Queen James

I'm not saying that the way he went about it was correct. He might have owed the people of Cleveland more discretion than an ESPN special, but he doesn't owe them a lifetime commitment.

BTW, saying that James "failed to succeed" is a bit of a stretch. Are you implying that Shannon Brown is more successful? Did Ernie Banks fail to succeed? Ted Williams, Ryne Sandberg...

When you are the best (or one of the best two, thanks to Kobe) in any sport, your success is measured in championships, for better or worse. Kobe now has 5. LeBron and the Cavs had the best record the last two years in the regular season and flopped in the playoffs. In year 6 and 7 of his career, people aren't going to make excuses for him.

Maybe 'failed to succeed' was not the best choice of words. 'Failed to win' is, but it doesn't make sense when compared with my desk job.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right. They have the luxury tax if you go over. That's about all I know as I'm not that familiar with the NBA cap.

Thanks, moy and footes. I hadn't considered that last night when I was trying to figure this out. Still, he's not going to get paid what he would have in Cleveland, right? I know FL doesn't have a state income tax but he could have gotten a bigger deal in Cleveland. And lower cost of living, of course.

This gives me less reason to watch the NBA. One of my least favorite things about sports is the amount that certain teams get over others (i.e. Yankees and Red Sox in baseball, which is why I watch so little baseball outside of the Cardinals). ESPN is going to be absolutely devoted to the Heat, and is probably already working with David Stern to ensure a Lakers-Heat finals in 2011. I'd rather have Clippers-Bobcats at this point and the season isn't even close to starting yet.

in order:

1. when i said it justifies the system. i meant from the owners standpoint. why lower the costs if the fans keep coming.

2. i dont care how much they make. my point is do you think for one second that if all the athletes took a 50% pay cut the owners would immediately lower all ticket prices and concessions 50%? no way. they are filling the stands at current rates, in their minds they would be fools to lower the prices. so take your choice, either the players get their fair share or the owners. but imo, one thing is for sure, the fans dont win financially.

3. almost never? i can say the same. until we can truly say, N E V E R and back it up, you are no better than me or the rest of the "addicts" as you described sports fans.

Roy, great post. Until the fans stop shelling out big bucks to watch the games, buying their merchandise, etc., player's salaries are going to continue to increase. And if they don't, the owners are gonna reap the benefits.

We live in a society infatuated with being entertained. Everybody complains about athletes, but what about actors or musicians? Why not the venom for the George Clooney and Brad Pitts of the world who make $20 million + for each movie and then get together once a year at the Oscars to tell each other how great they are?

Thanks, moy and footes. I hadn't considered that last night when I was trying to figure this out. Still, he's not going to get paid what he would have in Cleveland, right? I know FL doesn't have a state income tax but he could have gotten a bigger deal in Cleveland. And lower cost of living, of course.

This gives me less reason to watch the NBA. One of my least favorite things about sports is the amount that certain teams get over others (i.e. Yankees and Red Sox in baseball, which is why I watch so little baseball outside of the Cardinals). ESPN is going to be absolutely devoted to the Heat, and is probably already working with David Stern to ensure a Lakers-Heat finals in 2011. I'd rather have Clippers-Bobcats at this point and the season isn't even close to starting yet.

Good thing Tim Donaghy is just a spectator now...

I think the player's current team can go an additional year on their max contract offer, so where Miami and everyone else could offer LeBron 5 years Cleveland could offer a 6th year. I am also under the impression that had he stayed in Cleveland he would have also been able to have a higher raise rate each season (something like 10.5% compared to 8%). I may be wrong on some of this, but this is what I thought I heard while working from home with SportsCenter on the other day.

wouldnt it have been refreshing for james to have come on camera and tell the world he owed to the good people of cleveland to stay and win a championship? unfortunately, that man isnt out there in any professional sport.

Yes, but I've never strung several potential employers along after failing to succeed for my existing employer, broadcasted my decision live, and felt the need to join forces with 2 of the other best at my job to reach my goals, all while abandoning my hometown, friends, family, and supporters.

Sounds like you guys are huge Cleveland fans, sorry for your loss. I can see why you would feel this way being so emotionally attached to the team, but in reality and from the perspective of someone who is not a Cleveland fan, he doesn't owe Cleveland anything, he didn't fail to succeed in Cleveland and although he switched teams, I'm pretty sure his family and friends were not abandoned. The man can do what he wishes with his career. Truthfully, I'm a little upset at his decision to join Miami but that's just me being selfish, I'm a Knicks fan.

