Andy Strickland Report

P.B.

Billikan I never said we should fire rickma in my above post. I said if he disagreed with a decision that father biondi and chris may might make that would be in contrast to his previous proclamations of his love of jesuit colleges and if so maybe HE needed to move on I.e. his decision. And my last statement was a bet he would go along with whatever was decided and we should let whatever is going to happen happen.

You obviously want me to write against rickma so badly you don't enen read what I wrote. Go back and reread. You got me wrong on this.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My entire post was hypothetical. I have no inside info just have heard the rumors here.

I want to make it clear I agree with Roy though. IF any of these things are true and IF a player gets kicked off the team by the student court Majerus' I beleive must be reevaluated. This can't be swept under the rug. SLU has a higher standard and we should keep it that way. IF Majerus can't handle it or doesn't like it then SLU needs another coach.

Personally I'd rather have Majerus take care of this himself. If something went on bad enough to be judged in front of the student court then Majerus should have already kicked off that player. What if this continues? Do we become like Mi$$ou? Look at all the bad press they have gotten, 3 arrests in the preseason. I don't want anything like that at SLU.

How do you extrapolate anything about Majerus' leadership from this situation? All kinds of kids from all kinds of backgrounds get into trouble at college. Some of them learn from their mistakes and get back on the right track, some don't. To infer anything about the state of the program because one kid is in hot water is ridiculous! And the whole thing hasn't even played out yet. Do you want Rick to live in the dorms with all of his players or something like that? Start living in the real world, dude. I remember some things I did at SLU that I'm not exactly proud of, but I guess it was all holy and upright for you.

As posted just a few minutes ago, I agreed with your earlier post, BUT this post is so far out of line with regard to Roy, it disgusts me. You may disagree with Roy but to say that fans like him are one of the biggest problems with the Billiken MBB program is probably one of the most objectionable comments I have read in over a few years on this Board. Your negative attitude about the current level of the 2010-11 team reminds me of all the times you have accused anyone who disagrees with you about ANYTHING of being negative.

What gives you the right to come on this Board with all your accusations. You give a few bucks to the program? Great so do others, including Roy and me. Knock it off old timer. This post of yours is a disgrace!

Roy and Torch started all the discussions about removing the coach without knowing anything about what has happened. I am sick and tired of folks with agendas getting on this board and trying to stir up crap. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to call for the coach to be fired and in fact he is one of the few coaches in the country that actually stands for something in terms of what he expects from his players, particularly in terms of the academics. I was a good friend and supporter of Brad and I was pissed when he was fired but I was first and foremost a fan of SLU and the Billikens so I let it go and I now agree we are much better off as a basketball program with the new coach. Roy has been all over Rick from the day he arrived and for him to suggest that he now shouldn't be our coach unless he takes the view that Roy has about the situation. So if the Coach has a different view than Roy then he should be fired. That is how I read his post and he has repeatedly dissed this coach over and over again for years. I have had a number of people come up to me and ask me who is this Roy guy who is always on our coach. I just say he is a long time fan but as I thought about it today I realized that the Bills will never be successful if we have a fan base that is so tentative in its support that the fans only will support the program if they agree with everything that is done. Some here do not understand that a coach cannot control everything a player does 24 hours a day. And few know anything about the true facts. Yet we get rampant speculation and call for the coach to be fired. Absolutely ridiculous!

My view of this year's team are that we are going to be good but we may not be worldbeaters and we may not win 25 games and go to the big dance. We might be that good, but for people to suggest, as I guess you have, that the year will be a total disaster if we do not achieve those milestones is ridiculous in my view.

I have been around and supported this program for decades. I give a hell of a lot more than a few bucks and I am really excited about where we are heading. But if people now are going to make up crap so they can call for the coach to be fired then I am going to do everything I can to counter that because if we fire this coach we can all just give up-- it will show our school is not serious and is in fact run by a bunch of idiots!

none of us know what exactly happened. but if a second incident even approaching what happened in the spring has come up, then it is time to go. i dont care if it costs us the fordham game and all others as well. i want slu students to be better than the norm off the court. i trust chris may and father biondi will make the right decision and what happens happens. if rick majerus doesnt like that stance, imo he isnt the all loving jesuit university individual he has always represented and probably shouldnt be our coach. i have a feeling that whatever father biondi and chris may decide, rick majerus will agree.

Roy, here is your last paragraph. You state your position and say that if Rick M does not like that stance then he "shouldn't be our coach". It is impossible for me to read that in any other way then if Rick does not agree with you he should be fired. I have basically stopped debating with you about RM because you have a certain view and I do not think it will ever change. But my view is that although he is not perfect he is an excellent coach who has built a great staff and he is an effective recruiter who cares about the kids and wants them to be real students. He is an excellent game coach and teacher in practice. If SLU fires this coach for no reason, as people are suggesting, then we will all look like fools.

