Interesting: Profit Margins for Basketball

Hawk

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/18/news/compa...ofits/index.htm

Keep in mind this aren't necessarily accurate due to the way each school does their accounting.

Some schools of note: revenue (profit margin %)

SLU - 3,105,150 (0.0%)

Xavier - 8,791,518 (55.2%)

Dayton - 9,091,521 (62.6%)

Missouri State - 3,745,378 (50.9%)

SIUC - 1,805,378 (-23%)

Looks to be a pure bookkeeping exercise.

Looks to be a pure bookkeeping exercise.

Agreed. The numbers are clearly manipulated. For example, does Billiken Club membership, required giving or otherwise, count towards the basketball program or is it spread out among all the sports?

Keep in mind this aren't necessarily accurate due to the way each school does their accounting.

SLU - 3,105,150 (0.0%)

SIUC - 1,805,378 (-23%)

Well, it's breakeven with our 0.0% net pm%. Wonder how MSU generates more revenue than us? But Dayton and XU certainly are impressive as their profit probably funds the rest of their Athletic Depts. Also, considering RM and staff salaries probably are at least 50% of our costs, we're holding our own. Hopefully, however, we can generate some like $'s to DU and X. Question that I'm sure has been asked before, but can't remember answer (senior moment), when X, Temple, and Richmond go to the dance the money for their making it goes to the conference for distribution, correct? Do they get a larger share than us or is it spread around equally? Would assume their appearance earns them a bigger chunk of the cash w/ the balance going to how schools finish in the standings. Also, since X and SLU have basically the same size arena's, and even if you assume X is sold out every game and we're at 75%, attendance alone doesn't translate into an almost $5.7 mil advantage in revenues. Where does the huge difference come from? Sales of clothing, TV revenues, NCAA appearance and making the sweet 16? The fact their revenues and DU's are 3 times greater than ours is pretty impressive.

SLU - 3,105,150 (0.0%)

SIUC - 1,805,378 (-23%)

COUNTING CBI tournament we had about 18 home games plus we had to have some revenue sharing from the NCAA and NIT

7,000 season ticket holders plus walk ins plus sales concessions at the games. If you use figure $25 per ticket and $25 extra for regular season

home games for Billiken Club this thing has to generate $5,250,000 without concessions; these are way bogus numbers

I also like how we're listed as "Saint Louis University - Main Campus." I wonder if the Med School and the Madrid campus' b-ball teams are making any money.

I'd like to see SLU-Madrid's numbers for the bullfighting program.

I am going to bet when the cost of paying off the debt on the Arena....... that the school barely broke even or lost money on the basketball program last year.

I doubt that. If memory serves we were only borrowing about 20 million. Debt service on that would be less than 1 million. Also don't forget that the buiding brings in other revenue- from Carry Underwood to Glen Beck. They have done a good job of keeping the building busy.

I doubt that. If memory serves we were only borrowing about 20 million. Debt service on that would be less than 1 million. Also don't forget that the buiding brings in other revenue- from Carry Underwood to Glen Beck. They have done a good job of keeping the building busy.

I thought it was a lot more than that, but you could be right.

COUNTING CBI tournament we had about 18 home games plus we had to have some revenue sharing from the NCAA and NIT

7,000 season ticket holders plus walk ins plus sales concessions at the games. If you use figure $25 per ticket and $25 extra for regular season

home games for Billiken Club this thing has to generate $5,250,000 without concessions; these are way bogus numbers

All the money for seat licenses that are labeled Billiken Club goes to Biondi to pay off the bonds for the building so the AD does get any of the seat fees.