Keep the team, kill the rumors

bk18

I think what's really best for SLU is to stick with the 13 guys we have now + DY. One thing that often gets overlooked is the fact that showing loyalty to recruits is an important selling point for a program. If we slash half of our recruits, it looks bad.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what's really best for SLU is to stick with the 13 guys we have now + DY. One thing that often gets overlooked is the fact that showing loyalty to recruits is an important selling point for a program. If we slash half of our recruits, it looks bad.

Glad you know what's best for SLU. Thanks Coach! Who said anything about slashing half our recruits as far as I know the only fact we know is that Jeff Reid is gone and Loe is coming in. You are putting alot of stock into rumors bk. Don't let them get to you. By the way Athletic Director BK18 hows your New Big East?

I disagree that being upfront with a kid and telling him that he won't have many minutes if he remains at SLU is "slashing" him. These kids were all studs in high school and want to play. Why not let them know they may have a better opportunity to do that elsewhere?

Nobody is getting slashed. Its a shame more people don't subscribe to or read Nate's premium message board as the truth about how an additional scholarship could open up has been discussed on that board for about a week now. Multiple people there have confirmed it will be the player's choice if someone leaves.

Glad you know what's best for SLU. Thanks Coach! Who said anything about slashing half our recruits as far as I know the only fact we know is that Jeff Reid is gone and Loe is coming in. You are putting alot of stock into rumors bk. Don't let them get to you. By the way Athletic Director BK18 hows your New Big East?

Your comment makes no sense. I am the one responding to rumors saying I hope these aren't true and I hope we just keep the team the way it is.

I think its reasonable to at least consider the Jordair Jett rumor reasonable considering ESPN said he visited last weekend and the NY Post said he committed to here. And if you look at the rumors there is the major implication that someone may be leaving. Jordair Jett wouldn't come to SLU unless he was on scholarship. He's not going to pay $120,000 to compete with KM and MM when he had offers elsewhere. He can't get a scholarship unless someone leaves.

And when it comes to the New Big East, I think as more and more articles are released - people are beginning to say almost the exact same thing that I proposed a few months ago. I said the Big East schools would split between football and non-football.

College Sports Info .com says: In time, the Big East could split into 2 conferences, whereby the non-football schools could add 2-4 members such as Xavier, Dayton, Richmond, Charlotte, St. Louis, etc.

I still think my proposal is very reasonable and all press releases seem to lean in the direction of my predictions.

By my count RM's recruited 15 players to SLU, 3 have left, all of their own accord by what's been said on here. You can't blame him for UB's recruits leaving. If a current player is considering pulling out it's probably because he's worried about playing time. I'd guess his team mates would encourage him to stay but also not become a bunch of dissatisfied brats if he left. They want to win as much as RM does.

Nobody is getting slashed. Its a shame more people don't subscribe to or read Nate's premium message board as the truth about how an additional scholarship could open up has been discussed on that board for about a week now. Multiple people there have confirmed it will be the player's choice if someone leaves.

Not a shame at all. If you feel so bad, go ahead and post about the truth. There are ways to post to the non-paying public w/o financially damaging Nate and his hard work. At some point, seems like errors are made the other way. Information is information. I would think that even Nate wouldn't mind some of his premium content be released on this forum and/or somewhere else after a certain amount of time.

No one is suggesting that someone simply copy Nate's premium messages, only minutes later, and then blast them all over Billikens.com. At the same time, I find it abit funny that apparent facts come out over a year later, that Nate is cited as the authority and that these items don't ever make it public.

Not a shame at all. If you feel so bad, go ahead and post about the truth. There are ways to post to the non-paying public w/o financially damaging Nate and his hard work. At some point, seems like errors are made the other way. Information is information. I would think that even Nate wouldn't mind some of his premium content be released on this forum and/or somewhere else after a certain amount of time.

