John Manning

GoBills. Agree 100%. What give's BW the right to come on this Board and trash our new 17 year old recruit before he even finishes his Senior year in highschool? BW has not seen Manning play. Instead, he writes that Manning some unnamed expert thinks Manning is just not that good, that he is really a low-level D1 recruit and that he will transfer. WOW!! If he has the reputation and credential Torch indicates, then should he also be more responsible in his reporting. Maybe watch the kid play, talk to his coaches, talk with other who coached against him, talk with local reporters, talk with other experts. Even if BW turns out to be correct, I still say such post is irresponsible. And didn't this Board frown upon threads discussing the possiblity (in general terms based upon RM's track record and not naming individual names b/c they could/should transfer) that current players could transfer.

Who trashed the recruit? You want him to ask coaches, reporters, experts, that is exactly what he did. Only that person's opinion wasn't what you liked so you want to trash this poster personally. Then you say that any evaluation of a recruit that is negative is irresponsible? C'mon that is ridiculous.

And further, without any personal observation or real investigation, BW's comments actually contradict Nate's own story from a month ago writing about Manning impressed Paul Biancardi (former D1 head coach (Wright State), former lead Assistant/Recruiter (Ohio State) and former SLU assistant. Oh I get it. Biancardi, RM, the other schools to offer... they are all wrong.

This was mentioned in contrast to this opposing scout. Really it is just another scouts opinion he was offering up, nothing more nothing less. I really have no idea why you take it so personally.

Oh, and again, I am sorry. Forgot that some want me to look the other way, allow our recruit to be trashed on this Board before he even finishes his Senior year in highschool much less sets foot on Frost Campus all so that we don't offend Nate b/c he then might not give this Board a free tip/post. Get real.

Your definition of trash must be a lot different than mine. I value posters like Nate, BWBillikenReport, and P Diddy because they have actual firsthand knowledge unlike the vast majority of posters here who don't go to games, support the program, or watch and evaluate local recruits but I'm sure none of those posters participated in this thread. :rolleyes:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is good that there are different perspectives and we shouldn't expect everything to be sugar-coated Billiken blue, however, there are a few things about some of the comments that bother me. The one I bolded for example. You seem to be saying this as fact, based on the opinion of one scout. As you pointed out earlier, Biancardi, plus Majerus and staff clearly have a different opinion. It is too soon to say which one is right. Also, the approach that you are taking that you need to set the record straight because he is highly rated or some people think he will make an immediate impact - I just don't see it. Most of the comments I have read by Bills fans are that he is more of a developmental player, who will likely need some time. I think we get it. I hope you continue to post and it is good to hear one scout's opinion, but don't get your feelings hurt if some people will disagree.

GoBills, this is the comment that bothered me a bit as well. While he may be just offering one analyst's opinion, he did present this as if it is a factual statement.

Who trashed the recruit? You want him to ask coaches, reporters, experts, that is exactly what he did. Only that person's opinion wasn't what you liked so you want to trash this poster personally. Then you say that any evaluation of a recruit that is negative is irresponsible? C'mon that is ridiculous.

This was mentioned in contrast to this opposing scout. Really it is just another scouts opinion he was offering up, nothing more nothing less. I really have no idea why you take it so personally.

Your definition of trash must be a lot different than mine. I value posters like Nate, BWBillikenReport, and P Diddy because they have actual firsthand knowledge unlike the vast majority of posters here who don't go to games, support the program, or watch and evaluate local recruits but I'm sure none of those posters participated in this thread. :rolleyes:

Torch. We now know your sacred cow. Relax a bit guy. Comments like: "Apparently he's just not that good." regarding a high school Senior based on the casual reading of box score and some unnamed expert, in my opinion, is unfairly "trashing" a kid. You are free to have your own opinion as well. We all know that recruits along with their friends and family read this Board, so I ask, why the comments?

