) of our young starting pitchers. Would you be willing to part with that to get Hardy? Maybe a better option is to see if there is a somewhat decent, young SS on another team that has his progression blocked by another SS. Maybe someone like Rutledge on Colorado? It would be possible to get someone like that relatively cheap, where there is little risk. Just a thought. Personally, I think the Cards are going to see if they can get another year (or at least half a year) out of Furcal at SS and just play patchwork again with the middle infield. Maybe get a rent-a-player at 2B for a year while waiting for Wong. 3. Scrabble was very disappointing this year, and we just never seemed to have a reliable lefty option out of the pen all season. Perhaps Freeman can turn into that, as he has good velocity. But we can't go after a scrapheap guy like Romero again and hope for the best. Perhaps Rzepczynski can bounce back and have a solid 2013. He seems to have plus-grade stuff. But Mozeliak should be on the lookout for a decent, veteran lefty this winter.

My thoughts on Drew are the same as yours but maybe not quite as bad. I'm not so sure Hardy would cost so much IF IF the Orioles made him available moving Machado to his natural SS. Maybe Adam's and something else like Seth Blair as they could move Reynolds back to 3rd. Matt Adams is going to hit and he'll crush the ball in Camden Yards. It seems like a pretty good fit to me as he could also DH. Baltimore is always going to have to watch payroll and moving Hardy while getting a young cheap Adams might appeal to them.