No one is suggesting that someone simply copy Nate's premium messages, only minutes later, and then blast them all over Billikens.com. At the same time, I find it abit funny that apparent facts come out over a year later, that Nate is cited as the authority and that these items don't ever make it public.

Lots of premium content does make it from his site to here but that isn't the point. The point is that when people have only half the information they tend to wildly speculate and spread false information. Its clear to me from reading a lot of the posts day after day on this board fair amount of people are incapable of separating the truth from b.s. and the b.s. becomes reality in their mind.

For example, speculation that somebody is getting "slashed" is wrong, yet if enough people guess that that is occuring it will become the common belief over here.

Just because its the players' choice doesn't mean anything. Coaches play a hidden role. I don't know how it works, but the Kentucky's and the Kansas's of college basketball I would imagine basically have the coaches talk to players and say, "you can stay but I don't think its best for you. You probably won't play here. I think what's best for you is to play somewhere else." And there may be truth to that, but the coach wants their scholarship spot open more than anything. I know Tom Crean did this at Marquette and Indiana and I would imagine it happens more than you think. Pretty press releases make things look good.

I don't know what is being discussed on Nate's board, but let me know if there is a way to have all 13 of our scholarship players stay on scholarship and we still add more scholarship players.

Just because its the players' choice doesn't mean anything. Coaches play a hidden role. I don't know how it works, but the Kentucky's and the Kansas's of college basketball I would imagine basically have the coaches talk to players and say, "you can stay but I don't think its best for you. You probably won't play here. I think what's best for you is to play somewhere else." And there may be truth to that, but the coach wants their scholarship spot open more than anything. I know Tom Crean did this at Marquette and Indiana and I would imagine it happens more than you think. Pretty press releases make things look good.

I don't know what is being discussed on Nate's board, but let me know if there is a way to have all 13 of our scholarship players stay on scholarship and we still add more scholarship players.

You called it slashing. That is making a terrible accusation while having nothing to back it up with. You essentially accused Majerus of going into players rooms, throwing all their stuff out on the lawn and telling them get lost. If someone decides to leave it will be because they made the decision based on the information that they will not get the playing time they want.

Imagine that your playing at Arizona St.(random school to avoid emotional attatchment) and coach calls you in at the end of the year as he has every other player and says, "I'm going to be up front with you bk, we're going to have a hard time finding time for you on the floor next year. That being said you can stay on the team on scholarship or look elsewhere for maybe a better opportunity to get on the floor and play.

Now imagine that your playing for the same team. The coach doesn't tell you about expected PT for next year and you work your ass off expecting to get on the court and you ride the bench all season. Now there you've lost 2 complete seasons because coach didn't present you with the reality that you might get splinters in your ass all season.

So tell me again, how is being up front and telling the kid not to expect much PT and if he wants to play he might want to think about playing elsewhere.

I'm also positive that Majerus and staff would also help the kid find a place to play.

You called it slashing. That is making a terrible accusation while having nothing to back it up with. You essentially accused Majerus of going into players rooms, throwing all their stuff out on the lawn and telling them get lost. If someone decides to leave it will be because they made the decision based on the information that they will not get the playing time they want.

Imagine that your playing at Arizona St.(random school to avoid emotional attatchment) and coach calls you in at the end of the year as he has every other player and says, "I'm going to be up front with you bk, we're going to have a hard time finding time for you on the floor next year. That being said you can stay on the team on scholarship or look elsewhere for maybe a better opportunity to get on the floor and play.

Now imagine that your playing for the same team. The coach doesn't tell you about expected PT for next year and you work your ass off expecting to get on the court and you ride the bench all season. Now there you've lost 2 complete seasons because coach didn't present you with the reality that you might get splinters in your ass all season.

So tell me again, how is being up front and telling the kid not to expect much PT and if he wants to play he might want to think about playing elsewhere.

I'm also positive that Majerus and staff would also help the kid find a place to play.

