Malcolm Briggs is outa there

bonwich

Weird gig, TV sports. I have to admit to disliking most everyone who does it, because the shtik has supplanted any semblance of journalism, at least from what I know of local sports reporters. Malcolm, who's a sweetheart in person, really grated on me professionally, so I'm not sad to see him go, but I'm not sure anyone new will be any better (or worse).

The new guy on Channel 5 needs some help.....I think he has so little knowledge of this market. Hearing him do the sports is so painful, he makes alot of mistakes and has a plodding style of delivery. He was especially worthless doing the women's marathon trial telecast. Some people on here may not like Mike Bush or Frank C., but at least they can pronounce names right and they are polished performers on-air. Rene seems like a cardboard cut-out next to those guys.

Briggs is bad, Knott is worse. Steve Savard is now the best and quite possible only watchable sports broadcast in town. The thing with Malcolm that got on me is this. If any of you have ever been around any sporting events and been behind the scenes, Briggs is the biggest ghetto thug talkin' guy there is when he portrays himself quite different on the air. His constant "What's up dawg" and other mindless sayings at Rams park around his "homeboys" is enough to make even his mom want to shove a cold steel spike through her head. KSDK has made it clear however that with the hiring of Knott, that they now care very little about the sports broadcasts and would rather have a mindless person read cards, and badly at that.

i agree with box, renee knott is unbearable. i dont know how muc longer i can bear watching channel 5. i watch because of frank and i have a good friend that works for channel 5 as a photographer, but renee is just horrible.

i also have a hard time believing mike bush as an anchor. he was the sportsguy for so long, i just cant change my mindset on that. and my gosh, karen foss. give it up karen. i was thinking you were over-the-hill in 1982 when i was a senior at slu!

frank and joe, loyalty can only go so long. get some help!

23 if you must know, and I don't have a problem with it at all. What I do have a problem with is him trying to be someone he's not and trying to be all buddy buddy with all of the athletes around town and when he finally does go away, they laugh at him. It's like he is in his own little world and he is having fun in it. Thats fine but he needs to wake up and realize that no one else really even likes his act, so he should stop trying so hard.

I'm sure your family are quite wonderful people. My point is this as stated above. I have a problem with his act that he puts on. Anyone who has seen it knows it is about as fake as Ricky Clemmons college credits. That is all, I can't stand people trying to be someone else when it clearly doesn't work for them.

Is it just me or does Knott seem to have absolutely zero personality when he is reading the sports lineup for the day? Seriously, the first time that I saw him give a broadcast, I thought he was sick or something and just wasn't feeling good, but then I watched another and he is just plain bad. Can't really see what KSDK was thinking with this one. Hope they enjoy sending business down the street to KMOV.

what i just cant understand is what the hell were the powers thinking in taking renee over frank? are they nuts? is frank caught in some kind of power play or something? does renee have naked pictures of someone? did a channel 5 exec get food poisoning at a fine dining establishment downtown? it just makes no sense.

The way I remember it going down was that Knott was supposedly more experienced in the Head Sports anchor position from his time in DC and also that the pressure to hire him might have come from the higher ups at NBC themselves. Now, I don't know how they like their sports over there in the capital but if he was this bad there, then how did he ever fall under the good graces of ANYONE? From listening to Frank's show on KFNS in the mornings, I kinda gathered that he wasn't real real upset about not getting the job, b/c with what he has now it would allow him to continue to be a little more diverse and do other projects and see his kids a little more. Supposedly the head anchor job would have allowed a lot less time to do such things and I think that Frank would have really missed his radio gig.

that could be and perhaps he is just saying that to deflect some of the disappointment from not getting the job. However, as much as I think that I don't really care for him personally, I do love the coverage of the Bills that he tends to bring out. As far as sportscasts on TV however, KMOV should now be the logical choice if anyone is looking for quality night in and night out.

I agree that Rene Knott is quite bad. About a month ago when I was listening to Midday Mayhem on 1380, someone called in and complained to hosts Brian McKenna and Joe Deniro about how bad Knott was on KSDK. Deniro responded that KSDK doesn't put his real name at the bottom of the screen, which is Rene Knottsogood. :)

i cant think of a single person in the st louis market that works as hard at covering sports as frank. that coupled with his obvious favor for the billikens, should make him everyone's favorite. i cant see how anyone would like anyone else more.

we gotta adopt that. Knotsogood. i like that almost as much as our now universally used $pumac and the use of a $ instead of an s in anything to do with mi$$ouri or $nyder.