League RPI

Tonite I noted that the A10 as a league is in 7th place in the Ken Pomeroy RPI standings. That ranking sets us apart from the Pac10 (9th), CUSA (12th), every media's favorite MVC (14th) and the West Coast with Gonzaga et al, including Portland (15th). Where is the chatter regarding best league for SLU now?

Our RPI (161) improved some 30 pts with our win over Jacksonville Wed nite. When we score a huge upset at MoState Saturday, it will do yet another large jump. The next four games IMHO will determine whether our two second semester potential additions will red shirt or attempt to play this year. Ken Pom predicts a 15 pt loss for our Bills on Sat.

mhg

Tonite I noted that the A10 as a league is in 7th place in the Ken Pomeroy RPI standings. That ranking sets us apart from the Pac10 (9th), CUSA (12th), every media's favorite MVC (14th) and the West Coast with Gonzaga et al, including Portland (15th). Where is the chatter regarding best league for SLU now?

Our RPI (161) improved some 30 pts with our win over Jacksonville Wed nite. When we score a huge upset at MoState Saturday, it will do yet another large jump. The next four games IMHO will determine whether our two second semester potential additions will red shirt or attempt to play this year. Ken Pom predicts a 15 pt loss for our Bills on Sat.

mhg

I would imagine WR is going to play if he's back.

How do you think our play will affect KM? I mean if we do well, he's gonna want to join because he knows we can go even further with him. If we don't play well, he's gonna want to come step in and help out. I think it's going to come down to factors outside our teams play.

Regardless, next few weeks will definitely be important. Missouri State will be a huge and very tough game.

mhg

It will be blissfully nowhere if folks would stop bringing it up.

I will sure be happy third week of 2nd semester

We will adjust to playing with the players

We have and stop all this wishing our lives

Away.

The last 15 minutes of the Jax game could

Be a rerun and I would happily watch it over

And over trying to see the transformation of our

Current players from unenthusiastic to aggressive,

Efficient basketball players who looked in better

Shape than the opponents

We would need to be in top 80 RPI, post season 4/5 years, and packed houses regularly to get that done. And a TV package that has a decent market share. Beating up on MoState (dxxmn, I wish we had WR and KM for this game!) will help tremendously.

mhg

Marquette who stayed within 5 of Duke, is 175 on RPI. They also are currently ranked 1st in the Big East (record).

mhg

How bad has the Pac 10 become over tha past few years? I know things will change, but we're more than halfway through December and their rpi is behind the Colonial. They're starting to look like a 2 or maybe 3-bid conference.

...And Marquette's track record thus far is 5th place or better out of 16 every year they've been in the Big East since joining and NCAA's. They also have double-digit games remaining against the current RPI top 50 to improve that RPI. They are perhaps an example of what to do once in a BCS league. But they are apples to oranges with SLU. Their revenue, budget, commitment, success, league, tv exposure etc...are apples to oranges with SLU.

How bad has the Pac 10 become over tha past few years? I know things will change, but we're more than halfway through December and their rpi is behind the Colonial. They're starting to look like a 2 or maybe 3-bid conference.

The Pac-10 has a lot of new coaches who are early in their programs, with young players. Lorenzo Romar's Washington Huskies are the class of the league. UCLA, Arizona, and USC are all building. USC came close to winning at Kansas today, losing 70-68.

San Diego State from the Mountain West is one of the best teams in the West. I saw them beat Cal 77-57 at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, which is a very difficult venue for an opposing team. So far, the Mountain West may be better than the Pac-10 this season.

The Pac-10 has a lot of new coaches who are early in their programs, with young players. Lorenzo Romar's Washington Huskies are the class of the league. UCLA, Arizona, and USC are all building. USC came close to winning at Kansas today, losing 70-68.

San Diego State from the Mountain West is one of the best teams in the West. I saw them beat Cal 77-57 at Haas Pavilion in Berkeley, which is a very difficult venue for an opposing team. So far, the Mountain West may be better than the Pac-10 this season.

The Pac 10 won't be down for long.

Washington is good. UCLA will be very good again soon. Arizona is getting excellent recruiting from Miller and will be very good again soon. Oregon is spending a lot of money to develop its program. Montgomery and Sendek can coach and need some players. After sanctions and turmoil O'Neill will turn around USC and make them competitive.

Washington St lost the Bennett's

Oregon became a mess...new building will be a lot more revenue

Arizona became a mess but will be elite soon

UCLA lost a lot of players after great success but will be elite soon.

USC NCAA trouble but will be solid soon.

Montgomery is too good of a coach to not be competitive at Cal

Now is the time to beat up on the Pac 10.

The Pac 10 won't be down for long.

Washington is good. UCLA will be very good again soon. Arizona is getting excellent recruiting from Miller and will be very good again soon. Oregon is spending a lot of money to develop its program. Montgomery and Sendek can coach and need some players. After sanctions and turmoil O'Neill will turn around USC and make them competitive.

