Schedule Announced - A10

No there isn't. 11 days to get ready for Duke.

Rather than cramming in the 1/3 Chicago State game in between the 1/1 Bowling Green and the conference opener vs. Dayton on 1/6, it would seem to make more sense to play a game like that on 12/4, in between the Portland and Duke games. It would still give us a week before the Duke game.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than cramming in the 1/3 Chicago State game in between the 1/1 Bowling Green and the conference opener vs. Dayton on 1/6, it would seem to make more sense to play a game like that on 12/4, in between the Portland and Duke games. It would still give us a week before the Duke game.

Porter said the last two games on the schedule were impossible to get. Had to settle for a rematch with D-2 Rockhurst and an out of place game against Chicago St.

Anyone notice Merry Christmas to Billiken fans 1 home game in December.

Love the fact the Nova Southeastern is on the schedule,even as an exhibition.Nice that Harriman can get to see his old team,and coach.

Nova is D2 but has a student enrollment of like 29,000

Aside from playing Dayton at Chaifetz during Christmas break, I have no problem with the lack of home games during December. After the Missouri State debacle last year where it was like we were playing in Hammonds Arena East, I'm OK with playing the bulk of the December games on the road. Students don't come during Christmas break, with the exception of billikenfan05 and a few of his friends, and without them the atmosphere is lacking. If we play a local team, the game will feel like a neutral site game, which shouldn't happen at Chaifetz, so the simple way to combat that is to not play games at home during the break. Break or not, Jacksonville, Bowling Green, and Chicago State probably won't bring in a big crowd anyway, though the Jacksonville game could have more buzz if we get off to a great start and push Duke to their limits, or even pull off the upset at Cameron Indoor. The Dayton game is where the problem lies. A good number of UD grads live in St. Louis, and their students will come to a game here if it's during break. We've had occurrences similar to the Missouri State thing last year with Dayton students. I don't care if it's during break or not, the students better be there in some force for the Dayton game.

Not a big fan of Chicago State and Rockhurst. Since they're D-2, at least Rockhurst doesn't help or hurt us in the RPI. It's basically an exhibition game played during the season. Chicago State, on the other hand, is an RPI anchor. They had the 3rd worst RPI in D-1 college basketball. I have to think we could've gotten a better game than that.

Other than that, my only other comments regarding the schedule concern the games at Xavier and Dayton. I was hoping they'd both be on weekends, as I could travel to both. As it turns out, only the Xavier one in on a weekend, so I can hopefully make it out to Cincy for that one.

We are playing a non conference slate worthy of Dayton. If we don't go at least 12-2 in the non con it is a disappointment.

I think 12-2 is doable, but it sure as hell isn't going to be easy. We play 6 games away from home and 1 of them is against the national champs. Chalk that up as a loss. If we go 4-1 in the other 5, which includes a place I'm not sure we've ever won in (Springfield) and beat a top 50 Georgia team that would be damn good. 11-3 should probably be the median expectation but 12-2 would be very good and have us well on the way to an at large bid...

Dayton at home during Christmas Break = epic scheduling FAIL. All the local dipshits who go there are going to be home and will undoubtedly be at the game. It will be like last year's Missourah State game all over again.

It sucks that our students won't likely be there (when are they ever there during break?), but I don't think Dayton students will be there like MO State students were last year. For starters, I recall from my own college days that Dayton begins their winter semester way earlier than everyone else and most students make certain to get back into town well before class actually begins because of all the parties going on.

It sucks that our students won't likely be there (when are they ever there during break?), but I don't think Dayton students will be there like MO State students were last year. For starters, I recall from my own college days that Dayton begins their winter semester way earlier than everyone else and most students make certain to get back into town well before class actually begins because of all the parties going on.

Just looked it up. Dayton goes back to school the same time SLU does.

Just looked it up. Dayton goes back to school the same time SLU does.

If they do then either they are starting extremely late or SLU is starting extremely early. Historically Dayton students go back to school like the day after New Years.

