OT: Bauman-Eberhardt/West Pine Gym to get facelift, new mission.

Interesting article on the plans to revitalize a building that is probably very close to this board's collective heart: http://www.fox-arch.com/uncategorized/saint-louis-university-center-for-global-citizenship/

I am behind this move. I think that the building has too pretty of an exterior to be fully torn down and I am glad they are finding a purpose for it. It is a historic building to the spirit of this campus, my grandfather was at the game in the West Pine where Easy Ed earned his nickname by accidentally running out and doing lay-ups during the National Anthem, so I am partial to it not being demolished. It will make sense now with all those flags on top of it.

International studies are one of those categories that seems to boost those often arbitrary Collegian rankings. Rankings systems are impressed when university's have several different areas of study in several different parts of the world, and cultural exchanges extending from them. Hopefully it yields results, either way, using this space on campus is a welcome move.

Go Bills!

Interesting article on the plans to revitalize a building that is probably very close to this board's collective heart: http://www.fox-arch....al-citizenship/

I am behind this move. I think that the building has too pretty of an exterior to be fully torn down and I am glad they are finding a purpose for it. It is a historic building to the spirit of this campus, my grandfather was at the game in the West Pine where Easy Ed earned his nickname by accidentally running out and doing lay-ups during the National Anthem, so I am partial to it not being demolished. It will make sense now with all those flags on top of it.

International studies are one of those categories that seems to boost those often arbitrary Collegian rankings. Rankings systems are impressed when university's have several different areas of study in several different parts of the world, and cultural exchanges extending from them. Hopefully it yields results, either way, using this space on campus is a welcome move.

Go Bills!

"Behind it" as in it has your support or as in it's your brainchild?

"Behind it" as in it has your support or as in it's your brainchild?

this ambiguity pervaded my thoughts as well. i think i get it now, though. it's kind of like michelle jenneke's ass. i didn't make it, but i'm behind it.

Posted Image

At the risk of asking a stupid question - what is the Center for Global Citizenship all about? What would I do with that degree? I agree with Jimbo and I remember fondly working and registering for classes just as in that picture.

From a 2010 press release:

The Center for Global Citizenship will bring together the Office of International Services, the International Studies Program and the English as a Second Language Program — academic and support units currently separated on the Frost Campus.

I am a little confused. The Center for Global Citizenship already exists in Des Peres Hall and they have quite a lot of capacity. What is going on with West Pine? The link does not work.

FWIW: international studies programs do not matter in any of the major college ranking systems.

I am a little confused. The Center for Global Citizenship already exists in Des Peres Hall and they have quite a lot of capacity. What is going on with West Pine? The link does not work.

FWIW: international studies programs do not matter in any of the major college ranking systems.

Its easy money. Does not take much in resources like high paid professors, special buildings or labs (like for your health professions, computer sciences, engineering or sciences), etc...

longtime lurker, current slu med student

I think the whole premise of the center for global citizenship seems a bit odd considering we don't have a massive international student population and we are not in a global city, regardless: http://www.fox-arch.com/?s=slu

I wonder how much at&t donated for the naming rights to the auditorium.

I wonder how much at&t donated for the naming rights to the auditorium.

Surely enough to substantially fund the renovation. I like the idea. Build a 1,000 seat hall in an academic setting, and program suitable events for it. Conferences & speakers that will help AT&T, SLU, and Saint Louis with their international reputations.

If that fails, we can always raze it and provide some needed green space on campus until a better use is found.

I think the whole premise of the center for global citizenship seems a bit odd considering we don't have a massive international student population and we are not in a global city, regardless: http://www.fox-arch.com/?s=slu

US medical schools admit very few international students, but overall, SLU has 900-1,000 international students. The premise of the Center for Global Citizenship is to serve both international students who study here but also domestic students who study overseas.

The goal is to have the Center for Global Citizenship finished by May, as the city of St. Louis is hosting the annual international NAFSA conference in late May. NAFSA = National Association for Foreign Student Advisers. It is now known as NAFSA: Association of International Educators.

http://www.nafsa.org/annualconference/default.aspx?id=3199

The goal is to have the Center for Global Citizenship finished by May, as the city of St. Louis is hosting the annual international NAFSA conference in late May. NAFSA = National Association for Foreign Student Advisers. It is now known as NAFSA: Association of International Educators.

http://www.nafsa.org...lt.aspx?id=3199

?? NAIE?

US medical schools admit very few international students, but overall, SLU has 900-1,000 international students. The premise of the Center for Global Citizenship is to serve both international students who study here but also domestic students who study overseas.

Yes, I'm definitely aware of the fact that med school generally have few if any international students. I was evaluating this proposal in the context of my undergrad institution, which is more than 25% international ( over 7,000 int'l students) and located in New York City.

Yes, I'm definitely aware of the fact that med school generally have few if any international students. I was evaluating this proposal in the context of my undergrad institution, which is more than 25% international (over 7,000 int'l students) and located in New York City.

I understand and please do not take offense to this because obviously you are a smart guy but not a lot of schools come close to Columbia in terms of percentage of internationals. I think only USC has a higher percentage. SLU, on the other hand, is close to average for Doctoral Extensive institutions.