Tim Ream

As a franchise they own almost 3 times the number of WS wins then the next franchise. They play in the biggest market and spend money. Who wouldn't want their team to spend money to keep players and get good ones? See what happens at the end of this year if AP walks and every little kid in St. Louis cries. Don't have to worry about that as a Yankee fan.

I am done talking about Jeter. He is a first ballot hall of famer, so in my book that is a pretty great career.

+ Posted Image

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would renew your subscription to Baseball America, you'd know that regardless of where he was signed, he was the Stud of the Detroit organization. From Stud to Dud. Thanks, Inge. He's like the new Chrysler ads. A lot of hype out of Detroit and nothing to show for it.

Well, I looked through my back issues of baseball America and here is what I found out.

Baseball America had Inge as the #67 prospect in baseball prior to the 2001 season (his only year on the list and 3 seasons after being drafted.) He was drafted 57th overall in the 1998 draft as a 21 year old out of college.

As for Jeter, he was drafted 6th overall in the 1992 draft as an 18 year old out of high school. Baseball America had him as the #44 prospect for 1993, #16 for 1994, #4 for 1995 and #6 for 1996.

Prior to Inge making the majors in 2001 and after (or same year as) getting drafted in 1998, here are some Tiger prospects who placed higher on the list than Inge:

Matt Anderson #24 prospect for 1998

Jeff Weaver #51 prospect for 1999

Eric Munson #20 prospect for 2000

Gabe Kapler #34 prospect for 1999

Juan Encarnacion #15 prospect for 1998

Francisco Cordero #41 prospect for 1998

Basically, Inge was never really regarded as the 'Stud' of the Tigers organization. He was technically their top prospect for 2001 (at #67 overall), but that was it. Also, I don't think anyone can ever say that he has really underachieved nor met expectations. He never hit for average in the minors and he actually improved his power hitting in the majors. Plus, he has played GG-caliber defense at 2 positions (C and 3B.) But as for not living up to the hype, I just don't see it.

Now, perhaps a more apt comparison would be between Justin Verlander and Brien Taylor, but I don't think you want to go there. Of course, you know all this already and were just trying to get under Backhand's skin. But, it at least gave me something to waste my time with between appointments. :D

As a franchise they own almost 3 times the number of WS wins then the next franchise. They play in the biggest market and spend money. Who wouldn't want their team to spend money to keep players and get good ones? See what happens at the end of this year if AP walks and every little kid in St. Louis cries. Don't have to worry about that as a Yankee fan.

I am done talking about Jeter. He is a first ballot hall of famer, so in my book that is a pretty great career.

I'm a huge baseball fan and a lifelong Cardinals fan and I hate Pujols.

Its to the point that Jeter's career is almost underrated.

Every time his name comes up 90% of people will talk about how he sucks and he is the most overrated player of all time.

He may have been overrated certain years but his overall career is beginning to be underrated.

To be honest, the only truly overrated part of his career has been his defense. He has won some undeserved GG's, but he isn't the only player who has. Heck, Raffy Palmeiro won a GG in a year where he only played about 25 games at first! But offensively, for the whole of his career, he is probably one of the top 5 to 10 players at his position all-time.

while i typically hate all things yankme, i do not hate jeter.

he has spent most of his career winning. and he was typically in the middle of the success bigtime. his cutoff in the playoff game in 2001 (tino martinez actually missed the real cutoff) of the throw from right field and then nip the runner at the plate still amazes me everytime i see it. why was he there? i dont know maybe because he is a winner? a winner that makes plays when he has to for his team to win. or at least it sure seems that is the case.

add to these intangibles his actual statistics as rican says, no denying jeter of first ballot hall of famer.

last, the guy is class. rarely is jeter in the middle of controversay or negative publicity off the field and in this day and age of self centered sports stars, that is rare indeed. especially in new york city.

i'll take a million jeter's.

I love all the Tim Ream talk in this thread.

Are you guys really arguing about baseball? I'm pretty sure no one cares about baseball any more.

only professional sport i follow closely. the rest are a complete turnoff imo.

I love all the Tim Ream talk in this thread.

Are you guys really arguing about baseball? I'm pretty sure no one cares about baseball any more.

