Coach Whitesell

slufan13

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When we hired Rick Majerus, how many players did he bring with? Let's be realistic with expectations. If we hire a rising assistant or low level D1 coach in late March after a committee search, do you really expect the new coach to land serious recruits immediately? I would agree its possible but not probable. Especially not bigs because it is harder to find under-recruited bigs. Undersized guards always slip through the cracks but serviceable bigs rarely do. About the only way I see our program being able to do some level of solid recruiting is if the team plays well during the season and the administration removes the interim tag from Crews while there is still time to sign a few players. If we lurch to a committee search after the season then 2013 class recruiting is pretty much dead in the water.

To be fair, Majerus had been out of coaching for a few years when we got him. There would have been no reason he would have been recruiting anyone at the time of his hiring.

To be fair, Majerus had been out of coaching for a few years when we got him. There would have been no reason he would have been recruiting anyone at the time of his hiring.

How many players did Romar bring with? Fish but he had to sit out one year. Romar didn't bring one recruit who played his first year as HC at SLU.

Maybe its just me but I feel like we're going to screw up this situation (not offer a good coach enough money and settle for like our 5th or 6th option) (not hire a coach until June)

Also yeah maybe a new coach will bring in players or recruits but current guys could transfer away from SLU.

How many players did Romar bring with? Fish but he had to sit out one year. Romar didn't bring one recruit who played his first year as HC at SLU.

This is a fair and valid point. However, you tried to make a comparison using Majerus, which didn't really make sense as he'd been out of the coaching game for a while. If you had started your post by mentioning Romar and what occurred when he was hired instead of Majerus, then I wouldn't have responded, and I doubt anyone else would have.

You can't expect to hire a coach, after perhaps multiple signing periods have elapsed, and expect him to bring recruits with him. It happens some time, but you can't expect it.

Additionally, I think people are underestimating the time it takes for recruits to develop relationships with players. Forget about the 2013 class, those guys are committing already. We need to act soon just to stop the bleeding with the 2014 recruits. I think we're in a lot of trouble on that front.

You can't expect to hire a coach, after perhaps multiple signing periods have elapsed, and expect him to bring recruits with him. It happens some time, but you can't expect it.

Additionally, I think people are underestimating the time it takes for recruits to develop relationships with players. Forget about the 2013 class, those guys are committing already. We need to act soon just to stop the bleeding with the 2014 recruits. I think we're in a lot of trouble on that front.

You've been saying we are in trouble on the recruiting front for the past 2 or 3 years.

You've been saying we are in trouble on the recruiting front for the past 2 or 3 years.

Explain to me how we're not in trouble?

Crews wasn't actively recruiting anyone. Whitesell's looking at another job. One of our assistant spots is Vacant. Bronson is new. Tony Young is gone. Our three lead recruiter's in the last three years have all left.

We have relationships with basically no one in a class that is going to start signing before we know it.

This is a fair and valid point. However, you tried to make a comparison using Majerus, which didn't really make sense as he'd been out of the coaching game for a while. If you had started your post by mentioning Romar and what occurred when he was hired instead of Majerus, then I wouldn't have responded, and I doubt anyone else would have.

I think one is delusional to believe SLU is going to hire a coach come March 2013 that will come to the table with his pockets full of valuable recruits. It doesn't generally work that way. Huggins to Kansas State, Calipari to Kentucky are the exception not the rule. We will not be offering the $$$'s to land a celebrity coach who carries recruits in hip pocket. Almost all talented 2013 players will have already signed LOI before we have even hired our new coach (if we go the committee route after the season). I didn't think I needed to give examples to make this rather obvious point. It speaks for itself.

I think one is delusional to believe SLU is going to hire a coach come March 2013 that will come to the table with his pockets full of valuable recruits. It doesn't generally work that way. Huggins to Kansas State, Calipari to Kentucky are the exception not the rule. We will not be offering the $$$'s to land a celebrity coach who carries recruits in hip pocket. Almost all talented 2013 players will have already signed LOI before we have even hired our new coach (if we go the committee route after the season). I didn't think I needed to give examples to make this rather obvious point. It speaks for itself.

The spring signing period could be very good for a new coach taking over a tournament team. There are many talented players that remain uncommitted. Add in the transfers and decommits from the other coaching changes, you have a good pool to choose from.

Most important is to get a coach that can keep Carter, Drew, Manning, and Glaze in the fold.

The spring signing period could be very good for a new coach taking over a tournament team. There are many talented players that remain uncommitted. Add in the transfers and decommits from the other coaching changes, you have a good pool to choose from.

Most important is to get a coach that can keep Carter, Drew, Manning, and Glaze in the fold.

You don't walk up to a kid right before the spring signing period and say "hey do you want to come to our school" when other schools have been on him for years.

You seem somewhat delusional on how recruiting works.

Not to mention that winning programs are not built on spring period recruits.

You don't walk up to a kid right before the spring signing period and say "hey do you want to come to our school" when other schools have been on him for years.

