Are we recruiting this guy?

ACE

Board favorite Andy Strickland was talking about a player who committed to play for Porter, but has since backed out of his verbal commitment and is now a prime target for Majerus. Unfortunately I got in on the end of it and didn't catch the player's name. After doing some digging, it seems like it could be this guy...

http://hoopsillinois1.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=214:red-hot-2012-star-keith-carter-enjoys-a-pair-of-campus-visits-as-he-winds-his-way-through-the-recruiting-process&catid=40:news&Itemid=64

The above report was from late August and shows that we were recruiting him. Another report from early September looks like he has backed off of his commitment to Porter, so I'm guessing this is the player Strickland was talking about http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2011/09/proviso_easts_keith_carter_ope.html

Rick vs. Porter on the recruiting trail... what a great battle. Surely NH is sitting on pins and needles.

I'm not sure who you are talking about. The kid in question is a point guard.

Broy meant there never seems to be a legit PF on our lists. We're all the time getting guards where we happen to be overstocked right now. We need some strong inside help. Along those lines PM signed what seems to be 2 PF's at 6'7" and 6'8".

Broy meant there never seems to be a legit PF on our lists. We're all the time getting guards where we happen to be overstocked right now. We need some strong inside help. Along those lines PM signed what seems to be 2 PF's at 6'7" and 6'8".

You don't actually think Rick can recruit against Porter, do you?

I'm not sure who you are talking about. The kid in question is a point guard.

that's what i am talking about. we are never recruiting a big man ready to play from the opening bell. it seems it's guards. all guards

A few months ago, didn't we sign a power forward that originally committed to a legit Top 40 program and had offers from several BCS programs?

I have said that a shotblocker/rebounder would be my top priority and still feel that way, but if this kid can play, let's go for it. A quality point guard does make some sense - Our last five commits (if we land this kid) would form a potential starting lineup for the future - a point guard, the Greek at the 2, Drew at 3, Glaze at 4, Manning at the 5.

A few months ago, didn't we sign a power forward that originally committed to a legit Top 40 program and had offers from several BCS programs?

I have said that a shotblocker/rebounder would be my top priority and still feel that way, but if this kid can play, let's go for it. A quality point guard does make some sense - Our last five commits (if we land this kid) would form a potential starting lineup for the future - a point guard, the Greek at the 2, Drew at 3, Glaze at 4, Manning at the 5.

ace, my "wish" included "that isnt a project". while i think glaze and manning showed flashes in the practice sessions we were allowed to attend, i will be shocked if they see an average of double figure minutes for a couple of years. they are not ready to play yet.

and before you turn this into a "roy hates rickma" thing. no where in my post is that stated. anyone that has been reading billikens.com since steve was a youngster knows i have been making this wish since bonner signed with the knicks. this has been a forever achillies heel of saint louis university basketball.

I have the same wish as Roy re: a PF, but those guys rarely have a school like SLU in their top 3.

And with Porter gone, they never will.... :)

Seriously though, I agree with Roy and had expectations that Rick would be able to land another Willie Reed more often than once every 4-5 years (if that).

And with Porter gone, they never will.... :)

Seriously though, I agree with Roy and had expectations that Rick would be able to land another Willie Reed more often than once every 4-5 years (if that).

and if we all will work to remember back to the pre-freshman willie, willie reed didnt come to slu with a resume of expectations. we all assumed he was the work in progress and that thompson was the better choice to be our big man of the future. reed was the true diamond in the rough.

ace, my "wish" included "that isnt a project". while i think glaze and manning showed flashes in the practice sessions we were allowed to attend, i will be shocked if they see an average of double figure minutes for a couple of years. they are not ready to play yet.

and before you turn this into a "roy hates rickma" thing. no where in my post is that stated. anyone that has been reading billikens.com since steve was a youngster knows i have been making this wish since bonner signed with the knicks. this has been a forever achillies heel of saint louis university basketball.

Roy, I think it is just something that as SLU fans, we are always going to wish for but never really see happen. The type of player you want to see usually is courted right away by the big boys. Programs like SLU and other mid-majors just never get a chance to land those types of players.

Ready for prime-time PFs are really quite rare, and there are a number of BCS programs that have the same issues that SLU does in terms of size and athleticism at the 4. Getting that 6'9" guy with muscle and ability should be placed #1 on the wish list, but with only a limited number of players that fit that mold and a large number of teams with that as their #1 wish, it will be tough for SLU to ever land that guy unless he truly flies under the radar.

and if we all will work to remember back to the pre-freshman willie, willie reed didnt come to slu with a resume of expectations. we all assumed he was the work in progress and that thompson was the better choice to be our big man of the future. reed was the true diamond in the rough.

Maybe Glaze or Manning will be the 'diamond in the rough'. Like Willie, we don't have high expectations for either player right away. And remember last season, DE was the one who had the least amount expected from him right away, yet he had the best year of all of the freshmen.

