November Signings?

Any chance for a November signing? If not, why would the Spring period be any better? Most kids sign in the Fall. I have a bad feeling that we lose three important players and do we get any incoming given an uncertain coaching situation.

Any chance for a November signing? If not, why would the Spring period be any better? Most kids sign in the Fall. I have a bad feeling that we lose three important players and do we get any incoming given an uncertain coaching situation.

"why would the Spring period be any better?" ... going to the tourney again certainly won't hurt if we can pull it off. We'll still be stacked at guard and SF even after this season if we don't lose anybody. I'll be disappointed if we don't land at least a project big for the next class. Much will depend on how this season plays out.

One would hope jjray is on topic, however, I'm with WV on this one given the uncertainty at the top. Plus, spring is/has never been good for us.

However, if there is blossoming by GG and JM, I'm okay .... DE and JD at the three, with "more tough guards than at a state pen ..." according to Lindy's if KC is as real a deal as believed. As some have said, this is not your usual Billikens .......

One would hope jjray is on topic, however, I'm with WV on this one given the uncertainty at the top. Plus, spring is/has never been good for us.

However, if there is blossoming by GG and JM, I'm okay .... DE and JD at the three, with "more tough guards than at a state pen ..." according to Lindy's if KC is as real a deal as believed. As some have said, this is not your usual Billikens .......

Spring has a chance to be different because we will have a permanent head coach by then. Either Crews will be named the permanent coach or they'll bring someone else in. Either way, we won't be in recruiting purgatory like we are this fall.

Taj, you do realize that Jett, Loe, Ellis and Glaze were spring signings right? Plus McBroom and Barnett were spring transfers. That's 6 of 13 total players and 3 of our top 7. Please don't respond with a list of failed spring signings dating back to the 70s. The fact is that nearly half of the deepest and most talented SLU team in the modern era has been from spring signings.

"why would the Spring period be any better?" ... going to the tourney again certainly won't hurt if we can pull it off. We'll still be stacked at guard and SF even after this season if we don't lose anybody. I'll be disappointed if we don't land at least a project big for the next class. Much will depend on how this season plays out.

We can't sign a project big. If he's a project he won't play a lot his freshman year which will doom him to failure in Billiken world. He must already be proven before he can play unless he plays immediately as a freshman. In that instance the hype allows him to play despite being unproven.

We can't sign a project big. If he's a project he won't play a lot his freshman year which will doom him to failure in Billiken world. He must already be proven before he can play unless he plays immediately as a freshman. In that instance the hype allows him to play despite being unproven.

This is a blue font post, right? John Manning played hardly at all his freshman year.

@JMM ---- true. So it's not fair to comapre apples to oranges? Got it. I understand.

But it's okay to compare spring recruiting under Majerus versus spring recruiting under Crews/Whitesell/unknown situation. Got it .... as well.

For the record, I still think that if Remekun/Glaze/Manning advance skills-wise, the interior scoring AND next year's lineup/recruiting will take care of themselves.

@JMM ---- true. So it's not fair to comapre apples to oranges? Got it. I understand.

But it's okay to compare spring recruiting under Majerus versus spring recruiting under Crews/Whitesell/unknown situation. Got it .... as well.

For the record, I still think that if Remekun/Glaze/Manning advance skills-wise, the interior scoring AND next year's lineup/recruiting will take care of themselves.

Taj, you seem to be completely missing the point. I wasn't predicting a good spring signing period, in reality I suspect it will be weak, but I at least allow that in the spring things COULD be different because we'll have a permanent head coach. This fall signing period was doomed the minute we announced Crews as interim coach.

What I was really pointing out was that your statement that the spring has never been good to us was completely off base and the proof is in our current roster.

Agree w/ Kshoe on our recent spring signings. Can understand TajMahal's thinking it's not been kind based on the dregs BS dragged thru the old WP gym doors, but times have changed. A big factor could be how well this season turns out for us. Most recruits would be aware that a lot is expected of this team, if JC fails to deliver it, they'll likely go elsewhere. If we go dancing and somehow make the sweet 16 whoever is the coach should have an easier time getting us some very good players.

After this year, we lose Mitchell, Ellis and Remekun. Looking at the remaining 10 players, I think Ellis will actually be the hardest to replace. We still figure to have four excellent guards - McCall, Jett, Carter and McBroom. We will also be strong at the 3 with Evans and Drew. With the bigs, we're looking at Loe, Manning and Glaze. If Manning and Glaze step up as juniors, we'll be fine with bigs. Really all we will need is another big who is a 10 mpg role player. So we don't figure to have many glaring recruiting needs this spring. If we are coming off back to back NCAA Tournmament appearances, I think we can attract some quality players. My realistic goal for the three scholarships would be to land one decent big who can contribute off the bench as a freshman, one impact transfer who will be eligible the following year (we should be an attractive destination) and with the last schollie either a developmental player or dare I say it... I would be ok "saving the scholarship" with the roster we figure to have.

Not a bad class, Ace, but I guess we've all given up hope of ever landing an AB II, eh? For once, I'd like to see us land that 6-7"/8" 235-250 pounder who's quick and strong with a soft touch around the hoop. But, hey, ST. B's did it w/ Nicholson. Why not SLU?

But, hey, ST. B's did it w/ Nicholson. Why not SLU?

Speaking of Bonawelding, you may be disappointed to hear that during his cross-country tour, Pistol was just a short drive from Olean, but neglected to stop at the Bonaventure campus to pick us up a commemorative welder's mask or destroy one of their campus toilets while yelling, "This one's for Tyler Relph!"

Speaking of Bonawelding, you may be disappointed to hear that during his cross-country tour, Pistol was just a short drive from Olean, but neglected to stop at the Bonaventure campus to pick us up a commemorative welder's mask or destroy one of their campus toilets while yelling, "This one's for Tyler Relph!"

Oh no, what an opportunity lost. Those welders' masks would look great when converted into reading lamps.

@kshoe ---- no, no you are right. But for those who think I linger in the sodie failures, they are wrong. Well, not wrong but I can go back to Romar, Spoon and even Grawer. But i won't because kshoe is right, it has been better. I stand corrected.

Next year rides on this year in my book and its okay if the bigs produce. As ACE points out --- good guards and a pair of threes. Plus a 6'11" shooting big.

On a seperate note, when is the spring signing period? I know we've doen this before but that having a new permanent coach in time to affect the spring signing ... I don't know. Unless we stay homeand remove the interim tag. I am not sold that IS the thing to do in the long term.