Found this on NDnation.com

Fredo

I'm a South Bend native who moved to St. Louis in 2000. I think ND fans can be arrogant, but then again, ND fans should be arrogant. There's a lot to be proud of - recent football struggles notwithstanding. Many people hate Notre Dame, but at least Notre Dame matters enough that everyone has an opinion.

Believe me, SLU fans are far worse. It's fine that they support their team, and I think it's great that there was a place for them to go to college. But they're kind of delusional about SLU. They think it's somehow a sign of prestige to pay private school tuition for a school that isn't even as good as Mizzou. They go around saying things like, "SLU is the second best catholic university in America." (and even if it were true, would you brag about second best?) Nobody challenges them on it because there has never been a SLU alum to ever leave the city of St. Louis, so who's going to argue with them. So they really start believing that it's a good school.

SLU, and the whole city of St. Louis for that matter, has a huge case of the emperor's new clothes. This was once the 4th largest city in the United States, but now it is nothing more than a dying river city, a rotten urban core surrounded by miles of suburban sprawl. I wouldn't wish St. Louis, or SLU, on a convicted felon. They actually think a selling point for their city is that the zoo is free. The food here is awful. This is the only place on the planet earth where the people manage to mess up pizza, but they've ruined pizza in St. Louis. They put this nappy cheese on it - trust me, it's awful.

In short, this place is an armpit and ND fans are lucky that they were able to avoid coming down to this ###### pit for a game.

Wow! What a delusional Hoosier, but I would not really expect anymore from someone who lived in Indiana one of the cesspools of the USA. This former SLU Alum did move from St. Louis, and I did find a couple places who had pizza that sucked in Seattle and the Tampa area. I happen to like St. Louis style pizza and fortunately we found a place just a few miles from us in Clearwater that makes it that way.

I don't get into the where SLU is ranked as a Catholic U...the only thing I care about was my education at SLU has helped me be a success in life. If we were ranked 20th best Catholc U it wouldn't make a hill of beans difference to me.

While I hope that we beat ND in the Not Important Tourney, I promise anyone on here that I won't lose any sleep over it either way. This is coming from someone who still considers a pretty passionate Bills fan, but I cannot find myself getting too worked up about the Avis of college basketball tournaments.

The funny thing about the food reviews is he chose pizza to talk about. I thought the pizza and beer I had in Naples ( Italy not FL Schaz ) was lousy and the best I ever had was in Rio ( Brazil ), but maybe it had more to do with how hungry and thirsty I was.

As far as rooting for your alma mater, that doesn't change no matter where you live, does it?

You have to be joking saying Saint Louis is a downgrade from South Bend. I have had the pleasure of visiting South Bend many times, as my girlfriend attends school at your alma mater. If you travel 5 miles in any direction from the center of town, you're in a cornfield. In the booming metropolis of Mishiwaka-South Bend, every street looks the same, lined with chain restaurants, hotels, gas stations, and retail establishments (many of them abandoned). It is a town clearly built for the six saturdays that people actually travel there. Indiana calls itself the "Crossroads of America." Clearly the state prides itself on the great number of people who only set foot in the state at a gas station or McDonalds, on the way to their out-of-state destination.

As for SLU, the majority of the students attending here are from outside the St Louis area, and move back to their homes after graduation. We have 18 active alumni clubs in cities from coast to coast. I personally have friends from around the country, including Dallas, California, Wyoming, Montana, Seattle, Chicago, Michigan, Indiana (leaving the cesspool), Kentucky, Ohio, Florida, and Maryland, to name a few. Many of the posters on this board alone are also SLU alum from all over the country. SLU isn't the top Catholic school but it's also not a huge pricetag. After scholarships, I would be paying $25,000 a year more at ND. Times 4 years is $100,000 more. Education is an investment, and considering the time value of money, that is an investment most likely not going to pay for itself.

You can't judge a city by size alone. St. Louis wouldn't be the same if we had 10 million people instead of 2.5 in our metro area. I don't see how that would even make us any better, except perhaps get us an NBA franchise, with the increased traffic, pollution, etc. I think more St. Louisans like the city more because of the small town feel in a big city environment than a free zoo or food. It's a nice place to live, the economic envirnoment is healthy as our unemployment rate is consistently below the national average, and people can actually say hi to strangers on the street- a friendly atmosphere not found in comparable cities. St Louis also has plenty to offer in the way of arts/culture, and talented athletic teams (including a football team that actually wins). If you don't like the ethnic foods of the Hill or Dogtown, there are plenty of Applebee's and TGI Friday's, like there are in South Bend. Also, Papa John's and Domino's can be found at most street corners, like in South Bend, if you don't like the pizza.

