Spoon has passed away

bonwich

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is on campus/close to campus, my co-workers and I are going to plant some spoons in the quad, around 12 or 12:30. We got approval from grounds keeping, as well.

I am one of his co-workers, and I just acquired approximately 750 plastic spoons.

... I may have just acquired approximately 300 more plastic spoons...

If anyone is on campus/close to campus, my co-workers and I are going to plant some spoons in the quad, around 12 or 12:30. We got approval from grounds keeping, as well.

If you could, would you mind taking some pics? Seeing the campus "Spooned" was one of my favorite memories from my undergrad days. You knew there was a big game that day when you'd see the quad covered with spoons.

As with any era of Saint Louis University basketball, there are pros and cons. Grawer is to be revered, but he was understandably burnt out when Yow fired him and brought in Spoon. I never expected that, much like I never expected the Majerus move to happen either. I have an issue that Spoon actually won, at first, with Grawer's recruits (Clagg & Hmark) but he did add to that with key parts like Dobbs, Turner, Robinson and the never-seen-again HWaldman. Near the end, I thought he got pretty lazy or at least disinterested with it all once Hughes left early. I credit Thomas with bringing Hughes in, coupled with the little brother situation, and not so much Spoon. He loved his Cardinals though and coming from SpringfieldNowhere USA, I though tthat was enough to keep Spoon motivated here. I believe he too burned out from the politics that is major college sports at a private, jesuit institution like ours (unlike others out there) and moved on. In the grand scheme of things Grawer is #1; Spoon #2. If I were naming a court, I don't think you can name it for Charlie and I wouldn't name it for Rich. Rightfully, it might have to be "Easy" Ed McCauley Court. But our illustrious president does not see things through such glasses; we can't even get a statue put up.

Spoon story: only have one. Birmingham. CUSA tournamnet. I think it was Spoon's last year. We stayed at the same hotel as the Bills and were going to the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet one moring when lo and behold, Spoon is sitting at a table all by himself. Didn't see the team. Point out that Spoon's alone and we (my two traveling accomplices) that we should go join him. They say nooooo, he's too important or too busy ot too whatever. So I went over myself, said hello, asked if he wanted company, told him I was an alum, and was entertained for the next hour or so. The fraidy cats joined me as well. Nice, home spun stories and humor. Nothing individuall m emorable just nice. I think when that tournament was over, he went back to St. Louis and resigned. THAT was not our fault.

Avery nice guy who is on the A list of folks I'd associate with this propgram. Bets wishes, Charlie. And thanks.

If you could, would you mind taking some pics? Seeing the campus "Spooned" was one of my favorite memories from my undergrad days. You knew there was a big game that day when you'd see the quad covered with spoons.

Agreed, I would love to see this.

As with any era of Saint Louis University basketball, there are pros and cons. Grawer is to be revered, but he was understandably burnt out when Yow fired him and brought in Spoon. I never expected that, much like I never expected the Majerus move to happen either. I have an issue that Spoon actually won, at first, with Grawer's recruits (Clagg & Hmark) but he did add to that with key parts like Dobbs, Turner, Robinson and the never-seen-again HWaldman. Near the end, I thought he got pretty lazy or at least disinterested with it all once Hughes left early. I credit Thomas with bringing Hughes in, coupled with the little brother situation, and not so much Spoon.

At the same time, Romar's "Miracle in Memphis" team was led by Spoon recruits - Love, Perry, Fergerson, Jeffers, Baniak, Tatum, Heinrich, et al.

I just hope people realize what Spoon did for SLU hoops in his time here. The best way to relate it is, in 94 I went to Cincy to see the Bills take on Cincy in the CUSA tourney. we lost, but on the way out I ran into some older folks who were all wearing Spoonball gear. I asked if they were alums and they weren't. They just loved Charlie Spoonhour. The point being, Spoon's reach exceeded just the SLU community. He touched all of St. Louis. A lot of those fans in the 17,000 avg attendance days of Savvis, were delivered compliments of Spoon and had little or nothing to do with SLU. He truly was the author of "your town, your team". I think a lot also had to do with his love of the Cardinals and how he'd talk about them on his KMOX show, that and his good old boy down home humor. Losing Spoon by not supporting him enough, should go down as one of Biondi's biggest mistakes as SLU's head man. Had he kept him happy, I'm convinced SLU hoops today would have been a major player on the national scene. We've always wanted to be like a Marquette and Zaga, well, we lost the man who could've done it over an ice cream cone on his expense account. RIP Spoon, you bought a lot of joy to long suffering Billiken fans.