Roy and Torch started all the discussions about removing the coach without knowing anything about what has happened. I am sick and tired of folks with agendas getting on this board and trying to stir up crap. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to call for the coach to be fired and in fact he is one of the few coaches in the country that actually stands for something in terms of what he expects from his players, particularly in terms of the academics. I was a good friend and supporter of Brad and I was pissed when he was fired but I was first and foremost a fan of SLU and the Billikens so I let it go and I now agree we are much better off as a basketball program with the new coach. Roy has been all over Rick from the day he arrived and for him to suggest that he now shouldn't be our coach unless he takes the view that Roy has about the situation. So if the Coach has a different view than Roy then he should be fired. That is how I read his post and he has repeatedly dissed this coach over and over again for years. I have had a number of people come up to me and ask me who is this Roy guy who is always on our coach. I just say he is a long time fan but as I thought about it today I realized that the Bills will never be successful if we have a fan base that is so tentative in its support that the fans only will support the program if they agree with everything that is done. Some here do not understand that a coach cannot control everything a player does 24 hours a day. And few know anything about the true facts. Yet we get rampant speculation and call for the coach to be fired. Absolutely ridiculous!

My view of this year's team are that we are going to be good but we may not be worldbeaters and we may not win 25 games and go to the big dance. We might be that good, but for people to suggest, as I guess you have, that the year will be a total disaster if we do not achieve those milestones is ridiculous in my view.

I have been around and supported this program for decades. I give a hell of a lot more than a few bucks and I am really excited about where we are heading. But if people now are going to make up crap so they can call for the coach to be fired then I am going to do everything I can to counter that because if we fire this coach we can all just give up-- it will show our school is not serious and is in fact run by a bunch of idiots!

I'm sick and tired of "Insiders" who tell other posters they are ignorant yet rarely ever post their "Insider" info. Billikan has written several paragraphs in this thread and said nothing except call me and Roy out for not being "Insiders."

I never said the Basketball team must be saints. But when you break the university's rules you should get kicked off the team. If the player in question was just a regular student would we be raising such a fuss? No he'd just get kicked out of school.

I never called for Majerus' ouster. I said if he didn't like the rules he and his team have to abide by then he should leave.

Also if a player is causing problems, why not just kick him off yourself? Save the PR headache before something really gets out of hand and puts a black eye on the program and school. I think doing something to get called in front of this board qualifies.

Just an opinion of an ignorant Billiken fan. When you get some more info you'd like to share with the rest of us Billikan please post it.

Roy, here is your last paragraph. You state your position and say that if Rick M does not like that stance then he "shouldn't be our coach". It is impossible for me to read that in any other way then if Rick does not agree with you he should be fired. I have basically stopped debating with you about RM because you have a certain view and I do not think it will ever change. But my view is that although he is not perfect he is an excellent coach who has built a great staff and he is an effective recruiter who cares about the kids and wants them to be real students. He is an excellent game coach and teacher in practice. If SLU fires this coach for no reason, as people are suggesting, then we will all look like fools.

Sorry Billikan I don't read it like that. You are jumping to conclusions and putting words in people's mouths. Roy and I never said he should be fired, nothing close to that. Unbelievable. I've posted on this board for 12 years and have never even considered resorting to personal attacks on other posters. I'm getting pretty close now so I will take leave of this thread.

Sorry Billikan I don't read it like that. You are jumping to conclusions and putting words in people's mouths. Roy and I never said he should be fired, nothing close to that. Unbelievable. I've posted on this board for 12 years and have never even considered resorting to personal attacks on other posters. I'm getting pretty close now so I will take leave of this thread.

I was really upset today and it shows me I should not even be on this board. I will take my leave of the board for a while.

I was really upset today and it shows me I should not even be on this board. I will take my leave of the board for a while.

Torch is dead wrong in this thread. Good job calling him out, Billikan. No sarcasm intended.

Seriously, torch, i think it is you that should reread your posts on here.

If we have a constant knucklehead on our team, and that's a big IF since i have no f'ing clue, then said knuckle head should probably be shown the door at some point.

billikan i know you read all the posts and if you go back and look, p diddy had a post about five posts prior to mine that has you all upset where he said,

"I must admit, I've never heard of such a scenario taking place with an on-campus board being able to potentially expel a student-athlete. It may happen at other places, but I've never seen anything like this. To lose a key player before the season under such circumstances. Well, that's a good way to lose a coach."

my comment is in response to his claiming that if a player were to leave under such circumstances it might cause rickma to leave. my response was to say, if he feels that way maybe he should leave. you somehow took that to mean i want him fired. wrong again.

and funny how you fail to mention in all your three posts bashing me that i said in my last sentence that i feel rickma will do the right thing and support the decision whatever that might be.

i am sorry you are having a hard time reading. if you want further instruction send me a PM and i will be happy to help you through the process. you are a great fan and it bothers me that you dont see my own passion for saint louis university. all i want is for slu to always have the highest standards. something we can all be proud of and when stuff like this comes up, while it is important to be fair it is also important to do the right thing and send the right message to our students. that is far more important than winning basketball games.

