Maybe now is the time...

...For SLU to reconsider becoming a football school again. Basketball is clearly a secondary sport in the grand scheme of the current conference realignment drama.

Anyone have any idea as to what it would cost to fund a start up D1 program from scratch? Got to figure it's somewhere between $10-15 mil and the annual budget's probably in the $10mm range. Heck some of these BCS conferences are passing out annual checks of $20mm. But we've missed the bus, no one's going to invite a brand new no tradition no name program into their league. Also, we'd have to come up with an equal number of scholies for women's sports. Probably not practical or economical at this point.

Anyone have any idea as to what it would cost to fund a start up D1 program from scratch? Got to figure it's somewhere between $10-15 mil and the annual budget's probably in the $10mm range. Heck some of these BCS conferences are passing out annual checks of $20mm. But we've missed the bus, no one's going to invite a brand new no tradition no name program into their league. Also, we'd have to come up with an equal number of scholies for women's sports. Probably not practical or economical at this point.

Google "University of Charlotte football" for more...

...For SLU to reconsider becoming a football school again. Basketball is clearly a secondary sport in the grand scheme of the current conference realignment drama.

The problem is that you can't go from 0-100 MPH overnight. As others have mentioned, you need to add as many women's scholarships as men's. On the heels of trying to raise funds for the arena I don't see Biondi doing this. Does Chaifetz have another $20 million sitting around?

The problem is that you can't go from 0-100 MPH overnight. As others have mentioned, you need to add as many women's scholarships as men's. On the heels of trying to raise funds for the arena I don't see Biondi doing this. Does Chaifetz have another $20 million sitting around?

Didn't realize Charlotte was building a stadium as well. For some reason I don't see this working at SLU. Don't see us ever getting a fan base big enough to support it. BB still remains our best bet for athletic recognition, and getting in and succeeding at a conference that might develop should be the school's focus. Yeah, FB rules college sports at the BCS level, but not haveing a program doesn't rule out making a name for yourself in other sports, ie hoops and soccer.

Didn't realize Charlotte was building a stadium as well. For some reason I don't see this working at SLU. Don't see us ever getting a fan base big enough to support it. BB still remains our best bet for athletic recognition, and getting in and succeeding at a conference that might develop should be the school's focus. Yeah, FB rules college sports at the BCS level, but not haveing a program doesn't rule out making a name for yourself in other sports, ie hoops and soccer.

I think that football should be forever on SLU's radar. I think it would be wise to check, if even superficially, the viability of starting up a football program every single year. Football is that valuable. Certainly it's not that way right away, it takes time to build a successful program. USF started their football program in 1997 and they are now reaping the benefits of BCS affiliation, which brings in many millions of dollars per year. I'm not saying it's easy, but if SLU at any time can do this, it seems like a no brainer.

SLU will never be able to do that. USF is the largest school in FL. FL is one of if not the most talent rich football states in the country. They were able to get into a BCS league. How many Catholic schools are any good at FB? ND and BC and both haven't been all that lately. MO is surrounded by states that lack FB talent except for OK, TN, AR. They aren't going to get the talent and it will be a loss of money not worth it.

SLU will never be able to do that. USF is the largest school in FL. FL is one of if not the most talent rich football states in the country. They were able to get into a BCS league. How many Catholic schools are any good at FB? ND and BC and both haven't been all that lately. MO is surrounded by states that lack FB talent except for OK, TN, AR. They aren't going to get the talent and it will be a loss of money not worth it.

Agree with A Bomb.

Where have some of you been?

NO WAY SLU invests in football.

Even more unlikely than laughable "Great Papal Conference" for hoops.

I would guess that D-1 football would guarantee increased applications and enrollment. It is a huge part of college culture that many high school students are afraid to miss out on.

It really is remarkable how college football affects a school. Mizzou has had record enrollment since 2007, when they went 12-2 in football. Shallow as it is, it seems that a high-profile athletics department can really add to a school's revenue streams.

Agree with A Bomb.

Where have some of you been?

NO WAY SLU invests in football.

Even more unlikely than laughable "Great Papal Conference" for hoops.

If the Big East falls apart because of football, the Papal Conference becomes much more possible.

Up to .001% possible.

