The Future is STILL Bright

ACE

I know some people are freaking out after last night, but get a grip. The future is still very bright. While the loss was disappointing, I came away feeling even more optimisitic about next year. We played a lot of games like this last year and won most of them. In fact, the first 35 minutes of this game seemed very similar to the first 35 minutes of last year's game against URI at Chaifetz. What was the difference? Last year, KM controlled the last five minutes with setting up teammates, making a big basket and generally controlling the game. We just don't get that consistency yet from the kids to close out games.

Take a look at the big picture. Last night, we start the game with three freshmen going head-to-head with their three seniors. Their seniors helped them pull out the game. While a lot of A-10 programs will be graduating key seniors, we won't. Plus, no other A-10 program will be able to match our influx of experienced talent combined with a talented group of freshmen who have gained a lot of valuable experience this year. Jett, McCall and Evans are showing that they can already hold their own against much more experienced players. The only thing missing is the consistency, but it is getting better. Great game by Jordair. Next year, we are set up to quickly pass most other A-10 teams and be among the contenders. Support these kids the rest of the way. This "situation" and how poorly it was handled is not their fault.

Take a look at the big picture. Last night, we start the game with three freshmen going head-to-head with their three seniors.

This, big time. We really did a good job on defense last night before James strapped on the nba jam shoes and became their whole offense. No sense in throwing in the towel after a 2 point loss to a Rhody team with experience.

This, big time. We really did a good job on defense last night before James strapped on the nba jam shoes and became their whole offense. No sense in throwing in the towel after a 2 point loss to a Rhody team with experience.

Frosh vs Seniors = Lambs vs Wolves (unless the frosh play for Kentucky, Ohio St., UNC, Kansas, Duke)

Frosh vs Seniors = Lambs vs Wolves (unless the frosh play for Kentucky, Ohio St., UNC, Kansas, Duke)

didnt matter who guarded james. he ate them alive. conklin, remeken, evans, jett and cassity all took at least a turn trying to guard him. didnt matter. no one could stop him. in hindsight, barron is an idiot for not clearing out the rest of the players earlier in the game.

another thing i liked about james was i dont recall him acting like an A$$ after scoring (at will). i also saw him smile and tap a few of the little guys at halftime as they came off the court.

Yep. But at the same time, it's important to realize the level of talent our freshmen have compared to other "slu-level" schools. For example, JJ went 7-10 from the floor, with the 3 misses being his final 3 shots... Also, Evans playing like a man child grabbing some good boards and being a bruiser on D.

In related news, that reverse layup by Jett was filthy.

another thing i liked about james was i dont recall him acting like an A$$ after scoring (at will). i also saw him smile and tap a few of the little guys at halftime as they came off the court.

I commented to kshoe about that last night. That it was pretty cool for them.

Admittedly, I have not seen Bonaventure's Nicholson this year, but I felt James made a pretty good case for being the best forward/big in the conference. Both Lavoy Allen and Chris Wright have not impressed me the way James did last night.

jett had a couple of reverse layups but i assume you are talking about the one where cassity beats his man, then whips the very hard pass to a streaking jett on the baseline. the pass was a little low and to jett's left, yet he catches it, puts it up on the reverse layup. the catch was probably better than the layup.

jett had a couple of reverse layups but i assume you are talking about the one where cassity beats his man, then whips the very hard pass to a streaking jett on the baseline. the pass was a little low and to jett's left, yet he catches it, puts it up on the reverse layup. the catch was probably better than the layup.

Agreed. That was a very tough pass to catch and Jett did a great job both catching and then making the reverse layup.

Agreed. That was a very tough pass to catch and Jett did a great job both catching and then making the reverse layup.

i dont think the rams have a receiver that makes that catch let alone score.

didnt matter who guarded james. he ate them alive. conklin, remeken, evans, jett and cassity all took at least a turn trying to guard him. didnt matter. no one could stop him. in hindsight, barron is an idiot for not clearing out the rest of the players earlier in the game.

It was a very impressive showing. Was it just me or did it seem the RI guards started pouting a little at the end about the ISOs? I remember on one play Richmond handed the ball to James beyond the 3 point line and then went and stood over by the RI bench with his hands on his hips, waiting for James to drive and shoot it. And another time, out by halfcourt, James came out for the ball and the guard didn't want to give it to him at first.