Haha that's funny. While I am happy for Tim Ream being on ESPN, I am pretty sure no one cares about soccer ever. Until I saw that clip on here I didn't even know they had a league. Looks great, they have uniforms and everything.

Haha that's funny. While I am happy for Tim Ream being on ESPN, I am pretty sure no one cares about soccer ever. Until I saw that clip on here I didn't even know they had a league. Looks great, they have uniforms and everything.

I will admit, not my best move to call out baseball in a soccer thread where no one is talking about soccer.

Well, I looked through my back issues of baseball America and here is what I found out.

Baseball America had Inge as the #67 prospect in baseball prior to the 2001 season (his only year on the list and 3 seasons after being drafted.) He was drafted 57th overall in the 1998 draft as a 21 year old out of college.

As for Jeter, he was drafted 6th overall in the 1992 draft as an 18 year old out of high school. Baseball America had him as the #44 prospect for 1993, #16 for 1994, #4 for 1995 and #6 for 1996.

Prior to Inge making the majors in 2001 and after (or same year as) getting drafted in 1998, here are some Tiger prospects who placed higher on the list than Inge:

Basically, Inge was never really regarded as the 'Stud' of the Tigers organization. He was technically their top prospect for 2001 (at #67 overall), but that was it. Also, I don't think anyone can ever say that he has really underachieved nor met expectations. He never hit for average in the minors and he actually improved his power hitting in the majors. Plus, he has played GG-caliber defense at 2 positions (C and 3B.) But as for not living up to the hype, I just don't see it.

Now, perhaps a more apt comparison would be between Justin Verlander and Brien Taylor, but I don't think you want to go there. Of course, you know all this already and were just trying to get under Backhand's skin. But, it at least gave me something to waste my time with between appointments. :D

Actually Metz probably didn't know this. But he has been stuck on this Jeter/Inge comparison for 2 weeks. (hence the name calling...the guy just becomes a broken record)

Bizzle - thanks for putting an end to his BS...at least on this subject.

Come on, you really can't say they should win every year. Careeer .310 hitter, 5 GGs, 4 Silver Sluggers, Rookie of the Year, WS MVP.......not that great.

The guy is a class act and I don't understand why non Yankee fans like to throw him under the bus. If he wore Cardinal red over the past 15 years and won even 1 World Series he would have a street named after him.

Actually reading this thread is pretty funny. Agree 100% with Rican here and that is coming from a Boston fan (let the jokes fly). Class act, great leader, great hitter. Also the complete opposite of Alex Rodriguez ******-wise which has to count for something. I was still in school when the Cards hosted the All-Star Game and that Sunday night before the game I believe Jeter was posting up at the Sol Lounge down the street from campus (buddy works there and texted us around 1AM that he had showed up with a couple people). Needless to say we went to check it out and he definitely gave off the Michael Jordan "that is easily the coolest guy in the room" vibe.

Also Metz if you're going to point out the Red Sox high payroll you should also mention the Phillies -

New York Yankees $ 202,689,028

Philadelphia Phillies $ 172,976,379

Boston Red Sox $ 161,762,475

Los Angeles Angels $ 138,543,166

Chicago White Sox $ 127,789,000

Chicago Cubs $ 125,047,329

New York Mets $ 118,847,309

San Francisco Giants $ 118,198,333

Minnesota Twins $ 112,737,000

Detroit Tigers $ 105,700,231

St. Louis Cardinals $ 105,433,572

Los Angeles Dodgers $ 104,188,999

while i typically hate all things yankme, i do not hate jeter.

he has spent most of his career winning. and he was typically in the middle of the success bigtime. his cutoff in the playoff game in 2001 (tino martinez actually missed the real cutoff) of the throw from right field and then nip the runner at the plate still amazes me everytime i see it. why was he there? i dont know maybe because he is a winner? a winner that makes plays when he has to for his team to win. or at least it sure seems that is the case.

add to these intangibles his actual statistics as rican says, no denying jeter of first ballot hall of famer.

last, the guy is class. rarely is jeter in the middle of controversay or negative publicity off the field and in this day and age of self centered sports stars, that is rare indeed. especially in new york city.

i'll take a million jeter's.

