Patrick Ingram

Westy03

If Porter is so great, why didn't he land Ingram?

Not to mention the fact that you're completely missing the point. Even if PM was just your run of the mill assistant (in which case I don't think he would have gotten a head coaching gig at a Horizon league school) he was still our point man on the classes of 2012 and 2013.

With him leaving we are left with a team coming off a losing season, without relationships with the recruits, without an established recruiter, and with a coach whose future is murky at best. That doesn't lead to big recruiting successes generally.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He got Loyola into a guy's top three. You honestly expect Loyola to beat Iowa for recruits. That Moser even got Ingram to visit and put Loyola ahead of SIUC, Tennesee among others is impressive.

Who do you guys think recruited Dwayne Evans, Mike Mccall, Kyle Cassity to SLU over bigger offers? Moser was a top 25 assistant in the country and I think it's basically understood that he is an excellent recruiter.

In recruiting..."no points for second place"

Just like Top Gun

He got Loyola into a guy's top three. You honestly expect Loyola to beat Iowa for recruits. That Moser even got Ingram to visit and put Loyola ahead of SIUC, Tennesee among others is impressive.

Who do you guys think recruited Dwayne Evans, Mike Mccall, Kyle Cassity to SLU over bigger offers? Moser was a top 25 assistant in the country and I think it's basically understood that he is an excellent recruiter.

Do you expect us to beat Big 10 schools for recruits right now? We won 12 freakin' games last year. Also, the kid is on record saying that playin the in Big 10 was his "dream." We know you like to be chicken little around here, but relax.

Striking out on the class of 2012 no surprise given the departure of Moser. Whitesell not a big recruiter. Jensen is unproven. Harriman's never gotten an American recruit and RM doesn't do much of the recruiting especially with all the personal problems he's been dealing with.

I don't expect us to land any impact players in this class. Hopefully we come up big next year.

I agree that losing Porter wasn't good for the program and it's disappointing that we were burned by the two guys we appeared to being going after the hardest, but you're overreacting. As someone mentioned, we got Glaze and Tselentakis after Porter's departure. Whether or not they're world-beaters is certainly still in question, but both appear to have come in fairly well regarded in the recruiting world.

Do you expect us to beat Big 10 schools for recruits right now? We won 12 freakin' games last year. Also, the kid is on record saying that playin the in Big 10 was his "dream." We know you like to be chicken little around here, but relax.

Four years into Majerus' tenure paying the guy $1 million a year in a top flight arena and we've yet to make the NIT and our coach spends a lot of time away from the program and could retire at a minute's notice. But ok I'll try and relax.

I agree that losing Porter wasn't good for the program and it's disappointing that we were burned by the two guys we appeared to being going after the hardest, but you're overreacting. As someone mentioned, we got Glaze and Tselentakis after Porter's departure. Whether or not they're world-beaters is certainly still in question, but both appear to have come in fairly well regarded in the recruiting world.

I hope you're right. But I haven't seen anything to suggest the Tselentakis was "well regarded" in the recruiting world. Glaze was a good, if lucky, pickup.

I hope you're right. But I haven't seen anything to suggest the Tselentakis was "well regarded" in the recruiting world. Glaze was a good, if lucky, pickup.

Lucky? If porter would have landed him for us you would be saying it's because he's such a good recruiter. You crack me up sometimes.

So if we get a kid to put us in his top 3, yet don't land him it's a failure, but if Porter does the same at Loyola it's a success?

Look I'm not going to get into an argument about his ability to recruit. I think he's a good recruiter...but the reason kids come here to play is because of Rick. Most of the players will tell you that.

I love the rhetorical question. I'm not going to say a lot more than that, since most people know where I stand anyway.

Lucky? If porter would have landed him for us you would be saying it's because he's such a good recruiter. You crack me up sometimes.

Lucky in the sense that if Lon Kruger doesn't get hired at Oklahoma, Glaze is in Las Vegas right now.

Four years into Majerus' tenure paying the guy $1 million a year in a top flight arena and we've yet to make the NIT and our coach spends a lot of time away from the program and could retire at a minute's notice. But ok I'll try and relax.

FWIW, $1 million is entirely inaccurate.

recruiting note for what it's worth, rickma apparently has established a pipeline relationship with notre dame prep with jett, barnett and now glaze all coming from that school. nh, that isnt luck. it takes a long time to build relationships like that and one has to give majerus credit for that as far as i know. obviously not due to porter as glaze came here after porter was long gone.

heard this blog, if $1 million is inaccurate, what is the actual figure?

thanks i will hang up and listen.

recruiting note for what it's worth, rickma apparently has established a pipeline relationship with notre dame prep with jett, barnett and now glaze all coming from that school. nh, that isnt luck. it takes a long time to build relationships like that and one has to give majerus credit for that as far as i know. obviously not due to porter as glaze came here after porter was long gone.

