OT: World Cup picks

OK, folks, the games begin in a few days, and I am ready to make my pick:

SPAIN!

and it has nothing to do with my having spent most of the spring semester hanging out in Madrid and being told by so many folks that this was the year for La Furia Roja!

My heart is still with those old guys from Italia, the defending champs; my head says the Spaniards.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, folks, the games begin in a few days, and I am ready to make my pick:

SPAIN!

and it has nothing to do with my having spent most of the spring semester hanging out in Madrid and being told by so many folks that this was the year for La Furia Roja!

My heart is still with those old guys from Italia, the defending champs; my head says the Spaniards.

France France France Netherlands Netherlands

Mexico Serbia Netherlands Italy

Argentina Netherlands Argentina

S. Korea Brazil Italy

England Argentina

USA USA

Germany Italy

Serbia Spain

Netherlands

Camaroon

Italy

Slovakia

Brazil

Portugal

Spain

Chile

edit This doesn't have the same spacing as it did when I wrote it.

Here's a different format

France, Mexico,Argentina, S. Korea, England, USA, Germany, Serbia, Netherlands, Cameroon, Italy, Slovakia, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Chile

France, Serbia, Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina, USA, Italy, Spain

France, Netherlands, Argentina, Italy

Netherlands, Italy

Netherlands

I'm betting the "under" in every game...

The real winners of this will be the people who don't have to watch it. Second place goes to the wnba because finally something on tv will be less entertaining than them.

The real winners of this will be the people who don't have to watch it. Second place goes to the wnba because finally something on tv will be less entertaining than them.

Ah yes, a game with constant action is considered boring.

I never did get how soccer can be labeled boring.

Hey Dumb Ass, the anti soccer schtick bandwagon has passed

Ah yes, a game with constant action is considered boring.

I never did get how soccer can be labeled boring.

The funny thing is, a lot of people who call soccer boring like racing. Football has less than 60 minutes of actual physical action in 3 1/2 hours and soccer is 90+ minutes of continuous play. And unlike a lot of sports, goals mean so much more. But before I let the soccer-hating rubes derail this conversation....

It has to be Spain or Brazil, right?

Italy is basically the same team but 4 years older and with less motivation. Germany is solid but has some injuries. England is putting too much on Rooney, and call it a gut feeling but I just don't see it with them this time. France is a trainwreck that didn't deserve to be there- heck, that probably means they'll win it. I like the Netherlands a lot and would like to see that but don't see them as complete or talented as Spain or Brazil. Maradona is too much of a wild card coach despite Argentina's talent. Don't sleep on Chile but they might not be ready to win the thing yet. But I don't know...

The funny thing is, a lot of people who call soccer boring like racing. Football has less than 60 minutes of actual physical action in 3 1/2 hours and soccer is 90+ minutes of continuous play. And unlike a lot of sports, goals mean so much more. But before I let the soccer-hating rubes derail this conversation....

Italy is basically the same team but 4 years older and with less motivation. Germany is solid but has some injuries. England is putting too much on Rooney, and call it a gut feeling but I just don't see it with them this time. France is a trainwreck that didn't deserve to be there- heck, that probably means they'll win it. I like the Netherlands a lot and would like to see that but don't see them as complete or talented as Spain or Brazil. Maradona is too much of a wild card coach despite Argentina's talent. Don't sleep on Chile but they might not be ready to win the thing yet. But I don't know...

actually football is about 15 minutes or less of action.

Very good breakdown, sir. In recent years Brazil hasn't used their talent to the best of their ability. They seem to have a problem winning the big games, but that's not to say they can't. They are always going to be in the hunt purely because of their talent.

Spain is loaded with talent, and seem to be playing excellent ball right now. They were running circles around Poland in their final tune-up before heading to the Cup.

The Netherlands has a good squad, but their constant attack mode seems to lead to a liability on defense; I don't see them advancing far into the knock out stage.

I like Argentina a lot, and I think Maradona is actually a decent coach, unlike what most people think. Messi has a chance to prove that he is indeed the best player in the world, if he can lead them deep into the tournament.

My favorite underdog is The Ivory Coast. Since they're in the group of death, and Drogba may not be available right away, they face a steep hill. If they could somehow get out of the group they could make a run.