As with any era of Saint Louis University basketball, there are pros and cons. Grawer is to be revered, but he was understandably burnt out when Yow fired him and brought in Spoon. I never expected that, much like I never expected the Majerus move to happen either. I have an issue that Spoon actually won, at first, with Grawer's recruits (Clagg & Hmark) but he did add to that with key parts like Dobbs, Turner, Robinson and the never-seen-again HWaldman. Near the end, I thought he got pretty lazy or at least disinterested with it all once Hughes left early. I credit Thomas with bringing Hughes in, coupled with the little brother situation, and not so much Spoon. He loved his Cardinals though and coming from SpringfieldNowhere USA, I though tthat was enough to keep Spoon motivated here. I believe he too burned out from the politics that is major college sports at a private, jesuit institution like ours (unlike others out there) and moved on. In the grand scheme of things Grawer is #1; Spoon #2. If I were naming a court, I don't think you can name it for Charlie and I wouldn't name it for Rich. Rightfully, it might have to be "Easy" Ed McCauley Court. But our illustrious president does not see things through such glasses; we can't even get a statue put up.

Spoon story: only have one. Birmingham. CUSA tournamnet. I think it was Spoon's last year. We stayed at the same hotel as the Bills and were going to the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet one moring when lo and behold, Spoon is sitting at a table all by himself. Didn't see the team. Point out that Spoon's alone and we (my two traveling accomplices) that we should go join him. They say nooooo, he's too important or too busy ot too whatever. So I went over myself, said hello, asked if he wanted company, told him I was an alum, and was entertained for the next hour or so. The fraidy cats joined me as well. Nice, home spun stories and humor. Nothing individuall m emorable just nice. I think when that tournament was over, he went back to St. Louis and resigned. THAT was not our fault.

Avery nice guy who is on the A list of folks I'd associate with this propgram. Bets wishes, Charlie. And thanks.

No one is perfect but the pros beat out the cons on this one.

In 7 years, 3 NCAA appearances and 1 NIT. Average attendance in the 16,000+ range. Mega attendance game with Illinois.

I be very happy with that today.

I believe our dear president didn't recognize a good think and, in a back handed way, ran him off. The day Hughes announced he was moving on, we should announced the building of the on-campus arena.

Since he left, it really has not been the same.

I saw Charlie at Balabans one night having dinner with his wife. This was not long before he "retired". When they finished up, I went over an introduced myself and told him how much I enjoyed the Billikens.

About 3 weeks later, I saw him in a completlety different setting and said hi. He answered and addressed me by name!!! Blew me away he could remember my name.

Charlie was a great guy and a great coach. I first met him when Grawer was running a coaching clinic when he was coaching at SLU. Spoon was one of his guest coaches. I learned more from Spoon that day than all of the other coaches put together. He was hysterically funny but his X's abd O's were the best.

The oddest thing of all is that Spoon later replaced Grawer. Charlie, forever a Cardinal fan, we will miss your entertaining style. God be with You.

i have two happy spoon stories. the first involves my son who at the time was maybe 7 right during the breaking of the claggett, highmark and waldman good years. we had driven to memphis to see the big game and got to the pyramid probably a couple of hours before the game. it was my first time there and we wanted to explore the pyramid. we even got a chance to see a titanic exhibition. still we had loads of available time and just so happened the billikens were running through a walk through practice. my son and my nephew snuck down to courtside so my son could get spoon's autograph. (who could resist the cute little 7 year old completely decked out in billiken wear.)

well spoon actually shoo'd him away. which made sense the guy was trying to prepare for one of the biggest games of the year.

i bought my son pizza and he was content. when i got back i sent a letter to spoon apologizing for my son interrupting practice. spoon sent back a handwritten letter to my son explaining what had happened and the timing. he sent an autographed mini billiken basketball with all the teams autographs, a media guide autographed and an invite to come watch practice up close and meet the team. really nice.

my other spoon memory and actually the moment i remember most whenever someone mentions spoon. spoon always played that "aw schucks, we arent that good" and down sold everything. he relished the underdog role. but one billiken club event we were at, someone asked just how good this larry hughes high school senior was and how much he would contribute next year. totally out of character, spoon got quiet for a second, got a serious look on his face, and he looked at us and said,

"folks, larry hughes is flat out great. i have never coached a kid as talented as this before and he is going to do things that simply will be amazing."

i will never forget the look we got. it was so out of character for spoon. that it really hit home. it might have been the most excited i have ever been (possibly the moment the clock ran out in the depaul - slu game at the miracle in memphis game) as a billiken fan.

I first remember watching Billiken basketball on kplr in the Grawer days, but the Spoonball era was definately the high-point in the program's history during my lifetime. Am I correct that there was a feature article about the Billikens in Sport Illustrated in 1994? God bless you, Spoon.