KOWAL

bauman

I believe classes start Monday.

Undergrad classes do. Grad programs typically start later, which is what Kowal would reportedly be doing. Not that he has to be there for the first week or two of classes anyway.

Undergrad classes do. Grad programs typically start later, which is what Kowal would reportedly be doing. Not that he has to be there for the first week or two of classes anyway.

You're right. SK doesn't need to be there for first day of school, but then again, he is not taking introductory/100 level courses in English, Western Civ and Communications. He is supposed to be a good student wanting to work on his graduate degree - his career. Apparently, he wants both graduate school and basketball. If he starts late to grad school, that would be a red flag to me.

You're right. SK doesn't need to be there for first day of school, but then again, he is not taking introductory/100 level courses in English, Western Civ and Communications. He is supposed to be a good student wanting to work on his graduate degree - his career. Apparently, he wants both graduate school and basketball. If he starts late to grad school, that would be a red flag to me.

Kind of presumptive, isn't it? Who is to say he doesn't want to be in class and practicing? Maybe he is waiting for Majerus' decision. He sure as hell isn't going to want to pay for SLU Grad school out of pocket. So why wouldn't he wait to see what RM has to say and then move on elsewhere if things don't go as planned.

Kind of presumptive, isn't it? Who is to say he doesn't want to be in class and practicing? Maybe he is waiting for Majerus' decision. He sure as hell isn't going to want to pay for SLU Grad school out of pocket. So why wouldn't he wait to see what RM has to say and then move on elsewhere if things don't go as planned.

Presumptive??? No public news so you - not me - blame RM for not making up his mind? Guess RM needs more time to evaluate him?? If in doubt, take a shot at RM - even if SK chooses to go elsewhere. Nice.

Last we heard publicly is that SK was also interested in some other schools. No doubt there are papwerwork issues: transfering transcripts/grades, being accepted in graduate school, obtaining a scholarship, final NCAA clearance letter or the like but why can the kid not open his mouth and state his intentions?

Presumptive??? No public news so you - not me - blame RM for not making up his mind? Guess RM needs more time to evaluate him?? If in doubt, take a shot at RM - even if SK chooses to go elsewhere. Nice.

Last we heard publicly is that SK was also interested in some other schools. No doubt there are papwerwork issues: transfering transcripts/grades, being accepted in graduate school, obtaining a scholarship, final NCAA clearance letter or the like but why can the kid not open his mouth and state his intentions?

my guess is "the kid" has but the intended isnt as interested as he is. i personally think if he was going to be a billiken, it would have already happened. i am betting he is headed elsewhere and his very good list might not be as receptive as he had hoped. i am betting he ends up somewhere besides that list. otherwise i believe he would have been snatched the day after he got his release.

now if he wants to pay his own way........step right up.

my guess is "the kid" has but the intended isnt as interested as he is. i personally think if he was going to be a billiken, it would have already happened. i am betting he is headed elsewhere and his very good list might not be as receptive as he had hoped. i am betting he ends up somewhere besides that list. otherwise i believe he would have been snatched the day after he got his release.

now if he wants to pay his own way........step right up.

A friend of Rickma's at the NYT wouldn't have written an article about Kowal's situation umless Rickma had some real interest in the kid.

A friend of Rickma's at the NYT wouldn't have written an article about Kowal's situation umless Rickma had some real interest in the kid.

Interest does not equal scholarship. I tend to agree with Roy. If SLU really wants him/and he wants SLU, then make the announcement while the paperwork is being handled. Along the lines Roy lists, the kid is probably still shopping or trying to make up his mind.

So you get even more presumptive on me? I'm not taking shots at anyone. I never blamed anyone. I just think that SK's grad school v. basketball attitude "raising red flags" may not be the case as you suggested. Why would the fact that he hasn't signed up somewhere indicate to you a lack of committment to a master's degree/career focus? Because he has a targeted school in mind that is considering footing the bill for every dime of tuition, housing, and books? Wouldn't you wait to hear what they decided?