Lets say the big east loses 3 or so teams to the SEC/Big Ten. Where are the other Big East teams going to go? Most likely they will join ACC teams and form their own 16 team conference.

That leaves Providence, Villanova etc. with no conference. It would make sense for them to add/team up with a couple of other non-football programs and make a new conference. Xavier and Dayton obviously make sense and SLU has to be considered for that.

How is it .001% possible?

Lets say the big east loses 3 or so teams to the SEC/Big Ten. Where are the other Big East teams going to go? Most likely they will join ACC teams and form their own 16 team conference.

That leaves Providence, Villanova etc. with no conference. It would make sense for them to add/team up with a couple of other non-football programs and make a new conference. Xavier and Dayton obviously make sense and SLU has to be considered for that.

Good points; let's make it .0005% possible. :lol::D:P

Who's to say that Gtown and Nova don't upgrade their football programs to full D-1A status? When the Big East was formed, UConn got called up from the FCS. As lucrative as BCS football is, I don't think these schools would want to be on the outside looking in when it comes to conference realignment. Now, maybe they don't upgrade and then form this new non-football conference. Or maybe they make an exception for the non-footbals schools and have even larger conferences than 16.

There is no way it is going to happen. I think the conference reshuffling will only make it more difficult for upstart football programs. The big boys are trying to squeeze others out of their little club.

Not quite true. D1 football talent generally follows the population. Illinois has far more D1 talent than OK, TN, and AR. Arkansas had the same number of D1 players as MO. Kansas had 1 fewer than AR & MO. This is from the maxprep website on national signing day. http://www.maxpreps.com/football-signing-d...otball/home.htm

Schools regularly recruit players from all over the country. What makes you think college sports have rosters filled with locals? How many St. Louis players are on the Billikens Basketball team? There are football players from California, Texas, and Florida playing everywhere, especially with the scholarship reductions. It's not like the old days when Southern Cal had 120 scholarship football players.

I don't think SLU would make the financial commitment to football, but the local talent has little to do with it.

agreed. biondi is open to the idea if someone hands him 10 million for it. i think it's about time we tap into the endowment and take the same path as Charlotte. Start small and maybe in 12 years we could go D1.

You can't look just at SLU for this kind of a decision. You need to look at conferences. We don't fit in any conference based on geography and academics except those with football programs.

agreed. biondi is open to the idea if someone hands him 10 million for it. i think it's about time we tap into the endowment and take the same path as Charlotte. Start small and maybe in 12 years we could go D1.

You can't look just at SLU for this kind of a decision. You need to look at conferences. We don't fit in any conference based on geography and academics except those with football programs.

Sounds like a giant money hole to me. Why don't we get some name recognition in at least one sport before we start trying out one that will take more than a decade to get to a respectable level (not even talking a good team, more just D-1).

And as others have pointed out, we have to raise womens sports funding to match that increase for football team. So if someone hands Biondi a 10 mil check, we better have another 10 for womens teams ready to go.

Not just Charlotte. Even the A10, a "basketball only conference", has members such as Dayton which has football (non-scholarship - Pioneer Conf), Richmond, Temple and UMass (Colonial) and Fordham (Patriot Conf) and Papal Confererence hopefuls Villanova and G'Town also both have football ('Nova in the Colonial) and G'Town (Patriot conf).

there is no way i want anything to do with college football. hell we cant fund the sports we have now sufficiently.

sure the bcs schools are making money with football, the rest of college football programs are losers. between title IX and the sheer magnitude of additional facilities, coaches, administration, scholarships and overhead, no way slu would ever see black in athletics.

btw, usc will have 111 scholarshiped players next fall. (91 in spring practice and a 20 player recruiting class).

there is no way i want anything to do with college football. hell we cant fund the sports we have now sufficiently.

sure the bcs schools are making money with football, the rest of college football programs are losers. between title IX and the sheer magnitude of additional facilities, coaches, administration, scholarships and overhead, no way slu would ever see black in athletics.

btw, usc will have 111 scholarshiped players next fall. (91 in spring practice and a 20 player recruiting class).

I agree totally. At the same time, believe we SLU fan fail to recognize the sports and relationships that other schools have. I, for one, did not realize Fordham and G'Town had football teams much less played each other. If commited to football and if the economics of football exist for the non-BCS teams as well, certain schools we may consider to be basketball allies may choose differently for football.