Majerus at the MAC

Westy03

Thanks for spending my money, my wife is even better at it than you. My point was that there are a multitude of recruiting commentators-NOT JUST BILLIKEN REPORT- and yet we know nothing (seems like I've heard that phrase before). Is it crossing any lines if TT actually does some research and reports on recruiting matters? I know he can't get any private info from SLU coaches, but couldn't the world renowned P-D actually cover this item of significant interest?

I'd like to think that I am about as plugged into SLU recruiting as anyone without any inside connections could be, and honestly, there just isn't that much info out there.

It seems the coaching staff was not recruiting this class too hard and focusing a lot more on the 2012 class. They were recruiting Porter, Manning and a kid out of chicago who committed somewhere else. I think the staff realized they weren't going to get porter so they went for Manning. Porter did NOT commit to SEMO, he is still available, not sure if SLU has a shot.

2012 and Beyond

A quick rivals database search yields some info.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search-results

Phillip Nolan, Jordan Granger, Patrick Ingram appear to be some of the targets in 2012.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think that I am about as plugged into SLU recruiting as anyone without any inside connections could be, and honestly, there just isn't that much info out there.

It seems the coaching staff was not recruiting this class too hard and focusing a lot more on the 2012 class. They were recruiting Porter, Manning and a kid out of chicago who committed somewhere else. I think the staff realized they weren't going to get porter so they went for Manning. Porter did NOT commit to SEMO, he is still available, not sure if SLU has a shot.

2012 and Beyond

A quick rivals database search yields some info.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search-results

Phillip Nolan, Jordan Granger, Patrick Ingram appear to be some of the targets in 2012.

Ya, I was referring to Michael Porter who just transferred from MO state. My bad.

I think you will find it has more to do with CE`s Defensive efforts than his shot .

Lots of speculation going on based on 3rd and 4th hand accounts at this point. There is no way in hell that Cody is not in the starting lineup and playing major minutes for this team.

Lots of speculation going on based on 3rd and 4th hand accounts at this point. There is no way in hell that Cody is not in the starting lineup and playing major minutes for this team.

Porter said today he sees DE as "in the mix at the 4"

That being said if Cody does wear down (like Jeff Suppan who used to be a leader before the allstar break)

RL, BC, CE, CR, DE and next year Manning 80 minutes split between 4 or 5 Bigs 16-20 minutes each until DE And CE get their defense up to par guarding the opponent"s

Maybe only CR and Manning are the only 5's but Conklin and even DE could see time at the 5 if we need bruisers to rebound when we go small

remember when we only had one or two good players-now we speculate as to minutes allotted

Yeah, not sure what I was thinking with the CE. Must have been my own projected starting lineup, not Cassity's. I do remembering being surprised when he said CS, though.

CS probably had 3 or 4th most minutes last year and no hesitation about cranking it up.

His defense and taking care of the ball both improved as the competition got stiffer in the A10

Porter said today he sees DE as "in the mix at the 4"

That being said if Cody does wear down (like Jeff Suppan who used to be a leader before the allstar break)

RL, BC, CE, CR, DE and next year Manning 80 minutes split between 4 or 5 Bigs 16-20 minutes each until DE And CE get their defense up to par guarding the opponent"s

Maybe only CR and Manning are the only 5's but Conklin and even DE could see time at the 5 if we need bruisers to rebound when we go small

remember when we only had one or two good players-now we speculate as to minutes allotted

Dwayne Evans should not ever play 5. It is not like we are talking about some bruiser type here. Evans will be a perimeter player who can attack the glass and rebound the ball—that is what is best for the team. Playing 6'4" 5s is not going to help these team win games.

Bauman-

Backhand would just tell you but you gave him such a hard time when he anncounced the semester suspenstions 3 days ahead of time...who are my sources?...how do i know?...why do you say this? That he is going to PM everyone on the msg board who the Billikens are recruiting, minus you.

A little overly sensitive Backhand?

The only high school experience he has is at the 4 and 5 and Porter said he has no skills for the three. It is not like we play zone offence and defence. In motion the roles are more faded or vague. You would accept CE as a three and RL as anything he wants as the coaches say he has dribbling skills.

It could take two years before DE stops thinking of himself as the beast of the floor.

The only high school experience he has is at the 4 and 5 and Porter said he has no skills for the three. It is not like we play zone offence and defence. In motion the roles are more faded or vague. You would accept CE as a three and RL as anything he wants as the coaches say he has dribbling skills.

It could take two years before DE stops thinking of himself as the beast of the floor.

DE played the wing for his AAU team the illinois wolves. He also did not play 5 for his high school team and he did play on the perimeter some. You do know there is no such thing as a zone offense? Unless you are playing a zone defense, in which case we do run a zone offense.

Why not just use DE as a good rebounding 3, his more natural position. He is not big enough to play the 4 against quality competition, so let him grow as a 3.

DE played the wing for his AAU team the illinois wolves. He also did not play 5 for his high school team and he did play on the perimeter some. You do know there is no such thing as a zone offense? Unless you are playing a zone defense, in which case we do run a zone offense.

Why not just use DE as a good rebounding 3, his more natural position. He is not big enough to play the 4 against quality competition, so let him grow as a 3.

Even though I don't always agree with NH on things off the court, he knows what's up on it. You are dillusional if you think Evans will play the 5. He has to play the 3, or he won't play. Simple as that.

A lot of mid-range tall kids play down low for their high school teams simply because they're the tallest kid on their team. That doesn't mean they aren't asked to switch positions when they get to college. Because they are, every time, especially when they're 6'4 or 6'5.

You are dillusional if you think Evans will play the 5. He has to play the 3, or he won't play. Simple as that.

