Now That Jordan is Gone

It sounds like everybody on the board thinks we will be signing Jordair Jett. Well what are the chances we get Majok Majok instead? I see he has an offer from Harvard. I am very impressed! He must be a very bright kid.

If he wants to get a great education and play a higher level of basketball then SLU would be the place to go. Scout has only two schools as high interest, SLU and Colorado. That is probably dated information but given that I give SLU a good chance of getting him.

For me, I would take Majok and play a two guard offense. Make the other teams match up with us.

It sounds like everybody on the board thinks we will be signing Jordair Jett. Well what are the chances we get Majok Majok instead? I see he has an offer from Harvard. I am very impressed! He must be a very bright kid.

If he wants to get a great education and play a higher level of basketball then SLU would be the place to go. Scout has only two schools as high interest, SLU and Colorado. That is probably dated information but given that I give SLU a good chance of getting him.

For me, I would take Majok and play a two guard offense. Make the other teams match up with us.

guards: KC, KM, Femi, Paul, MM, CS not necessarily in that order do we need more than 50 percent guards? Obviously, not the starting or finishing order

on who plays.

I still think we need a true 5 on this team if Ellis is an example some of our bigs would rather float out than bang.

I think we will bring in Jett and another player. Majok Majok is a very good possibility, but we will have to wait and see.

As for Harvard, Amaker has received some heat over the academics of some of the kids he's brought into the program. It's not like they're all potential Rhodes scholars.

guards: KC, KM, Femi, Paul, MM, CS not necessarily in that order do we need more than 50 percent guards? Obviously, not the starting or finishing order

on who plays.

I still think we need a true 5 on this team if Ellis is an example some of our bigs would rather float out than bang.

Even if PE doesn't play many minutes (assuming he even plays at all-I can see him not playing BB this year) there still aren't many 1/2 minutes available to new players. If you assume 100 minutes per game (80 for 1/2 and 20 more for the 3 spot), how many could the new JJ play? I think it is safe to project KM for 30, MM for 25, KC for 25 and CS for 20 and that takes care of the 100 minutes available. Do we really think Jett would be happy with that situation? Redshirt him? Why, is he really worth 5 scholarship years? Twelve players of the quality of our current roster is enough, especially when you consider that that "open" scholarship is the only one availabe for next years recruiting class!

For those who say now is the time to add a PG to the team to follow up when KM leaves, from all reports we already have that player-MM. Even if we would like to bring another in next year, I would rather see if this coaching staff can do better than Jett-I think they can. Jett might be good, but I think we can do better-if he is so good, why is he still available? I agree with 68-get a "5" next year, don't waste this 13th scholarship on a player (Jett) who won't contribute much for a few years, if ever.

Even if PE doesn't play many minutes (assuming he even plays at all-I can see him not playing BB this year) there still aren't many 1/2 minutes available to new players. If you assume 100 minutes per game (80 for 1/2 and 20 more for the 3 spot), how many could the new JJ play? I think it is safe to project KM for 30, MM for 25, KC for 25 and CS for 20 and that takes care of the 100 minutes available. Do we really think Jett would be happy with that situation? Redshirt him? Why, is he really worth 5 scholarship years? Twelve players of the quality of our current roster is enough, especially when you consider that that "open" scholarship is the only one availabe for next years recruiting class!

For those who say now is the time to add a PG to the team to follow up when KM leaves, from all reports we already have that player-MM. Even if we would like to bring another in next year, I would rather see if this coaching staff can do better than Jett-I think they can. Jett might be good, but I think we can do better-if he is so good, why is he still available? I agree with 68-get a "5" next year, don't waste this 13th scholarship on a player (Jett) who won't contribute much for a few years, if ever.

Bauman, you and goslu68 make very good points in your remarks. We need a true center or forward who is STRONG on the boards!

How will the 5 be any different. We have Willie at 25 -30 mpg now and for the next 2 years. We have Cory who was playing pretty well at the end of the season and will be even better after a summer learning better offensive moves and putting on muscle in the weight room. We will have Rob Loe who could log some minutes at the 5.