Washington St lost the Bennett's

Oregon became a mess...new building will be a lot more revenue

Arizona became a mess but will be elite soon

UCLA lost a lot of players after great success but will be elite soon.

USC NCAA trouble but will be solid soon.

Montgomery is too good of a coach to not be competitive at Cal

Now is the time to beat up on the Pac 10.

I agree with everything except the USC comments. I just dont see Kevin O'Neill as a quality coach. I dont see him ruining the program but I dont see him finishing above 4th or 5th ever especially when I think everything else you stated is true.

I agree with everything except the USC comments. I just dont see Kevin O'Neill as a quality coach. I dont see him ruining the program but I dont see him finishing above 4th or 5th ever especially when I think everything else you stated is true.

Coaching the game is the least of K.O.'S problems. He is a very good coach as well as recruiter. Playing nice with others has been among his problems. He worked wonders at Marquette inheriting a mess and getting little support. NCAA appearances, led the nation in field goal percentage defense...current assistant Tony Miller is top ten all time in assists. Multiple NBA players, NCAA's and laid the foundation for several winning seasons. He did the same at challenging Tennessee which went on to four 20 win seasons. Understands the game well. Runs a clean program something USC needs.

He's a good coach and good recruiter. His issues...and he has some... are not coaching ability and recruiting. He surprised many in his first season there while being handcuffed. They beat Texas recently, played KU tough on the road. He knows how to turn around programs.

Coaching the game is the least of K.O.'S problems. He is a very good coach as well as recruiter. Playing nice with others has been among his problems. He worked wonders at Marquette inheriting a mess and getting little support. NCAA appearances, led the nation in field goal percentage defense...current assistant Tony Miller is top ten all time in assists. Multiple NBA players, NCAA's and laid the foundation for several winning seasons. He did the same at challenging Tennessee which went on to four 20 win seasons. Understands the game well. Runs a clean program something USC needs.

He's a good coach and good recruiter. His issues...and he has some... are not coaching ability and recruiting. He surprised many in his first season there while being handcuffed. They beat Texas recently, played KU tough on the road. He knows how to turn around programs.

Caught the USC-KU game. thought the Trojans might pull it off.

When I used to live in Johnson City TN, I attended a businessmans breakfast in Knoxville which KO was the guest speaker. Met him after the event, real nice guy. Unfortunately, he never really was comfortable with Rocky Top culture which lead to premature departure. Now Pearl, he's embraced it and constantly sucks up to Pat Summitt. He's made other mistakes B)

I do have to hand it to KO, the man is a survivor in the dog-eat-dog world of upper level division 1 basketball coaching.

The Valley should be the goal. If we could get you and Butler we would really have something. Our conference tourney is better than the A10 and St. Louis is the hub of the league. It would do wonders for sports like softball and baseball too.

Why would Butler want to join the Valley? They seem to have a pretty good thing going as it is.

Caught the USC-KU game. thought the Trojans might pull it off.

When I used to live in Johnson City TN, I attended a businessmans breakfast in Knoxville which KO was the guest speaker. Met him after the event, real nice guy. Unfortunately, he never really was comfortable with Rocky Top culture which lead to premature departure. Now Pearl, he's embraced it and constantly sucks up to Pat Summitt. He's made other mistakes B)

I do have to hand it to KO, the man is a survivor in the dog-eat-dog world of upper level division 1 basketball coaching.

The difference between K.O. And Pearl is with K.O. What you see is what you get. With Pearl, that is not the case. In my experience more coaches are like Pearl. K.O. Does a lot of things behind the scenes quietly for people that would surprise many.

Pearl cheated at UWM, Tennessee, etc...he smartly knew that his fake support of Pat Summit and others would bring attention to himself and his team. Does anyone even remember who the Lady Vols played when Pearl dressed up in orange paint in the student section? All of his antics are self-promotion. Pearl is also a very good coach and recruiter. But that has never seemed to be enough for him. He's very entertaining on tv, radio, in person, etc...I suppose things in common would be anger management issues. But I've yet to meet a college coach who didn't have at least a little of that.

I think the Pac 10, MWC as well as CUSA are still ahead of A-10.

My take on those leagues is as follows....

Pac10- Wash, Az & Wash St...great teams

USC, UCLA,& Cal...pretty good teams

CUSA- UCF...great team

So. Miss, Memphis, UAB,& UTEP ...pretty good teams

MtnWC-BYU, San D St,& UNLV...great teams

NM...pretty good team

A-10-Richmd,Temple,& Duq ...very good teams(I think Duq is very underated, could be a dark horse)

Rh Is..pretty good team

As for Marq in the Big E..they are a great program that gets lost in the shuffle. They are destined for 9th or 10th place out of 16 in the BE. Not because they are terrible but because there are so many good teams there. They would be contending for the A-10 championship were they in our league.(though I still think Temple or Richmond would take it) Then there is DePaul, a pretty good program that went to the BE and became overwhelmed and is now the step child of the league. I am sure they come out smelling like a rose financially and exposure wise. They just aren't very competitive.