Agreed.

Agreed.

I'll bet ol' Andy S is chuckling over his donuts and coffee this morning seeing all the turnoil he's caused with Bills fans. Again, if this story proves to be another of his red herrings Chris May should be on the phone to the FAN complaining about this guy's vendetta against SLU citing all the lies and half truths he's spun about us over the years.

I'll bet ol' Andy S is chuckling over his donuts and coffee this morning seeing all the turnoil he's caused with Bills fans. Again, if this story proves to be another of his red herrings Chris May should be on the phone to the FAN complaining about this guy's vendetta against SLU citing all the lies and half truths he's spun about us over the years.

Ok, I get that this Dickland guy is a bum, but does anyone know specifics that he has claimed in the past that turned out to be nothing? I am not a regular listener of KFNS.

Ok, I get that this Dickland guy is a bum, but does anyone know specifics that he has claimed in the past that turned out to be nothing? I am not a regular listener of KFNS.

Willie Reed and Ruben Cotto will be ruled ineligible and wont play for SLU this season. Thats one that really stands out in my mind. I think he even went into his fabricated details of what he "knew" about the situation, which crosses the line in my mind.

Willie Reed and Ruben Cotto will be ruled ineligible and wont play for SLU this season. Thats one that really stands out in my mind. I think he even went into his fabricated details of what he "knew" about the situation, which crosses the line in my mind.

he even went as far as to say cotto would not even be eligible to enroll at slu and would never set foot on the slu campus or see a classroom.

Can anyone confirm or at least give the latest buzz on campus on whether the player in question is going before the discipline board due to a. the incident from last spring involving an arrest or b. a new incident that happened after classes ended last spring? Steve suggested that there might be a new incident. From my days of being hauled before these types of boards a generation ago, they don't judge the student on one incident in a vacuum. Your body of work (so to speak) is looked at meaning they'll comb through all the dirt in your file since you arrived on campus.

Can anyone confirm or at least give the latest buzz on campus on whether the player in question is going before the discipline board due to a. the incident from last spring involving an arrest or b. a new incident that happened after classes ended last spring? Steve suggested that there might be a new incident. From my days of being hauled before these types of boards a generation ago, they don't judge the student on one incident in a vacuum. Your body of work (so to speak) is looked at meaning they'll comb through all the dirt in your file since you arrived on campus.

Wouldn't one think RM would have pushed for a resolution here, ie he's staying or going? Also, doesn't it make sense if the player is indeed guilty of some heinous offense that RM and the AD would have or should have taken action in the form of a suspension or dismissal rather than leave this up to a Kangaroo court. How many times do you read about an athlete being suspended or even dismissed for a violation of some unknown rule or regulation. I'm surprised that what we're led to GUESS was the nature of this offense, the player wasn't dismissed last summer. It would seem an automatic punishment with most teams. Even that slime ball Quinn Snyder revoked the scholly of that kid up in Detroit before he was indicted.

Obviously there's question as to whether he actually did anything. RM would look like a huge dumbass kicking a kid off the team, as you suggest, just to find out he didn't do anything. I don't know if he did anything wrong or not, but my point is that it must not be a clear cut situation, or actions would have already been taken by the athletic department.

Wouldn't one think RM would have pushed for a resolution here, ie he's staying or going? Also, doesn't it make sense if the player is indeed guilty of some heinous offense that RM and the AD would have or should have taken action in the form of a suspension or dismissal rather than leave this up to a Kangaroo court. How many times do you read about an athlete being suspended or even dismissed for a violation of some unknown rule or regulation. I'm surprised that what we're led to GUESS was the nature of this offense, the player wasn't dismissed last summer. It would seem an automatic punishment with most teams. Even that slime ball Quinn Snyder revoked the scholly of that kid up in Detroit before he was indicted.

-as an alum i have to admit i had not heard about the student court before this series of events, or perhaps i had forgotten about it, but i am curious how it qualifies as a kangaroo court?

Obviously there's question as to whether he actually did anything. RM would look like a huge dumbass kicking a kid off the team, as you suggest, just to find out he didn't do anything. I don't know if he did anything wrong or not, but my point is that it must not be a clear cut situation, or actions would have already been taken by the athletic department.

I said, if he was indeed guilty.

-as an alum i have to admit i had not heard about the student court before this series of events, or perhaps i had forgotten about it, but i am curious how it qualifies as a kangaroo court?

My personal experience relates to undergrad at Creighton before attending SLU law. At Creighton in the early 80s, there was a student discipline panel made up the dean of students, two other administrators, and perhaps some senior faculty. One may refer to it as "kangaroo" in the sense that you the student are completely at their mercy. There are no rules of evidence nor appeals. The panel takes statements from whoever they wish and then you are allowed to defend yourself. The panel's authority includes kicking the accused out of school. I assume a similar system is in place at SLU today.