EDIT: Does appear to be accurate though; looks like both student bodies start up again on 1/18 this year.

st louis catholic high schools push dayton and there are a lot of st louis kids at dayton. i could just see our student section getting overrun again. sighhh.

st louis catholic high schools push dayton and there are a lot of st louis kids at dayton. i could just see our student section getting overrun again. sighhh.

If our student section gets over-run again there is nobody to blame but the students. Not every game can be scheduled while school is in session (they do take a month off) and if other schools have that much more school spirit then us that they will travel 300+ miles while our poor students can't drive in from the suburbs then we deserve to be over-ran.

If our student section gets over-run again there is nobody to blame but the students. Not every game can be scheduled while school is in session (they do take a month off) and if other schools have that much more school spirit then us that they will travel 300+ miles while our poor students can't drive in from the suburbs then we deserve to be over-ran.

Agreed. Still sucks that its on a Thursday. I'd like to go to this game, but I'm probably not going to take vacation days to do so. If it was a Friday or Saturday I'd be all over getting some Dayton fans kicked out of the arena.

Agreed. Still sucks that its on a Thursday. I'd like to go to this game, but I'm probably not going to take vacation days to do so. If it was a Friday or Saturday I'd be all over getting some Dayton fans kicked out of the arena.

I think the Thursday is because of CBS College Sports. If there is a downside to being on national t.v. a couple times its different dates and times than we are used to. Personally, I'm willing to deal with the inconvenience for some exposure if we have to.

my point was that there are enough dayton students from st louis that will be home on break that could outnumber our typical xmas break student turnout. i am not saying kids will drive to st louis from dayton.

that was probably what happened last year vs southwest missouri state as well. southwest students that live in and around st louis came to the game. i doubt seriously if the majority of those students were kansas city kids.

Its not going to happen if SLU is doing well at the time. There should be enough SLU kids in town to fill a student section and they will come if the team is doing well.

my point was that there are enough dayton students from st louis that will be home on break that could outnumber our typical xmas break student turnout. i am not saying kids will drive to st louis from dayton.

that was probably what happened last year vs southwest missouri state as well. southwest students that live in and around st louis came to the game. i doubt seriously if the majority of those students were kansas city kids.

I do agree.

But even for argument's sake lets say there are 1,000 Dayton students living in the St. louis area for XMas. Isn't about half of SLU still from the St. Louis region so there are 5,000 or so students in the area. If our students get outnumbered again there is nobody to blame but themselves.

I do agree.

But even for argument's sake lets say there are 1,000 Dayton students living in the St. louis area for XMas. Isn't about half of SLU still from the St. Louis region so there are 5,000 or so students in the area. If our students get outnumbered again there is nobody to blame but themselves.

oh dont get me wrong. i am not giving our student section a pass by any means. what happened last winter at the southwest missouri game was a lifelong student section disgrace. one of the lowest moments in student attendance history of slu.

all i am saying is the setting is ripe for a repeat. it is up to our new students section to prove us wrong, but right now i see the writing on the wall and i am cringing.

oh dont get me wrong. i am not giving our student section a pass by any means. what happened last winter at the southwest missouri game was a lifelong student section disgrace. one of the lowest moments in student attendance history of slu.

all i am saying is the setting is ripe for a repeat. it is up to our new students section to prove us wrong, but right now i see the writing on the wall and i am cringing.

Agree on all points.

Of course, the easiest way to avoid the embarrasment of a loud Dayton student section would be a 15-0 run to open the game...

There are two simple keys to preventing a sweater vest invasion. We have to have a strong nonconference performance heading into the conference opener. Hopefully we are playing well and there is some buzz about our Billikens and our fans show up in force. Regarding the student section, don't open it up to students from other colleges. Or if they are having a difficult time filling it with SLU students, figure out some kind of deal with a few local high schools. If these two things happen, the sweater vests who show up will be scattered around the building, hopefully most up towards the rafters and they won't be much of a factor. Plus, the fact that it is a weeknight game will keep a lot of the older sweater vest fans from traveling in for the game. Then it is up to our team to play well and beat them again, which is the best way to quiet them and have them leave crying again.