SLU a lock?

I believe Lunardi pointed out some time ago that we needed to be above the top A-10 separation point, which is where we are. Temple and SLU are in, regardless of who wins the tourney and how they do it. Of course we should seal the deal by smashing LaSalle and anyone else we face.

(Edit: This reasoning works because there are only two teams at the top, and there is nothing new about the A-10 getting three dancers)

Edited by Prairie Bill

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also we're listed on 99 of 99 brackets on the bracket matrix. I don't think one loss to a top 85 La Salle team would move us out of the tournament.

There is no way we miss the tournament unless a bunch of bubble or crappy BCS teams win their conf. tournaments. I know we have no control over it, but I agree with Bay Area that we should root against teams like Northwesterns, Illinois, NC State, Miami, Texas, Tennesee. At the very least it'll give me a rooting interest when watching these conference tournaments.

I thought SLU was an absolute lock after we beat Xavier, however now I'm not so sure...

Currently we are 6-4 vs the RPI Top 100...St. Bonaventure is 97th...IF they lose to St. Joes, and we lose to LaSalle we will be 5-5 vs the Top 100...

For comparison's sake, Iona is 5-3, Middle Tennessee is 3-3, Oral Roberts is 3-3, and Drexel is 4-3...not to mention the fact that Seton Hall is 7-8 and Oregon is 5-7...

I have become very nervous over the last few days. I still think we are in, but I don't want to test the Committee...

If we don't win the conference tournament, we'll probably be the last team announced on Selection Sunday. Making us sweat it out seems like the typical thing to happen to a Billiken fan.

Yep...I'm sure we'll be in that last 7-10 game (second to last matchup announced)...I will be shitting bricks...

The problem is that new morsels are seemingly getting invented and then leaked. This new concern for regular season conference champs that didn't win their post-season tournaments was something started by the new NIT some years ago. Has it now migrated into the NCAA? Without knowing for sure, I doubt it is an overwhelming factor, but it is relevant in the cases of Iona and Drexel. But so are their RPI's (43 and 65) vis-a-vis SLU's RPI of 30.

I still think the best barometer, despite what some of these pundits are saying, based upon historical precedent, is still the RPI. I have found there are usually only about 3 variances per season between the RPI and the actual NCAA at large field. If that is going to suddenly change, then that should have been disclosed a long time ago.

These pundits, some of whom are East Coast based, seem to have certain teams for which they are lobbying, and/or BCS biases. There are only 37 at large bids, so when someone they want in is on the outside, they look for subtractions. One of the flavors of the week in that regard seems to be SLU. Why? Because they found some statistic (lack of Top 50 wins) to latch onto.

But in SLU's case, SLU still controls its own destiny. Our SLU team can win the A10 Tournament, and certainly can beat La Salle in the quarterfinals on Friday. Just win, and the pundits' proclamations and searches for NCAA at large subtractions become moot and totally irrelevant.

This Top 50 "criterion" is an ad hoc gremlin.

In SLU's case, it is not a case of not trying to play tough games; rather it is a case of teams that were expected to be much better not having good enough seasons.

What is particularly disturbing is how this stat is latched onto by some pundits, like strict liability in SLU's case, as if it is the "Ah hah, gotcha" stat.

I'm reminded of the late Gilda Radner's Roseanne Roseannadanna: "It's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another. it's always something."

But keep the faith. Tea leaves read that SLU is in; the RPI puts SLU in.

Win in Atlantic City, and these naysaying pundits run out of all their ammunition.

These pundits, some of whom are East Coast based, seem to have certain teams for which they are lobbying, and/or BCS biases. There are only 37 at large bids, so when someone they want in is on the outside, they look for subtractions. One of the flavors of the week in that regard seems to be SLU. Why? Because they found some statistic (lack of Top 50 wins) to latch onto.

But in SLU's case, SLU still controls its own destiny. Our SLU team can win the A10 Tournament, and certainly can beat La Salle in the quarterfinals on Friday. Just win, and the pundits' proclamations and searches for NCAA at large subtractions become moot and totally irrelevant.

Therein lies the myth, Bay Area, there are really only about 15 at large bids. The other 22 are reserved for BCS runners up and their .500 teams. Heck, Lunardi had 28 BCS also rans making it, which would leave 11 spots open. The worst thing that could have happened to us today was CT winning over WVU. WVU's probably in regardless of the loss, but CT was on the bubble big time. They pull off another W in the Beast tourney, we're suddenly gonna find ourselves go from lock to bubble team. We MUST beat La Salle and keep our fingers crossed there are no major upsets in the BCS conferences. After beating X and closing out at DU with strong W's I thought, OMG, we're gonna make it. Tonight, I'm not so sure. I think that loss to RI is going be a major red flag, ie "Cripes they couldn't beat a sucky RI team?". We have to beat La Salle. No ifs ands or buts about it. I think a W over La Salle seals it for us, but even then who knows with the committee really thinks. I know the pundits are raising all these various possibilities to create and stir up interest (some would call it BS), but as we've all seen in it in the past, some teams just get outright screwed. And can't you imagine the outrage and the chest beating on this board if we don't make it? Someone's gonna have to go to Denver and stand watch over Jimbo.

I failed to mention in the bracket Lunardi has us in, if we win, and Missouri wins, we would play them. If this were to occur ALL Billiken fans would have to go to the game, give up their jobs and families--we would have to be the loudest crowd EVER

We don't beat La Salle, maybe we don't deserve to be in, huh?

There is no reason to lose to La Salle --------------------we are bigger than them, we have a deeper bench then them, we have a coach and they do not, we play a system and they do not, and we beat them at their place handily.

There is no reason to lose to La Salle --------------------we are bigger than them, we have a deeper bench then them, we have a coach and they do not, we play a system and they do not, and we beat them at their place handily.

