Patrick Ingram

Westy03

You do realize that Majerus has been coaching a while, right? And you also realize that while at Utah he saw a number of his assistant coaches move onto other opportunities, right? Yet, he was able to still keep on plugging away there. It is the nature of the business. Coaches leave and you replace them. You also continue recruiting year after year. You don't just throw in the towel for an entire recruiting season because one assistant coach left right after the previous season ended.

PM is gone. He was replaced by Whitesell. We really do not know if he is a 'big-time recruiter.' However, he is a guy who has 20+ years of head coaching experience, ranging from D-III to D-1. And, he spent that whole time as a head coach in the Chicago area. Thus, it would at least be safe to assume that he has contacts and ties in that area and can continue to mine those resources.

You state Jensen is unproven. Yet, he is in his 4th year as an assistant under RM. He also played his entire collegiate career under him. Do you not think he has learned just a little bit about not just coaching, but how to recruit, from his time on RM's staff? Do you think that RM is a super-patient type that just allows Jensen to slide by and not produce or learn anything just because he is one of his ex-players?

And if all Harriman is bringing to the recruiting table is Down Under players, how is that a bad thing? If you have an assistant coach who you can say is responsible for bringing in a recruit with the skill set of Rob Loe, then more power to that guy!

Obviously, I think you are completely overplaying the loss of Porter Moser. If it appears that I am making him out to not be a previously important part of the team, that is not my intent. My intent is to point out that losing an assistant coach, regardless of how 'hot' of a recruiter he was, is not nearly the end of the world. Guys like that leave every season for other opportunities, and any program worth a damn can easily move on from that loss. Considering RM's experience and his previous capabilities of dealing with the losses of key assistant coaches, I think we will be fine when it comes to absorbing the loss of Porter Moser.

Finally, you said you aren't being critical and just showing concern. However, I am pretty sure the very thing you were doing in this thread was being critical. You said we struck out on the 2012 class, that you don't think we will land any impact player until the following season, that Whitesell is not a big recruiter and that RM doesn't recruit much anymore. This seems to me to be the very definition of being critical (def: 'inclined to find fault or to judge with severity, often too readily.')

+1.

Wow. Just a short time ago, NH and others were saying that we struck out this Spring and that Manning was a long term project who would redshirt and hopefully become a role player in the future. Without PM, we couldn't land Cheivous and the other Springtime "superstars." Instead, we now have been able to see Manning in person and he sure looks better than the doom and gloom reports suggested. We also have Glaze and many are quite pleased with him (though most admit we won't rely upon him this year) and we also have ET (whom we really don't know much about) but who apparently can shoot and play the game.

My point: last Fall we had only 1 scholarship opening. This Fall, we filled that scholarship with what appears to be a good player (Manning) and we now have Glaze and ET instead of CS the empty scholarship left by WR. We also might have the best walk-on player to ever lace up his shoes at SLU. Why the continual harping on RM as a bad recruiter/implications that RM is nothing w/o Porter?

When will NH stop crying? After RM racks up another good recruiting class for 2012, NH will then start his drama with 2013.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that Majerus has been coaching a while, right? And you also realize that while at Utah he saw a number of his assistant coaches move onto other opportunities, right? Yet, he was able to still keep on plugging away there. It is the nature of the business. Coaches leave and you replace them. You also continue recruiting year after year. You don't just throw in the towel for an entire recruiting season because one assistant coach left right after the previous season ended.

PM is gone. He was replaced by Whitesell. We really do not know if he is a 'big-time recruiter.' However, he is a guy who has 20+ years of head coaching experience, ranging from D-III to D-1. And, he spent that whole time as a head coach in the Chicago area. Thus, it would at least be safe to assume that he has contacts and ties in that area and can continue to mine those resources.