I recall watching Bonner a lot in high school and he was not the prototype power forward at all. He was quick and athletic with a lot of speed. He was very unpolished on the offensive end and mostly scored on dunks. He played the point on the press at times and got some run outs with steals. It took him a couple of years to develop a jump shot but he was never what you would call a polished big man scorer. But boy could be rebound, in and out of his area he was relentless and that is what got him to the NBA. There seem to be only a couple of dozen, or fewer, really polished power forwards who come out each year ready for prime time and many of them see themselves as one and done material looking for the bright lights of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke or North Carolina. Right now our team has some nice pieces and some decent big men but no superstar. A lot of teams have competed effectively with really good guards and tough and clever inside guys. We just have to hope that our guys continue to develop. I really like our guards and DE and Glaze has potential and it looks like Manning can be better than we expected in the middle eventually.

I don't think we will see double figure minutes from either this year, but I think you might be underselling Glaze. I think when Conklin graduates, he could step in and fill an important role his sophomore season.

I completely agree on your wish list. I said something similar last week. But even more important than getting guys that can fill a position, is to get guys who can play first and foremost, regardless of position. If this kid is the next Jacob Pullen or even the next Mike McCall, this would be a very good signing. If we can't get the shotblocking 4/5 that I really want, don't settle for Justin Johnson, Obi, Horace, etc.

I believe Glaze will surprise a lot of you, possibly even this year.

I share your optimism about Grandy. I think some people are discounting him because his recruitment came about so quickly. If you look at the schools recruiting him, he is one of the most highly recruited players that we have signed in recent years. There's no reason to view him as a project and to not expect him to make an impact by his sophomore year. I was impressed in the little I saw of him in one of the scrimmages. He will provide a physical presence we lack. He will hurt some people and set some bone-crushing picks. I project him to be a more physical Conklin with better hops.

I share your optimism about Grandy. I think some people are discounting him because his recruitment came about so quickly. If you look at the schools recruiting him, he is one of the most highly recruited players that we have signed in recent years. There's no reason to view him as a project and to not expect him to make an impact by his sophomore year. I was impressed in the little I saw of him in one of the scrimmages. He will provide a physical presence we lack. He will hurt some people and set some bone-crushing picks. I project him to be a more physical Conklin with better hops.

From watching him play he looked like a bull in a china closet. He definately has potential, but he is a project.

i indeed was impressed with his "motor". he played hard and physical. i was not impressed with his basketball. it seems he has a lot to learn. that said, i have long said rickma is a good teacher. if the kid can take the method, he indeed could become special considering his physical size and strength. but still i dont see him becoming a big contributor this year because of what i think appears to be his needed learning curve he has to navigate yet. i hope he surprises.

billikan, your insinuation that bonner wasnt a step in player is wrong by my memory. and while anthony indeed exceeded everyone's expectations by the time he graduated and became the greatest billiken player since easy ed, bonner played big minutes from day one and was never considered a project.

i indeed was impressed with his "motor". he played hard and physical. i was not impressed with his basketball. it seems he has a lot to learn. that said, i have long said rickma is a good teacher. if the kid can take the method, he indeed could become special considering his physical size and strength. but still i dont see him becoming a big contributor this year because of what i think appears to be his needed learning curve he has to navigate yet. i hope he surprises.

billikan, your insinuation that bonner wasnt a step in player is wrong by my memory. and while anthony indeed exceeded everyone's expectations by the time he graduated and became the greatest billiken player since easy ed, bonner played big minutes from day one and was never considered a project.

Roy, my memory of Bonner when we were recruiting him was that it was us and SIUC - remember he had a press conf at Vashon and both Herrin and Grawer were in attendance with neither of them knowing who he was going to pick. He came out with our hat on or had both hats on a table and then picked up ours. I remember reading in the paper that Herrin was not very happy because he had come up and felt like he was being played with. I would not say that Bonner was thought to be a ready to step in to play by the nature of who his two finalist were - he was considered somewhat raw since he had not played a lot bb. Maybe somebody remembers if when Bonner came was the freshmen not playing rule still in effect?

Roy, my memory of Bonner when we were recruiting him was that it was us and SIUC - remember he had a press conf at Vashon and both Herrin and Grawer were in attendance with neither of them knowing who he was going to pick. He came out with our hat on or had both hats on a table and then picked up ours. I remember reading in the paper that Herrin was not very happy because he had come up and felt like he was being played with. I would not say that Bonner was thought to be a ready to step in to play by the nature of who his two finalist were - he was considered somewhat raw since he had not played a lot bb. Maybe somebody remembers if when Bonner came was the freshmen not playing rule still in effect?

i agree he was raw. but he did play big minutes and started from day one. i believe he is on most all of the top ten freshmen record lists. that is what i am talking about. coming in and being a main contributor from day one and not a "project". bonner did turn out more than anyone expected, but he was never a part time off the end of the bench project.