As for us, I think the pieces are there to do some damage. There are a bunch of question marks, as many of you have already pointed out. I'd like to see us win the England game because then that would almost gaurantee us getting of the group stage. A loss to England and we risk getting upset later on and not advancing. Plus, if we can win the group, we would likely avoid facing Germany in the knockout round. We would also set ourselves up nicely for a potential round of 8 match up with a team like Greece or France.

Oh, because the World's most popular sport and the most watched sporting event is boring. Just because there isn't much scoring doesn't mean it is boring. After all, you are a Billiken fan and hey, we don't (or at least not until this season ) haven't scored much.

Very good breakdown, sir. In recent years Brazil hasn't used their talent to the best of their ability. They seem to have a problem winning the big games, but that's not to say they can't. They are always going to be in the hunt purely because of their talent.

Spain is loaded with talent, and seem to be playing excellent ball right now. They were running circles around Poland in their final tune-up before heading to the Cup.

The Netherlands has a good squad, but their constant attack mode seems to lead to a liability on defense; I don't see them advancing far into the knock out stage.

I like Argentina a lot, and I think Maradona is actually a decent coach, unlike what most people think. Messi has a chance to prove that he is indeed the best player in the world, if he can lead them deep into the tournament.

My favorite underdog is The Ivory Coast. Since they're in the group of death, and Drogba may not be available right away, they face a steep hill. If they could somehow get out of the group they could make a run.

As for us, I think the pieces are there to do some damage. There are a bunch of question marks, as many of you have already pointed out. I'd like to see us win the England game because then that would almost gaurantee us getting of the group stage. A loss to England and we risk getting upset later on and not advancing. Plus, if we can win the group, we would likely avoid facing Germany in the knockout round. We would also set ourselves up nicely for a potential round of 8 match up with a team like Greece or France.

That's why you can't sleep on Brazil; the most talented team has to be in the conversation. Plus, if the every-other-cup pattern holds for them, they're due for this one.

Isn't Drogba definitely out for group play and not 100% after that? I've heard so many conflicting reports of his status, and it crushes me that he got hurt before them. That's a team I would love to see make some noise.

I don't necessarily think Maradona is a bad coach, he just seems like a wild card. With him at the helm, they just don't seem stable. But if they do go deep, you're right about this being Messi's chance to establish himself as the man globally.

The Netherlands' constant attack mode makes them more fun to watch, if vulnerable in the back. Paired with the fact that I absolutely fell in love with this country on a trip there in 2008, I'll be rooting for them to go deep.

Then again, I also absolutely fell in love with New Zealand when I was there in October. They have a roster loaded with guys who played college ball in the US and current MLS players- it would be a miracle if they get out of the group, though.

It still crushes me that Ireland was eliminated by France the way they were. Since then, France has played poorly, suffered from scandals and infighting, and basically shown their roster to be loaded with prima donnas and general ######. Zidane was my favorite player to watch for so long but there's nothing left to make me pull for that team or have much confidence in them going far.

That's why you can't sleep on Brazil; the most talented team has to be in the conversation. Plus, if the every-other-cup pattern holds for them, they're due for this one.

Isn't Drogba definitely out for group play and not 100% after that? I've heard so many conflicting reports of his status, and it crushes me that he got hurt before them. That's a team I would love to see make some noise.

I don't necessarily think Maradona is a bad coach, he just seems like a wild card. With him at the helm, they just don't seem stable. But if they do go deep, you're right about this being Messi's chance to establish himself as the man globally.

The Netherlands' constant attack mode makes them more fun to watch, if vulnerable in the back. Paired with the fact that I absolutely fell in love with this country on a trip there in 2008, I'll be rooting for them to go deep.

Then again, I also absolutely fell in love with New Zealand when I was there in October. They have a roster loaded with guys who played college ball in the US and current MLS players- it would be a miracle if they get out of the group, though.

It still crushes me that Ireland was eliminated by France the way they were. Since then, France has played poorly, suffered from scandals and infighting, and basically shown their roster to be loaded with prima donnas and general ######. Zidane was my favorite player to watch for so long but there's nothing left to make me pull for that team or have much confidence in them going far.

I'm not sure about Drogba either, but if he's out that's a huge blow for them.

The Netherlands are indeed one of the most fun teams to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I like soccer and played until my sophomore year in high school but the sport frustrates me sometimes. I am all pumped up for the World Cup, woke up early and worked from home today to take it in. Then, the first game ends in a tie. I know it is part of the sport but man, the biggest stage you can have and there is no winner. It kinda bugs me.

