Butler to start A-10 Play in 12-13?

This looks to be true. Butler would have had to miss the Horizon tournament next year if they stayed. This is going to be one hell of a conference next year, hopefully we can get 5 teams in the tournament

They would not be able to do that this year unless they go to 18 conference games. we will probably play Butler twice and everyone else once.

They may look to go to divisions with this many teams. This is a great problem to have

Dear Butler Community,

We are pleased to announce that Butler University will join the Atlantic 10 Conference (A-10) in fall 2012, a year ahead of schedule.

Fall competition will include men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball and men’s and women’s cross country; winter competition will include men’s and women’s basketball, women’s swimming, and men’s and women’s indoor track and field; and spring competition will include baseball, softball, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s golf, and men’s and women’s outdoor track and field. Women’s golf will also compete in the spring but not in the A-10 since it does not host women’s golf. Schedules for these teams will begin being posted online at www.butlersports.com this summer.

Butler had planned to leave the Horizon League after 2012-2013 to join the A-10, but an accelerated timetable was made possible by both leagues.

The A-10 will compete as a 16-team league in 2012-2013. In addition to Butler, the league includes first-year member VCU, Charlotte, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, La Salle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis, Temple and Xavier.

Barry Collier

Vice President and Director of Athletics

They would not be able to do that this year unless they go to 18 conference games. we will probably play Butler twice and everyone else once.

I hope they do expand to an 18 game schedule for 2012-13. I would think most of the schools would be in favor of it. Temple would be against it but that's all the more reason to do it.

Definitely good news but as outlined in Barry Collier's e-mail we'll only be playing a 16 game schedule. That means only 1 home and home opponent.

Assuming its Butler, its as if we traded an extra game with each of Dayton and Xavier for two with Butler.

Definitely good news but as outlined in Barry Collier's e-mail we'll only be playing a 16 game schedule. That means only 1 home and home opponent.

Assuming its Butler, its as if we traded an extra game with each of Dayton and Xavier for two with Butler.

Not necessarily. Could also do divisions, which, obviously, would be greatly beneficial to SLU's schedule.

-this will make for some interesting scheduling

-kshoe, where does it indicate a 16 game schedule? it says 16 team league

-does the team bus to and from this game? depending on what is before and after, perhaps?

-this will make for some interesting scheduling

-kshoe, where does it indicate a 16 game schedule? it says 16 team league

-does the team bus to and from this game? depending on what is before and after, perhaps?

You are right. I misread it.

According to this article it will be a 16 game season with only one 2 time opponent.

http://www.indystar....0605/120529032/

If they do that we could get Butler as our home and home since X and Dayton will likely be paired up. It would be great to build a rivalry with BU and Indianapolis to STL is a fairly easy trip.

I'm guesssing something like this

Butler and Saint Louis

Dayton and Xavier

Duquesne and St. Bonaventure

UMass and Rhode Island

Fordham and La Salle

Saint Joseph's and Temple

Richmond and VCU

Charlotte and George Washington

Agree with you STLfan, with the travel partners for this year.

Will also be interesting (for Butler fans) to see what happens with the Xavier game since it's on the ESPN hoops marathon and was already on the TV schedule. I know most Xavier fans are hoping that it counts as a conference game, but I'm hoping for it to be one of those rare instances in which they allow it to not count as a conference games (I remember IU and Purdue having that happen a few years back) and then get them back at home for the conference game later on in the year. Would also help cut down on the amount of additional games that both teams would have to reschedule this year. Either way, it's exciting stuff for us, the conference is going to be crazy good this year, and can't wait for the season to begin!

The easier choice for the A10 conference would be to have Butler play X twice and then for us to play UD twice. One of those games could be the already scheduled TV game between Butler and X. I'd certainly be OK with that.

The easier choice for the A10 conference would be to have Butler play X twice and then for us to play UD twice. One of those games could be the already scheduled TV game between Butler and X. I'd certainly be OK with that.