Sloan and Meyer w/ RM as HC

slu72

Since the NZ Olympic thread got carjacked by a discussion of SLU's greatest PF's, I thought this would be a better place to counter statements made that neither of these 2 players would even be on this team.

First, both CS and LM were forced to play out of position due to UB's inability to recruit a decent 4. They both came in as 3's noted for their 3 pt shooting. However, due to manpower shortages they were forced to play the role of undersized athletically challenged 4's. Both players, however, accepted their roles w/o whining and did the most with the least. That said, I would never rate them in any discussion re SLU's top 10 PF's.

Now under RM, he would have kept them at the 3 position and utilized their natural talents as good shooters, gutsy defenders, and ultimate team players. They may not have started but they wouldn't be sitting at the far end of the bench w/ the walk ons either. I think RM would have been happy to have both of these players on this team, he did take a liking to LM as I recall, and both would have contributed in some fashion to any team RM coached, save for '98 Utes.

I am just not sure the current staff would have offered either player. They are looking for a higher-caliber athlete at the small forward position.

You're probably right. I'm just saying if RM found them on one of his teams, I they'd have found a role. Not a major one, but still contribute.

sloan was not "athletically challenged at all. he could run and jump very well. meyer also wasnt as challenged as you insinuate. had a few surprising dunks in his career. and meyer was reputed to being pound for pound the strongest billiken on his team. again, if you compare their final season to last season of all our inside guys not named conklin or evans, i would take sloan and meyer. now that said, i expect loe to make huge strides same with ellis and by the time they both graduate, i will be surprised if i am not putting both ahead of sloan and meyer. but the question was whether either could have made the billiken team last year. and i contend both would have been among the first subs in the game.

sloan was not "athletically challenged at all. he could run and jump very well. meyer also wasnt as challenged as you insinuate. had a few surprising dunks in his career. and meyer was reputed to being pound for pound the strongest billiken on his team. again, if you compare their final season to last season of all our inside guys not named conklin or evans, i would take sloan and meyer. now that said, i expect loe to make huge strides same with ellis and by the time they both graduate, i will be surprised if i am not putting both ahead of sloan and meyer. but the question was whether either could have made the billiken team last year. and i contend both would have been among the first subs in the game.

I'm with roy on this one. Neither of those guys took any backsass.

Sloan and Meyer are good athletes, but Majerus's last two small forward recruits--Evans and Drew--are on a whole different athletic level. The same can be said for Jordair, who also plays the three a lot.

Sloan and meyer made their main contribution to the billikens as power forwards. Plus i agree potentialwise most of the billikens current should indeed surpass meyer sloan senior season, but they havent yet

Sloan was no slouch but to say that Evans has not surpassed him is not true - Evans is a far more complete player than Sloan ever was. Evans is a better rebounder and scorer - maybe not an outside shooter yet but overall he does a good job. Sloan was steady but did not have the explosiveness that Evans has. Time will tell about Drew and until he proves it on the court I will hold my comments about him. Meyers was a solid player but I would have to agree that RM would not have probably offered him - RM has probably passed on others locally like Meyers since he has been here. Whether Sloan or Meyers would have been super subs or not is really not the question that was asked - both had a high bb IQ and would probably have adapted to RM's style so as subs who knows I would not argue either way.

Sloan and Meyer were originally brought up in comparison to Conklin. The fact that nobody believes either could have started or been a major contributor on last year's team, supports that Conklin was a far superior player and should never be compared to those two. Majerus got a lot out of Meyer his senior year, but he still averaged 8.4 ppg. He was the third best player on a team that didn't make the postseason and he would have gotten fewer minutes on a team that had any kind of depth. Contrast that to Conklin, who was the best player and 1st team All-conference player on an NCAA Tourney team. The comparison is not even close.

So then the discussion shifted to what role Meyer and Sloan would have had on last year's team. Nobody is saying they would have been starters. Opinions range from 8 or 9th man to not even on the team,

Some times people will take shots at Barnett and that frustrate me. I view Meyer and Sloan as being much closer to Barnett than Conklin. I don't think some people have fully grasped how much the talent and especially depth in the program has improved. The more I think about, a strong case could be made that Barnett is superior to Sloan and Meyer. Does anybody believe that Meyer and Sloan could have made the all-freshman team in the Mid American Conference like Barnett did? I don't. Barnett's Billiken career is still incomplete and Meyer and Sloan deserve credit for showing improvement throughout their career, but it just seems unfair that some look down on Barnett, while the accomplishments of Sloan and Meyer are held in such high regard.

I understand why people group Luke and Sloan together, but IMO Sloan is a far superior player.

While their numbers are similar, Sloan was doing it against superior competition in CUSA and Luke was doing it in some down years for the A10.

I would entertain a Conk v. Sloan comp, but Luke is more of a poor mans Cody Ellis with a hint of Conks attitude in there.

But I don't doubt both guys would play under RM. Probably not to the level that they did, but who knows how they would have progressed from day 1 under Rick.

Luke Meyer is a superstar anywhere...pure glue guy. The Charlotte Bobcats are really a Luke Meyer away from being a playoff team.

My original post was that both would have played under RM. He likes smart players who will do whatever it takes to win. I never compared them to Conk other than their BB IQ. The other point was both played out of the positions they were recruited for. If I'm correct CS was a lights out shooter in some AAU tourneys, but had to man the 4 here. And in HS LM was a shooter as well, although his sr year I guess he did get some post play out of necessity. I think both would have been in the 7-8 range for the 3 position.