You state Jensen is unproven. Yet, he is in his 4th year as an assistant under RM. He also played his entire collegiate career under him. Do you not think he has learned just a little bit about not just coaching, but how to recruit, from his time on RM's staff? Do you think that RM is a super-patient type that just allows Jensen to slide by and not produce or learn anything just because he is one of his ex-players?

And if all Harriman is bringing to the recruiting table is Down Under players, how is that a bad thing? If you have an assistant coach who you can say is responsible for bringing in a recruit with the skill set of Rob Loe, then more power to that guy!

Obviously, I think you are completely overplaying the loss of Porter Moser. If it appears that I am making him out to not be a previously important part of the team, that is not my intent. My intent is to point out that losing an assistant coach, regardless of how 'hot' of a recruiter he was, is not nearly the end of the world. Guys like that leave every season for other opportunities, and any program worth a damn can easily move on from that loss. Considering RM's experience and his previous capabilities of dealing with the losses of key assistant coaches, I think we will be fine when it comes to absorbing the loss of Porter Moser.

Finally, you said you aren't being critical and just showing concern. However, I am pretty sure the very thing you were doing in this thread was being critical. You said we struck out on the 2012 class, that you don't think we will land any impact player until the following season, that Whitesell is not a big recruiter and that RM doesn't recruit much anymore. This seems to me to be the very definition of being critical (def: 'inclined to find fault or to judge with severity, often too readily.')

Solid post, bizzle. Majerus is the politician, the public figure; his assistants are the speechwriters, the strategists, the pollsters - the behind-the-scenes guys that without, there's no image, no success. I think that in time, Jensen has the basketball IQ, and the savvy to become a great assistant and maybe even a HC. Steve Wojo, Chris Collins did not light the world on fire immediately at Duke...there's a learning curve to this. In 3-4 more years, I know that we'll be able to put Alex Jensen in that conversation of top assistants. I love the fact that Jensen stayed when he could have gone back to his alma mater...he's a guy that knows the meaning of "go home with the guy that took you to the dance."

+1.

Wow. Just a short time ago, NH and others were saying that we struck out this Spring and that Manning was a long term project who would redshirt and hopefully become a role player in the future. Without PM, we couldn't land Cheivous and the other Springtime "superstars." Instead, we now have been able to see Manning in person and he sure looks better than the doom and gloom reports suggested. We also have Glaze and many are quite pleased with him (though most admit we won't rely upon him this year) and we also have ET (whom we really don't know much about) but who apparently can shoot and play the game.

My point: last Fall we had only 1 scholarship opening. This Fall, we filled that scholarship with what appears to be a good player (Manning) and we now have Glaze and ET instead of CS the empty scholarship left by WR. We also might have the best walk-on player to ever lace up his shoes at SLU. Why the continual harping on RM as a bad recruiter/implications that RM is nothing w/o Porter?

When will NH stop crying? After RM racks up another good recruiting class for 2012, NH will then start his drama with 2013.

Everyone has always had higher hopes than Manning being a role player. Count me in the camp that still thinks it will be another year before he has much of an impact.

We can do without the personality analysis. If you disagree, you disagree.

And like I said, losing Moser hurts not just from the standpoint that I think he's a quality coach but by the nature of the role he played on the team. He was our point man for the 2012 class and with him leaving we're not in a good position to recruit that class.

Not to burst your bubble, but we also lost out on plenty of recruits WHILE Porter was here. We lost out on Matt Roth after a Big 10 school offered him. We also lost Will Clyburn to freakin' Utah. There are numerous other examples.

Not to burst your bubble, but we also lost out on plenty of recruits WHILE Porter was here. We lost out on Matt Roth after a Big 10 school offered him. We also lost Will Clyburn to freakin' Utah. There are numerous other examples.

Nope. You're wrong. Porter never missed out on a recruit while he was here. In fact Beal wanted to come here until he left. It's a real shame.

Everyone has always had higher hopes than Manning being a role player. Count me in the camp that still thinks it will be another year before he has much of an impact.

+1.

But only because we have RL and upper class players ahead of him