SL Post Today: Sickening

MB73

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly, this is only too complicated for you to understand. There is precisely one MU tourney story on the top of the front page. You see a ton of Mizzou because the Haith story has been there since 12:40 a.m.

Give up, Joe, cause you're never going to win. Paranoia rules!

Clearly, this is only too complicated for you to understand. There is precisely one MU tourney story on the top of the front page. You see a ton of Mizzou because the Haith story has been there since 12:40 a.m.

Joe, with all due respect, the lead story at the top of the landing page of stltoday.com is Mizzou being #2 seed -- as it should be. However, there is no story link to the SLU news among the top dozen or so links at the top of the landing page. That is odd. As impartial as I can be, the SLU news is more newsworthy (over the last 2 or 3 hours) than virtually every other "top of page" link, most of which are old links -- nearly 24 hours old. Last night's Blues score is judged more newsworthy, for God's sake!

Someone found the Mizzou story important enough to make it the #1 news story and put it at top of the front page. That same someone made decision that the SLU story merited only "sports" section mention (both on main landing page WAY down at bottom) and of course on the Sports section landing page. Bad decision.

This is "Selection Sunday" -- a major day in the field of sports. Leaving SLU off the top of the front page by their hometown newspaper in the immediate hours after their first NCAA selection in 12 years is either a strange judgement call, strangely absent-minded for a top news organization -- or a willful burying of the news. Perhaps a bit of all three.

Am I whining? Of course. But there is a reason why the PD gets the rep they do with many on this Board. Am I glad the story got near the top coverage in the Sports Section? Of course.

Maybe I'm missing something and would sure love to know what it is.

Joe, with all due respect, the lead story at the top of the landing page of stltoday.com is Mizzou being #2 seed -- as it should be. However, there is no story link to the SLU news among the top dozen or so links at the top of the landing page. That is odd. As impartial as I can be, the SLU news is more newsworthy (over the last 2 or 3 hours) than virtually every other "top of page" link, most of which are old links -- nearly 24 hours old. Last night's Blues score is judged more newsworthy, for God's sake!

Someone found the Mizzou story important enough to make it the #1 news story and put it at top of the front page. That same someone made decision that the SLU story merited only "sports" section mention (both on main landing page WAY down at bottom) and of course on the Sports section landing page. Bad decision.

This is "Selection Sunday" -- a major day in the field of sports. Leaving SLU off the top of the front page by their hometown newspaper in the immediate hours after their first NCAA selection in 12 years is either a strange judgement call, strangely absent-minded for a top news organization -- or a willful burying of the news. Perhaps a bit of all three.

Am I whining? Of course. But there is a reason why the PD gets the rep they do with many on this Board. Am I glad the story got near the top coverage in the Sports Section? Of course.

Maybe I'm missing something and would sure love to know what it is.

Bingo.

The St. Louis Business Journal, coincidentally, has the top 25 alumni associations in this week's edition. Check it out. SLU has about 60,000 local alumni. Mizzou is not even close. UMSL exceeds SLU, but Mizzou does not exceed SLU.

I get what Joe is saying. My point is that it would just be nice to see the LOCAL paper have more PASSION about the LOCAL team (yes, I know about BM's interviews of RM and Burwell's articles and they're all great). That is all I am saying. Period.

The St. Louis Business Journal, coincidentally, has the top 25 alumni associations in this week's edition. Check it out. SLU has about 60,000 local alumni. Mizzou is not even close. UMSL exceeds SLU, but Mizzou does not exceed SLU.

I get what Joe is saying. My point is that it would just be nice to see the LOCAL paper have more PASSION about the LOCAL team (yes, I know about BM's interviews of RM and Burwell's articles and they're all great). That is all I am saying. Period.

That's not a newspapers job.

That's not a newspapers job.

I disagree. If you own a business, there is nothing wrong with being passionate about other local businesses. That is, in and of itself, often good for business. The Post has a lot of critics (I'm sure most newspapers do). On-line space is relatively cheap. It would seem to make sense to take advantage of a rising "business" and do more to be perceived as on board. Could win over critics and help business. But, hey, what do I know - only been running businesses for 20+ years.

Now, that said, I will be the first to say that the Post HAS been much more friendly to and supportive of the Bills than in the recent past. Surely attributable to our success and a good business decision for them. Props where deserved. Just wish it was more consistent.

You are amazing, you are quite the analyst, on staff at BJC Department of Psychiatry? Or head of the department?

1) Its been 40+ yrs.. yes a few with Spoon we got SOME ink.

2) As usual, you never answered, did you see the actual edition I am referring to?