Quite possibly BW simply is young, experienced and lacks tact instead of being a troll. Apparently, BW wanted to let us know that Manning is not tearing it up on his highschool team. If so, why not simply pass that information along. Even the comment from the unnamed expert could have been presented with more tact. The "Apparently, he's just not that good" is, IMO, out of line. I make no apology for coming to the defense of Manning. If some Mizzou, MO State or SIUC poster came on this Board and said Manning is no good, is low level D1 and will probably have to transfer, we'd all say that person is a troll. In fact, it doesn't appear that even you would quarrel with the "out of left field" negative comments of BW. Instead, your concern appears to be more "please, guys, don't offend this guy b/c he has knowledge..." And BTW, why bring "PDiddy's name into this discussion? PDiddy would never write a post like BW. Is that part of your superior wit? Want to try again and tell us what you really meant to say?

As to the merits of Manning, I simply don't know how good he is. Doesn't sound like BW has a clue either. Unlike BW, though, I have not written negative posts about a high school kid w/o any real basis. Quite possibly, Manning is not on a good highschool team. Without good guards, how does a 7 footer get the ball? to score? Possibly his fellow teammates/guards are not keeping the defense honest and the opposing teams are collaspsing on Manning. BTW, what scouts are still basing their opinions on regular highschool games? My understanding is that most evaluations are based upon a kid's play on his AAU or select team.

Guest BillikenReport

Torch,

Thanks for the kind words.

Clock,

I don't know what I did to make you so mad. Sorry.

As for the others who don't like my site, that's fine. I tried to provide coverage of the program that wasn't available anywhere else and I think we did that. I know some people here think I should do all of that work for free but I wasn't able to do that. Sorry.

The site hasn't been nearly as successful as I'd hoped. So maybe soon the site will go back to the way things were before I got involved.

I've mostly stopped posting here because of all negative stuff over the years. I'm embarrassed for the good people involved with this board, like Steve and Nark, for the junk they have to deal with.

Thanks to everyone for the pleasant and thought-invoking conversations over the years. I appreciate it.

- Nate

I was not happy with what was said about JM. An opinion is fine, but I just think we should give the kid a break especially since he's not even suited up for us.

However, I was thinking about something. People get offended when somebody else talks negative about our recruits, but we seem to have no issue doing it with our own players. RM said Loe would take a while to develop and go back and read what has been said about Loe on this board this season.

Posters are coming forward and admitting that JM will be a project. I wonder how long they will think that once he suits up.

Torch,

Thanks for the kind words.

Clock,

I don't know what I did to make you so mad. Sorry.

As for the others who don't like my site, that's fine. I tried to provide coverage of the program that wasn't available anywhere else and I think we did that. I know some people here think I should do all of that work for free but I wasn't able to do that. Sorry.

The site hasn't been nearly as successful as I'd hoped. So maybe soon the site will go back to the way things were before I got involved.

I've mostly stopped posting here because of all negative stuff over the years. I'm embarrassed for the good people involved with this board, like Steve and Nark, for the junk they have to deal with.

Thanks to everyone for the pleasant and thought-invoking conversations over the years. I appreciate it.

- Nate

Nate, ..I for one have always appreciated your posting on the board even though you are running your own site. I really don't see how anyone could begrudge your desire to make a little bit of money doing what you trained to do your whole life. If I had the money I would join up myself. In the meantime don't let the haters get you down.

Seriously, all grading and rating of young players are subjective. Some scouts like kids where others may not. It really does not matter what anyone outside of our program says about him. He is coming here and we will welcome him with open arms. BW was passing along someone elses opinion. JM will be a Billiken next year so rather than attack someone personally (BW and Nate), why not root for the young man that will be a part of our program for the 4 years. Personal attacks are ridiculous.

So you post a quote from an anonymous analyst.....why ?

We have no way to judge this analyst. Out with his name or don't post......

He needs to protect his sources. Otherwise his sources may have to work the concession stands at the HS games rather than tweet recruiting updates.

It is on twitter here is his page Jeff Borzello. Go to Jan 16th.

OK. So a grad student who works for a site called NBE and also freelances for Rivals connects with BW and tells him that he doesn't really like Manning because he has a line drive shot and terrible footwork. He does say that Manning can block shots. He also says he hasn't seen him play. Thus, how is this guy any different than any of us on this board? Why should we even care about his opinion or critique if he hasn't even seem him play a game in person?

