Weekly RPI/NCAA Review

I think Xavier's performance down the stretch will be one key for us. If they can sneak into the top 50 and we can beat them again here, we've got 2 extra "Top 50" wins. This shows that even the wins vs. top 50 metric is kind of silly, but it is what it is. If not, our record vs. top 50 will look pretty weak.

The latest numbers for SLU:

Record: Overall: 17-5; vs. D-1 16-5; A-10: 5-3

RPI: Current 39 (which would give SLU the 26th of 37 NCAA At Large Bids)

RPI Forecast, Overall 34

Expected RPI Rank 34.6

Source: www.rpiforecast.com

vs. Top 25: 0-1

vs. Top 50: 1-2

vs. Top 100: 6-4

vs. Top 125: 6-5

Sagarin: 20

Pomeroy: 12

You've got to love those Sagarin and Pomeroy ratings, especially Pomeroy, even if the NCAA doesn't consider it.

We have evidence to say that SLU is the 12th ranked team in the country, as in overall, from sea to shining sea and across the fruited plain.

vs. Top 25: 0-1

So, I guess New Mexico is in the Top 25 now?

It's kind of interesting to note that when this schedule was originally made, it was probably considered to be a much tougher than average non-conference schedule, with Washington, Oklahoma, BC, Vilanova, New Mexico.You would normally expect 1 or 2 of them to be top 25 when we played them, and all should be around top 50 or so.

We can't blame the schedule makers this year.

So, I guess New Mexico is in the Top 25 now?

It's kind of interesting to note that when this schedule was originally made, it was probably considered to be a much tougher than average non-conference schedule, with Washington, Oklahoma, BC, Vilanova, New Mexico.You would normally expect 1 or 2 of them to be top 25 when we played them, and all should be around top 50 or so.

We can't blame the schedule makers this year.

No, it is Temple (RPI 16). New Mexico is right behind SLU at 40, Xavier stays at 47, and St. Joseph's is 49. Other opponents of note: Oklahoma 63, LaSalle 68, Washington 69, UMass 72 (down from 57 after the URI loss), Dayton 73, Duquesne 80, St. Bona 84, Villanova 94, Loyola Marymount 109, Charlotte 136, GW 182, Fordham 204, URI 244.

Temple is projected to end in the top 25.

Also, the 34 or 35 for losing two more regular season games means that we may be considered a lock (well, we would if we had a top 50 victory) at the end of the reg season. That means little except we would not HAVE to win in the quarterfinals. It also means that losing 8 regular season games MAY lead to an at-large with semi-final win over Temple or other top 50 A10 team if there is one.

BTW, Xavier looked even worse last night at GW. They got VERY lucky they won (GW missed 3 winning shots in the last 5 seconds; one was a complete bunny that--and I feel for the guy--was missed because it was rushed unnecessarily). We really need X to beat Memphis but they have got to start playing better.

No, it is Temple (RPI 16). New Mexico is right behind SLU at 40, Xavier stays at 47, and St. Joseph's is 49. Other opponents of note: Oklahoma 63, LaSalle 68, Washington 69, UMass 72 (down from 57 after the URI loss), Dayton 73, Duquesne 80, St. Bona 84, Villanova 94, Loyola Marymount 109, Charlotte 136, GW 182, Fordham 204, URI 244.

Interesting to see what losing to a really bad team does to your RPI. Case in point for both Dayton and UMass losing to URI. Also, Oklahoma basically didn't move RPI-wise as the loss at Kansas didn't hurt. That is why I stated that them just pulling off one upset against their 3 big-time opponents (Kansas, Mizzou, Baylor) gives them a chance to shoot into the top 50.

12-4 would be awesome and unfortunately highly unlikely. Are the Bills capable of it? Yes. However, I still see 5 very tough games on the schedule so I would be extremely pleased with a 12-4 conference record. Also, being 12-4 in conference would certainly make us a lock for the NCAAs

12-4 would be awesome and unfortunately highly unlikely. Are the Bills capable of it? Yes. However, I still see 5 very tough games on the schedule so I would be extremely pleased with a 12-4 conference record. Also, being 12-4 in conference would certainly make us a lock for the NCAAs

I agree. I don't see us going the rest of the way with one loss considering we still have Saturday, Xavier, and La Salle and not to mention a very possible let-down game somewhere down the road. I wouldn't hate it, but I also know our tendency to lose after a big win.

I definitely think we can secure an at large bid, but that being said (and I hate to be negative) our loss to Temple depresses me more and more every day. That could end up being such a missed opportunity. I think besides SLU, Temple is the class of the A-10. I see them easily going the furthest in the tournament.

Washington just survived against UCLA tonight. Had to come back from 10 down with about 4 minutes to win. They are now 8-2 in the Pac-12 and 15-7 overall. They are making that slow march to the top 50 (slow because the Pac-12 is just flatout crappy and Washington has no 'big' games left on their schedule.)

In other games tonight that can also effect our RPI, Arkansas St won, Portland is tied with about 9 minutes left, and LMU is up 7 at halftime. We could see a nice little bump come tomorrow morning. :)

Washington just survived against UCLA tonight. Had to come back from 10 down with about 4 minutes to win. They are now 8-2 in the Pac-12 and 15-7 overall. They are making that slow march to the top 50 (slow because the Pac-12 is just flatout crappy and Washington has no 'big' games left on their schedule.)

In other games tonight that can also effect our RPI, Arkansas St won, Portland is tied with about 9 minutes left, and LMU is up 7 at halftime. We could see a nice little bump come tomorrow morning. :)

That Washington game was a pretty amazing comeback. Not only did UW make their shots but it never ceases to amaze how the refs can affect things as every 50/50 call went UW's way during the run. That place was certainly rocking.

Watching the Portland game on ESPNU right now. Don't have a good feeling about it but you never know.

We moved past New Mexico after Washington won. Up to 38!

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

It seemed like Washington just flipped a switch and immediately started playing better...If that Win is going to be perceived as 'Quality' (ie- Top 50) for us they can't lose games at home to UCLA...They end the season with 3 straight games on the road (@ Washington State, @ UCLA, and @ USC)...hopefully they can win 2 of those, especially since a Top 50 RPI might be at stake for them...

That Washington game was a pretty amazing comeback. Not only did UW make their shots but it never ceases to amaze how the refs can affect things as every 50/50 call went UW's way during the run. That place was certainly rocking.

Watching the Portland game on ESPNU right now. Don't have a good feeling about it but you never know.

I watched that entire game, too. I agree with your assessment about the 50/50 calls. With the way that arena was jumping, there was no way the refs were going to call anything against UW if they could help it. Of course, that arena was crazy because Ross was absolutely on FIRE at the end! Great game to watch and much better than the Duke-Va Tech game that preceded it.

What a BS foul that lead to a 4-point Santa Clara possession...I wouldn't be happy if I were a Portland fan...

Portland is a brutal 4-17 this year. They won 20 games last year and was 18-13 the year before when we scheduled this series. On the bright side, they sure do make their FTs down the stretch...

and they started off 2-0...and they do have a Top 50 SOS...