I did see the edition. Once again, you are making a big deal about the paper giving more ink to Mizzou than SLU on a day after Mizzou had played and won and SLU hadn't played. SLU also hadn't played since the previous Saturday. There are times to complain about Mizzou getting dis-proportionate coverage in relation to SLU with the P-D. However, that edition was not one of those times. And it definitely did not deserve you starting a whole new thread about how the P-D is slighting SLU. Because, if there was one thing this board really needed, it was yet another 'The Post hates SLU' thread. I mean, there might be new members of the board who need that message hammered into their heads.

I disagree. If you own a business, there is nothing wrong with being passionate about other local businesses. That is, in and of itself, often good for business. The Post has a lot of critics (I'm sure most newspapers do). On-line space is relatively cheap. It would seem to make sense to take advantage of a rising "business" and do more to be perceived as on board. Could win over critics and help business. But, hey, what do I know - only been running businesses for 20+ years.

Now, that said, I will be the first to say that the Post HAS been much more friendly to and supportive of the Bills than in the recent past. Surely attributable to our success and a good business decision for them. Props where deserved. Just wish it was more consistent.

You have newspapers confused with PR firms. Two different things but since you've run businesses for over 20 years I'm sure you knew that.

I did see the edition. Once again, you are making a big deal about the paper giving more ink to Mizzou than SLU on a day after Mizzou had played and won and SLU hadn't played. SLU also hadn't played since the previous Saturday. There are times to complain about Mizzou getting dis-proportionate coverage in relation to SLU with the P-D. However, that edition was not one of those times. And it definitely did not deserve you starting a whole new thread about how the P-D is slighting SLU. Because, if there was one thing this board really needed, it was yet another 'The Post hates SLU' thread. I mean, there might be new members of the board who need that message hammered into their heads.

Hey, other posters have often cited the SL Post as stiffing us, on this thread, and others. King broy. But you jump all over me with insults. Creepy.

It is a fact, The SL Post has screwed us for decades. You are wrong, Why don't you oppose the others on this board that share my position? Just me. It is not a new issue. Get out of your basement, talk to former players, some alumni with brains, they mostly agree, have seen it forever. Coffee chat, between halves at the games, everyone talks about it. It as obvious as your disorder.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

Hey, other posters have often cited the SL Post as stiffing us, on this thread, and others. King broy. But you jump all over me with insults. Creepy.

It is a fact, The SL Post has screwed us for decades. You are wrong, Why don't you oppose the others on this board that share my position? Just me. It is not a new issue. Get out of your basement, talk to former players, some alumni with brains, they mostly agree, have seen it forever. Coffee chat, between halves at the games, everyone talks about it. It as obvious as your disorder.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

Who are all the Mizzou alums on the Post Sports Staff(other than Gordon) that you always refer to?

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

Let's just win this little tournament we're in. We'll get a lot of ink that way.

MB is still pissed about a lack of coverage in the Ekker years.

Ekker years? Yep.

A pitcher on the SLU baseball team shut out Wichita State.

It was called in to The Post, details, box score, everything. The next day, middle of the week, SL Post did a full three page spread on the Mizzou-Mizzou spring football practices, pictures of all the players.

No mention of the baseball game that day, or ever.

Who are all the Mizzou alums on the Post Sports Staff(other than Gordon) that you always refer to?

That factor is still there but has diminished, now it is more about the influence of big time BCS leagues, football, The Big 12 with Texas, Oklahoma, big time BCS TV access, KU basketball, big MU banquets with famous guest stars, feeding the writers fat bellies in the sky boxes with primo delicacies.

We cant compete.

Hot dogs, no football, The A-10, Fordham, RI, etc.

That factor is still there but has diminished, now it is more about the influence of big time BCS football: The Big 12 with Texas, Oklahoma, BCS TV access, KU basketball, big MU banquets with famous guest stars, feeding the writers fat bellies in the sky boxes with primo delicacies.

We cant compete.

Hot dogs, no football, The A-10, Fordham, RI, etc.

So your full of ######. Got it.

MB is very good at not backing up his arguments with actual support.

Piling on with your bud, as usual.

So you made good friends with jbizzle when you were in town for X. He wrote an entire post about what a great guy you are. Uh, an unusual post.

(you, too, why don't you attack broy and all the others that cite Mizzou favoritism over the decades?)

Piling on with your bud, as usual.

So you made good friends with jbizzle when you were in town for X. He wrote an entire post about what a great guy you are. Uh, an unusual post.

(you, too, why don't you attack broy and all the others that cite Mizzou favoritism over the decades?)

There is a difference between pointing out favortism at the Post and thinking everything there is a communist conspiracy to keep SLU in their place.

You have newspapers confused with PR firms. Two different things but since you've run businesses for over 20 years I'm sure you knew that.

You are neither funny nor clever.