Figure isn't public, nor do I know it personally. It was originally reported (back when Rick started) as such by an STL outlet, and a source very close to the situation told me that it was absolutely false.

NO HOPE.

Quality post, Roy

NO HOPE.

Just saying it's not ridiculous to be concerned about certain things. At the end of the day, I went to four open practices and cannot wait for the season. I just don't think it's all good all the time necessarily.

Just saying it's not ridiculous to be concerned about certain things. At the end of the day, I went to four open practices and cannot wait for the season. I just don't think it's all good all the time necessarily.

just giving you ######. i'm the eternal optimist, in all aspects of life, probably to a fault. in my mind, majerus is going to be inspired by his mother's passing and coach another 10 years, imparting life and basketball wisdom to dozens of great kids in his mother's honor. and taking us deep into the tourney several times.

we shall see. regardless, the sun shall set and rise again. until we blow this motherfuoker up.

Striking out on the class of 2012 no surprise given the departure of Moser. Whitesell not a big recruiter. Jensen is unproven. Harriman's never gotten an American recruit and RM doesn't do much of the recruiting especially with all the personal problems he's been dealing with.

I don't expect us to land any impact players in this class. Hopefully we come up big next year.

This is why people give you crap on this board...for making posts like this one. You have elevated Porter Moser to legend status, and at the same time, you have already declared that we will not get any quality recruits for 2012, even though it is just August. What I would like to know is this...how do you know that Whitesell cannot recruit, or isn't a 'big recruiter', like Porter is?

The fact is, you don't. You just have it in your mind that the above statements you have presented are facts. Basically, I think you feel that if you type these things enough on this board, they will become facts. I think you are a smart kid, and that you give a lot of good analysis when you are actually watching games and practices. However, when you make statements like this, it makes others just not want to take you seriously.

Nice, fair post, Roy.

This is why people give you crap on this board...for making posts like this one. You have elevated Porter Moser to legend status, and at the same time, you have already declared that we will not get any quality recruits for 2012, even though it is just August. What I would like to know is this...how do you know that Whitesell cannot recruit, or isn't a 'big recruiter', like Porter is?

The fact is, you don't. You just have it in your mind that the above statements you have presented are facts. Basically, I think you feel that if you type these things enough on this board, they will become facts. I think you are a smart kid, and that you give a lot of good analysis when you are actually watching games and practices. However, when you make statements like this, it makes others just not want to take you seriously.

We can do without the personality analysis. If you disagree, you disagree.

And like I said, losing Moser hurts not just from the standpoint that I think he's a quality coach but by the nature of the role he played on the team. He was our point man for the 2012 class and with him leaving we're not in a good position to recruit that class.

We can do without the personality analysis. If you disagree, you disagree.

And like I said, losing Moser hurts not just from the standpoint that I think he's a quality coach but by the nature of the role he played on the team. He was our point man for the 2012 class and with him leaving we're not in a good position to recruit that class.

Don't get pissy with jbizzle just because he hit the nail on the head. You've been consistently ridiculous in this thread. To say in August that we won't land any impact recruits in this class is stupid. Yes, PM played a key role and by all indications was a good recruiter (and a good drinker).

I really don't know the answer to this, but of the core of this team who didn't RM have a material role in getting here? And by material role, I mean that PM did all of the work and landed the kid. KM? MM? KC? CE? RL? DE? JB? CR? BC? JJ? At the end of the day, would any of these guys have chosen SLU had it not been for RM being HC? At a minimum and I'm not nearly as informed as you or others, but I'm guessing that RM played a large role in landing KM, KC, CE, RL, JB, CR, BC and JJ.

At the end of the day, I think you channel your frustration with RM into some type of "PM is God" campaign. There are plenty of valid reasons to be critical of RM's tenure, but I think you consistently choose the wrong one.

Don't get pissy with jbizzle just because he hit the nail on the head. You've been consistently ridiculous in this thread. To say in August that we won't land any impact recruits in this class is stupid. Yes, PM played a key role and by all indications was a good recruiter (and a good drinker).

I really don't know the answer to this, but of the core of this team who didn't RM have a material role in getting here? And by material role, I mean that PM did all of the work and landed the kid. KM? MM? KC? CE? RL? DE? JB? CR? BC? JJ? At the end of the day, would any of these guys have chosen SLU had it not been for RM being HC? At a minimum and I'm not nearly as informed as you or others, but I'm guessing that RM played a large role in landing KM, KC, CE, RL, JB, CR, BC and JJ.

At the end of the day, I think you channel your frustration with RM into some type of "PM is God" campaign. There are plenty of valid reasons to be critical of RM's tenure, but I think you consistently choose the wrong one.

