A10 media day

wgstl

A10 has slu at # 2 behind STJ. still not bad, but I disagree.

A-10 first team: Dillard (Dayton), Gaston (Fordham), Williams (UMass), Mitchell (SLU), Wyatt (Temple). A10 seems guard heavy for sure.

The college game is a guard's game. Who else would you consider? Putney and Riley are guards at Umass. I think VCU is guard-dominated --- Burgess, Theus, Brandenburg.. Baron if he is/were still at Rhode Island? He's a guard. Braswell at Charlotte is big but he's left a lot to be desired over the years. Not him. Of course, Aiken was all A10 as was Kanacevic and Roberts at St. Joe's so you got a point there. Wright's a pretyt decent big man at La Salle but you can't elevate him over even others on his team -- Galloway and Duren --- who are also guards. Loe and Ellis don't/can't displace anybody no matter how much we love them.

Nope. This is expected. Of these five, I can see Gaston as the most probable lock for not being here at the end of the year. After that, I would think Kwamain is second. Not because he's not good but more so because of his supporting cast be so much better than any else's other than Williams' at Umass.

Beware Umass. Hope Kellog's coaching inability rises to the top.

http://grfx.cstv.com...asonrelease.pdf

Preseason Poll:

1. St. Joes

2. SLU

3. VCU

4. Temple

5. Umass

6. Butler

7. La Salle

8. Dayton

9. Xavier

10. Richmond

11. St. Bonaventure

12. Charlotte

13. George Washington

14. Fordham

15. Rhode Island

16. Duquesne

1st Team:

Kevin Dillard (Dayton)

Chris Gaston (Fordham)

Kwamain Mitchell (SLU)

Chaz Williams (UMass)

Khalif Wyatt (Temple)

2nd Team:

Rotnei Clarke (Butler)

Chris Braswell (Char)

Ramon Galloway (Las)

Langston Galloway (SJU)

Carl Jones (SJU)

3rd Team:

Darien Brothers (Rich)

CJ Aiken (SJU)

Halil Kanacevic (SJU)

Scootie Randall (Temp)

Juvonte Reddick (VCU)

All Defensive Team:

Roosevelt Jones (Butler)

Pierria Henry (Char)

CJ Aiken (SJU)

Jordair Jett (SLU)

Briante Weber (VCU)

All Rookie Team:

Kellen Dunham (Butler)

Jordan Hare (Rhode Island)

Daniel Dingle (Temple)

Melvin Johnson (VCU)

Semaj Christon (Xavier)

According to Timmermann, SLU's road games are against: 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16. Very winnable

This is wrong though.

Away games are:

4. Temple

6. Butler

9. Xavier

10. Richmond

11. St. Bonaventure

13. George Washington

14. Fordham

16. Duquesne

Im surprised LaSalle isnt getting more preseason love...if i remember right, they were 9-7 last year in a10 and are returning everyone including that frosh pf they had who if not for Cory slowing him down we would have lost that game..

just looked up their roster...jerrell wright is who i was referring to...duren and galloway are fantastic players also...dr. john might be prescribing some a10 kryptonite this yr...watch for lasalle to surprise ppl this year - overall I agree with the rankings though

The college game is a guard's game. Who else would you consider? Putney and Riley are guards at Umass.

Beware Umass. Hope Kellog's coaching inability rises to the top.

I have said this before but Putney is 6' 9" and is formally listed always as a forward. He can shoot and will drift around the outside on offense but his not now and probably never has been a guard. (A small point but Jesse Morgan will probably be the next best guard after Williams; Riley is a decent player but his stock has gone down--transfer Gordon may even see more time).

-x at 9, let's see if they can play and coach themselves up from that ranking, i wonder the last time they were that low or even out of the top 4

-i hope DE sees that he was overlooked and rocks everyone's world

-if folks want to get worked up over this here you go... there are 4 players on the top 3 all conf teams from the team picked to finish first (sju) and 1 player from the team picked to finish second (SLU), that could be indicative of any of a several things

Surprised Carter didn't get a little more love on the all frosh squad. Probably the voters aren't expecting him to play much w/ our experience at guard. I think CE might surprise some folks this year. I'll give him at least a 3rd team vote at this juncture.

Surprised Carter didn't get a little more love on the all frosh squad. Probably the voters aren't expecting him to play much w/ our experience at guard. I think CE might surprise some folks this year. I'll give him at least a 3rd team vote at this juncture.

East coast bias

Our guys don't put up enough counting stats to make the all-conference teams. Chris Gaston is first team all conference because he puts up 17 PPG and 10 RPG while playing a lot of minutes and taking a ton of shots on a horrible team.

Exactly, the tempo that we play at will make it hard for us to put many people on the all-conference team. There just are not enough trips down the court for the counting stats to look impressive.

Here's an interesting stat: last season DE had the highest defensive rebounding rate in the conference by a large margin. Higher than Nicholson, Frease, much higher than Gaston. He was also 6th in the conference in offensive rebounding rate.

Defensive rebounding rate for the A10 from Kenpom:

Dwayne Evans, SLU, 25.2%

Andrew Nicholson, St Bona, 22.8%

Darrius Garrett, Richmond, 22.6%

Kervin Bristol, Fordham, 21.9%

Halil Kanacevic, St Joes, 21.4%

He got 1 out of 4 of all possible defensive rebounds when he was on the court. Don't know how, since he is 6'6" as the most. Counting stats can be very deceiving.

just looked up their roster...jerrell wright is who i was referring to...duren and galloway are fantastic players also...dr. john might be prescribing some a10 kryptonite this yr...watch for lasalle to surprise ppl this year - overall I agree with the rankings though

I agree with you that no one should sleep on LaSalle; however, 7th in the preseason ranking seem about right. The middle level teams in the A10 look stronger than in years past.

Here's an interesting stat: last season DE had the highest defensive rebounding rate in the conference by a large margin. Higher than Nicholson, Frease, much higher than Gaston. He was also 6th in the conference in offensive rebounding rate.

Defensive rebounding rate for the A10 from Kenpom:

Dwayne Evans, SLU, 25.2%

Andrew Nicholson, St Bona, 22.8%

Darrius Garrett, Richmond, 22.6%

Kervin Bristol, Fordham, 21.9%

Halil Kanacevic, St Joes, 21.4%

He got 1 out of 4 of all possible defensive rebounds when he was on the court. Don't know how, since he is 6'6" as the most. Counting stats can be very deceiving.

I love DE's play. Many of his rebounds last year were made possible by Conk's relentless boxing out of the other team's big man. I think Conk's lowish rebound totals last year caused a bit of a harsh reaction on this board. I think Majerus wanted DE and JJ to corral a lot of defensive rebounds, so our taller, non-skywalking frontcourtmen boxed out first, rebounded second. I think CE and DE will both be in line for All-League honors this winter.