An Entertaining 2 Minutes and 25 Seconds

thetorch

if you could, please detail exactly what rickma is doing to build this long term program.

does he represent completely saint louis university in the community as an ambassador of the school? not very often. in fact he has publically come out against the school on a number of occasions.

has he enhanced saint louis university's relationship with the local and national media? other than an occaisional visit with bernie m and frank c he pretty much shuns the media. he even went as far as rip our own bob ramsey and now refuses to do the post game interviews if it involves ramsey.

long term program would involve winning big. and i know that is what your rickma disciples blindly believe is coming. he does know basketball. anyone can see that. however this year in particular i have been very upset with the effort to win the game that the billikens would be playing that particular day. too often it is just doing the sazme old thing and nothing seems to be tweaked to try to win the game for the moment. the north carolina's and kansas and dukes are the programs that can say, "this is our game, we play it every time and you have to adjust to us." the likes of spoon, soderberg and romar won some big games in their time here and they did it with schemes and game plans specifically for that day's game. rarely do we see those adjustments in an effort to enhance our chance to win games for the moment.

i dont even want to get into all the player chasing that i believe is flat out wrong for so many reasons. forget about the promises to the players involved. forget about the negativity this shines on the university, if nothing else, it sets the billiken program up for negative recruiting opportunities against us.

building a program would also involve bridging communication within the athletic department to get all departments working together for a common cause. it's my understanding majerus doesnt even go to the departmental meetings and ignores athletic department communications. had he been more involved with the athletic department a good chance ellis academic fiasco never happens. maybe the incident reprecussions dont even happen. but as far as being a part and a leader of the athletic department all too often he is nothing more than a sulking pouting lone wolf as opposed to a leader of the department and school.

last, a long term program would be grooming coaches with the staff. setting the school up with a succession of head coaches to follow. while there is no doubt porter moser is a recruiter. porter moser is a good guy. and porter moser would do more to be an ambassador for the school and media than majerus even thinks about, but what about moser the basketball coach? are you ready to proclaim after his dress rehearsal this season this is the true heir apparent? surely you dont think jensen or harriman are the answer? who's our next coach? the likes of butler, gonzaqa and xavier have head coaches in training. not real sure that has been the case here the last four years.

but please, tell us about rickma building a program long term. i think you really mean to say rickma is going to have a real good season soon. i would tend to agree with that statement. but to say he is building anything is a farce.

i pray you are right and we are indeed building something. but i dont see it. so again, enlighten us.

Now this is how to hate on RM. Looks like Roy had a concentrated dose of Hatorade this morning with his breakfast.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we should have won the game against LaSalle, we had them. Another heartbreaker, we lost. Does it matter that much? RM probably lost it by benching JJ when we needed his "D" late in the game. He probably benched him for making multiple bonehead mistakes. I think we have lost a few games this year because RM sat some kids that went outside of acceptable parameters for RM's overall design. This is a teaching year.

I support him because he is our only chance to get to a higher level. The incident changed all that, or we would be top 25 - top 40 or so this yr. The long term plan was working, despite some of the RM haters pot shots.

So wait until next yr, we must hope they all come back. KM looks very likely, RM looks likely and WR looks probable. If RM leaves, so do a lot of our current freshmen and Manning will renege. Total collapse. Back to the drawing board. And if WR does not come back, we cannot make it to the top 25 or 40 or whatever.

FYI I do not like everything about RM (he is a flaming liberal Democrat!) and he does not have the energy to socialize and be accomodating to all of the media, and he should not have made the rant that started this thread. Not optimal. BUT I'll take the tradeoffs, he is getting 3* bigs and turning them into players... best crop of bigs ever, by far, at SLU. This should have been our breakout year.

Pretty fair post. I would disagree with the notion that if WR does not come back, we can't make it into the top 25-40. It would be a heckuva lot tougher for sure. But reasonable minds can differ on this point.

Yes we should have won the game against LaSalle, we had them. Another heartbreaker, we lost. Does it matter that much? RM probably lost it by benching JJ when we needed his "D" late in the game. He probably benched him for making multiple bonehead mistakes. I think we have lost a few games this year because RM sat some kids that went outside of acceptable parameters for RM's overall design. This is a teaching year.

I support him because he is our only chance to get to a higher level. The incident changed all that, or we would be top 25 - top 40 or so this yr. The long term plan was working, despite some what some of the RM haters say.

So wait until next yr, we must hope they all come back. KM looks very likely, RM looks likely and WR looks probable. If RM leaves, so do a lot of our current freshmen and Manning will renege. Total collapse. Back to the drawing board. And if WR does not come back, we cannot make it to the top 25 or 40 or whatever.