The reality is new kids coming in may not be able to step in and contribute much early in their careers unless we start getting Mickie D all americans. We don't have a true pg on our roster now. KM imo is more of a 1-2 as is MM. The description of Jett is that he has great vision and pinpoint passing ability along with the court sense of a 30 year old. I say you bring him in and let the roster play itself out.

How will the 5 be any different. We have Willie at 25 -30 mpg now and for the next 2 years. We have Cory who was playing pretty well at the end of the season and will be even better after a summer learning better offensive moves and putting on muscle in the weight room. We will have Rob Loe who could log some minutes at the 5.

The reality is new kids coming in may not be able to step in and contribute much early in their careers unless we start getting Mickie D all americans. We don't have a true pg on our roster now. KM imo is more of a 1-2 as is MM. The description of Jett is that he has great vision and pinpoint passing ability along with the court sense of a 30 year old. I say you bring him in and let the roster play itself out.

Agreed. For the most part, our roster for the next 2 years is set, so it's time to be setting ourselves up to sustain in the long run. If Jett is a true point, let him be the future of the program and learn from KM over the next couple of seasons, so we can transition easily once Kwamain graduates.

College basketball is a guard oriented game. If RM sees a dominate 5, he will land him. That should be obvious.

By comparison, this past year, minutes played were KM (32.8), CS (28.3), KC (32.4) and JJ (18.2). If we land Jett, he will not replace JJ. Instead, he will be added to the team and competition/results will dictate how much time each plays. I am not ready to annoint MM as KM's successor and guarantee him 25 mpg. Based upon 2 years of proven performance, KM is probably safe and 30 mpg is probably right. All the others are just guesses. If Jett performs and MM not, MM will sit the bench and/or leave by X-Mas or at this time next year. Same with Jett, CS and possibly KC, though, I think KC's game is a bit different. Also, KC will already be JR and have no reason to leave after his JR year. Instead, worst case scenario is that the young kids play, they play well, they outperform guys like KC, that KC starts to sit the bench his JR year and then becomes role player back-up his SR year while he finishes up school and graduates.

Remember. The one-year scholarship problems faced by JJ, JR (and now possibly JS and FJ) is due to the fact that these guys are so young and that their competition is just as young if not younger. This is a natual problem when a program like SLU has no JRs and SRs. No other team in D1 is like SLU!! I have never seen such a roster of players. Most kids can deal with sitting behind a JR or SR while waiting for their chance. Also, most kids can deal with the fact that they got passed-over on the depth charts by a younger kid and simply make the best of it while they prepared to finish college and get their degree. These normal situations are not occurring here at SLU.

Instead, guys like JJ, JR and JS have 3 years ahead of them and yet are finding they are stuck behind kids that will be longer them, the same time as them and/or behind the "oldest" kids who will be here 2 more of their 3 years. Jett/MM will only have to sit behind KM for 2 years - big difference than what JJ faced.

RM's truthfully talking about playing time and their playing future for kids with 3 years left on this unique roster should be a positive thing whether the kids' names are JR and JJ or, JS and FJ, or in the past Anthony Mitchell...

Agreed. For the most part, our roster for the next 2 years is set, so it's time to be setting ourselves up to sustain in the long run. If Jett is a true point, let him be the future of the program and learn from KM over the next couple of seasons, so we can transition easily once Kwamain graduates.

Shoe and Skip, your points ignore the specifics in my post. Where are the minutes for Jett during the next two years? KM is doing just fine at the Point and reports are that MM can also play there. Look at the minutes available in my post-where do you see me going wrong? There just isn't enough time for Jett to play/contribute for two years. If we must get another PG, fine, but not now and not Jett.