You could have left off the "Not to mention that." because you did mention that. I know you are a freshman and we all have a lot to learn but had to say it.

You could have left off the "Not to mention that." because you did mention that. I know you are a freshman and we all have a lot to learn but had to say it.

My point was only that even if we COULD land spring recruits, that doesn't mean they would be the type of players you want to build your program around.

And my point was that you would have been better off saying "Winning programs are not built..." You wasted words and did what you said you would not do. I understand your point and agree with it. Although one year out of 6 under these circumstances does not mean that SLU is signing kids only in the spring.

So you don't think the next coach will have any previous contacts? You don't think that this staff is still recruiting? You don't think that those two factors would combine to create some spring opportunities?

Actually Kentucky seems to do really well with spring signings.

You seem to be the delusional one. Start calling you Roy jr. You only come around when the times are tough. Nowhere to be seen during the good times.

So you don't think the next coach will have any previous contacts? You don't think that this staff is still recruiting? You don't think that those two factors would combine to create some spring opportunities?

Actually Kentucky seems to do really well with spring signings.

You seem to be the delusional one. Start calling you Roy jr. You only come around when the times are tough. Nowhere to be seen during the good times.

We're not Kentucky, for good and for bad.

I do think a coach would have some contacts. His staff would have been recruiting I'm sure. Those are far too fluid circumstances to count on happening. What if we hire an assistant at a top BCS? Can we assume the players he recruited would want to leave a top program to come to an A-10 school? It could happen, but it certainly isn't something we should rely on. Let's say we hire someone who was a coach at a smaller school, say Oral Roberts or something of that nature. Can we guarantee those players will want to come here and if so, that they're good enough to play in the A-10.

I have a fair amount of confidence in the boys to play well for Coach Crews this year and I expect us to compete for an A-10 title. To think that we are not in trouble on a recruiting front is, I believe, a bit naive.

DID THAT DUDE SAY FUOK ALISON KRAUSS!?!?. HE JUST LOST ALL CRED, THAT'S FOR DAMN SURE. #NEXT #WTF

oh. aleister crowley. still a horribly esoteric namedrop, from such esteemed fellows as themselves. exponentially more palatable, albeit still libelous, and contextually bewildering.

in summation, niggas be trippin'.

I have stayed away from this fray for several reasons - the biggest being I was still some what shell shocked from the RM development and now the JW thing. I think we can still have a good season - win the A10 title I would be surprised, make the tourney absolutely doable but not at the seeding level we could have before all this started. No one can deny that the recruiting situation has now taken a completely different turn and it is not good one. Crews is a stop gap unless he can get the team to perform well, find good coaching staff replacements, and somehow manage to hold on to a couple of decent recruits. Two out 3 won't do it. When something like this happens, the first recruiting effort will be to keep those who you already have on the team in place as shown by Spoon able to keep Claggett and Highmark - keys to the turn round during his time as coach. May has to be on his game for this one - he is the critical person right now - I know Biondi is the "decider" but within all the provisions he gives, May has to hit a homer somehow. As far as spring recruits go - yes the pool is not very deep but there are players available - transfers ( I know they can not play right away) but think long term here, one off year won't kill us coming off two tourney appearances). We got Glaze and Jett this way so to say there is nothing of value out there is just not true. A good HC can recover strong for the fall for recruiting. I am just so disappointed with the way things have happened but life is that way sometimes. I will still be in the stands rooting hard and I still sent in my Billiken Club Membership form but I hope those in charge do not screw this up.

How we come out of this will depend a lot on May doing his job. He has 6 months to work behind the scenes, identify the best candidates and put out feelers to gauge interest. That is far more time than most coaching changes. Unfortunately, that is only half the puzzle. The second half is getting Biondi to allow us to spend the money and promise the support a good coach is going to demand. May is going to need to work on Biondi during that six months to convince him to sign off on a good hire. If this plays out as usual, we've had our tournament appearance and with a little luck may get a second one this year. Then we have an 8 or 9 year drought until the next one.

We're not Kentucky, for good and for bad.

I do think a coach would have some contacts. His staff would have been recruiting I'm sure. Those are far too fluid circumstances to count on happening. What if we hire an assistant at a top BCS? Can we assume the players he recruited would want to leave a top program to come to an A-10 school? It could happen, but it certainly isn't something we should rely on. Let's say we hire someone who was a coach at a smaller school, say Oral Roberts or something of that nature. Can we guarantee those players will want to come here and if so, that they're good enough to play in the A-10.

I have a fair amount of confidence in the boys to play well for Coach Crews this year and I expect us to compete for an A-10 title. To think that we are not in trouble on a recruiting front is, I believe, a bit naive.

I think you don't understand how recruiting works.

Regardless of what type of coach comes here, they will have various contacts across the country. The spring period is littered with guys holding out for their highest level offer, late qualifiers, transfers, and decommits. Filling 3 scholarships in the spring will be no problem at all if the new coach isnt a complete bumble######.