I think the player's current team can go an additional year on their max contract offer, so where Miami and everyone else could offer LeBron 5 years Cleveland could offer a 6th year. I am also under the impression that had he stayed in Cleveland he would have also been able to have a higher raise rate each season (something like 10.5% compared to 8%). I may be wrong on some of this, but this is what I thought I heard while working from home with SportsCenter on the other day.

According to the Wall Street Journal the Heat will pay Lebron $19.2 million per season for 5 years. Cleveland could have paid him $20.8 million per season for 6 years.

Sounds like you guys are huge Cleveland fans, sorry for your loss. I can see why you would feel this way being so emotionally attached to the team, but in reality and from the perspective of someone who is not a Cleveland fan, he doesn't owe Cleveland anything, he didn't fail to succeed in Cleveland and although he switched teams, I'm pretty sure his family and friends were not abandoned. The man can do what he wishes with his career. Truthfully, I'm a little upset at his decision to join Miami but that's just me being selfish, I'm a Knicks fan.

I'm not a huge Cleveland fan. I'm a huge SLU fan. As far as the NBA goes, I'm neutral, so I have no qualms about calling out what I see as BS. I have no loyalty there, unlike you, a Knicks fan disappointed about him going to Miami. I see it as this:

-LeBron has stated goals of being the best NBA player of all time, the first pro athlete billionaire, and to win more titles than Jordan. He must have seen this as a chance to pursue that last goal, and can do all the endorsements he wants for the second.

-Despite publicly demonstrating a monstrous ego, he doesn't have the faith in himself to win championships unless paired with two other superstars.

-James is the ultimate self-promoter and image builder. Part of the move to Miami is to fortify his superstar image- i.e. South Beach is a lot sexier than the sparkling shores of Lake Erie.

-ESPN is the biggest perpetrator in this debacle by allowing him to grab their primetime slot and treat it like his own Twitter account. We are going to be absolutely bombarded with the Miami Heat for the foreseeable future and they will become the most hated team in the NBA along with the Lakers, and rightfully so.

-Akron is in the Cleveland area; James left his hometown to fulfill his goals and stroke his ego despite building 7 years of goodwill with the fans who have seen him play since he was in grade school. His mom and his closest boys will be taken care of along with his kids and their mother(s), but the rest who have shown loyalty must feel abandoned.

-Cleveland, like our beloved midwestern city, peaked decades ago during an industrial era and has seen various periods of decline and failed recovery ever since. Many downtown businesses rely upon revenue from sports fans attending games downtown. The Cavs just became one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference and lost the local hero- they will not win nearly as much- fans who feel abandoned will attend less- businesses will suffer and close.

It's just a lot of BS on top of more BS. He can do what he wants, but that doesn't mean it's right, or just, or good for his sport. He's looking out for #1 only, and the most important thing fans can do is turn away. I'm hoping that happens and the NBA moves more from its superstar-based model toward actually putting a good product on the court.

Riley the new Steinbrenner? No. Ironic? No.

George Steinbrenner has absolutely nothing to do with Pat Riley or any of this. Only one poster, the one with 20+ discontinued accounts, would think to make that nonsensical connection.

Exactly!!

I'm kind of surprised this most recent reincarnation has stayed around this long. He's brought up the Yankees, Notre Dame, and all the usual OT points shoehorned into basketball threads quite a bit.

George Steinbrenner has absolutely nothing to do with Pat Riley or any of this. Only one poster, the one with 20+ discontinued accounts, would think to make that nonsensical connection.

Pat Reilly was the mastermind behind all of this. Read a book.

I've heard this analogy thrown out on several ESPN radio shows today and I think it's true. A lot of people are now making comparisons to Steinbrenner. Even though baseball has no cap, teams like the Red Sox and Yankees pay the luxury tax, but guys like Steinbrenner, John Henry (Red Sox principal owner) and now it appears that Reilly is a guy that doesn't mind shelling out extra $ to field a winner.

As far as the salary cap goes, you can always sign minimum contract guys. Which I believe is 500K per season. So the Heat will just fill their roster with a bunch of these guys. They already traded Beasley to free up more space, and then used some of it to sign Mike Miller last night.