Skip as to your point about the same situation existing at the "5", remember I'm suggesting we get a "5" in next years recruiting class when WR will be a senior. Reports seem to indicate that RL will not be a "5", but rather more like a 3 or 4, wanting to play out of the paint while facing the basket. We really don't have a true backup 5 unless you consider CR to be that player and he may be a little short to play major minutes at that spot.

Again, if we sign Jett we have zero scholarships available for next year. I believe we would be better served to use that sch. next year on a good 5 or a PG better than Jett. I read all the same things you do and I just don't see Jett as a difference maker and I think RM and the boys are at the point were they can bring in diference makers.

Jett went to a prep school for a year to test the waters this recruiting year... So I doubt he's going to want to sit a year on redshirt, that's two years off of playing with a truly team oriented game where he can get synergized with a more permanent team.

Shoe and Skip, your points ignore the specifics in my post. Where are the minutes for Jett during the next two years? KM is doing just fine at the Point and reports are that MM can also play there. Look at the minutes available in my post-where do you see me going wrong? There just isn't enough time for Jett to play/contribute for two years. If we must get another PG, fine, but not now and not Jett.

Skip as to your point about the same situation existing at the "5", remember I'm suggesting we get a "5" in next years recruiting class when WR will be a senior. Reports seem to indicate that RL will not be a "5", but rather more like a 3 or 4, wanting to play out of the paint while facing the basket. We really don't have a true backup 5 unless you consider CR to be that player and he may be a little short to play major minutes at that spot.

Again, if we sign Jett we have zero scholarships available for next year. I believe we would be better served to use that sch. next year on a good 5 or a PG better than Jett. I read all the same things you do and I just don't see Jett as a difference maker and I think RM and the boys are at the point were they can bring in diference makers.

I did think you meant this year at the 5.

I haven't seen Jett play, but if you look at who's recruiting him, and combine that with what espn says, who knows if he could be a difference maker. My point is we don't have a true pg. Maybe KM can be that guy, but I haven't seen it. Maybe MM is better than Jett and gets more minutes, maybe he's not. I'd make a bet right now, that even if Jett comes, we'll have a scholarship available next year.

I haven't seen Jett play, but if you look at who's recruiting him, and combine that with what espn says, who knows if he could be a difference maker. My point is we don't have a true pg. Maybe KM can be that guy, but I haven't seen it. Maybe MM is better than Jett and gets more minutes, maybe he's not. I'd make a bet right now, that even if Jett comes, we'll have a scholarship available next year.

I agree with your last point, I also believe we will have another sch. available for next year. With those two, (Jordans and unnamed future loss) I would like to see us add a true 5 and an outstanding 1, next year.

I agree with your last point, I also believe we will have another sch. available for next year. With those two, (Jordans and unnamed future loss) I would like to see us add a true 5 and an outstanding 1, next year.

So why not sign that outstanding 1 now? Or do you not think Jett will be that outstanding 1, and if not, why not?

I'm fine at the 5. I know Loe isn't a 5, but he could play it a bit. I'm also good with Cory. He's come a long way this year, he was the defensive player of the year in a good basketball area in HS. He'll get stronger and develop more moves. I'm all for adding another big, but I don't want to have a scholarship go unused. The playing time will sort itself out. Imo, you add the best players you can and let the cream rise to the top.

Skip.

Why do you keep saying that KM is not a true pg? B/c he can also shoot from the outside? He handles the ball quite well, he breaks the press, he runs the offense, he dribble penetrates, he's a great passer - and he can score. If he is not a true PG, who is??

Skip.

Why do you keep saying that KM is not a true pg? B/c he can also shoot from the outside? He handles the ball quite well, he breaks the press, he runs the offense, he dribble penetrates, he's a great passer - and he can score. If he is not a true PG, who is??

I would argue that KC is the PG more times than not. He brings it up the floor as much as KM. Leads us in assist but KM is right behind him. Leads us in Assist/TO ratio. Although that might be a function of KM needing to score more.

I would also argue that we have 3 guys that to me look like they can play PG: KC, KM, and CS and have recruited one more in MM. Not to say we should not sign Jett, but I think we have a lot of options at the point. We have a lot of options everywhere, really.