I'm not going to say that Saint Louis is utopia, but it's definitely not the armpit you make it out to be. If St. Louis is so awful, why would a smart guy as yourself leave your cornfield and come here? The fact that St. Louis is better than South Bend is proven in that you moved here, but I would never move there. Perhaps if your entire salary wasn't going to pay off your student loans, you could live in a nicer part of town and your opinion of the city would change...

I will not Imo's, it's brutal. Give me a Chicago deep dish any day of the week over that stuff!

One thing I have picked up on with St. Louis is that it is very provincial - people who didn't graduate from a St. Louis HS or college in St. Louis have trouble finding jobs or being accepted in the community. Sometimes it reminds me of a major metropolitan area with a small town mindset.

Of course, you have to consider the opinion and whom it is coming from. As Al McGuire once said "a Notre Dame grad is so arrogant he'll pick his nose just to show you his ND class ring."

Get a life and get off this board! Why would you even take the time to post here? Let's just wait and see what happens on Monday night.

There might be an arrogance surrounding SLU fans because we have a team that gives their all every game, don't get much press (even in their own home town) and we have kids playing for us that aren't rapists, women beaters or cheaters.

If you hate it here so much........leave! We don't want you anyway

supersonic .. chill ... that post was on the ND board ..

i think the ND basketball team is fairly clean ... so watch yourself .. only thing i can think of is that Troy Murphy was busted for under age drinking at "THE BACKER" .. (hey .. and our own Reggie Bryant was a part of the Villanova situation)

yes ND folk reading this .. i've spent my fair share of time in south bend ..

Notre Dame grads commonly show their pride by flaunting their rings. (believe me .. I live in C-town .. and hang out with a number of 02' graduates .. who all wear their rings .. even their engineering rings!) ..

People from St. Louis are similar in that we always flaunt "where we went to high school." It's an odd thing.

As for arrogance .. ND has a right to be arrogant about their football heritage .. still that gives them no right to look down on any university .. "as a university" ..

This all started when a poster on the ND Board stated that we were the #2 Catholic U. according to US News and World Reports ..

and then .. we were mocked .. for being #2 ..

who cares .. no one here mentioned that we were #2 .. that was an ND folk .. we don't go around bragging about that ..

then, an ND poster .. took the time to diss St. Louis .. which is odd considering the fact that ND students are often have run in's with South Bend townies ..

For example,

They had a bad incident I think 3 years ago when their lacrosse team that went to the NCAA Final Four .. they had a couple athletes accosted and mugged by townies in South Bend .. then .. then next weekend .. the same group of kids were throwing a party .. the same bunch of townies showed up at their place and assaulted the kids again (they were able to find their address' from the stolen wallets) .. along with all of the people at the party ..

Off campus break in's are fairly common for students who choose to move off campus in their last years at ND.

We have similar issues at SLU .. but then again .. it is in a major metropolitan area ..

South Bend "ain't" exactly peachy .. no need to diss St. Louis ..

This Notre Dame poster must be a pretty unbelievable loser. Why would someone willingly move to a town he hates? Unless he has been forced at gunpoint to live here, he must be here because he couldn't find a job in the thriving metropolis of South Bend and had to come here. That tells me that he is an unsuccessful loser.

My company moves people here from out of town all of the time. Almost without exception, they all seem to love it here. They may miss home or wish at some point to move back, but once they are living here, they really like it. A few rather eccentric types from the Left Coast didn't stay here that long, but given their personalities, I am glad they left.

As for the constant comments about St. Louis being provincial, what city isn't other than the giant melting pots (New York, LA, Miami, etc.)? I hear the same complaints from family members living in Denver, friends living in Milwaukee, and a classmate who lived in KC for about five years. My wife is NOT from St. Louis and every time she hears this "provincial" comment she just rolls her eyes. Her claim is that most people who make that comment have a chip on their shoulder because someone didn't smile at them or they didn't get invited to a party. Two of my best friends are from out of town and they love it here. I know these observations are not statistically representative samples, but I think that any city is what you make of it.

I will say one thing for the Notre Dame alumni that I know. They typically show a lot of class and are generally pretty reserved about their alma mater. My guess is that a lot of alumni from Notre Dame would really disapprove of the post referenced above for its arrogance and childishness.