FYI I do not like everything about RM (he is a flaming liberal Democrat!) and he does not have the energy to socialize and be accomodating to all of the media, and he should not have made the rant that started this thread. Not optimal. BUT I'll take the tradeoffs, he is getting 3* bigs and turning them into players... best crop of bigs ever, by far, at SLU. This should have been our breakout year.

And Tonka, you have eased away from your obnoxious first post, thank you. Read it, your first entree on this thread, it was embarrasing. (RE: the towel comment... you wanna go there? OK, then I say you are what landed in the towel)

Please don't confuse who the RM haters are. You will not be able to prove that I have said anything about hating RM. I have supported RM from day one and still support him. I put my footer in shortly after RM got here and have kept it there for a reason.

My first post was purposely obnoxious because I think it is obnoxious for people to think because a guy is a HOF coach and has had so much success, that we can't criticize him.

It's also a shame that we rarely, if ever, hear of a media member calling out RM's mistakes. Or at least questioning why RM did this or that.

Jeff Gordon called him out and some people on this board got all over him. What he said was true.

if you could, please detail exactly what rickma is doing to build this long term program.

does he represent completely saint louis university in the community as an ambassador of the school? not very often. in fact he has publically come out against the school on a number of occasions.

has he enhanced saint louis university's relationship with the local and national media? other than an occaisional visit with bernie m and frank c he pretty much shuns the media. he even went as far as rip our own bob ramsey and now refuses to do the post game interviews if it involves ramsey.

long term program would involve winning big. and i know that is what your rickma disciples blindly believe is coming. he does know basketball. anyone can see that. however this year in particular i have been very upset with the effort to win the game that the billikens would be playing that particular day. too often it is just doing the sazme old thing and nothing seems to be tweaked to try to win the game for the moment. the north carolina's and kansas and dukes are the programs that can say, "this is our game, we play it every time and you have to adjust to us." the likes of spoon, soderberg and romar won some big games in their time here and they did it with schemes and game plans specifically for that day's game. rarely do we see those adjustments in an effort to enhance our chance to win games for the moment.

i dont even want to get into all the player chasing that i believe is flat out wrong for so many reasons. forget about the promises to the players involved. forget about the negativity this shines on the university, if nothing else, it sets the billiken program up for negative recruiting opportunities against us.

building a program would also involve bridging communication within the athletic department to get all departments working together for a common cause. it's my understanding majerus doesnt even go to the departmental meetings and ignores athletic department communications. had he been more involved with the athletic department a good chance ellis academic fiasco never happens. maybe the incident reprecussions dont even happen. but as far as being a part and a leader of the athletic department all too often he is nothing more than a sulking pouting lone wolf as opposed to a leader of the department and school.

last, a long term program would be grooming coaches with the staff. setting the school up with a succession of head coaches to follow. while there is no doubt porter moser is a recruiter. porter moser is a good guy. and porter moser would do more to be an ambassador for the school and media than majerus even thinks about, but what about moser the basketball coach? are you ready to proclaim after his dress rehearsal this season this is the true heir apparent? surely you dont think jensen or harriman are the answer? who's our next coach? the likes of butler, gonzaqa and xavier have head coaches in training. not real sure that has been the case here the last four years.

but please, tell us about rickma building a program long term. i think you really mean to say rickma is going to have a real good season soon. i would tend to agree with that statement. but to say he is building anything is a farce.

i pray you are right and we are indeed building something. but i dont see it. so again, enlighten us.

Thank you for doing your part to prove my point.

Triangle is perplexed about this whole situation and agrees with parts or whole in the postings above but reality is reality and "you are who you are".

1. Coach Majerus is extremely frustrated with this year. Off the court and on the court.

a. He recruited players that he thought could excell at Saint Louis University, both academically, morally and on the court.

b. Unfortunately, 2 players did not meet 1 or 2 of these standards, and the circumstances of university rules put the situation

out of the athletic department's control.

2. But still Coach Majerus is responible for his coaching.

a. Our Billikens have lost many close games this season, games they "could have" or "should have" won - but is that the nature

of sports? Coaching? Players? KM and WR were well coached players in their developement as "players". Were they well

coached as people in an university environment?

B. Triangle wants too see improvement. But improvement is synonymous with consistency. We have seen shorts spurts of

improvements in our game and individual performances but no consistency well intoo the season. Freshman?

Injuries? Coaching?

3. Assistant coaching - what do they do? There needs too be improvement in this area. Are they afraid too buck Coach

Majerus or has he surrounded himself with clones unwilling too input?

4. The Future - Triangle has used many question marks in Too's points but they will all be answered next year.

Because of the extraordinary circumstances of this year - Coach Majerus and our Billiken players will unleash

waves of experienced Billiken players on competition next year, no mercy. Lost year - yes - this time next year - celebration.

so it goes.

Biggest improvement for next year -FREE THROW SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for doing your part to prove my point.

thank you for the very detailed explanation of how exactly rickma is building a program.