If it's working, you have to run it till the Bills stop it, but I know that can be frustrating for the rest of the team. Still, it got them a W.

It was a very impressive showing. Was it just me or did it seem the RI guards started pouting a little at the end about the ISOs? I remember on one play Richmond handed the ball to James beyond the 3 point line and then went and stood over by the RI bench with his hands on his hips, waiting for James to drive and shoot it. And another time, out by halfcourt, James came out for the ball and the guard didn't want to give it to him at first.

If it's working, you have to run it till the Bills stop it, but I know that can be frustrating for the rest of the team. Still, it got them a W.

Richmond is a little d. He whined when he had to give up the ball on one possession. It was great. CS did a great job on him.

I was half expecting them to call a timeout take the nylon nets down at the RI end and put up some chain nets.

I know some people are freaking out after last night, but get a grip. The future is still very bright. While the loss was disappointing, I came away feeling even more optimisitic about next year. We played a lot of games like this last year and won most of them. In fact, the first 35 minutes of this game seemed very similar to the first 35 minutes of last year's game against URI at Chaifetz. What was the difference? Last year, KM controlled the last five minutes with setting up teammates, making a big basket and generally controlling the game. We just don't get that consistency yet from the kids to close out games.

Take a look at the big picture. Last night, we start the game with three freshmen going head-to-head with their three seniors. Their seniors helped them pull out the game. While a lot of A-10 programs will be graduating key seniors, we won't. Plus, no other A-10 program will be able to match our influx of experienced talent combined with a talented group of freshmen who have gained a lot of valuable experience this year. Jett, McCall and Evans are showing that they can already hold their own against much more experienced players. The only thing missing is the consistency, but it is getting better. Great game by Jordair. Next year, we are set up to quickly pass most other A-10 teams and be among the contenders. Support these kids the rest of the way. This "situation" and how poorly it was handled is not their fault.

+1

Evans did the best and didn't see the floor during his end of the game one on one show. I couldn't figure that one out.

Timmermann had an interesting observation in his blog and it supports my original point. We really are not that far away. We are losing those close games this year, that KM consistently helped us win last year with his play late in games. KC has not filled that void and JJ and MM are not quite there yet.

"SLU is now 1-4 in games decided by four points or less -- 62-64 to Austin Peay, 59-61 to Georgia, 53-57 to Temple, 57-59 to Rhode Island, with a 58-55 win over IUPUI -- and I think in its case, it's a little more than bad luck. In the first three of those losses, SLU led by at least eight points. Against Austin Peay, SLU scored four points in the final 5:42 of the game. Against Georgia, SLU scored four points in the final 5:01 of the game. Against Temple, SLU scored four points in the final 3:51 of the game. And against Rhode Island, SLU scored three points in the last 4:48, and that was a concession 3 with under a second to go. And in each of those cases, SLU was ahead when it stopped scoring.

It's pretty clear that SLU lacks someone it can count on to score down the stretch, or someone to create a chance to score."

Timmermann had an interesting observation in his blog and it supports my original point. We really are not that far away. We are losing those close games this year, that KM consistently helped us win last year with his play late in games. KC has not filled that void and JJ and MM are not quite there yet.

"SLU is now 1-4 in games decided by four points or less -- 62-64 to Austin Peay, 59-61 to Georgia, 53-57 to Temple, 57-59 to Rhode Island, with a 58-55 win over IUPUI -- and I think in its case, it's a little more than bad luck. In the first three of those losses, SLU led by at least eight points. Against Austin Peay, SLU scored four points in the final 5:42 of the game. Against Georgia, SLU scored four points in the final 5:01 of the game. Against Temple, SLU scored four points in the final 3:51 of the game. And against Rhode Island, SLU scored three points in the last 4:48, and that was a concession 3 with under a second to go. And in each of those cases, SLU was ahead when it stopped scoring.

It's pretty clear that SLU lacks someone it can count on to score down the stretch, or someone to create a chance to score."

Yep. KM is the real missing ingredient this season. The team has been able to deal with the loss of WR to keep them in games, but needs a closer like KM to secure the W.

Yep. KM is the real missing ingredient this season. The team has been able to deal with the loss of WR to keep them in games, but needs a closer like KM to secure the W.

Hard to say whether losing KM or WR has hurt us worse but imo we win the Portland, MO State, and Rhode Island games with WR because rebounding killed us in all three games.