OT: World Cup picks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mexico-Uruguay game has been a pretty good.

Finals are in:

Uruguay 1, Mexico 0

South Africa 2, France 1

Uruguay and Mexico will advance, as SA did not make up the goal differential. The second set of games today should be interesting, too, with Argentina taking on Greece and Nigeria vs. South Korea. Will most likely be Argentina and the winner of the other one.

You must be happy about Mexico advancing then, right?

They played us well in a friendly in Mexico City a few months back. I wouldn't overlook them.

As far as the Francos go, insert Maginot Line or any WWII joke here _________. An awful display for a football-rich nation.

They played us well in a friendly in Mexico City a few months back. I wouldn't overlook them.

As far as the Francos go, insert Maginot Line or any WWII joke here _________. An awful display for a football-rich nation.

Doesn't seem like any of those jokes have much potential for actually being funny. I'm glad to see France get bounced mainly because they shouldn't have been in there in the first place: handball, cheap goal, missed call- the Irish got royally screwed. France should have therefore been extremely grateful to be in the tournament, acted with class, and kept their mouths shut. Instead, they've been rocked with scandals, infighting, bad press, bad coaching, and just about every negative, immature behavior a group of adults could possibly display. Good riddance.

I don't have strong feelings about Mexico or Uruguay but would have liked to see South Africa get out of that group. I guess I would have picked Mexico as the other one because they could use a positive, unifying event like that and it would be cool for the big Mexican-American population here.

Doesn't seem like any of those jokes have much potential for actually being funny. I'm glad to see France get bounced mainly because they shouldn't have been in there in the first place: handball, cheap goal, missed call- the Irish got royally screwed. France should have therefore been extremely grateful to be in the tournament, acted with class, and kept their mouths shut. Instead, they've been rocked with scandals, infighting, bad press, bad coaching, and just about every negative, immature behavior a group of adults could possibly display. Good riddance.

I don't have strong feelings about Mexico or Uruguay but would have liked to see South Africa get out of that group. I guess I would have picked Mexico as the other one because they could use a positive, unifying event like that and it would be cool for the big Mexican-American population here.

Ah, I forgot about the la main de Dieu goal against IRE. As St. Patrick would say, the French were snake-bitten!