OK. So a grad student who works for a site called NBE and also freelances for Rivals connects with BW and tells him that he doesn't really like Manning because he has a line drive shot and terrible footwork. He does say that Manning can block shots. He also says he hasn't seen him play. Thus, how is this guy any different than any of us on this board? Why should we even care about his opinion or critique if he hasn't even seem him play a game in person?

Twitter timelines can be confusing but read it again. BW asked him about another recruit and he mentioned he hasn't seen him, not Manning. He's seen Manning play numerous times in AAU ball. Read his work on Rivals, NBE, or his own site. It's quality.

Actually the quote is NOT there. I doubt he said those words! Below is what he has said

John Manning, 2011, Chantilly: The 7-foot center has the potential to be one of the better big men in the mid-Atlantic region in his class. He needs to put on some muscle, but he runs the floor well, can finish at the rim with contact and also has very solid hands for a player his size. Manning also showed a soft touch from the mid-range, hitting a couple of face-up jump shots. He can block shots defensively, and boxes out well for rebounds. Additionally, Manning knows how to keep the ball up and also looks for teammates with the pass once he gets the ball. He gets good position down low and moves very well without the ball. Once he makes himself available, he has a variety of post moves that he uses to score. Manning is prone to foul trouble, though, as evidenced by him fouling out against Iona Prep."

He scored just eight points in Chantilly's last game and is only averaging 10.7 ppg this season.

A recruiting analyst who has seen him a lot lately told me this:

"Wait to see how long it takes him to transfer to a low-major school. He won't last at SLU."

Kind of interesting to hear from such a highly-praised player. Especially since Paul Biancardi (former SLU asst coach and current ESPN National Recruiter) thinks a lot of the kid.

He scored just eight points in Chantilly's last game and is only averaging 10.7 ppg this season.

A recruiting analyst who has seen him a lot lately told me this:

"Wait to see how long it takes him to transfer to a low-major school. He won't last at SLU."

Kind of interesting to hear from such a highly-praised player. Especially since Paul Biancardi (former SLU asst coach and current ESPN National Recruiter) thinks a lot of the kid.

I do not think we need this from you. Are you affilliated with Nate? If so, why would you do this? What is your agenda? Nate provides a service for a price, and that is fine, but perhaps you should not post here to stimulate discussion and self promote his business. Majerus has national contacts, and has shown he knows how to bring in a diamond in the rough BIG (WR) and turn them into good players. The opinion of an anonymous recruiting analyst to take a shot at the kid before he gets here is not appropriate.

Twitter timelines can be confusing but read it again. BW asked him about another recruit and he mentioned he hasn't seen him, not Manning. He's seen Manning play numerous times in AAU ball. Read his work on Rivals, NBE, or his own site. It's quality.

Torch,

Thanks for the clarification. I agree, Twitter timelines are confusing and I bunched all the comments together.

Just to let people know, I checked with Nate when BW registered. Nate gave him the okay.

I think it is probably best if we just drop this issue and focus on seeing how we can get the Billikens above .500 again.

Actually the quote is NOT there. I doubt he said those words! Below is what he has said

John Manning, 2011, Chantilly: The 7-foot center has the potential to be one of the better big men in the mid-Atlantic region in his class. He needs to put on some muscle, but he runs the floor well, can finish at the rim with contact and also has very solid hands for a player his size. Manning also showed a soft touch from the mid-range, hitting a couple of face-up jump shots. He can block shots defensively, and boxes out well for rebounds. Additionally, Manning knows how to keep the ball up and also looks for teammates with the pass once he gets the ball. He gets good position down low and moves very well without the ball. Once he makes himself available, he has a variety of post moves that he uses to score. Manning is prone to foul trouble, though, as evidenced by him fouling out against Iona Prep."

part of Biondi's vision is we are able to bring in recruits on the East coast where the A10 is a dominant educator

under RM's system he will be lucky if he is six foot nine