Tino didn't miss it, Shane Spencer uncorked a bad throw from right field. I remember being asked to leave a bar down on the Landing during the game because I went absolutely ape $hit when that play happened. Love it.

can't deny they spend money, however, when you spend all that money .... far more than anyone else.... Over the last 10 years they've averaged 188 million per year while the Red Sox have averaged 130 mil per year. Over 30% less. Yet, the Yanks have just 1 World Series to show for it. Look when you can buy the best talent every year, yes, you should win every year. They averaged 58 million a year more than the next closest team. It's like adding 3 extra all-stars to your team every year. I guess they needed 4.

The SLU soccer topic interested me in this thread, apparently we have gone far off topic. In any manner, the facts above end this argument. Facts tend to do that to people who just spout their biased views on forums. Not surprised this individual has a Fox News logo has his avatar....fitting.

By the way, awesome clip of Ream.

Patrick

Jeter is probably an HOFer, but he was at no time the best player or the most valuable player even on his own team.

First ballot. Almost impossible for him to be the best player on that team with Mo as the closer. He maybe the most dominate player of his era.

can't deny they spend money, however, when you spend all that money .... far more than anyone else.... Over the last 10 years they've averaged 188 million per year while the Red Sox have averaged 130 mil per year. Over 30% less. Yet, the Yanks have just 1 World Series to show for it. Look when you can buy the best talent every year, yes, you should win every year. They averaged 58 million a year more than the next closest team. It's like adding 3 extra all-stars to your team every year. I guess they needed 4.

I like you Skip but this is silly. I am done with this argument. Off to run a marathon on the treadmill.

Hey DoucheFag. Get back to poppin 05's pimples with your pecker and stop including me in your dumba$$ comments.

Randy

when's the last time you've contributed something related to SLU to the board?

these stupid 05 jokes are getting really old. in fact, they haven't been funny once.

Jeter is probably an HOFer, but he was at no time the best player or the most valuable player even on his own team.

I am going to have to disagree with this statement. I would say that during the following seasons, he was the best/most valuable player on his team:

1998 - Led the team in runs, hits and 3B, 2nd in AVG, OBP and SB, 3rd in OPS, 4th in SLG, 5th in HR and RBI

1999 - Led the team in runs, hits, AVG, 3B, OBP, SLG and OPS, 2nd in 2B, BB and SB, 3rd in HR, 4th in RBI

2000 - Led the team in runs, hits, AVG and SB, 2nd in OBP, 3rd in SLG, OPS and BB, 4th in 2B

2006 - Led the team in runs, hits, AVG, OBP and SB, 2nd in 2B, 3rd in OPS, BB and RBI

2009 - Led the team in runs, hits, AVG, OBP and SB. (This season might be a stretch as lineup was extremely loaded and balanced.)

In all five of these seasons, Jeter placed in the top 10 in MVP voting. In four of them, he was the top vote getter among Yankees. The exception was 2009 when Texeira finished 2nd and Jeter 3rd. However, Jeter's WAR was 6.5 to Texeira's 5.9. Also, in four of these five seasons, the Yankees won the World Series. In my opinion, I just don't think you can say that Jeter was never the best or most valuable player on his team.

Unless you bring a superior glove...... You are never the best player on your team when you finish third on your team in OPS.

He played on the same team every year as MO and isn't close to MO in importance to the Yankees. He has played the last several years with Arod who his still a better shortstop than him. He played during one of Roger's most dominating seasons.

Unless you bring a superior glove...... You are never the best player on your team when you finish third on your team in OPS.

He played on the same team every year as MO and isn't close to MO in importance to the Yankees. He has played the last several years with Arod who his still a better shortstop than him. He played during one of Roger's most dominating seasons.

To be honest, I was only looking at position players and not pitchers. My opinion remains the same based on Yankees position players. It also seems like you are using OPS as the one defining stat of offensive value, which is a pretty narrow viewpoint.

Like I mentioned, MO might be the best player of his era. Certainly the most dominate.

To say ARod is still or even a few years ago a better shortstop then Jeter is ridiculous. Coming from someone who watching about 100+ Yankee games a year I can tell you Jeter is a much better defender. ARod had problems catching popups a few years back.