A lot of mid-range tall kids play down low for their high school teams simply because they're the tallest kid on their team. That doesn't mean they aren't asked to switch positions when they get to college. Because they are, every time, especially when they're 6'4 or 6'5.

Uh....no. Evans will play at the 4 sometimes.

I'll wager about anything he will never be on the court at the 4 this year. It won't happen. He'll fit the 3 great. I think he'll end up as a great player.

I would take that bet. How exactly is Evans a great fit at the 3? He can't shoot. I'm not saying he's going to play a lot at the 4, or even that he is going to play a lot this year. However, when he does play I think he will play a hybrid 3/4. He may end up as a great player, but for this year, I see him as being a spark or situational type player. He is a high energy player that will find his niche.

I would take that bet. How exactly is Evans a great fit at the 3? He can't shoot. I'm not saying he's going to play a lot at the 4, or even that he is going to play a lot this year. However, when he does play I think he will play a hybrid 3/4. He may end up as a great player, but for this year, I see him as being a spark or situational type player. He is a high energy player that will find his niche.

Totally agree. I just see that occurring at the 3. My main reasoning is because RM won't allow that mismatch to happen at the 4.

I'm happy that DE is starting to get a little notoriety -- and a little love -- from the board. I agree that he's going to be the sleeper of the incoming class, and that's sort of funny since he was a 3-star.

Again, for those out of towners, think of DE as physically like TL, a good all around player who crashes the boards and already plays decent defense. He will not be the scorer that TL was immediately. But he plays better defense and rebounds better. TL was more of a good rebounding guard; DE is more of a wing/3-4. I think the reason the coach calls him a 4, btw, is simply due to matching up on defense -- DE can probably guard a lot of 4s, whereas TL had issues guarding 4s (or even 3s, I guess)

I never heard from anyone about TL getting an offer from UConn -- did he? cause if he did it would have been right after UConn won the championship, I think.

The thing about RL and MM being weak defenders has seemed obvious to me. I think back watching MM getting torched over and over by KM, basically at will. Who will RL guard when we play the Temples and Xaviers (let alone Duke)?

If Jake were eligible he would start from day one, I think. Already a really sly defender and great shooting touch. MM and RL are also great shooters but they have a lot of development to do on other parts of their games.

He rebounds better than Tommie? Tommie is probably in the top 5 best rebounders that have worn a Billiken uniform in the last decade. I have never seen Evans play so I can't say one way or the other, but that's a pretty big statement to make. I hope your statement rings true, though, as we would really have something.

I was being facetious about the zone offence although I have seen kids leagues where the players on the offence are making sure they stay in contact with the person they guard on defence

which always amuses me.

What I wrote about the 4 and 5 was culled from the RM appearance at the MAC and the Porter Moser interview on the radio. RM said he was a project and couldn't play the 3 currently and Porter

said he was in the mix at the 4 with Conklin and CE because of his strength and athleticsm. We all know by the time he is a junior or senior all of his minutes will come at the 3 if he learns the

spot and the shot; but now we are all of a sudden short handed and he is looking good in practice.

I never heard from anyone about TL getting an offer from UConn -- did he? cause if he did it would have been right after UConn won the championship, I think.

Tommie had a year in a prep school and did quite well for them. As I recall, UNLV was sniffing around big-time after that.

Tommie had a year in a prep school and did quite well for them. As I recall, UNLV was sniffing around big-time after that.

He did have an offer from Uconn, as well as UNLV. He actually committed to UNLV. Tommie scored 15 ppg playing Point Guard on one of the best prep school teams in the country.

I'm just trying to remember Tommie as a freshman before the season--I'm saying that DE seems better at rebounding and defense than that original version of Tommie, who was far more effective as a scorer and ball handler. how many rebounds did Tommie get as a freshman? I think if DE got 32 or 33 minutes a game, he would certainly get more rebounds as a freshman than Tommie did. remember Tommie got pretty much all the minutes he could handle, in a very different type of system. I would say Tommie was an excellent rebounder as a guard; and DE is more of a small forward type. He may still be growing, too.

I do not have a problem saying TL was a terrific recruit, my point all along is that we've become a little spoiled in terms of recruiting; DE is a really great recruit so far. I guess I can admit TL was a bigger get, but I resist the idea that TL was just way out in the stratosphere, some sort of freak athlete/player compared to DE. I just don't really see the difference as all that monumental, but I guess I am just wrong about that for some dudes. no biggie.

prediction: DE as a senior should be really really good. is everyone good with that one?

I'm happy that DE is starting to get a little notoriety -- and a little love -- from the board. I agree that he's going to be the sleeper of the incoming class, and that's sort of funny since he was a 3-star.

Again, for those out of towners, think of DE as physically like TL, a good all around player who crashes the boards and already plays decent defense. He will not be the scorer that TL was immediately. But he plays better defense and rebounds better. TL was more of a good rebounding guard; DE is more of a wing/3-4. I think the reason the coach calls him a 4, btw, is simply due to matching up on defense -- DE can probably guard a lot of 4s, whereas TL had issues guarding 4s (or even 3s, I guess)

The thing about RL and MM being weak defenders has seemed obvious to me. I think back watching MM getting torched over and over by KM, basically at will. Who will RL guard when we play the Temples and Xaviers (let alone Duke)?

If Jake were eligible he would start from day one, I think. Already a really sly defender and great shooting touch. MM and RL are also great shooters but they have a lot of development to do on other parts of their games.

I am failing to follow why you think DE will be such a good 3/wing. All I have ever read and heard said he played 5 in hike school as he was the only 'tall' player on his team. That seems to be quite a transition to me...

He did have an offer from Uconn, as well as UNLV. He actually committed to UNLV. Tommie scored 15 ppg playing Point Guard on one of the best prep school teams in the country.

And an offer from Illinois if I remember correctly...