But what if the kid still wants to say. Anthony Mitchell wanted to stay. I heard JJ wanted to stay. Thats when I think it goes from the scenario you described to 'we will not have a scholarship for you next year',

But what if the kid still wants to say. Anthony Mitchell wanted to stay. I heard JJ wanted to stay. Thats when I think it goes from the scenario you described to 'we will not have a scholarship for you next year',

NH where are you getting anything that says Majerus has told kids we don't have a scholarship for them? If they want to stay then they should stay as I assume Majerus would let them.

At the end of the day, the coaching staff will get their way.

"I mean really, man, we could just ###### you up." - Tron Moser

"You know, we tryin' to be, you know, combenial about this ######." - Tyree Majerus

"But worse come to worse... we do reserve the right to ###### you up." - Tron Moser

NH where are you getting anything that says Majerus has told kids we don't have a scholarship for them? If they want to stay then they should stay as I assume Majerus would let them.

Firstly, and I know this is a different scenario, he did it a couple of years ago with AK, AM and DM. He has done it before, but I was not upset about it that time since he didn't recruit those kids. However, I am not naive enough to think that if a recruit wants to come here, and RM thinks he will help the team, he will not have a spot. Why do you think JJ is probably leaving? Because RM needs his scholarship.

I would bet people that if Jordair Jett comes he will end up transferring out. I'm serious, I am very confident he will end up transferring.

Firstly, and I know this is a different scenario, he did it a couple of years ago with AK, AM and DM. He has done it before, but I was not upset about it that time since he didn't recruit those kids. However, I am not naive enough to think that if a recruit wants to come here, and RM thinks he will help the team, he will not have a spot. Why do you think JJ is probably leaving? Because RM needs his scholarship.

I would bet people that if Jordair Jett comes he will end up transferring out. I'm serious, I am very confident he will end up transferring.

I must have missed the JJ leaving post. Couldn't Jordair Jett (by the way a pretty cool name) be taking PE's scholie by mutual agreement between PE and RM? Or am I over the count?

Your last statement is ridiculous on a lot of levels. First, this player is not even here yet. Secondly, how in the world can you already speculate that this player (if he signs) will transfer? Did you think Kwamain or Kyle would transfer when they signed?

Your last statement is ridiculous on a lot of levels. First, this player is not even here yet. Secondly, how in the world can you already speculate that this player (if he signs) will transfer? Did you think Kwamain or Kyle would transfer when they signed?

No, but I did think that Justin Jordan would transfer for the same reason I think Jett would transfer. There will not be enough minutes for them. Also, i know he's not here yet which is why I included the "if". You may disagree, but it was said with JJ and I'm saying it will happen again if Jett becomes a Bill.

I must have missed the JJ leaving post. Couldn't Jordair Jett (by the way a pretty cool name) be taking PE's scholie by mutual agreement between PE and RM? Or am I over the count?

Sigh. With PE we currently have 14 scholarship players. Without him we have 13, the maximum. So RM would need to ask someone to laugh, cough, I mean alert them of their situation and help them find a place where they can truly thrive, in order for us to add another player.

Come on 72. You read this board every day. How could you not know what the count is?

So you are freaking guessing? Yet in other posts you say "I heard JJ wanted to stay." Did you just make that up?

At the end of the day, the coaching staff will get their way.

"I mean really, man, we could just ###### you up." - Tron Moser

"You know, we tryin' to be, you know, combenial about this ######." - Tyree Majerus

"But worse come to worse... we do reserve the right to ###### you up." - Tron Moser

"See, we bout ta thow ###### dayown and ball hard core up in this *****"

"For real sun, so you best be ballin' hard core or this train leavin' witoutcha."

"Well I guess I best be on my way den"

"Yeah you best. It ain't nuttin personal tho. Jus bidnis. Aight we coo?"

I was very confident about a lot of things when I was 15 too......I just hope you are taking your high school education as seriously as you are this message board. BTW....I predicted Vincent Smith leaving the program before he got here.