Skip.

Yes, because he can shoot and I feel that real pg's shouldn't shoot and if they do they should be spanked by the entire team.

He doesn't really run the offense, I wouldn't call him a great passer either. He's a 2 guard in a pg's body who has good handles and can play the point.

And ... even if we disagree and you think he is, Jett would be 2 years behind him.

I would argue that KC is the PG more times than not. He brings it up the floor as much as KM. Leads us in assist but KM is right behind him. Leads us in Assist/TO ratio. Although that might be a function of KM needing to score more.

I would also argue that we have 3 guys that to me look like they can play PG: KC, KM, and CS and have recruited one more in MM. Not to say we should not sign Jett, but I think we have a lot of options at the point. We have a lot of options everywhere, really.

So if we are facing a pressure defense during a critical time of the game, you would make sure the ball is in KC's hands?? I say NO WAY. I want the ball in KM's hands. Same with the ball, a close game and 30 seconds on the clock. If not, then KC is not the primary pg no matter what your numbers may suggest.

Yes, because he can shoot and I feel that real pg's shouldn't shoot and if they do they should be spanked by the entire team.

He doesn't really run the offense, I wouldn't call him a great passer either. He's a 2 guard in a pg's body who has good handles and can play the point.

And ... even if we disagree and you think he is, Jett would be 2 years behind him.

Interesting. I guess we just agree to disagree.

Not following your comment about Jett being 2 years behind and your prediction about a scholarship next year.

So if we are facing a pressure defense during a critical time of the game, you would make sure the ball is in KC's hands?? I say NO WAY. I want the ball in KM's hands. Same with the ball, a close game and 30 seconds on the clock. If not, then KC is not the primary pg no matter what your numbers may suggest.

if we are behind with less than two minutes to play, i want it mitchell's hands to score. if we are ahead in the last two minutes, i want it in salecich's hands to shoot free throws. if we are bringing the ball down the floor to intiate the offense in the first 38 minutes of the game, i put the ball in cassity's hands to make sure the offense that will involve the entire team gets started correctly.

I would agree with that. 2 or 3 inches taller and KM would be playing BCS ball, probably at Marquette, right now. He's a great player, but he is undersized as a SG, which he plays more naturally than PG.

Interesting. I guess we just agree to disagree.

Not following your comment about Jett being 2 years behind and your prediction about a scholarship next year.

my point was Jett could come on this year and we add a 5 next year or if we find a 5 that we like this year, we expalin to another kid his likely oportunity to ride the bench here at SLU. He smartly decides to transfer and we add the 5.

Look, it'll work itself out. We need to continually add the best players we can add. If a player isn't in the top 13 ... uh-oh, time to go.

I would agree with that. 2 or 3 inches taller and KM would be playing BCS ball, probably at Marquette, right now. He's a great player, but he is undersized as a SG, which he plays more naturally than PG.

why do you say that? did mitchell declare his love for the warriors growing up or something? if you are just theorizing he would have tried to go "bigger time" than little ole slu and stayed somewhat local, wouldnt he have went for the bigger fish wisconsin? i dont follow the warriors roster, but i actually find it hard to believe they have a better guard than mitchell now so wouldnt marquette have still recruited him?

my guess is you really wanted him on the kansas roster as one of those famed walkons that are typically better than any guard in billiken history didnt you.

why do you say that? did mitchell declare his love for the warriors growing up or something? if you are just theorizing he would have tried to go "bigger time" than little ole slu and stayed somewhat local, wouldnt he have went for the bigger fish wisconsin? i dont follow the warriors roster, but i actually find it hard to believe they have a better guard than mitchell now so wouldnt marquette have still recruited him?

my guess is you really wanted him on the kansas roster as one of those famed walkons that are typically better than any guard in billiken history didnt you.

Marquette didnt want him. nor did any marquette fans 2 years ago.