What I see as the issue here is Roy doesn't like RM running his program like a business. The goal of this business is a high level winning program. When a player comes in, he's allowed to stay as long as RM deems he's helping him attain that goal. If he's not he'll be replaced by someone RM thinks will give him a better opportunity to attain that goal. Due to many reasons RM has a limited time to attain that goal and can't have patience with players who can't help him get there. Are these players told this coming in? I doubt it. Should they expect that? Yes. This shouldn't shock anyone in this situation. They aren't getting a free ride because the school thinks they're going to be community leaders or Nobel prize winners. They're getting a free ride because they can play basketball and help us attain our goal of having a high level program. They should realize that coming in. That's the way it is at high level programs.

Some high level programs can afford to waste a couple of places on the bench for noncontributers. SLU cannot because most of our recruits have flaws and are gambles. Thats why we are able to get them. Some overcome their flaws and turn in to top flight players. Others don't pan out. Hence the revolving door. That revolving door will remain until we get to the point we can get higher level recruits with higher probabilities of success.

RM treats his players fair. If they perform they are rewarded. If they don't they are given counseling and placement assistance in attaining other employment, if desired. If they can't continue do to things beyond their control, i.e. Injury, they are allowed to continue on scholarship in a nonplaying status.

Would we like it to be different? Sure, we would like every player to succeed at a high level, but that's not going to happen.

Those are the realities for RM and this program. Accept them or complain about them, but that's what were stuck with.

Km, that is a big part of my dislike. Imo he recruits them it is his job to coach them up not cream every recruiting class and cut the rest.

However, my bigger complaint is his lack of attention to his pathetic attention to the offcourt expectations of a hea coach. He is the furtherest thing from an ambassador to saint louis university, he has set us back 25 years with the media, beyond about prob 10 boosters he doesn't interact with the fans, he doesn't work with the athletic dept. He hasn't done anythng to set the program for the days after rickma. How often does he speak out publically against his own players and slu? How about taking responsibility at least once in awhile. Nothing is ever his fault.

Besides that he does a good job.

Km, that is a big part of my dislike. Imo he recruits them it is his job to coach them up not cream every recruiting class and cut the rest.

However, my bigger complaint is his lack of attention to his pathetic attention to the offcourt expectations of a hea coach. He is the furtherest thing from an ambassador to saint louis university, he has set us back 25 years with the media, beyond about prob 10 boosters he doesn't interact with the fans, he doesn't work with the athletic dept. He hasn't done anythng to set the program for the days after rickma. How often does he speak out publically against his own players and slu? How about taking responsibility at least once in awhile. Nothing is ever his fault.

Besides that he does a good job.

Roy - Get a hobby.

Maybe you should read again. You're missing the point. We continue to hear over and over again that we're young, too much travel, no chartered flights, etc. It's all about excuses and never any accountability from the Coach. I was simply stating that the excuses are piling up and becoming asinine. If we want to make asinine excuses we could reach and say that about Coach's health. You totally missed the point.

In regards to me being an RM hater, then go back and reread all my posts from this season and every season RM is here and you will see an I am no RM hater. Heck, read my footer on all my posts.

However, you fall into the category of the biased blind fan with zero credibility because you never argue anything objectively.

+1

I have been really impressed by the development of the team and most of the individual players the last month or so. They are really doing a nice job moving the ball and running Majerus's version of the motion offense. At the beginning of the season, several of the newcombers were really bad defenders, and now our defense is very good. Plus, the individual development of these guys, particularly Corey, Dwayne, and Rob, has been outstanding. While the losses are piling up with our finisher watching from the bench, this year's coaching and development has been top-notch.

I have been really impressed by the development of the team and most of the individual players the last month or so. They are really doing a nice job moving the ball and running Majerus's version of the motion offense, At the beginning of the season several of the newcombers were really bad defenders, and now our defense is very good. Plus, the individual development of these guys, particularly Corey, Dwayne, and Rob, has been outstanding. While the losses are piling up with our finisher watching from the bench, this year's coaching and development has been top-notch.

Agreed. The fact that a freshman 6'5" forward is able to pull out a 21-15 game against a very good team like Richmond on the road speaks volumes.

Agreed. The fact that a freshman 6'5" forward is able to pull out a 21-15 game against a very good team like Richmond on the road speaks volumes.

What makes these freshmen class so exciting is that it seem like each game we seem to have a freshman hero (unfortunately we usually suffer a loss). Recall games when JJ, RL and MM also had excellent games.

I am excited about the future and what Rick has done.

Even if we lose PE to med school we will

not lose our best players to graduatio. This

was such a startover year because we lost

Our two go to guys but like in a big graduation

Year we lost Reid, injury; Femi, injured;

JJ, Js, WR, KM, all to the incident- all of them

should have returned as players scoring

5-6 points or more except Reid who would have

been a redshift freshman