If I've done anything on this board, I've defended RM's recruiting and personnel decisions. I have no problem with him taking his time to decide if SK is what we need. If SK decides on his own to go elsewhere, good for him. We'll be fine with him and fine without him. I don't know that he specifically said the words "I want to play for Saint Louis University", but all reports seemed to at least hint at it. If that's the case, he'd be a Billiken if RM wanted him to be. That's my opinion. He isn't a Billiken yet, and he isn't anything else yet. That tells me RM is making up his mind, and SK is happy to wait.

If he is going to end up having to pay for grad school, there is no harm in waiting to do that until January. It's not like Divinity jobs are flying off the shelves. If he has other offers lined up, but prefers SLU, he'll wait until RM decides, and move on to the next one if it isn't the right move.

Agreed. I don't get where the Rick Ma might not want him crowd is coming from. We have an open scholarship and a senior that fits it perfectly. Do people really think he is worried about the mindset of players that Kowal could take a few minutes from? That sure isn't RM's style.

Any number of reasons could be behind the delay:

- He could be visiting any of the other schools. Why not, its not like SLU can fill the scholly elsewhere?

- SLU and Kowal could be simply letting some time pass. We know NIU was not happy about how this went down so scooping him up the day after he got his release would be just asking them to question his real motivations and/or claim tampering. What is the harm in letting some time pass, going on a visit or two, and then announcing its SLU. Makes the whole process look more legit (not saying it wasn't legit to begin with but why tempt NIU).

- I won't say there is a 0% chance RM doesn't want him, but its pretty darn low if you ask me.

Agreed. I don't get where the Rick Ma might not want him crowd is coming from. We have an open scholarship and a senior that fits it perfectly. Do people really think he is worried about the mindset of players that Kowal could take a few minutes from? That sure isn't RM's style.

Any number of reasons could be behind the delay:

- He could be visiting any of the other schools. Why not, its not like SLU can fill the scholly elsewhere?

- SLU and Kowal could be simply letting some time pass. We know NIU was not happy about how this went down so scooping him up the day after he got his release would be just asking them to question his real motivations and/or claim tampering. What is the harm in letting some time pass, going on a visit or two, and then announcing its SLU. Makes the whole process look more legit (not saying it wasn't legit to begin with but why tempt NIU).

- I won't say there is a 0% chance RM doesn't want him, but its pretty darn low if you ask me.

The term "open scholarship" doesn't really apply here anymore. While RickMa has referenced giving away Paul's scholarship in the past, it doesn't seem likely that he would tell one of the co-captains of the team before the season starts that he will no longer be on scholarship. If Kowal is going to play for SLU, it is going to take a lot of maneuvering on SLU's part. If this would have happened during the middle of the summer, there would have been ample time to figure out to to keep Paul on the team while also adding Kowal. Now that school starts Monday, for everyone except Kowal, it seems that there is a time and number crunch in making sure that everyone is getting everything paid for by the university.

Although some people on this board don't believe that RickMa has a heart, I find it hard to believe he would tell his favorite player to take a walk 2 weeks before his senior season. I'm sure its all in the logistics whether or not Kowal joins the team.

i'd send you a PM to explain what i know, but you tend to publish my PM's (out of context as well) to everyone so i cant tell you more.

So you get even more presumptive on me? I'm not taking shots at anyone. I never blamed anyone. I just think that SK's grad school v. basketball attitude "raising red flags" may not be the case as you suggested. Why would the fact that he hasn't signed up somewhere indicate to you a lack of committment to a master's degree/career focus? Because he has a targeted school in mind that is considering footing the bill for every dime of tuition, housing, and books? Wouldn't you wait to hear what they decided?

If I've done anything on this board, I've defended RM's recruiting and personnel decisions. I have no problem with him taking his time to decide if SK is what we need. If SK decides on his own to go elsewhere, good for him. We'll be fine with him and fine without him. I don't know that he specifically said the words "I want to play for Saint Louis University", but all reports seemed to at least hint at it. If that's the case, he'd be a Billiken if RM wanted him to be. That's my opinion. He isn't a Billiken yet, and he isn't anything else yet. That tells me RM is making up his mind, and SK is happy to wait.

If he is going to end up having to pay for grad school, there is no harm in waiting to do that until January. It's not like Divinity jobs are flying off the shelves. If he has other offers lined up, but prefers SLU, he'll wait until RM decides, and move on to the next one if it isn't the right move.

I'd prefer fudge to divinity.