I think the A-10 is pretty close to CUSA and can pass them shortly. It will take a much greater effort to pass the Pac 10 and the MWC. The risk going forward for the A-10 is losing teams (read that as Temple)

Right now I am more worried Temple, one of A10s premier usually top 25 programs, does not bolt for a football league.

The league RPI will take a major hit if they leave.

I talked last night to Villanova people. The Big East football invite is an attractive, but very expensive proposition. Villanova alumni support the football upgrade. I'm told Villanova would play in the Philly MLS team's stadium in the suburbs. But Villanova would have to have a very expensive upgrade of its student athlete training facilities.

Bringing this closer to home, Villanova is concerned about the long expected Big East division, is concerned what will happen to the Basketball schools, and realizes the risk of not taking the Big East offer to upgrade to FBS in football, namely that if Villanova doesn't move up, the Big East will take Temple, a huge rival school in Philadelphia. That, of course, would also affect the A-10.

As to who stays in the Big East after this possible split, I was basically told to follow the money, as in the football schools. I'm not sure I believe that given the basketball origins of the Big East. But this is important in terms of brand, automatic NCAA basketball bid, and the Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden.

I think the Pac 10, MWC as well as CUSA are still ahead of A-10.

My take on those leagues is as follows....

Pac10- Wash, Az & Wash St...great teams

USC, UCLA,& Cal...pretty good teams

CUSA- UCF...great team

So. Miss, Memphis, UAB,& UTEP ...pretty good teams

MtnWC-BYU, San D St,& UNLV...great teams

NM...pretty good team

A-10-Richmd,Temple,& Duq ...very good teams(I think Duq is very underated, could be a dark horse)

Rh Is..pretty good team

As for Marq in the Big E..they are a great program that gets lost in the shuffle. They are destined for 9th or 10th place out of 16 in the BE. Not because they are terrible but because there are so many good teams there. They would be contending for the A-10 championship were they in our league.(though I still think Temple or Richmond would take it) Then there is DePaul, a pretty good program that went to the BE and became overwhelmed and is now the step child of the league. I am sure they come out smelling like a rose financially and exposure wise. They just aren't very competitive.

I think the A-10 is pretty close to CUSA and can pass them shortly. It will take a much greater effort to pass the Pac 10 and the MWC. The risk going forward for the A-10 is losing teams (read that as Temple)

Your points are confusing. Some of the time you are speaking about this current season and then speak of programs in their totality in the same breath.

Examples:

UCLA, great program. Great recent success and will have big success again soon.

You listed Washington St as great?

You omitted Oregon's new hoops money commitment moving forward.

Is Marq Marquette? They've yet to finish worse than 5th in the Big East Conference since joining. I'd hardly call that lost in the shuffle. Only Pittsburgh can match that success in that league during the same time period.

DePaul? DePaul has not had the University commitment for a long time to be a success in hoops. They didn't do the work along the way. They have some challenges there. I have no doubt Purnell will turn them around a little bit as he does that well. But with limited resources and a coach who has never won an NCAA game in Purnell, DePaul will need an unforseen new found commitment to hoops long term.

Your points are confusing. Some of the time you are speaking about this current season and then speak of programs in their totality in the same breath.

Examples:

UCLA, great program. Great recent success and will have big success again soon.

You listed Washington St as great?

You omitted Oregon's new hoops money commitment moving forward.

Is Marq Marquette? They've yet to finish worse than 5th in the Big East Conference since joining. I'd hardly call that lost in the shuffle. Only Pittsburgh can match that success in that league during the same time period.

DePaul? DePaul has not had the University commitment for a long time to be a success in hoops. They didn't do the work along the way. They have some challenges there. I have no doubt Purnell will turn them around a little bit as he does that well. But with limited resources and a coach who has never won an NCAA game in Purnell, DePaul will need an unforseen new found commitment to hoops long term.

Sorry, the post format got jumbled a bit. If you look carefully, I had UCLA as a pretty good team not a great team this year...an NIT bid and maybe a bubble team. I do have Wash St down as a great team this year. It is no Duke or Kansas but they will be dancing in March. Oregon this year will not be a force in the Pac10. I would put them as comparable to the Bills. Yes..Marq is short for Marquette and I do have them down as 9th or 10th...the BE is so tight that an extra win could push them as high as 5th or an extra loss could push them as low as 13th...eg 07-08 they finished 5th...1 more loss and they would have finished 10th. So for now Marq at 9 or 10 because of all good teams around them. And yes, I do think they are lost in the shuffle. Media seems to be talking about UConn, Pitt, Syr, WVa...I don't hear any media outside of Wisc talking about Marq. And you are right about Pitt matching Marq success.. matching or beating them in the standings 2 of the last 3 years. However you failed to mention Louisville matching or beating Marq in the standings 3 out of 3 years and Villanova, UConn and WVa beating them in the standings 2 of the last 3 years. This is why it will be and has been tough for Marq even though they are a good program.

And finally, DePaul will be cannon fodder for awhile.