-it would be another bad mark on the report card, let's not have that

Down goes Seton Hall to Louisville- Good News indeed! Those teams both looked awful down the stretch. SLU is better than both of them. We know Louisville is in, but Seton Hall is a Big East also-ran.

SLU's ratings:

Pomeroy 12

ESPN BPI 14

Sagarin 17

RPI 30

The A10 is the 7th strongest conference in both RPI and Sagarin. SLU is the 2nd Place team in the A10.

Frankly, SLU has to be in. But let's beat La Salle, and take it from there, so we don't have to sweat it out any further.

These pundits trying to stick SLU on some fictitious bubble shows utter hypocrisy. We are not playing on a level playing field. SLU has easily qualified for the NCAA, using the BCS' own self-perpetuating tool, the RPI itself.

As usual, the emperors have no clothes.

All you guys need to put on diapers b/c you are wetting the bed! WE ARE IN. Even if we lose to LaSalle (which we have about a 10% chance of doing), we are not going to get left out. We will end with a sub 40 RPI, 12-4, 2nd place in the 6/7th best conference. We are not even on the bubble. Teams like Wash, NW, X, Texas, IL, UCONN will all get left out before they get to us. Go have a beer.

After reading the posts from all the doom-and-gloomers on this thread, my knee jerk reaction, naturally, was to head for the liquor store. As I was driving there, I texted my sponsor, and he reminded me that I controlled my own destiny... He's right.

So, Bay Area Billiken, and others. I, for one, am rooting for Northwestern AND NC State to make the Big Dance. Not just because I like them, but because The Saint Loius University Billikens are in...for sure...it's a lock! In fact, friday is payday. I'm so confident in an NCAA bid for the Bills that I will put the entire lump sum (minus child support and IRS garnishment) on the Billikens makingt the Big Dance...and I'll make the bet prior to the LaSalle game. Any takers?

For the first time in about 20 years, the Billikens are in charge of their own destiny, and that's the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future. So get used to it.

And, by the way, we're going to kick LaSalle's ass! plus, there's no reason why we don't win the A-10 tournament. Temple has faltered lately. i believe that 2 of their last 4 games went to OT, and they also lost one.

We're in. That's the reason I'm not going to the A-10 tournament. But, I'll hope for a Greensboro 1st (2nd) round, and buy the plane ticket for anywhere else.

This.

I think we're in either way, but if we can't beat La Salle, we won't beat our first round opponent in the NCAA tourney.

Just like we lost to RI and then turned around and destroyed X and Duq?! There's no logic in your post For-DaLove.

There's not? The RI game was an obvious trap game. We were caught looking ahead, and as a result lost by a slight margin. The game on Friday is not a trap game. It is the biggest game of our season so far, and the players realize this. I think we win by 15, BUT if for whatever reason we lose, I see no reason to think that we will have any better luck against an NCAA tourney team. This is not a bad match-up for us, we should win.

There's not? The RI game was an obvious trap game. We were caught looking ahead, and as a result lost by a slight margin. The game on Friday is not a trap game. It is the biggest game of our season so far, and the players realize this. I think we win by 15, BUT if for whatever reason we lose, I see no reason to think that we will have any better luck against an NCAA tourney team. This is not a bad match-up for us, we should win.

I tend to think every one of the last 8 games have been the biggest game of the season. I doubt we took RI lightly. If CE hits just 1 of his has three 3-pointer attemps, RI is a win. We didn't finish that game great, but I think we took them seriously. I agree with you that we crush LaSalle. I think the team has that killer instinct right now...quite possibly playing our best basketball of the season. IMO, the Mike McCall insertion in the starting line-up combined with the fact that he is on the court nearly the entire game has turned us from a very good team to a great team.

After reading the posts from all the doom-and-gloomers on this thread, my knee jerk reaction, naturally, was to head for the liquor store. As I was driving there, I texted my sponsor, and he reminded me that I controlled my own destiny... He's right.

So, Bay Area Billiken, and others. I, for one, am rooting for Northwestern AND NC State to make the Big Dance. Not just because I like them, but because The Saint Loius University Billikens are in...for sure...it's a lock! In fact, friday is payday. I'm so confident in an NCAA bid for the Bills that I will put the entire lump sum (minus child support and IRS garnishment) on the Billikens makingt the Big Dance...and I'll make the bet prior to the LaSalle game. Any takers?

For the first time in about 20 years, the Billikens are in charge of their own destiny, and that's the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future. So get used to it.

And, by the way, we're going to kick LaSalle's ass! plus, there's no reason why we don't win the A-10 tournament. Temple has faltered lately. i believe that 2 of their last 4 games went to OT, and they also lost one.

We're in. That's the reason I'm not going to the A-10 tournament. But, I'll hope for a Greensboro 1st (2nd) round, and buy the plane ticket for anywhere else.

As I said at the beginning, I think SLU is in.

And I still think SLU is in as I type this.

I don't understand why any Big East win is a big win? They is so much parity, that they end up beating each other. We have seen how overated the Big East is in the tournament overall. I understand UCONN won it all last season, but the Big East flopped otherwise. BTW, SLU has a Big East win.

I tend to think every one of the last 8 games have been the biggest game of the season. I doubt we took RI lightly. If CE hits just 1 of his has three 3-pointer attemps, RI is a win. We didn't finish that game great, but I think we took them seriously. I agree with you that we crush LaSalle. I think the team has that killer instinct right now...quite possibly playing our best basketball of the season. IMO, the Mike McCall insertion in the starting line-up combined with the fact that he is on the court nearly the entire game has turned us from a very good team to a great team.

We will see how they perform once they get out of the familiar A-10 territory and face some non-conference top 50 teams in a high pressure environment