I'm not being critical in this thread as much as pointing out what I feel is a legitimate concern for the current recruiting class.

And yeah I'm sure RM was critical in landing all of those guys.

I'm not being critical in this thread as much as pointing out what I feel is a legitimate concern for the current recruiting class.

And yeah I'm sure RM was critical in landing all of those guys.

You do realize that Majerus has been coaching a while, right? And you also realize that while at Utah he saw a number of his assistant coaches move onto other opportunities, right? Yet, he was able to still keep on plugging away there. It is the nature of the business. Coaches leave and you replace them. You also continue recruiting year after year. You don't just throw in the towel for an entire recruiting season because one assistant coach left right after the previous season ended.

PM is gone. He was replaced by Whitesell. We really do not know if he is a 'big-time recruiter.' However, he is a guy who has 20+ years of head coaching experience, ranging from D-III to D-1. And, he spent that whole time as a head coach in the Chicago area. Thus, it would at least be safe to assume that he has contacts and ties in that area and can continue to mine those resources.

You state Jensen is unproven. Yet, he is in his 4th year as an assistant under RM. He also played his entire collegiate career under him. Do you not think he has learned just a little bit about not just coaching, but how to recruit, from his time on RM's staff? Do you think that RM is a super-patient type that just allows Jensen to slide by and not produce or learn anything just because he is one of his ex-players?

And if all Harriman is bringing to the recruiting table is Down Under players, how is that a bad thing? If you have an assistant coach who you can say is responsible for bringing in a recruit with the skill set of Rob Loe, then more power to that guy!

Obviously, I think you are completely overplaying the loss of Porter Moser. If it appears that I am making him out to not be a previously important part of the team, that is not my intent. My intent is to point out that losing an assistant coach, regardless of how 'hot' of a recruiter he was, is not nearly the end of the world. Guys like that leave every season for other opportunities, and any program worth a damn can easily move on from that loss. Considering RM's experience and his previous capabilities of dealing with the losses of key assistant coaches, I think we will be fine when it comes to absorbing the loss of Porter Moser.

Finally, you said you aren't being critical and just showing concern. However, I am pretty sure the very thing you were doing in this thread was being critical. You said we struck out on the 2012 class, that you don't think we will land any impact player until the following season, that Whitesell is not a big recruiter and that RM doesn't recruit much anymore. This seems to me to be the very definition of being critical (def: 'inclined to find fault or to judge with severity, often too readily.')

Lucky in the sense that if Lon Kruger doesn't get hired at Oklahoma, Glaze is in Las Vegas right now.

You could also say that we were unlucky that Bruce Pearl flames out at Tenn and they hire Cuonzo Martin. If that doesn't happen, we likely land Chievous.

You do realize that Majerus has been coaching a while, right? And you also realize that while at Utah he saw a number of his assistant coaches move onto other opportunities, right? Yet, he was able to still keep on plugging away there. It is the nature of the business. Coaches leave and you replace them. You also continue recruiting year after year. You don't just throw in the towel for an entire recruiting season because one assistant coach left right after the previous season ended.

PM is gone. He was replaced by Whitesell. We really do not know if he is a 'big-time recruiter.' However, he is a guy who has 20+ years of head coaching experience, ranging from D-III to D-1. And, he spent that whole time as a head coach in the Chicago area. Thus, it would at least be safe to assume that he has contacts and ties in that area and can continue to mine those resources.

You state Jensen is unproven. Yet, he is in his 4th year as an assistant under RM. He also played his entire collegiate career under him. Do you not think he has learned just a little bit about not just coaching, but how to recruit, from his time on RM's staff? Do you think that RM is a super-patient type that just allows Jensen to slide by and not produce or learn anything just because he is one of his ex-players?

And if all Harriman is bringing to the recruiting table is Down Under players, how is that a bad thing? If you have an assistant coach who you can say is responsible for bringing in a recruit with the skill set of Rob Loe, then more power to that guy!

Obviously, I think you are completely overplaying the loss of Porter Moser. If it appears that I am making him out to not be a previously important part of the team, that is not my intent. My intent is to point out that losing an assistant coach, regardless of how 'hot' of a recruiter he was, is not nearly the end of the world. Guys like that leave every season for other opportunities, and any program worth a damn can easily move on from that loss. Considering RM's experience and his previous capabilities of dealing with the losses of key assistant coaches, I think we will be fine when it comes to absorbing the loss of Porter Moser.

Finally, you said you aren't being critical and just showing concern. However, I am pretty sure the very thing you were doing in this thread was being critical. You said we struck out on the 2012 class, that you don't think we will land any impact player until the following season, that Whitesell is not a big recruiter and that RM doesn't recruit much anymore. This seems to me to be the very definition of being critical (def: 'inclined to find fault or to judge with severity, often too readily.')

Nice post, jbiz - well written and accurate