I'm not from here ...

I grew up in Daytona Beach, Dallas, and Simi Valley Ca. (LA Suburb). I have lived in Denver, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Germany, Ok City and Stl. as an adult. I LOVE SAINT LOUIS.

I love the neighborhoods, the friendliness of the people who have always made me feel as if I were from here. The fact that we have resteraunts besides TGIF and the Natl chains. I love the Cardinals, the Rams and The Bills.

It was my choice to move here and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Notre Dame has no reason to be arrogant not even in football ... since recruiting rules have been established which evened the playing field ... what have they accomplished? Nothing ... and that doesn't look to change in the near future.

Regardless of what happens Monday ... STl will always be a better place then South Bend Indiana and Notre Dame will always SUCK

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

One thing interesting about the South Bend native who lived in St. Louis is that he did not mention that he went to school at Notre Dame. I have always been a fan of N.D. especially in football (even though some N.D. alums can be arrogant) and a posting by a clown like the South Bend native cannot be taken too seriously.

Billikens_Fanatic, I must say that I absolutely LOVED your post. As you know I've been to Notre Dame a few times as well since I also used to date a "Notre Dame-ian". Luckily, I've moved on to a fellow Billiken, but that's not the point. I was not impressed with South Bend at all! The town might as well be called Columbia, Indiana! It's the basic college town and I would never choose it over St. Louis. I also noticed no difference between the intelligence and actions between ND and SLU students so I don't see how our school or students are inferior, but I guess I'm not looking through my "green colored glasses".

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

fredo said, "this place is an armpit and ND fans are lucky that they were able to avoid coming down to this ###### pit for a game."

well i am sure mr fredo is going to provide us all a few internet links that will confirm that south bend indiana is really heaven. i dont remember ever having a desire to vacation or retire in south bend though. and last time i looked, i sure dont remember reading about south bend being listed on any most desireable cities to live lists or anything.

two cents:

Stl born and bred...have lived many other places too...

1) I don't like the cheese either, keep it mozzarella.

2) Chicago deep dish is more overrated than the chant "overrated" at college sporting events. No thanks. they are tourist traps, like Uno, and Gino's East etc....brutal deep dish.

3) South Bend...doesn't even need my thoughts...I mean the state of Indiana itself...no thanks.

4) ND's home market is Chicago, you will find the Mike Brey show there, all of their hoops and football games carried on ESPN 1000, and gasp even their AD yes, AD has his own radio show there.

5) STl has its issues...primarily city safety and luring young professionals and empty nesters to live. The city itself is a small radius. A lot of chiefs and no indians on those projects...if I hear any more on the Wash ave stuff...whoopdeedoo...one little thing...okay that is a minor start. ....I just don't get those who choose to keep moving further out, 45 minutes etc...more bang for buck...but whew....no thanks. and you have to drive to get anywhere....walking, public transit, cabs....are easier in even smaller cities.

6) STL is still the best place to raise a family. Yeah the zoo is free...and yeah that guy must pay to go to the zoo and is bitter. Terrific sports town....the zoo, botanical gardens, forest park, science center...the people....I'd take stl to live over almost anywhere else in the midwest, and many other spots...Chicago being the only midwest competitor...until you are there for multiple February's(gut check month) chicago has a ton of great things stl does not have...but also the cost, brutal weather, 2 hour one way traffic....and negatives too. My advice is to appreciate the good in all places. Most have something interesting or positive to offer if you look hard enough.

7) ah screw it I am buying the "Linebacker" in South Bend and moving there...maybe I can live in a same sex dorm like Walsh and live on campus four years and wonder when the "gray ball" ...uh I meanthe sky will see sun. ......just kidding.

oh...best pizza..."john's pizzeria"...two nyc locations...

Everyone has differing opinions about pizza. I traveled extensively in my working career all over the USA, and I could NEVER understand the hubub about NY style pizza, and believe me with Steinbrenner's Tampa influence there are a number of NY style haunts here in the Tampa Bay area who get zero business from moi. I would disagree on Gino's East for deep dish it is the best I have eaten. Right now, my favorite pizza place when I stray off my weight loss program (which has been rare in the past 5 months) is Paul's Pizza in Clearwater. They call it Chicago style but in my mind it is St. Louis style thin crust pizza and it is very tasty and does remind me of good ole St. Louis.