I've heard this analogy thrown out on several ESPN radio shows today and I think it's true. A lot of people are now making comparisons to Steinbrenner. Even though baseball has no cap, teams like the Red Sox and Yankees pay the luxury tax, but guys like Steinbrenner, John Henry (Red Sox principal owner) and now it appears that Reilly is a guy that doesn't mind shelling out extra $ to field a winner.

There's already been a book published about this? That was fast.

Also, if I could read this imaginary book, it would have the name of this mastermind spelled correctly, as in "Riley" and not "Reilly".

I'm surprised to hear that ESPN was finding reasons to talk about the Yankees and Red Sox. It's about time they finally devoted some time on the air to those struggling, under-the-radar franchises that need the extra publicity. The rest of the United States- the part that does not care about these teams- is dying to hear more about them. It's incredible that they manage to make this really interesting connection between sports executives from totally different sports who are allowed to spend gobs of cash to sign players. Hopefully they spend more time investigating this because I am waiting breathlessly to hear more. Sports radio is the best.

Pat Riley is merely the team president of the Heat. Steinbrenner and Henry are/were team owners. The Heat's owner is Micky Arison. I am sure that Riley makes all of the basketball decisions of the Heat, but Arison is the one who writes the checks.

Pat Riley is merely the team president of the Heat. Steinbrenner and Henry are/were team owners. The Heat's owner is Micky Arison. I am sure that Riley makes all of the basketball decisions of the Heat, but Arison is the one who writes the checks.

Are you guys watching this celebration on ESPN News right now which is a live airing of the presenting of the Big 3 in Miami. I am sorry this is so arrogant and over the top. All three guys are getting keys to the city and the celebration is beyond over the top and about as cheesy as it gets. This is wrong for so many reasons.

I have liked the Heat in the past and Pat Riley, but I cannot help but to root against the Heat now and something tells me a dose of Karma may be served up this year.

Are you guys watching this celebration on ESPN News right now which is a live airing of the presenting of the Big 3 in Miami. I am sorry this is so arrogant and over the top. All three guys are getting keys to the city and the celebration is beyond over the top and about as cheesy as it gets. This is wrong for so many reasons.

I have liked the Heat in the past and Pat Riley, but I cannot help but to root against the Heat now and something tells me a dose of Karma may be served up this year.

Agree, I hope the Miami Heat sh*t the bed, screw the pooch, blow the dolphin. Hate 'em.

The Cavaliers organization has been poorly run. Gilbert is a horrible owner. Once they lucked into Lebron they tried to make quick fixes over and over again to build a championship team instead of building through the draft a team around Lebron. Their poor choices made it any easy decision for James. He couldn't win in Cleveland. Their roster is screwed up and can't be saved.

The Heat won't win it this year. They will only have 5 decent players at 4 positions. They need more depth. Even then they need a worker on that team. If they expect Bosh to defend and board against the best they will be sorry. He can't do it. I don't think this will be a solid core. It reminds me of the late 90s Rockets. Pippen in his prime, Barkley and Akeem just out of theirs, and no depth on the squad. The 3 stars couldn't play together well enough to offset the lack of any other viable players. The Heat may win a championship or 2 but I think one of the 3 won't be on the team by year 3 of this experiment.

According to the Wall Street Journal the Heat will pay Lebron $19.2 million per season for 5 years. Cleveland could have paid him $20.8 million per season for 6 years.

Yeah, but FL has no state income tax is what I heard, so there was really no gain $$ wise for him to stay in Cleveland. Having lived in Ohio for 25+ years, you have to have some compassion for Cleveland fans... Modell stuck it to them big time, their economy's in shambles, the Indians had their time in the late 90's but now nada, and you can go on and on and on... LJ was like their little kid brother who did well and now's leaving home.

Yeah, but FL has no state income tax is what I heard, so there was really no gain $$ wise for him to stay in Cleveland. Having lived in Ohio for 25+ years, you have to have some compassion for Cleveland fans... Modell stuck it to them big time, their economy's in shambles, the Indians had their time in the late 90's but now nada, and you can go on and on and on... LJ was like their little kid brother who did well and now's leaving home.

The highest state income tax rate in Ohio is just under 6%. Rounding up to 6%, if he had taken the Cavs' offer, $20.8 million per year turns into $19.55 million. Obviously both $19.2 and $20.8 are subject to federal taxes as well, but he'd still come out ahead in Ohio. One extra year and mo' money each year, plus the lower cost of living in Cleveland vs. Miami (a multi-million dollar home gets you a lot more in northern Ohio). If it was about money, then he's stupid.