Why you gotta dog the WNBA?

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I'm betting the "under" in every game...

Betting the "under" in World Cup Soccer is like shooting fish in a barrel. ;)

Underdog team goes into defensive rope-a-dope shell, hopes for a lucky break.

Great athletes, stupid sport.

Offsides? WTF? Did they call Michael Jordan for offsides after fast break slam dunk?

They cannot even tell you how much time is left in the goddam game.

Betting the "under" in World Cup Soccer is like shooting fish in a barrel. ;)

Offsides? WTF? Did they call Michael Jordan for offsides after fast break slam dunk?

Comparing a fast break in basketball to soccer doesn't work too well lol. A basketball court is what, 90 feet? A soccer pitch is much bigger. Plus, if someone is cherry picking in basketball the other team will likely score a high percentage of the time, that is why there is no need for any sort of "off-sides". In soccer, with 10 guys in the field, plus the keeper, it is much easier to stop the other team when a player is cherry picking.

Betting the "under" in World Cup Soccer is like shooting fish in a barrel. :lol:

not only are you dumb enough to comment in a thread on a sport you clearly don't like or follow, you have so little life that when no one responds to your assinine remark, you feel compelled to respond yourself.

Does talking to yourself get lonely?

If you don't like soccer, stay the f..k off the thread and show a little respect for those that do.

Thoughts on the games so far?

I thought Germany looked good, but the Austaralians aren't and they played a man down for almost half, so it's a bit hard to judge.

The Netherlands looked pretty good against a decent Denmark team.

I watched Brazil - N. Korea this morning and was impressed with how clean the game was. N. Korea packs it in and looks to counter, but they are very organized in back and forced Brazil to shoot from distance far too often.

Algeria and Slovenia was an extremely boring game almost putting me to sleep at times. For most of the game it looked like they had a gentlemens agreement to tie and both get a point worked out in advance.

Thoughts on the games so far?

I thought Germany looked good, but the Austaralians aren't and they played a man down for almost half, so it's a bit hard to judge.

The Netherlands looked pretty good against a decent Denmark team.

I watched Brazil - N. Korea this morning and was impressed with how clean the game was. N. Korea packs it in and looks to counter, but they are very organized in back and forced Brazil to shoot from distance far too often.

Algeria and Slovenia was an extremely boring game almost putting me to sleep at times. For most of the game it looked like they had a gentlemens agreement to tie and both get a point worked out in advance.

Netherlands should have won 4-0 but their performance didn't inspire as much confidence as they usually do. Although perhaps this is for the best, as so often the dutch have played brilliantly only to burn out early. Perhaps van Marwijk knows what he's doing with this solid style.

One of the things I've noticed right now in our schizoid/paranoid negative culture is the almost irrational resentment and anger that many "masculine" real dudes, real football-loving Americans feel toward the World Cup. It's almost as if these narrow-minded tough guys sense a threat from abroad or something. For example:

Last night drifting off to sleep I listened to a long and tedious skit on Jimmy Fallon making fun of soccer, which was funny for about 15 seconds but then -- OK, we get it, duh? It is common to hear sportscasters on networks and talk radio disparaging the World cup -- even calling it a sissy sport in one instance. I would compare it to boycotts against France in the early years after 9/11 (ps turns out France was right about not getting overly-involved in the Middle East, btw).

I'd be interested to know anyone's theory about this obvious male American animosity toward the World Cup. It was sort of funny in a quaint way, at first, but now it is so obnoxious and stupid that there seems to be some other sinister and alien force at work. Of course if you don't like soccer, then fine. But it is the very loud and very in your face criticisms of soccer as being boring etc. that have me wondering-- what's your point??

I often have students tell me how boring great works of literature are, evidently oblivious to the fact that their statement is a huge strike against their own intelligence and taste. Once I heard someone tell me Paris was BORING. imagine that . . . . .

just wondering.

not only are you dumb enough to comment in a thread on a sport you clearly don't like or follow, you have so little life that when no one responds to your assinine remark, you feel compelled to respond yourself.

Does talking to yourself get lonely?

If you don't like soccer, stay the f..k off the thread and show a little respect for those that do.

Relax, soccer breath, it is an "OT" subject.

Inane, juvenile hot-head posts by slufanskip: I will bet the "over".